To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Any Aussies?

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

yarra
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Any Aussies?

Postby yarra » Fri May 09, 2014 3:01 am

Hi, I'm wondering if there are any other Aussies around the forums? There used to be an Aussie segment a while back.
If you're a true Aussie, you'll be able to finish this line (this is a nationality test!!):

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, ______, _________, _________.

Hope to hear from some of you. I live in Melbourne where the weather is getting cooler by the day at this time of year. Blessings to you. Ellen

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Any Aussies?

Postby Deb Porter » Fri May 09, 2014 4:06 am

Hi Yarra.

Oy, Oy, Oy.

(Although I cringe every time I hear that. LOL.)

Noel Mitaxa is an Aussie, but doesn't come onto the forums these days. Yeggy (Val) is an Aussie and pops in now and then.

Any others around?

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

yarra
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby yarra » Fri May 09, 2014 4:24 am

Thanks for your reply, Deb. And yes, you pass the nationality test! I knew you were an Aussie anyway, but good to hear from you. I know of Noel and we've made FW contact.

There was someone in Adelaide I connected with too, via the forums, but I can't remember her name. I'm sure there are others too. Wasn't there once a 'Down Under' FW conference, before my time (my FW time, not before I was born!)?

Did you notice my new avatar with its Aussie flavour? It took me about 2 years to work out how to add an avatar! Blessings, Ellen

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Fri May 09, 2014 5:51 pm

Do they still do that at sporting events -- I thought it suffered a well deserved demise. lol

I still travel through the forums quite a bit, but I've learnt to avoid certain issues and I'm not as active as I once was.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri May 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Hey, no. I missed the new picture. It's so cute. (Love wombats.)

:D
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

yarra
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby yarra » Sat May 10, 2014 2:58 am

Hi Graham from Innisfail.
I think I've been through Innisfail when on holiday in the beautiful, tropical far North Queensland. It's a lovely area. Good to meet another Aussie on FW. No doubt you're enjoying warm weather up there while it's cooling down down here.
I'll look out for your posts on FW. I have a feeling I've seen some in The Challenge.

Blessings, Ellen

Hoomi
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Hoomi » Tue May 13, 2014 2:07 am

Does having Australian Shepherds count? :D
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

Marta's Pod, the sequel to Cardan's Pod, on Kickstarter now.

yarra
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby yarra » Wed May 14, 2014 5:03 am

Hi Hoomi, Having Australian Shepherds is a good start at becoming an Aussie! And it's good to hear from someone from Arizona. How far are you from the beautiful and breathtaking Grand Canyon? Of course I could consult a map, but we Aussies don't like to take any more effort than we have to! There was a bumper sticker around here for years that encapsulated the Aussie philosophy of life very well: 'I'd rather be sailing'.

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Wed May 14, 2014 9:23 am

Replace sailing with camping or fishing and it's still Aussie to me.

Nice and wet in the far north the last couple of days. Could be good for the cane season if it slows down down. Not good for the cane toads though, far too many of them around.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

yarra
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby yarra » Thu May 15, 2014 1:36 am

I'm not into sailing either but I guess I have a fair share of the laid-back Aussie character which prefers almost anything to work!
Here in Melbourne we're having unseasonably warm weather for May - at least a week of 20 or more degrees (that's C not F - for any American readers). I guess it's global warming making itself felt.
I hope the cane does well up there in Nth Qld. No-one's really been able to solve the cane-toad problem have they? Like the rabbits they were a foolish import to our land.
Blessings, Ellen

Hoomi

Postby Hoomi » Thu May 15, 2014 1:37 am

We're about a four-hour drive from the Grand Canyon. In just over a week, we'll drive around the end of it en route to Utah to visit my In-Laws. A couple of years ago, we took our pop-up trailer for the annual visit to Utah, and stayed a night at the North Rim of the Canyon on the way back.

We keep considering taking a week or more and doing a Northern Arizona/Southern Utah National Park camping trip. Just a short drive north of the Canyon is Zion National Park, which also has some breathtaking scenery. Bryce Canyon is a little more up the road. The Petrified Forest National Park, which also includes the Painted Desert, is a couple of hours east of the Canyon here in Arizona.

Here's a photo of our P'up in the campground at the North Rim.
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

yarra
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby yarra » Thu May 15, 2014 8:53 am

Thanks for the photo, Hoomi. We used to do quite a bit of tent camping but these days tend to go for cabins - a little more luxury. Tomorrow my brother and his wife will set off for a big caravanning holiday up to the far north west of Australia - a long way! I think you call caravans trailers.
We went to the Southern Rim of the Grand Canyon back in the 90s - my husband and 2 daughters. I was absolutely blown away by its grandeur and beauty. We didn't get to the other places you mentioned. Maybe some day...?

Hoomi

Postby Hoomi » Fri May 16, 2014 1:59 am

It can be a bit tough. While the North Rim is not that far from the South Rim in a straight line, it's several hours of driving time to go around the east end of the Canyon, and then back up to the North Rim, and Zion is an hour or two of driving from the North Rim.

It's a beautiful drive, but it's not a short one.

We're hoping to get to Australia someday ourselves. At the very least, since we're scuba divers, the Great Barrier Reef is one of those "bucket list" dive destinations. The closest we've been so far is Fiji, which - while a lot closer than the U.S., still isn't THAT close to Australia.

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Fri May 16, 2014 3:56 am

I'm still around but I've been preoccupied with house renovations and a dad who thinks he's a teenager.

I usually hang out in the Southern Porch or the Pacific Coast Rest stop forums.

Chrissy

yarra
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby yarra » Sat May 17, 2014 8:48 am

Hoomi, keep Australia in your bucket list. It's well worth a visit, though of course I'm a bit biased! The Great Barrier Reef is certainly worth visiting, particularly if you're scuba divers. I've never scuba dived there but did some very basic snorkelling there and it was amazing!

Next

Return to The Water Cooler