To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

LStanley
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby LStanley » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:04 pm

OK I am getting ready for bed so if I don't post this now I am going to forget.
I have done the reading and this is what I got from it:
    We must rule over sin.
    If I sin, God will remove His presence from me.
    Enoch did not die, but God took him away.
    Because of the sinful human nature our days are numbered.
    The Lord regretted for making human beings but Noah found favor.
    Noah did EVERYTHING God commanded him. Noah did not question God or argue about it.
Leonie (My friends call me Blueberry (or was it Boobelly?))

http://www.stanley1126.wordpress.com

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Genesis 4 always brings up questions for me. The Scriptures seem to indicate that Eve only had three children, at first, but it must have been that she only had three sons, right? Because otherwise who did Cain marry? Or maybe the story is told out of order, and just followed Cain's story to the finish and then went back in time to Eve. Chapter 5 says she had many sons and daughters, so maybe Cain married one of the daughters born after Seth.

I've heard people say that when Cain moved to the land of Nod, that there were other people there, but it doesn't say that. It sounds more like it was an empty but named area and Cain was the one to settle in it, and build a city from his family.

How would you like to live 900 years? :lol: Honestly, in this body I would hate that. But obviously most of them must have been healthy. It seems like the whole body aged slower, don't you think? I tend to think of them as growing to adulthood by 20 and then just staying healthy for forever, but I'll bet they matured slowly and stayed "children" longer, too. Sounds like a lot of them didn't even start having kids until their 60s.

Can you see it? "Awww, grow up, Jared! You're acting like a forty-year-old." :lol:

There tends to be controversy about the Nephillium and the "sons of God", too, but I researched the root words a while back and "Nephillium" just means a large, strong person and the term "sons of God" is used frequently to mean humans who were trying to please God (it's only used in one passage, I think, to mean angels). So it seems to fit Scripture as a whole that the passage is just saying that Godly men fell in love with heathen women.

Can you imagine being a mother during that time, and having your baby boy killed just in case it might possibly be the Messiah? :?

OK, I doubt I'll be having this much commentary during the whole year, don't worry. ;)
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm home!

One of my best friends becky-napped me. We went back to her house and hung out for a while. We undecorated the tree and put it away for her mom and then put away other Christmas stuff.

then later we went out to get pizza for dinner with her mom and sister and brother-in-law and her two nephews. I Had lots of fun although I have a wicked headache and I can't stop coughing.

OH and my friend loved her candle and she gave me my present which is chocolate macadamia nuts, a hand-carved bookmark that has stuff cut out into it and says Hawaii and a keychain that says Hawaii and she got it all in Hawaii! :)
Dum Spiro Spero

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:12 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:
JoyAnn wrote:
AnneRene' wrote:Ivykins and Terror.....WHERE ARE YOU and HOW ARE YOU TWO MUCHKINS DOING? I saw Ivykins on FB but I'm honestly a little bit worried about you Terror...you don't seem like yourself and I care and worry just a tad bit...you know...it's that mother's heart thingy! :heehee

I wish everyone would stop telling me that!

Well it is true. You do seem a bit in the dumps there Spunky. they care for you and can't help but worry. Hey if they like a dog like me they have to love you.
Well, no It's not true, I'm still the same person I've always been I haven't changed, nor am I going to.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

Terrorizer41192@hotmail.com
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

tonguethaid

Postby tonguethaid » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:18 pm

So this is kinda going back to yesterday's reading, but I haven't read today's yet.

My Dad preached this morning at our old church and ironically it was out of Genesis 2. He pointed out how the garden was less jungle-like and actually more fieldlike, as it was God's intention that we would work and cultivate the fields even in paradise. So it was never God's plan that we sit and do nothing.

Thats all I heard of the sermon cause Aiden was freaking out in the nursery, so I had to go outside with him, which he's been having a rough time lately, he isn't usually that needy.

So I just figured out that I wont actually be a day behind, as long as I keep with the reading of the day, as in Thailand I am actually a day ahead. So even though I am finishing on the 1st it will be all of yours 31st :D
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Oh my it's such a beautiful day I just have to get out and go for a walk. I just couldn't stand myself If I didn't get out there now where it is so brilliantly beautiful right now! Today very much feels like spring is approaching. And Spring is my second favorite season.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

Terrorizer41192@hotmail.com
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:56 pm

tonguethaid wrote:My Dad preached this morning at our old church and ironically it was out of Genesis 2. He pointed out how the garden was less jungle-like and actually more fieldlike, as it was God's intention that we would work and cultivate the fields even in paradise. So it was never God's plan that we sit and do nothing.

I'm gonna have cocoa trees in heaven, and will make chocolate. I'll share. :mrgreen:

Oh my it's such a beautiful day I just have to get out and go for a walk.

Did you have a nice walk? :)

Becky, so glad your friend finally got the candle and liked it. :)
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.

BusBoss

Postby BusBoss » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:41 pm

IvyKat wrote:Hey folks, I'm back! Winter quarter starts tomorrow. I need to tell you all about the conference, because it was life-changing. I'm not exaggerating.

Hope you're all doing well. Love you.

Ivy

Hi Ivy 8)
My blog Da Bus Stop

I don't care whether the glass is half full or half empty. I want to know what's in the glass!

One of these days I will stop biting the bullet ... I will put it back in my gun and shoot

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:21 am

WAHHHH :!:

I posted a pretty loooong post and lost it with the emoticon thingy's.

Okay, picking my lip off the ground and tossing it over my shoulder....here I go again.

Amy....I love your commentaries, so don't ever refrain....you help me understand a lot of things, I didn't used to.

As for the Bible reading today....I guess I had forgotten, but was amazed at why we don't live long anymore. Also, (not because of any bona fide knowledge), I always thought the Son's of God (back then anyway) were Angels but always wondered why God allowed them to mingle with us humans.

Another question, so why did Jeremiah the prophet say, "A cry was heard in Ramah—
weeping and great mourning.
Rachel weeps for her children,
refusing to be comforted,
for they are dead."

And Boo....I'm with you on all of your bottom lines. Good synopsis!

Okay, this is just a little an itty bitty, teeny tiny bit off the subject, BUT Barbikins....you TOTALLY made me whole heartedly LOL! Image LIKE MEGA LAUGH OUT LOUD....you see....for awhile now, I've had this image of you....waaaaaaay back in the back of my mind when you say certain things that I see as funny and dag nabit, if tonight, you didn't nail it, SO NOW I HAVE TO officially give you this nickname. You are the 'female' counter-part to Garfield Kitty. Seriously, when you said 'oh bother' about your Mom being stoic and all....I lost it. Come on guys....anyone else see it?

This is your jammy day today

AAAAND this one is how I pictured you when your first week back at work ended.

:heehee
Last edited by AnneRene' on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:25 am

Rebecky wrote:I'm home!

One of my best friends becky-napped me. We went back to her house and hung out for a while. We undecorated the tree and put it away for her mom and then put away other Christmas stuff.

then later we went out to get pizza for dinner with her mom and sister and brother-in-law and her two nephews. I Had lots of fun although I have a wicked headache and I can't stop coughing.

OH and my friend loved her candle and she gave me my present which is chocolate macadamia nuts, a hand-carved bookmark that has stuff cut out into it and says Hawaii and a keychain that says Hawaii and she got it all in Hawaii! :)

Glad you had a nice day! But sorry about your wicked headache! :(

Yeah, and I wanna know too Jazzy-Tazzy....how was that walk and did you get any pictures?

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:28 am

tonguethaid wrote:So this is kinda going back to yesterday's reading, but I haven't read today's yet.

My Dad preached this morning at our old church and ironically it was out of Genesis 2. He pointed out how the garden was less jungle-like and actually more fieldlike, as it was God's intention that we would work and cultivate the fields even in paradise. So it was never God's plan that we sit and do nothing.

Thats all I heard of the sermon cause Aiden was freaking out in the nursery, so I had to go outside with him, which he's been having a rough time lately, he isn't usually that needy.

So I just figured out that I wont actually be a day behind, as long as I keep with the reading of the day, as in Thailand I am actually a day ahead. So even though I am finishing on the 1st it will be all of yours 31st :D

YAY on not being behind and cool about your Dad giving a sermon on what we're reading! Is he a Pastor and does he live in Colorado? I've gotten lost on what family lives where. As for Aiden....it's probably the altitude. :mrgreen: Poor little guy tho...he just knows he's not home, that's all.

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:35 am

Holly, you are just too funny! The graphics were right on! My day of rest has turned into a day of stress with work crisis going on. I am not enjoying my job these days. AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGhhhh
Now, what was I saying?
Barb Culler

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 am

Rachel weeps for her children,

SisJ answered this one for me when I wondered aloud about it. Great question and one I didn't know, either. SisJ thinks it's because Rachel was the mother of Jacob, who was later renamed Israel. If Rachel is the mother of the nation of Israel, then it would use her name to be symbolic of all the Israeli mothers weeping. Makes sense to me, anyway... :)

OK, warning. I love to debate for the fun of the thinking, so if you don't want to get into all this kind of things, you may skip the rest of my post. ;)

AnneRene' wrote:Also, (not because of any bona fide knowledge), I always thought the Son's of God (back then anyway) were Angels but always wondered why God allowed them to mingle with us humans.

That's a common theory. You definitely aren't alone in thinking that (or having thought that in the past). The problem I have with it is that it contradicts much of the rest of the Bible, and one has to make an exceptions in order to make it work.

As well as what I already mentioned, that the term "sons of God" is most often used in the Bible to meant humans who honor God, other passages in the Bible tell us that angels don't have gender or breed in any way. There are discriptions of times when angels or demons took on human form, and some believe that allowed them to "mingle" with humans, but that raises another issue. Humans are made in God's image and the plan of salvation and reconnection with God is only through belief in Jesus or (if they lived before that) looking forward to the Messiah. Angels, on the other hand, had a choice to follow God or follow Satan. They made that choice once and it holds forever. Also, humans right now are said to be "a little below angels".

So my question is how something can be half of one and half of the other. Can something be half in God's image? Half above humans and half equal with them? What way were they offered salvation, then? Did they have no chance to be saved, because their "angel fathers" had already made the choice to go against God, or were they able to have salvation by believing in God because their mothers still had that choice?

I just don't see how God could allow half angels and half humans. It seems to go against the basic laws of nature that He set up, not to mention against the plan of salvation. And since there is a simple explaination that makes sense in the context, it makes sense to me that the "sons of God" were men who happened to be very large and strong and were desiring to honor God, and "daughters of men" were women who were rebelling against God.

But, this is an issue that isn't one of the essentials. Someone can believe they were angels and still be a Christian, so it's something that I find fun to debate but that I wouldn't want to divide a relationship or church, if that makes sense. :)
Amy Michelle Wiley

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:04 am

Just wanted to pop I quick and let everyone know that Seema's laptop died. She's getting a new drive cuz it was fried. Dell is sending her a new one soon. She says Happy New years and is thinking of everyone.

I'm suppose to check in with doctor again. I'll see how I feel and might call. I did make it upto. My sisters today which was nice. Unfortallu it wore me out a lot. So I'm off to bee
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

BusBoss

Postby BusBoss » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:17 am

Ms. Barbie wrote:Holly, you are just too funny! The graphics were right on! My day of rest has turned into a day of stress with work crisis going on. I am not enjoying my job these days. AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGhhhh
Now, what was I saying?

I think you were saying :
AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGhhhh
:roll:

Hope things get better soon.
My blog Da Bus Stop

I don't care whether the glass is half full or half empty. I want to know what's in the glass!

One of these days I will stop biting the bullet ... I will put it back in my gun and shoot

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler