To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

UK Cooler Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Colswann1
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: UK Cooler Stop

Postby Colswann1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Gill's graduation photo with her college mate Sue (lovely lady). Gill's on the right.

You were right about red necks - I asked Gill and she said they were indians, I told her they were redskins; so I googled and got conflicting definitions. So I'm no wiser.
Last edited by Colswann1 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Beautiful wife, Colin!

Redneck: n (Chiefly Am.) A person characterised by being unsophisticated and having a rather narrow cultural awareness -- generally from rural areas in the southern United States. The name is derived from the fact that some of this type have sun-burnt necks, resulting in a slightly unnatural red tint to the skin on this part of the anatomy. This condition is probably a result from hunting, fishing, riding atvs nonstop, and playing American football. Rednecks have an affinity for camouflage, beer, and tattoos. They also are easily identified by their unique dialect.

So there you have it. And what part of the country are you from, again?

(And, my dear Scottie friend, redskins are indians.) :tongue

Forgive me, I'm just naughty!
Arpy

I write adventures, historical fiction, war stories, fantasies, psychological and spy thrillers.

IN PROGRESS:
Snaga - fan fiction fantasy
Emira - action adventure
Confessions of an Evil Genius - psychological thriller
The Play-Actor - sci-fi, historical, psychological spy thriller
Dreamreader - YA psychological thriller
A fantasy without a title
RECENT DRAFTS:
Royal Opposition - action adventure

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:41 pm

And, just a footnote -- you cannot have a British redneck. And they're not much of travellers, so the only way you'll meet one is if you come to the southeastern US and drive a hundred miles into the booneys.

Uh-oh, I think Colin's going to be looking up another word!
Arpy

I write adventures, historical fiction, war stories, fantasies, psychological and spy thrillers.

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

tonguethaid

Postby tonguethaid » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:22 am

Colswann1 wrote:
tonguethaid wrote:Which brings me to take a poll of sorts; in your opinion what is the best brand/type of tea?

I have a friend who likes to think he's posh. He would say only china will do. An heated up china teapot, loose tea leaves in pot, scalded with boiling water, left to brew for awhile, and then poured out through a strainer into china teacups (with saucers), and then add milk if required.

I, being a Yorkshire man, love 'Yorkshire Tea' brand - can't beat the taste (doubt if it's available in America) and I prefer a Yorkshire teabag in a mug (preferably made by my wife - who makes the best cuppa), add milk and slop it down forthwith. :D

I have often heard Yorkshire tea is the best- not sure if they have it in America, but they definitely do not have it in Asia. My good friend always swore PG Tips was the best, which you can get here and I prefer to Lipton or Twinings. I also drink loose-leaf (I do live in Asia after all :wink: ) I actually drink all sorts. But my staple requires the right combination of milk and sugar.

(I also like iced tea...some of my americaness still in there) :roll:
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:13 pm

My brother lives most of the time in China and believes in 'unadulterated' tea -- no sugar or milk. I have a habit I can't get over of hardly ever putting milk in my tea. I don't know where it came from, except that I'm part Japanese. I don't dislike milk in tea -- in my opinion, it's the proper way to drink it -- but I always forget to put it in. Odd, what? :?
Arpy

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Colin, this is probably a dumb question. I'm just wondering if you say 'schedule' with a sh or a sk?
(I'm also wondering whether you sound like David Tennant, Nolan North, or Andy Serkis, but I won't ask that.)
Arpy

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

tonguethaid

Postby tonguethaid » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 am

ahhh I love David Tennent 8) :roll:

This summer I had a project of getting pictures of my family line. In the process my Grandma gave me a bunch of genealogy information. As it turns out my Great Grandfather was the youngest of around six kids and was the first to be born in the USA. Some of my family we can't trace back far enough to when they came to America, so it was cool to see relations coming over fairly recently.

His family was from Scotland, most of his siblings born in Glasgow, although his mum was English.
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:54 pm

tonguethaid wrote:ahhh I love David Tennent 8) :roll:

For a while I was imagining Colin sounding like Peter Finch, but I don't know if he's truly Scottish, so I couldn't keep that up. (Peter Finch from the old Disney Kidnapped.)
Arpy

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 am

Arpy wrote:For a while I was imagining Colin sounding like Peter Finch, but I don't know if he's truly Scottish

Nope Arpy, not Scottish - from Yorkshire! Yorkshire is north but not quite as north as Scotland. The British Isles has some beautiful countries: Scotland, breathtakingly beautiful, closely followed by Wales, and we here in England have some picturesque areas like the Lakes and Yorkshire moorland areas etc., and just across the water Ireland and their scenic and beautiful land. :)
Last edited by Colswann1 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Swann

tonguethaid

Postby tonguethaid » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:54 am

Arpy wrote:
tonguethaid wrote:ahhh I love David Tennent 8) :roll:

For a while I was imagining Colin sounding like Peter Finch, but I don't know if he's truly Scottish, so I couldn't keep that up. (Peter Finch from the old Disney Kidnapped.)

haha or Billy Connolly :D

I was rewatching some old dr who episodes and it was the one with Queen Victoria in Scotland with the Werewolf. Its one of my favs cause you get to hear David's Scottish accent. :D

I think my favorite Scottish character is in a George Macdonald novel- The Fisherman's Lady, he writes the old man Duncan so well.

(I just realized how fan-girlish I sound - it doesnt help that I'm wearing a London shirt and drinking from my Tardis mug :oops: :roll: ) sometimes I just cant help myself!
♥Kara

ThreeDee

Postby ThreeDee » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:11 pm

I'll make it to Yorkshire one of these days, Lord willing! And not just because I want to see the Borderlands. All of those Abbeys and the scenes of countless battles between the barbarous Scots and the tyrannical English ;)

Sigh. Talk about fan-girl, eh?

So I'm thinking that Col sounds more like Patrick Stewart, a native Yorkshire man and classy as all get out.

Beautiful shot of your Gill! She looks lovely and glowing with degree in hand. Remind us again what she teaches/taught? Retired or still slogging away?
With His Love,
Di

you can find me on my prickly blog Thistle N That at http://www.dianadart.com

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:07 am

Happy Birthday Christine, enjoy your day and have a lovely time. (or, rather hope you've enjoyed).

ThreeDee wrote:Remind us again what she teaches/taught? Retired or still slogging away?

Di, Gill used to teach Maths (Math) but she took early retirement. She ended her career teaching those who were too difficult for the general schools to cope with. But, when they had to give her lessons in self defence I encouraged her to quit. :)
Colin Swann

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Colin, here in America, children in school were once required to participate in teacher -led prayer every morning, until a bunch of atheistic parents raised such a stink Congress had to ban it. Up until that time, the worst student offenses in the classroom were throwing paperwads, chewing gum, not paying attention, and failing to do homework, as well as running in the halls and talking during the lecture. Now, more than 50 years later, the list of classroom offenses are gang violence, assault, rape, etc..

Was religion ever part of the classroom curriculum in the U.K., and if so how long ago was it abolished?

Kiwigirl

Postby Kiwigirl » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:56 am

Colswann1 wrote:Happy Birthday Christine, enjoy your day and have a lovely time. (or, rather hope you've enjoyed).

How did you know?

I had a great day. Eating. With family and friends. Even had the day off work. Bliss.

And thank you! :D

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:05 am

Kiwigirl wrote:How did you know?

Your Birthday was listed at the bottom of the forum thread's index, listed in the Birthday congratulation's section, just your Birthday, not your age.

I'm glad you didn't think I was a cyber stalker. :lol:
Colin Swann

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler