Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by deejay » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Study's over, and I'm $2000 richer.
The day before my caseworker gave me a pre-qualifying application for a new housing development here in Santa Ana. It's for artists, people who live in Santa Ana, and people who work in Santa Ana. I haven't written anything of substance in more than 5 years, so I didn't claim that preference; and since you have to be working at least 32 hours a week, I couldn't claim the working preference, so I had to go with the resident preference. The lowest rent for a one bedroom is $738 a month, which is more than I make. And you have to be earning 2 1/2 times the rent as well. Maybe I can talk to pastor about that.

The apartments forecasting a November occupancy, because they're currently under construction. I see they allow pets, but they offer electric ranges. I much prefer gas. Since today, my birthday, is the deadline for postmarking, I filled out the application and got it in the mail right away. I'm leaving whether I will be accepted or not in God's hands. If selected for an interview, I have to have a money order for the $25 fee, and then there's later, if accepted, a $500 fee to in. The rent on my storage is going up to $184 next month, from $155; since I'm a month ahead, I have to pay the new amount this month.

I've got to get ahold of my friends C.J. and Diane, because it's mostly their stuff in my storage. Hopefully they are close to getting a place of their own, so they can get their stuff out and I can get a smaller unit, plus the stuff in storage at church. What would be great is if I can get everything out, so I have one less expense every month.

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Hello! Long time, no see, everyone!

I I've been thinking about you lately, DeeJay. I'm glad there's a possibility for different housing. Could you find people to move in with you to lower your cost? I'm sure you've done a ton of research on other resources, but I was wondering if you've tried United Way? It looks like in your area, you can just call 211 and they may be able to hook you up with resources. I was also found this "Lakewood Housing Coalition" that might be helpful. It seems they are actively looking for people for shared apartments. http://www.nlchcp.com/homeless-1.html Some of the links appear to be broken, but the actual application seems to be working, and there's contact information too.

Also, you mentioned you have a liver impairment. Though, to be honest, I doubt you would qualify with just that, have you tried looking into your county's Vocational Rehabilitation program? It's worth a try, at least, even if you just call and ask. Ask if they have a waiting list for services. Or if you want to sound really official, ask if they are under "Order of Selection." ;) At least call and see if you can come in for an intake. Though it looks like CA does it different than Missouri, and makes you submit the application before you even come in for an intake. Here's the website. https://www.dor.ca.gov/Home/Services

It looks like you can use the link there to locate the closest office.

How are the rest of you doing?
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:16 pm

I'm trying to recover from my shoulder surgery. It's a slow process, especially because of my chronic problems. I'm hoping to do storytime at the library in September.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:58 pm

California has a different definition of disabled in that it must be something that significantly affects your ability to to care for yourself, etc.. High blood pressure? I just take one pill a day. NASH? Nothing, but losing weight would be a great idea. The two people that I could ask, my friends C.J. and Diane, would qualify as disabled, because Diane has myotonic muscular dystrophy, and C.J. has mental health issues. However, the new apartment complex is 100% smoke-free, and C.J. uses marijuana for her issues--not that I think it actually works, in my opinion. But yeah, I could look a couple of people to live with, even though I really prefer to be alone.

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:21 pm

Actually, for VR, the definition for “disability” is the same in all states, because it’s a federal program. While you are correct that you might not qualify, I still say it doesn’t hurt to at least ask. You don’t have to be receiving disability. But it does need to impact your work. So if you get tired/fatigued easily, or have lifting restrictions, you could qualify. And, actually, if they don’t have a waiting list and aren’t under Order of Selection (same thing, basically) then there just has to be documentation of a disability. That’s it. It doesn’t even have to have a major impact on your work. So I’d still at least ask. You’re working part time, not full time, right? And you’d like to work full time?

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Actually, I'm not sure I want to be working full time. I'm 63 now, though I'd like to wait until I'm 70 to take retirement. All limitations are due to getting older; I can't quite lift as much as I used to, and being fat does take a toll on my energy levels. But that usually happens to everyone in my age group. This is either a city or county project, so I don't know.

I can't wait to have a place where I can get all my stuff out of storage, take baths instead of showers or cleaning up in the bathroom at church, and have privacy--and watch what I want to watch on TV! I want to get away from the crazies, the pot and tobacco smoke, and have privacy, as well as go grocery shopping and cook, though I really don't like electric ranges. I want to come and go as I please, not have to wear a stupid badge, or have to be in at a certain time. I want to eat what I want, get myself a cat or two--I'll be checking their website, hopefully it will have the pet deposit and how many pets are allowed, as well as the size of the apartments there-- and just get back to normal. Maybe I can actually get some writing done.

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:34 pm

DeeJay, I'm genuinely curious. How many hours a week are you working now, and how many hours do you want to work? And how do you expect to be able to move out of a shelter if you don't want to work full time, don't want to move to a place where cost of living is lower, and don't want to move in with anyone? I know you said you'd consider getting a roommate, but in general your wants don't seem to line up with your needs.

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:51 pm

I'm paid on a salary basis for 16 hours a week, but sometimes work a few more hours than that. If the right person(s) came along, I would accept roommates. If the right opportunity came along and it didn't conflict with my current schedule and paid decently, I would consider it.

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:29 pm

Did not get approved for the apartments because I don't make enough. Well, maybe God has something else planned for me.
Recently we had a meeting at the shelter, and originally the shelter was supposed to close in October of this year, but we've been given a reprieve. We found out it's until June of next year. After that, they don't know. Apparently our new facility won't be ready by that time. Well, God has kept me off the street thus far, I don't think He's going to send me out there now.

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 pm

For the last 9 years, I've been carrying a white plastic box with my cat Tripod's ashes in it. Within the past year, it has begun leaking. Yesterday, I went on Amazon and ordered a new, rosewood box. It will have her name, dates, and Prov. 18:24 on the front, and I will photocopy the picture I have of her in my wallet and put it on top.

I need to get a much larger backpack--the reason her box broke (it's in a ziplock bag) is because of my having stuff in my backpack being on top of her and the pressure broke it. As I was looking at the urns and memorial items, the tears welled up in my eyes. Hopefully, this one won't break. It has a bottom panel that is held down with four screws. Nothing fancy, but dignified nonetheless.

I know I can share this with you all, because my family would judge me. They hate it whenever I mention her. Mom used to get so angry when I marked Tripod's April 15th birthday; I think that may have been her and Dad's anniversary. I do know they were married in April; I forgot what day. Must've been the 15th.

The urn just shipped, and should be in my mailbox later this week.

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Applied online--with some help with co-workers who are more tech-savvy than I--for a fulltime plus overtime temporary position with Samaritan's Purse, at their Fullerton location. It'll take three buses to get there, and the job fair is on Saturday the 28th. Frankly, it would be great to get out of janitorial. Thought I saw something on their site that said Fullerton positions tend to become permanent. And they seem to have a staff position whose function is to find housing for volunteers. We'll see about that. It would be great if I was able to get out of the shelter.

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:11 am

I hope it works out for you Deejay! It would be awesome to get a full-time job while helping others too.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Today, they're doing bedbug eradication, even though there's a pest control coming Saturday. So I had to bag my stuff up and leave it on my cot. What they do is they put your bed into a heat chamber, variously called the toaster, zapper, etc.. This morning while waiting in line for breakfast, I noticed someone was using a hand steamer on seams, etc. of a cot. That should definitely help.
Problem is, I'll be separated from my stuff for at least 3 days, and last time I was separated from my stuff for 6 weeks, during which some stuff was taken. That had better not happen this time. I can't take the stuff I need within the next few days because my backpack is already stuffed full.

Recently, I went to where my friends C.J. and Diane were staying--and found out they had moved months ago, no forwarding address. And I had bought them a bag of candy. So I have that extra weight in my backpack. (Remind me next time I go on Amazon--or Jansport, for that matter--to get one of those huge backpacks like what's used for overnight/weekend treks) That's probably why I've shrunk two inches, from 5'7" to 5' 5".

Pray I don't suffer a repeat of last time, and I can access what I need.

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:59 pm

So I packed the most essential items and took them with me to work. Even better, I got my stuff back last night, and there's nothing missing! I think they finally figured out the right way to do this! I had to borrow a blanket for last night--and returned it--and use the package of "dignity panties" for a pillow, but it's all good. Had to bag up again this morning and that should finish those little bloodsucking beasts. So nice to get a full night's sleep without being vampirized by a bedbug.

Last week the box for Tripod's ashes arrived, but I forgot to pick it up. I picked it up this morning, and either tonight or tomorrow Tripod's ashes will have a new home. And after I build up my Amazon account more, I'l start looking for a new backpack, because the one I bought late last year/early this year has a strap that the threads are showing on--it looks like it might tear off.

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm

I thought there was something wrong with the urn I bought, and fired off a complaint (couldn't get it open after removing the one screw). They graciously replied, saying the bottom panel slides off. I wish they'd put a label on it saying that.

I was going through my stuff under my bed, because they're yelling at everybody to downsize, and as I picked up a bag there was a MOUSE in it! It scurried off; I had a Thomas Bros. map book of Orange and L.A. counties and a Gousha atlas of California in that bag. Luckily the mouse didn't chew or pee on anything, but left quite a bit of poo behind! So about half of the stuff under my bed is going to go into my bin, after I go through me bin tomorrow and put the stuff I'm putting in storage at church in my cart to take with me to work on Thursday.

So, hopefully I can get Tripod's cremains, etc. into the urn Thursday without a problem. I just wish I had my own place so I could put her somewhere so I won't lose her or anything. Someone I find a place to scatter her ashes; I think that is a disgusting and barbaric practice. That's like taking a loved one or best friend and throwing them in the trash. How is that supposed to honor them?

Return to “The Water Cooler”