Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Rebecky
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by Rebecky » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:50 am

Tell that grandbaby of yours to keep cooking until my birthday! We can share :D

Things with grandparents have been majorly stressful and specifically my main job I do for them now which is their finances. Too many cooks in the kitchen. I often find myself crying or stressed from it all and just want to quit.

But, I decided to do Camp Nanowrimo because I had a story i've been trying to get out but couldn't and needed the extra push. To make it even more harder, I started 15 days too late. BUT I can change my word goal, so instead of 50k, I'm attempting 25k in 15 days (less now) and I haven't even reached 1,000 words yet, but thats okay because i'm not stressing it. I'll be happy with whatever I get out.
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:45 pm

I called M today and told her that she should have the baby on the 10th because her birthday would be 5-10-15. That's almost as cool as 11-11-11. My memory is awful Becky, tell me when your birthday is again? I'm glad you're doing some writing. I know it helps me a lot. What is CampNanowrimo? I've heard of the thing in November but never the camp thing.

I'm so sorry about your grandparents. I wish there was something fun we could do that would take your mind off it if even for a little bit.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:12 pm

Interesting, young adult / teen novels seem to be liberal with ly adverbs. Harry Potter had 7 in the first few pages and Our Fault with the Stars has 5.
Shann, I'll email you a few sample pages of my book to see my ly words.

Pup, do you take bath, being a canine and all?
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:27 am

Shann wrote:I called M today and told her that she should have the baby on the 10th because her birthday would be 5-10-15. That's almost as cool as 11-11-11. My memory is awful Becky, tell me when your birthday is again? I'm glad you're doing some writing. I know it helps me a lot. What is CampNanowrimo? I've heard of the thing in November but never the camp thing.

I'm so sorry about your grandparents. I wish there was something fun we could do that would take your mind off it if even for a little bit.
Why not have her born on 5-15-15, the numbers are exactly the same forwards as backwards. ;)
(then again even 5-1-15 would be the same backwards and forwards)

My birthday is April 30th, a week from this coming Thursday.

Well, in Camp NaNoWriMo it's just in April and/or July but you can also edit your word goal. Which I don't think you can do in NanoWriMo in November.
jaybird wrote:Interesting, young adult / teen novels seem to be liberal with ly adverbs. Harry Potter had 7 in the first few pages and Our Fault with the Stars has 5.
Shann, I'll email you a few sample pages of my book to see my ly words.

Pup, do you take bath, being a canine and all?
Hmmm, I should count how many -ly adverbs I have in mine I just started writing.

... eugh. 15 -ly adverbs in over 1,500 words. Thats about one every 100 words. >_<
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:32 am

It's okay to use ly words, just not a string of them or if there is a verb that fits better, use that. For example: She walked slowly along the river bank. Instead uses this She strolled along the river bank. Instead of He was very mad, use He was furious or turn it active to His anger consumed him (though that's a bit cliché)

Becky, if she goes into labor on the 30th, she said she'd hold the baby in because she gets disability payments but the baby has to be born on or after May 1. Though, I've experienced the urge to push before and it's impossible to hold it in! :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:29 pm

May 1st is a good date too. You'll still get your alternating 5-1-15 and its still the same backward and forward. :D

Well, as far as my story goes right now i'm just trying to write, editing and grammar will come when I'm done. If I ever make it that far. When it comes to novel or books I quit halfway through cause I feel like its stupid or cliche. Maybe I should make it a novella instead, anyway, we'll see. :)
Dum Spiro Spero

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Rebecky wrote: When it comes to novel or books I quit halfway through cause I feel like its stupid or cliche. Maybe I should make it a novella instead, anyway, we'll see. :)
Why is it a cliche?

:shock: I'm shocked, Shann, editors say no ly words! (unless, it's YA/teen editors) "Suddenly" gets overused. I searched my book and saw I started a few sentences with "Halfway." :lol:

We visited a different church. It was nice; started like a concert. It was an interesting concept, 2 guys did the sermon like just a conversation.

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Taking a break. :book2
Rebecky wrote:My birthday is April 30th, a week from this coming Thursday.
Is that like a hint or something? :P
jaybird wrote:Pup, do you take bath, being a canine and all?
Is that a joke about me being a slob? Of course I take baths, love a good hot soak. This little place I am in now is terribibble (and yes Shann that is a word) all it has is a shower, and a small one at that. My Cottage on the other hand has a deep-dish cast-iron clawfoot tub that I have reconditioned for a hot-tub. :wink:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 pm

Not at all, Shann asked. I actually hate my birthday and never want to celebrate. Its just another day.
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:43 am

We were talking about days for my granddaughter to be born. My favorite number is 5 and she's due 5-5, but then I thought 5-10-15. Becky gave some cool suggestions too, including her birthday and my poor brain couldn't remember when it was.

Jay, I know editors suggest to go easy on adverbs, which include ly words. Sometimes, you do need them, but some people go overboard on it. Jan just did a lesson not too long ago about how to balance using adverbs and adjectives. You should check it out.

I got your sample Jay, but things are hectic right now. I do like what you did though.
Shann

Shann's Profile

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:10 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:Taking a break. :book2
Rebecky wrote:My birthday is April 30th, a week from this coming Thursday.
Is that like a hint or something? :P
jaybird wrote:Pup, do you take bath, being a canine and all?
Is that a joke about me being a slob? Of course I take baths, love a good hot soak. This little place I am in now is terribibble (and yes Shann that is a word) all it has is a shower, and
Of course, it's a joke. How would I know you're a slob anyway?
Shann would like this - it's the year 5775 on the on the Jewish calendar.

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:43 pm

Rebecky wrote:Not at all, Shann asked. I actually hate my birthday and never want to celebrate. Its just another day.
I will trade you. :wink:

Moved.

MOVED.

MOVED.

Umm.. if you hadn't guessed, I am finally moved in to my old cottage by the sea. Well, it is really about half a mile from there, but still. All the inside has been remodeled, and... the first of the complex to get new paint, starting this month. I might just have to have a BarBQ to celebrate when all is done. But for now... I am MOVED. :mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Are we invited to the BBQ? I'm glad you moved. That claw foot tub probably came in quite handy?

Becky, don't get discouraged keep writing! I've been praying for you this week. I know you're not actually in Baltimore, but I imagine that you still might feel some of the repercussions. I've been praying for the whole city.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:28 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECKY!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU

Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat May 02, 2015 12:13 am

Now now... I thought she said she didn't like her birthday. :tongue

JesusPuppy Profile

Return to “The Water Cooler”