To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

UK Cooler Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Colswann1
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: UK Cooler Stop

Postby Colswann1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:25 am

As kids we use to make a guy (a bit like a scarecrow) and stick at the end of the street and beg from people passing by to spare a penny for the guy (the guy being me! :lol: ). Then the poor guy would get set on fire later (not me!).

I haven't seen this done of late, but I'll keep my eyes open and report back if I see this kid money maker is still in play. :)
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:44 pm

We were planning to set off all the sparklers left from my brother's wedding on the fifth, but we forgot about it, with elections the next day, and all.
I've always wanted to do fireworks on Guy Fawkes Day, but never the burning effigies.
We have Halloween here, too, but some people don't celebrate it because of convictions.
Arpy

I write adventures, historical fiction, war stories, fantasies, psychological and spy thrillers.

IN PROGRESS:
Snaga - fan fiction fantasy
Emira - action adventure
Confessions of an Evil Genius - psychological thriller
The Play-Actor - sci-fi, historical, psychological spy thriller
Dreamreader - YA psychological thriller
A fantasy without a title
RECENT DRAFTS:
Royal Opposition - action adventure

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:31 pm

So, I haven't been on here in a while, but apparently no one else has, either!
Did anyone know that the thirtieth this month is Winston Churchill's birthday? My siblings are planning a sort-of-party, with eclairs and other things. (Don't ask me why eclairs -- they had some reason.) My siblings are fond of parties. They also happen to be studying WWII at present.
Arpy

I write adventures, historical fiction, war stories, fantasies, psychological and spy thrillers.

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Arpy wrote:Did anyone know that the thirtieth this month is Winston Churchill's birthday? My siblings are planning a sort-of-party, with eclairs and other things. (Don't ask me why eclairs

Maybe your siblings will let the chocolate eclairs stick out of their mouths and pretend they are smoking Churchill's cigars.
I think he was partial to whiskey too--maybe a glass of tea would suffice, at least it's the right colour!
Colin Swann

DizziDanni
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DizziDanni » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Hey Colin, why not chuck a batch of yorkshire puds in there too. I'm sure Mr WC would appreciate it. :thumbs

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:45 am

DizziDanni wrote:Hey Colin, why not chuck a batch of yorkshire puds in there too. I'm sure Mr WC would appreciate it.

Yes, I think old Winston liked his grub as well, but I'm not sure he would be into the Yorkshire stuff!

Nice to hear from you--I presume, you are our only Yorkshire lass in here!
Colin Swann

stanuel
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby stanuel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:45 am

Hi everyone

There may be only one Yorkshire lass, but I'm here, a Yorkshire lad, to keep her company...although living in London right now I'm a bit far away...anyone else based in London?
'It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak...We are far too easily pleased.' -C.S. Lewis

Thoughts of Sam Isaacson
Faithwriters profile

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:30 pm

stanuel wrote:There may be only one Yorkshire lass, but I'm here, a Yorkshire lad, to keep her company...although living in London right now I'm a bit far away...anyone else based in London?

Hi, that makes three of us Yorkies in here. Born and brought up in Yorkshire, I moved to the Midlands for my job.

Been snowing here today and forcast for some more tomorrow - how's London doing?

This is an excellent site and you must check out the Weekly Challenge competition, though I'm finding it difficult to enter the present topics (maybe writers' block). :)
Colin Swann

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Colswann1 wrote:We here in the UK are having a good Olympics - 3rd in the medal tables. Being just a small island that you could put into the corner of just one of the states in USA and get completely lost in China, the two countries above us on the medal tables, that ain't so bad, hey?.

How's that for a little country making a big impression. Oh dear, I sound very patriotic - mmm then I suppose most of us are. Do you think it's right to be patriotic? I've been cheering like mad for our guys and gals - but I do love other nationalities and their countries, just so long as they don't beat our Olympians. :lol:

and you guys make GREAT tv shows! I love the BBC's Sherlock and my mom is getting into Downton Abbey.

So there's something else to add to the list. :mrgreen:
Dum Spiro Spero

stanuel
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby stanuel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 am

London's cold, but no snow (hoping for a heavy downfall soon though!)...I'll check out the weekly writing challenge, if I ever figure this site out!
'It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak...We are far too easily pleased.' -C.S. Lewis

Thoughts of Sam Isaacson
Faithwriters profile

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 am

Rebecky wrote:and you guys make GREAT tv shows! I love the BBC's Sherlock and my mom is getting into Downton Abbey. So there's something else to add to the list.

Not much interested in Sherlock, but really hooked on Downton Abbey (my wife and I just love it).

I am quite juvenile in some of my TV viewing: I like watching 2nd rate American soppy romance films and have been known to be in tears at an unhappy ending, and much to my wife's disappointment I like cartoons and fairy story based films, and she can't understand why I belly laugh at Mr Bean.
Colin Swann

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:09 pm

I've been intrigued by "Call the Midwife", and managed to watch most of the holiday special. I hope to get the first season that I missed, and hopefully be able to watch the second season starting next month.

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:40 pm

OK, if we're going to start talking about film, I'd better get this going in the right direction!!!
Actually, I watched Warhorse recently, expecting it to be quite violent and really realistic. I was surprised at the lack of violence. (Maybe some people would call it violent, but you hardly saw anyone get shot.) I wondered why this was so. I don't particularly like violence, but I expected a movie about the First World War to be more intense. (OK, lots of people got sword-slashed.) But lo and behold, I find an article that describes some differences between Britishers and Americans, and the gentleman noted that although Britishers use more of the Words, which Americans censor, Americans don't mind the shooting and the Brits do.
Are you like that, Colin? Would you agree with this blogger?
I found it interesting and I wondered why this would be.
Arpy

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 pm

[
deejay wrote:I've been intrigued by "Call the Midwife", and managed to watch most of the holiday special.

Yes, Gill and I have avidly watched the whole series so far and throroughly enjoyed them. Hope you catch up on the ones you missed.

Arpy wrote: Americans don't mind the shooting and the Brits do. Are you like that, Colin? Would you agree with this blogger?

Yes again, we saw this film and found it very good. My daughter has a horse and that made it more like what we are used to. My daughter Rachel also went to see the musical version and thought it was great. I don't like excessive violence. :)
Colin Swann

Kiwigirl

Postby Kiwigirl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 pm

If I was asked to define British film & TV, I'd say wit (often dry), an enormous ability to laugh at oneself, and the use of personal quirks to draw the viewer in. The American TV/Movie industry seems to pride itself on loudness, violence, and gratuitous sex. Very broad overview, I know, but that's how it's seen by the 'commoner' in NZ. I suppose American film is funded by the powerful American gun lobby??? Said tongue-in-cheek, like a true Brit.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler