To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Making a bittersweet decision.... (not about FW lol)

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

RedBaron

Making a bittersweet decision.... (not about FW lol)

Postby RedBaron » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:20 pm

No, I'm not leaving FW, before anybody wonders that lol.

Because of FW, I started my writing/editing business with my own website. I haven't done anything with the site in ages, mostly using it for the email address. I've been able to get more work through other avenues. It never really "paid off", mostly because I didn't really work it. It took time away from other things. It was hacked months ago, so there is nothing there, as I never got around to redoing it after they reset it for me. They cleared out all the trash for me.

My domain is up for renewal, but I'm seriously considering letting EaglesWingsWriting.com go. As mentioned, I haven't updated the site in forever. The email address has become a spam magnet more and more. Part of me doesn't want to give it up, partly because of what I know happens to domains that are abandoned (they get purchased by spammers). Many times, they leave your content there, adding spam links, other times it is worse. I really don't want to see that happen, but I really don't see any sense in paying for something I'm not really using to the full potential.

I've got a few days to make my final decision, but I'm really leaning towards just letting it go.

If anybody has any advice or thoughts, please share them :)
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Making a bittersweet decision.... (not about FW lol)

Postby Deb Porter » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Shari, sounds like you've already made the decision. Unless you think you will want to relaunch it someday, I'd say let it go. You could hold onto the domain, but let the hosting lapse, if you think you may want to relaunch it in the future. Otherwise, maybe time for new things.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:46 pm

I think you're right. I think I just need to see it in words, make it real before making that final decision, you know? Some accountability to myself lol.

The domain is the only thing I've paid for, the company I've used has free hosting (although I think they are going to start charging for it this year). I had it on auto-renewal and the card didn't go through lol. So I think it was God's way of confirming that it was time to let it go. I've spent some time updating all accounts that may have been attached to it, email newsletters, etc. Grabbing any email addresses I don't have elsewhere. Forwarding some important ones.

So I think it is time to say goodbye to the site.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:57 pm

And it's done. Instead of waiting on the email response, I contacted them through chat, as I discovered they had already started the new charge for hosting. They are going to transfer the amount to our other domain as a credit (that we're keeping for now) that we'd set up for our chain mail stuff, that we may still do something with. I need to update the site, once we are ready to move forward.

Well, Frank just said he's ok with closing that one, too lol. Now I've got to contact them again.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:40 pm

And done and done. Now to wait for my refund. I've gotten things fixed that needed fixed, got Frank's Facebook profile attached to his new email (well, old one he never used through SBC lol). He rarely checks email anyway. He'll have to update it with his school stuff, though.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

Return to The Water Cooler