To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

We Haz A Goggie!

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

We Haz A Goggie!

Postby deejay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Or, for those of you not familiar with lolspeak (icanhazcheezburger.com), last Wednesday my roomie Diane got herself--well, the house, actually--a 7 month old yorkiepoo named Brandon. Her brother had gotten it for his family, but with a year old child in the house and another on the way, he couldn't handle him, and was going to recoup the $100 he paid by selling him at the swap meet(can we say, what a horrible idea?). But Diane told him no way, you're giving him to me. He's a cute little guy, apricot color, but smart and a quick learner. Diane is trying to teach him to use a puppy pad; his former owner had him box trained, almost like a cat. But I guess he doesn't recognize the pad without the box. So he does get plenty of "walkies".

I wish I could have a cat, but 1.) there's no place for the litterbox, the way the house is configured, 2.) we already have two cats that visit us from next door, and 3.) Diane really had to work with our landlady to convince her to let her have a small dog. I think trying to get her to accept a cat would be too much. Plus 4.)if you can't afford the vet, you shouldn't have the pet.

wheelygirl58
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: We Haz A Goggie!

Postby wheelygirl58 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:17 am

I, too, would love to have "fur person" ( aka, a cat) back in my life; however, I live on a very limited income and the place where I reside charges $30 in pet rent, per month. That is a huge ouch to my already tight monies!! :( :(

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:19 pm

My last kitteh died four years ago, and I miss her very much. Her name was Tripod, because she was born without a left front leg. Shy, smart, a bit of a spitfire when necessary, and didn't let anything get in her way.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Any poodle mix is likely a smart dog. I've pretty much always had poodles or a variation of poodle mix until I got my Pomeranian, Phin. I love him and other than fur everywhere he is a great dog.

I'd advice you to forget the puppy pads and instead do like you're doing by taking it out often. My mil decided to use the pads and the dogs figured going in the house is acceptable. Even though the dogs are like almost 5 and 9, they still go wherever. Puppy pads can get expensive fast. Since its a poodle terrier mix, it's going to need exercise to keep it's mind active anyway, so walking it is the best way to house train it.

Take her out right after she eats or drinks and go to the same place each time. I use the command "Hurry up" and then when he goes I praise him like crazy. You may want a different command though because I discover I say hurry up more than I realized. :mrgreen: Something like Go potty might work.

You have been blessed with a wonderful breed. My Abbey, who died at 18, was a poodle terrier. She looked so funny because it looked like someone took the front part of a poodle and the back part of a wired-hair terrier and stuck them together. She had curly poodle fur in the front and poodle ears, but coarse wirey hair and a terrier tale in the back. She was smart though and was housebroken in under a week, with only an occasional accident.

Same thing with Phin. I would crate him at night and then take him out first thing. He loved the crate too. I think it was like a cave. In under a year, I didn't even need the crate though he still went in until he got too big. On the other hand, my mil has to crate her dogs still.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:01 pm

We dumped the puppy pads after a week--Brandon wasn't using them. C.J. and Diane are his main caretakers--the rest of us just cuddle him a lot. I'll tell them about the command to hurry up--sometimes he goes when he's out, other times not.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:09 pm

If you have 2 bathrooms you could toilet train your cat. I want to try it with mine but it would be a pain because we only have one.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:17 pm

The only problem with potty training a kitty would be if the cat had a health issue; that would preclude the use of diagnostic litter. Unless, of course, the potty was like a training potty for kids and it was filled with litter. But still I think it would be a stretch to ask our landlady if I could have a cat. Furthermore, one of our toilets is having problems, it might need to be replaced. Anyway, I ask God every night to send me a kitty, and I know He will send one when the time and situation are right. Which it isn't right now.

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:23 pm

I love your faith and positive attitude Deejay. I need to remember God has his timetable which often differs from mine.
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:09 pm

We had a new roommate, Shirley, move in late Monday night, and she has her rat terrier Bella. She gets along great with Brandon. Brandon will be getting neutered soon, so maybe then he'll stop sniffing Bella's backside (she's spayed). Bella is a very sweet dog.

Return to The Water Cooler