To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Friendly Competitors

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Colswann1
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Friendly Competitors

Postby Colswann1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

The Challenge has started up again and the FWS Challengeers will be in friendly and fierce competition with each other.

I was wondering if we have a competitor gene in our makeup that has been with us since childhood. Can you recall some competitive achievement in the physical or mental area that still gives you pleasure from when you were at school or college, or even before that? :)
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

RachelM
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Friendly Competitors

Postby RachelM » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:55 pm

I was nicknamed Tiger Lady because of my crazy, all-out soccer playing. :) I'm still competitive in a sense. A contest brings out the effort in me, but I'm a good sport too. I like to cheer everyone on. :D
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:46 pm

You can't have six siblings, all girls, and not be competititve. Early on, during my elementary school days, I was always held to the high achievement standards of my two older sisters. One of the oft heard comments by other classmates were, "You must be very smart just like your sisters." However, even then, I loved to write. That was the one thing I did better than my older sisters. I derived pleasure from writing and having the competitive edge over them, at least in that area.
That's probably one reason why I'm a very aggressive... :sofa... driver.

And yet, my need to prove myself has been tempered by the knowledge that I will always have God's approval. So I now approach the Challenge, and any other writing projects without the competitive spirit/motives I once had. Although winning still remains quite sweet. :D

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 pm

I have to say I love it when I win, because that tells me someone likes my work, and I have a need to be liked, or at least have my work liked. (working on that one with Jesus), but I love to see others win at the same time. :D

I just never thought I could be a writer.

When I place in the Challenge, the rest of my day is a happy one, but I don't mope or brood :( when I don't.

However, I would still like to make that first place in level three, an achievement I have yet to achieve. :lol:

So, I guess I am competitive, but maybe I should be more?
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:07 am

I reckon most of us in here are friendly competitors.Yet, I think most serious writers (one of which I'm not - too serious anyhow!) want to reach the top: best seller, win competitions and make a name as the writer of writers. As Christians, however, we have learned to be nice to our fellow competitors in here, and that's good--yet the competitive streak is always there like a pair of stirrups to goad us on. I love the balanced and fierce competitiveness with which we compete with each other here at FWs.

As a young person I always wanted to win, I was always good at running and sport, both at school and as a trained soldier--the reason I've mentioned this is because I'm convinced we have some in here who like Rachel were good at sport or running or athletics. Bet we have a few winners in the sport's arena in here, judging by the spirit of competiveness we witness its recipients. :)
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

Return to The Water Cooler