To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

I'm still Old-fashioned...

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

I'm still Old-fashioned...

Postby lish1936 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:33 am

When it comes to books, I like to hold them. E-books are a necessary consequence of the computer age. But for me, there's nothing like literally turning the pages of a book. I guess I'd rather turn than tap a key. All that to say, I just bought my Amazon copy of Trials and Triumphs. :D
Blessings,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

JesusPuppy

Re: I'm still Old-fashioned...

Postby JesusPuppy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:36 pm

You should try the Google Android, it has the "Play Book" and when you touch to turn a page... it actually looks like a page turning. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks, but do you remember that old Coke commercial (at least I think it was Coke)?

There ain't nothing like the real thing, Baby! :D

Besides, I REALLY like making a financial "donation" in exchange for a book I can share with someone who might not have a computer. There are still some, believe it or not; especially among my generation.

Blessings,

Lillian

Fortunate 500

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 pm

I'm with Lillian, a good old page turner for me. Although, I do read e-books on occasion. :book2
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

franabelle
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby franabelle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm old-fashioned too (circa 1931) but I have had to recognize that I can't live in any other culture than the one I'm in. That means I have to be flexible - actually I believe flexibility is a sign of good health and inflexibility a sign of ill health, whether physically, spiritually or emotionally so I work at learning and trying new things.

I, too, love books. Hundreds of them line my bookcases - but I also have a Kindle and use it occasionally. Anyway, I applaud you for taking advantage of old books and new technology.

franabelle

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:01 pm

actually I believe flexibility is a sign of good health and inflexibility a sign of ill health, whether physically, spiritually or emotionally

Sorry, I disagree with your diagnosis. :D Actually doing what you prefer can be a sign of emotional well being/independence, to be who you are and do what you like despite the trends.

Blessings,

Lillian

Fortunate 500

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Most of what I know came from books. Furthermore, books are friendly, welcoming, and "real". They are a true possession, while e-books are transitory. As long as you treat your books with care, keeping them dry and in a safe place, they can last for ages. Another thing--nobody can "hack" a book, the way a website can be hacked. And finally, with the constant changes in technology, it's inevitable that sooner or later your e-book reader will become outdated, while a book, itself, can't become outdated.
Our greatest literature in the world is contained within the pages of books. I remember there was a single panel comic of "The Family Circus" where Billy, the oldest child, has returned from the bathroom after setting his book down. He comments to his mother, "The best thing about a book is that when you leave it and then come back, it's still there." Of course at that time he was referring to compared to TV, but still....
And then there's that old joke--"Television will never replace the newspaper. Why? Did you ever swat a fly with a TV set?" Change TV to computer, and see how can still work.

One more thing--an e-reader needs a power source to use it, but books don't--unless you're reading in the dark, then you use a flashlight.

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 pm

There is nothing in the world like the smell of an old book. It takes me back to digging through my Dad's collection as a kid, climbing on his work bench, straddling soldering irons and electronics parts to get to the shelves. Just something comforting in it.

But, the majority of my collection was lost when my parent's house was torched. I had a few things here, but just didn't have the room for all of them yet (was working on a book shelf in the basement, but hadn't finished it yet). I'm going to have to rebuild my collection.

I was given a free tablet, and started gradually adding a few ebooks, especially after Eileen got her Kobo ereader (a nice thing if all you want to do is read, it has very limited internet capabilities, perfect for her). Then my tablet started to die and I realized how much I really did enjoy the stupid thing lol. My Dad got me another one with some Amazon gift cards he'd earned doing survey's. I'll be getting it next weekend.

But, it still won't replace that smell and feel.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:27 am

We were discussing this on Facebook the other day. It's not a case of being old fashioned, as recent surveys have shown more youth and children prefer the tactile experience of a print book. Basically, it comes down to a personal preference. Some people prefer the sensory experience of a print book. Others don't need that and love the convenience and benefits of e-book reading (and there are many benefits). Others don't really care one way or the other.

The important thing is that people ARE reading. In fact, more than ever before. That's all that matters. The format has just expanded the methods of doing that.

Personally, I find e-books preferable for a multitude of reasons. The main reason is that I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad, and I can listen to my books being read to me. I turn voice over on, swipe two fingers down the page in the Kindle app, and away it goes. I can read while I'm driving, cooking, cleaning, watering the plants, shopping, when the lights are out... LOL.

But that's just my preference. Neither old fashioned or new. Just what works for me in my busy lifestyle. I love the concept of a physical book, but the reality is that they are just less convenient for me to read (and I have bookshelves overflowing with them).

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:42 am

I like both paper books and e-books for different things. Paper books are much more functional for text books or study books that you need to be able to flip through easily, and they are just nice in general sometimes. But when I'm traveling then in the past I would have to pack four or more books to get me through the trip, and that's very heavy and cumbersome. Plus the ebooks are cheaper and lighter. I have pain issues and holding a big hardback book is very difficult.

So both have their plus and minuses and I read both quite often. I've actually been doing most of my "reading" through audio books lately, though. I can do that easier while resting in bed or while crafting.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Return to The Water Cooler