To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Quirky Habits

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Colswann1
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Quirky Habits

Postby Colswann1 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:59 pm

I enjoy tea drinking, and I love drinking it out of my collection of mugs that have bird pictures on-- my favourites being the ones that have pictures of the colourful goldfinch on them. I even have salt and pepper pots in the shape of these birds.

Are there others in here who have quirky habits?
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Quirky Habits

Postby Come forth » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:57 pm

The English and our tea.

I switch between tea and coffee something like every two years or so. When in the tea mode I drink coffee only occassionaly; and vice versa.

That being said, I have started to drink a lot of iced tea this summer, even while drinking coffee. It is herbal green teas with no additives (sugar and milk).

I drink all cold drinks from a glass, not a cup. It just feels strange drinking cold drinks from a cup.

Having spoken about this, I feel a change coming on. Best dig out the teapot.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:44 pm

I can't drink anything hot. I say I'm not smart enough because I always burn my mouth, but I don't care for the taste of hot drinks. I used to drink only pop 24/7 but finally switched to strawberry milk. That was a bit healthier but still not the best so I switched to bottled water. I lost a lot of weight when I ditched the sugary drinks too. My quirk is plastic glasses. I have to drink out of glass glasses. If it's the disposable cups I'm okay with it for a party or something, but not long-term. When I was drinking my strawberry milk, I'd put it in a Mason jar and put the lid on and shake it up. I was able to drink from my glass glass and keep the cat out of my my milk.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

itsjoanne

Postby itsjoanne » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:08 pm

I ALWAYS have a glass of milk in the morning as I have my quiet time.

Is that quirky LOL?

RachelM
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:56 am

I drink hot tea throughout the day and all year long. It doesn't matter how hot it is outside; I'm still drinking hot tea!

My favourite tea is a combination of Earl Grey and Orange Pekoe and I drink it extremely weak and very hot (I don't drink it with milk, because milk cools it too much for my liking.)
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:18 pm

I generally drink coffee only at home, but if I'm at Trader Joe's and I'm feeling tired, I'll get a small cup of coffee from the sample stand. About the only time I drink coffee elsewhere--or hot tea or chocolate--is if it's really cold and I need to warm up. At home, I drink out of the same cup; but then, we all have our favorite cups (Becky's the only non-coffee drinker in our group). My cup has like a blue patchwork or wallpaper background, with a cat in front.

Only other quirk I can think of that I have is taking the first stall in the ladies room.... :oops:

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:17 pm

I was just thinking that because Colin started this thread with drinking tea, we've all stuck with what we drink; but quirky habits come in all shapes, sizes and disguises.

Another thing I do, evey morning, is hit the start button to the computer and let it boot up while I make my first morning coffee. Then I sit down with that particular brew and follow a set process.

First I check my emails, don't answer any, just check them. Then I check two news sites, the ABC and the BBC. I don't own a television so this is my daily doasage of news. The ABC because I live in Australia and the BBC because I am after all British. I also always check out the news for Nottingham on the BBC, because that is where I was born.

Having checked the news I then go to the FW site. Here I follow another set pattern. First I log in and then check my most recent past challenge entry for any helpful, constructive critical comments; always looking to learn. Then I check my current entry hoping for the same. Then I go to the forum and follow through on anything of interest.

Then, and only after doing this, my day's duties start. My start up habit for the day.

Blessings, Graham.

P.S. My day doesn't start with the Word in a traditional sense. But that is the next quirky habit I'll share later.

My prayer for us all.

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:23 pm

I have two quirky habits. At least, that's all I can think of at the moment.

1) A cup of hot water, nothing added, is all that I ever drink for every meal every day--at home or at a restaurant.

2) Whenever I'm out and have to stop at a fast-foods take out, I never use my hands to eat my french fries. I either use a napkin or squeeze the fries to the top and eat one from the top of the bag. Picture that! Hamburgers et al are eaten in similar fashion. I suppose a small bottle of handwash would break that habit. :-)

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:41 am

We have quite a quirky pastor. He had to confess to us all that during a church fasting period he had raided the biscuit (cookie) tin.

My best friend is a very very quirky character who gets me into trouble with Gill for taking on board some of his stupid ideas. Presently, I'm tryng out his method of dealing with weight gain: it's don't get on the scales! LOL
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:37 pm

My twentish nephew leaned towards my shoulder, and discretly whispered that I'd forgotten to buy milk to go with my Honey Nut Cheerios (dry cereal).

"I never use milk with my Cheerios," I informed him. His face took on a quizzical expression, even more so after my answer.

"I use hot water." :roll:

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:12 pm

My great-grandpa used to use water with his corn flakes. With living through the times he did, they did it because they had to. He also, for some unknown reason, put brown gravy on his apple pie.

One of my quirky habits is something I wasn't even aware that I did until meeting my husband. I only wear shoes when I have to, so I'm barefooted most of the time. I cross my 2nd toe over my big toes, on both feet. My MIL noticed that Frank does the opposite, with his big toe over the 2nd toe.

lish1936 wrote:My twentish nephew leaned towards my shoulder, and discretly whispered that I'd forgotten to buy milk to go with my Honey Nut Cheerios (dry cereal).

"I never use milk with my Cheerios," I informed him. His face took on a quizzical expression, even more so after my answer.

"I use hot water." :roll:

Lillian
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Once, when I was living with mom at her parents' house in York, PA, I came across a book titled "You're A Yorker!"; it was about how if you do certain things, or have a particular surname--surprisingly, ours wasn't included--it marks you as a bona fide Yorker. One of those things was to pour gravy over cake. I bought the book and showed it to my grandparents; grandma was born in New Oxford, and moved to York with her parents when she was 8 or 9, grandpa was born and raised in York-- and the gravy on cake thing completely mystified them. They were totally unaware of that, and of course all of us gagged over the thought of gravy on cake.

Maybe it was done to keep from wasting the gravy? :?:

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Of course not quite the same, but this gravy on cake thing brings a favourite habit of mine to mind; mopping up the gravy with a good slice of bread and butter. Or, closer I guess, at the end of the meal putting a thick slice of bread in the center of my plate and emptying the remains of the gravy boat over it.

Almost better than desert.

Of course, my mother being a Yorkshire lass, that being York UK, we also had a lot of Yorkshire pudding. Maybe that's what they mean by 'cake', or something similar. If so, it isn't as silly as it sounds.

Yum Yum, Graham.

My prayer for us all.

dub

Postby dub » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:42 am

For starters, I abhor coffee, and rarely make hot tea, therefore the mug thing is moot. I prefer anything cold served in plastic cups. I have a collection of stadium cups collected at ball games, those are my preferred drinking apparatus. Miss P on the other hand, will only consume beverages out of glass containers. The exception is her hot coffee in a go-cup which is always in a hard plastic container.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:56 am

I usually drink hot water in restaurants, but I think it's a quirk I picked up from my frugal college days when I learned you could get hot water free just about anywhere. I'm highly picky about my choices of tea (mostly herbal) so it's also a defense mechanism in the case that the restaurant doesn't have the kind of tea I like (most don't). :D
I try to avoid handling doorknobs of any kind, and I pump gas with a barrier (plastic glove, napkin, paper towel. I wash my hands or use sanitizer after handling cash (think of all the hands who've touched it!) and prefer to wipe the carts at the grocery store or just push them with my coat sleeves. Yes, I know those are pretty much obsessive compulsive, but they are quirks which my friends consider just a "Leah" thing. :roll:
I tend to eat different foods on my plate in alternating bites. The exception is vegetables, which I'm not a fan of but try to eat to be healthy. I usually eat them first with a few bites of a better tasting part of the meal. Then I just alternate the rest until there is one bite left of each food, and I try to make the best tasting bite the last one. :lol:

Next

Return to The Water Cooler