To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

kimhamlin
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Thanks to Amy, I might get this right this time!

Postby kimhamlin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:09 am

Hi Pacific Coast! I'm in Ky, but posted on a section to AnneRene and she invited me to check you all out.

I originally hit a new discussion instead of reply so that my post when in to the general USA area, ugh! I'm still trying to get this forum thing figured out. It's easier than Wordpress, so I don't know what my malfunction is.

I used to live in Tacoma, WA when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, and I still think of Seattle as one of my favorite cities in our great country!

I just wanted to give a shout out to the Pacific, and wish you all well. Can't wait to get to know everyone, have a great night!

Ms. Barbie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Ms. Barbie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:36 am

Hi Kim! I am in Southern California. Welcome!
Many interesting characters, I mean personalities around here! :mrgreen: We tease and uphold one another!
Barb Culler

kahoosbt

Postby kahoosbt » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:03 am

Hi Kim---welcome!

I'm sure there are other posts I should respond to, but I'm really tired and heading for bed. The cabinet guys finally finished their parts of the kitchen today (after nearly 6 months...it was supposed to be 4-6 weeks :roll:) So, I was washing and putting away dishes etc... all day and I's tarred. :mrgreen:

John and I have a couple of little things to do tomorrow and then it will be all DONE! Hopefully I'll get a chance to take some pictures and post them.

I did read the verses for yesterday and today. Maybe tomorrow I can actually comment on them again. (Hope springs eternal! 8))

Nighty-night everyone!

Shelley

b24bomb

Postby b24bomb » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:49 am

Ok, I got pictures of my trip up. Even if you're not on FB (or not my friend on there - and if not, then why not? :nono2 ) you should be able to see them with this link:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 67fe434905

Be warned. There's lots of cuteness in this photo album.

Lauren Bombardier

I always thought I was strange until I discovered FW. Now I know its just cause I'm a writer. ~ Julie Ruspoli

"Why do books have to have so many pictures? It's annoying!" ~ Sierra, age 9

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:08 am

Yay, Kim, glad you found the big thread. :) Be warned that everyone has nicknames here, so don't worry if it takes you a while to figure out who is who. Half of us are reading through the Bible in a Year together, so feel free to jump in and join us if you want the accountability.

Speaking of which, I still am not sure who Buttons is. Is that Lauren, whom I call Wren?

I guess I didn't introduce myself. I'm Amy and I live in Washington state. Besides being a freelance writer and editor, I graduated last spring as a sign langauge interpreter and just this week finally got paid interpreting work at a community college. Love my job! I have chronic health issues, though, so can't work a ton of hours and am still playing around with how many my body will accept.

That's me in a nutshell. :mrgreen: Hazelnut shell, to be exact...

Thanks for the link to the pics, Wren!

OK, I read the Matthew passage last night so just reading Genesis now. I noticed mention of both gold and kings. I wonder at what point civilization started using money, and when they decided they needed rulers? Seems like the population would still be relatively small, yet the war in the beginning of chapter 14 mentions nine kings (sounds like a mini world war, doesn't it?). I guess communications would be difficult, though, so areas would need divided up smaller than now.

Anyone have a commentary that says what "bitumen pits" are, from chapter 14, verse 10?

Wow, that Chedorlaomer guy was taking over the world and conquered everyone, but Abram goes marching out there and wins, just like that. Why? Because THAT's the power of the God he served. 8)

OK, I'm going to bed. Please pray I can sleep tonight. I really need the rest in order to get through tomorrow. I have stuff off and on all day, so will have to be away from home from about 10:00 AM until 8:00 PM. I'll be able to crash at my friend Holly's new place for a few hours in the middle, though, and might take a nap there if needed.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

kimhamlin
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Thanks

Postby kimhamlin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:56 am

Thanks Barb, Shelley and Amy, I appreciate the welcome!

I am reading Genesis and Revelations right now. I got the crazy idea to start at the beginning and the end and then read through to the middle this year!

I did some research on bitumen pits, check it out here: http://www.keyway.ca/htm2003/20030816.htm

Have a blessed day everyone!

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:17 am

January 6

VERSE OF THE DAY
"I will confirm my covenant with you and your descendants after you, from generation to generation. This is the everlasting covenant: I will always be your God and the God of your descendants after you." – Genesis 17:7

New Testament: Matthew 5:27-48
Old Testament: Genesis 16-17

[/b]1. SHELLYKINS :thumbs
2. BUTTONS :thumbs
3. AMY :thumbs
4. SHANNIKINS :thumbs
5. KARA :thumbs
6. BEAKERS :thumbs
7. TIARA :thumbs
8. SEEMA :thumbs
9. PATTY :thumbs
10. BOO :thumbs
11. ME :thumbs

Since the Wizard of Oz is one of my all-time favoritest movies...this reminded me kinda sorta of Dorothy's shoes.

AND KIMIKINS.....YAY....so glad you made it over here!

Until someone around here comes up with your own unique nickname....I add "kins" to everyone's name. Just because.
:mrgreen:

AnneRene' is my pen name...my real name is Holly and my nickname is bubbles. Maybe someone around here or me when I have the time will post a list of nicknames & show their real names. So, just hang in there...we all like to get just a wee bit crazy...this is where we let our hair down 'so to speak'.

I'll catch up on posts a little later AND I still have to read yesterdays Bible reading...school's been a little challenging "online school" because of one teacher in particular and then yesterday, I called PG&E to come out for gas smell and our water heater was leaking, got shut off...no hot water or heater and getting a hold of my landlord is like pulling teeth, but bottom line, after 4 calls and leaving messages....told landlord that if I didn't get a call back by 3...was going to call a plumber, have them replace the water heater & I'd deduct it from my rent because I was'nt going without heat last night when it's been in the 30s. That was at 2:00 and I got a call at 2:40, a plumber showed up at 3:30 & the water heater got fixed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Now I'm behind in school work and feeling overwhelmed and tarred loved that Shelleykins!) but anyway, real quick...I got A's in both classes for last semester and this semester just started Monday, so I was waiting for practice quiz results yesterday when I snuck on???? (what word should that be?) ha ha ha and I'm taking English right now! :heehee

See ya all later and I'll check out those links later too!
Luv, Hugs and Prayers guys!

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:25 am

UMmmm... so I'm really confused at how the PO works. :roll:

So some of the stuff I ordered with Christmas money has come already that was the stuff that came via UPS or Fed Ex. The stuff that is left over I should of gotten by now but haven't, and it's coming via USPS. The Bible I ordered started in Pennsylvania and I'm in Maryland so I should of gotten it by now but NO they send it to Kentucky first.

?!

:|

The other two things I ordered has been stuck about an hour away from where I live in a sorting facility for the last 2 days. :|

Like I said, I don't get it. :roll:
Dum Spiro Spero

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:43 am

I have a couple of 'thingys' that have been bothering me and so if anyone has some words of wisdom, I'd love to hear them.

1. I am really struggling with some bewilderment on some of God's decisions and feel really guilty about thinking about them (questioning God's decisons) actually and I feel tormented about them and so, gonna start by sharing them with you all...my heart is so heavy (and I know this is stupid and I do fear seeming disrespectful to God) but I've been praying about these questions and not feeling a peace, so I think God want's me to share....ok anyway....my heart is so heavy about why the 'innocent' creatures had to die in the flood (I think about them being terrified) and also like when the babies were killed by Herod....I know this earth belongs to Satan, for a short time....but since my heart of compassion is from His heart, being filled with the Holy Spirit...how does He endure the tremendous suffering of His beloved followers?

2. Abram was righteous.....but he LIED about Sarai being his wife AND she was taken to be the Kings wife before they were released. Anybody get where I'm at with these issues?

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 am

By the way...

Abram told a half lie because Sarai is his wife but she is his sister too. But a half lie is still a lie.

AND

I'm not sure but I think it will be a good 9 months or more before I can get my license. :|
Dum Spiro Spero

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:23 am

Rebecky wrote:By the way...

Abram told a half lie because Sarai is his wife but she is his sister too. But a half lie is still a lie.

AND

I'm not sure but I think it will be a good 9 months or more before I can get my license. :|

Hi there Beakers! I just finished yesterday's and today's readings....Yippee....and gotta go start school work but checking on here before I get started. As for not getting your license for 9 mos...it will be here before you know it and so, next year at this time....you'll be driving and looking BACK...so let that be some kind of encouragement...it will soon be a 'memory' :)

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:32 am

AnneRene' wrote:
Rebecky wrote:By the way...

AND

Hi there Beakers! I just finished yesterday's and today's readings....Yippee....and gotta go start school work but checking on here before I get started. As for not getting your license for 9 mos...it will be here before you know it and so, next year at this time....you'll be driving and looking BACK...so let that be some kind of encouragement...it will soon be a 'memory' :)

Yeah well we were hoping that my jury duty would get postponed long enough for me to get my license but it's VERY unlikely it will get postponed for 9 months. It is even likely it won't get postponed at all. the sad part is if It doesn't get postponed I have to find someone to take me when and if I have to go and if I don't go- guess what?! I'll be in jail. :shock:
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:13 pm

AnneRene' wrote:I have a couple of 'thingys' that have been bothering me and so if anyone has some words of wisdom, I'd love to hear them.

1. I am really struggling with some bewilderment on some of God's decisions and feel really guilty about thinking about them (questioning God's decisons) actually and I feel tormented about them and so, gonna start by sharing them with you all...my heart is so heavy (and I know this is stupid and I do fear seeming disrespectful to God) but I've been praying about these questions and not feeling a peace, so I think God want's me to share....ok anyway....my heart is so heavy about why the 'innocent' creatures had to die in the flood (I think about them being terrified) and also like when the babies were killed by Herod....I know this earth belongs to Satan, for a short time....but since my heart of compassion is from His heart, being filled with the Holy Spirit...how does He endure the tremendous suffering of His beloved followers?

2. Abram was righteous.....but he LIED about Sarai being his wife AND she was taken to be the Kings wife before they were released. Anybody get where I'm at with these issues?

No disrespect intended, but I think your biggest problem is you're trying to think like God, but you have a human brain. It's very similar to giving human emotions to animals (which BTW you're doing that with the flood.) Things are a mystery to us because we have human brains. It sounds like a Cop- out but it really isn't. Notice in the beginning of Genesis God uses We (Jesus God, Holy Spirit is what I believe.) Even though we are made in his image it doesn't mean everything is the same. Also on the first day in Revelations inl
the NlV Bible it states those who were never introduced to Jesus will be judged on his work on earth. There's a lot about God that will remain a mystery, but he gives us these tidbits so we don't agonize over the what-ifs.

In my Bible Rev 22:12 says "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me. and I mill give to every.one according to what he has done."

I think He's telling us he has a plan for the things we can't even begin to wrap our brains around
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:18 pm

AnneRene' wrote:January 6

VERSE OF THE DAY
"I will confirm my covenant with you and your descendants after you, from generation to generation. This is the everlasting covenant: I will always be your God and the God of your descendants after you." – Genesis 17:7

New Testament: Matthew 5:27-48
Old Testament: Genesis 16-17

[/b]1. SHELLYKINS :thumbs
2. BUTTONS :thumbs
3. AMY :thumbs
4. SHANNIKINS :thumbs
5. KARA :thumbs
6. BEAKERS :thumbs
7. TIARA :thumbs
8. SEEMA :thumbs
9. PATTY :thumbs
10. BOO :thumbs
11. ME :thumbs

Since the Wizard of Oz is one of my all-time favoritest movies...this reminded me kinda sorta of Dorothy's shoes.

AND KIMIKINS.....YAY....so glad you made it over here!

Until someone around here comes up with your own unique nickname....I add "kins" to everyone's name. Just because.
:mrgreen:

AnneRene' is my pen name...my real name is Holly and my nickname is bubbles. Maybe someone around here or me when I have the time will post a list of nicknames & show their real names. So, just hang in there...we all like to get just a wee bit crazy...this is where we let our hair down 'so to speak'.

I'll catch up on posts a little later AND I still have to read yesterdays Bible reading...school's been a little challenging "online school" because of one teacher in particular and then yesterday, I called PG&E to come out for gas smell and our water heater was leaking, got shut off...no hot water or heater and getting a hold of my landlord is like pulling teeth, but bottom line, after 4 calls and leaving messages....told landlord that if I didn't get a call back by 3...was going to call a plumber, have them replace the water heater & I'd deduct it from my rent because I was'nt going without heat last night when it's been in the 30s. That was at 2:00 and I got a call at 2:40, a plumber showed up at 3:30 & the water heater got fixed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Now I'm behind in school work and feeling overwhelmed and tarred loved that Shelleykins!) but anyway, real quick...I got A's in both classes for last semester and this semester just started Monday, so I was waiting for practice quiz results yesterday when I snuck on???? (what word should that be?) ha ha ha and I'm taking English right now! :heehee

See ya all later and I'll check out those links later too!
Luv, Hugs and Prayers guys!
I thought you were going to stop adding ikins to people's names because that means I'm not special? :cry:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Welcome to the Looney FarmKim! Most of us are a tad wonky although some of usare quite normal. The fun part is to try to figure Out which ones are strange and which ones are normal-BTW no one can really be normal, even te normal ones are abnormal!

Now if I haven't scared you off... my name is Shann. I live in the middle of nowhere in rural Western NY. I hve 3 kids Emily,26 Quinten,20, and Lydia just turned !7. They are three of the greatest creatures the world will ever know. My hubby is Chris. I used to be an RN before I got too sick to work.

Have fun here!
Shann

Shann's Profile

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler