To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Computer query

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

mummatoni
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Computer query

Postby mummatoni » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:07 am

Hi guys,
I have a curly condition what is the lightest computer you have use and what type would your recommend if you could buy a computer and why? Needs to be light due to my crps though guys.
Thanks Toni

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Computer query

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:56 am

That is a curly one, Toni. All my computers and devices are pretty heavy (unfortunately). I'm wondering if one of the tablet/notebook combinations might work for you. You can use it like a small notebook, or you can use it as a tablet. Something like the Microsoft Surface or Surface Pro might work for you:

posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=38333

(The two I mentioned are in the second bottom line on that page.)

Or there are these Ultra books, which are thin and light:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/slideshow ... t_laptops/

The trick is finding something that's really light, but doesn't lose power because of it.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby JesusPuppy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:04 pm

I love my Acer notebook. Light weight easy to use, but it is small. I also have an Android tablet PC, you can get those with the keyboard case or without, and they are definately light weight. I normally just use it for reading the E-Books... that and the AngryBirds. :wink:

The Acer is mainly for writing and videos, but both have built in wireless so getting online is no problem. A bit slow if there isn't a very good signal, but that happens even with the bigger laptops. I have no troubles with either of mine.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:23 am

I have a MacBook Air, and it's 11 inches across and probably 7.5 inches wide, and less than 0.5 inches thick. It's very light, and the keys are backlit, so you can see them in lower lighting. I'm very happy with my purchase; I went to the Apple website and used a discount through AAA. I'm trying to remember; I may have also gotten the refurbished model, which usually runs about $100 less than new and comes with the same warranty. Apples run higher in price, but they don't take forever to start up, they run really fast compared to PCs, and they almost never crash. I don't have a CD drive, but our other MacBook does, so mine is fine for most writing and internet things.

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:51 am

Macbook Air would be the ideal option. I've got a Macbook Pro, and I love it, but it's not light. the Macbook Air would be perfect.
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:41 am

The first time I got a laptop I thought big was good so the screen would be large for video viewing. Now I've learned that I'd much rather have a smaller screen so that it's not as heavy to carry around. I have a 14 inch Intel HP laptop. I like it pretty well.

My dad built me a simple wooden tray to set my laptop on so it takes the weight and heat off my legs. It has legs that rest on the recliner beside my legs, with slats for the computer to sit on right above my legs. It doesn't work as well on my bed since I need a pillow under my knees and that creates a lump, but on the recliner the tray works perfectly.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Return to The Water Cooler