Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:34 pm

Who do you think coined the phrase, "Spell check is my friend"??? True at the time it came out, "Spiel chick is me fiend," but it was spelled right. :roll:

Worse still is the actual word usage. Peddle paddle petal pedal. And don't forget witch kind of flower to use in your cookies. :lol:

:sorry
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:02 pm

Lyd showed me some videos of a teacher who talks about not needing spell check. It was so funny. It's called the Impotence of Proofreading. Here's the link:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=WL&v=p_rwB5_3PQc
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Weird Al Yankovic has a song and music video called "Word Crimes" which is in the vein of modern misuse of language and spelling.

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:18 pm

By the way, some of you may remember that a few weeks ago I had a bit of drama over a missing washcloth. Yesterday, as I was searching one of my underbed boxes for a pencil--had several in a 1970s vintage pencil case/calculator--the calculator doesn't really work anymore--what should I find but my old washcloth! Apparently when I dumped my clean laundry onto my bed for sorting, it fell behind my bed next to the wall. But I now have a new washcloth, plus I took a cleaning cloth, and both have my name on them. So I put my old washcloth in with the cleaning cloths! :mrgreen:

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:34 pm

Time gremlins DeeJay. There was an old Twilight Zone show that said there were little people who moved objects from one minute to the next explaining why we were positive we left our keys on the counter only to find them later in our pockets--time gremlins or your theory works too, but mine is more exciting. :clown
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:21 pm

DJ.. is it a big house? With a basement? It could be.... need I say it... ALIENS. :shock:

JAY! Looks like it is going to take toooo long for me to get to your story. Seems every time I get a day to work on it something comes up. So far I have only got to him getting the "Message" from Kansas. :(

Now I have to finish my old cottage by the end of the month. And the landlord still hasn't had the plumber in yet. He did schedual a different one to come by...... on the 14th. :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:45 am

Oohhh I never thought of aliens. They must be using mind control, otherwise it would have been my first thought. Jay, have you ever entered the challenge? I think it's an amazing tool. I should get back into doing it again. If only I didn't procrastinate... Maybe next quarter, though I have made myself enter every quarter. This one is titles of hymns, but not the song itself, just the idea.
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Pup, it's a two-story house, with basement, and one half was built in 1912 as a dental office; the half we live in was added on later, maybe late 1930s-early 1940s.
We've been having issues with those who rent the other half, as well as with a couple of roommates, so I'm beginning to think part of this house is cursed in some way.

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:25 pm

Curses only have as much truth as you give them credit. Meself... I don't believe in curses. I do believe in aliens though. :wink:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:19 pm

I agree with Pup. Always do, always have, except when he bashes himself, that I blame on the aliens! :tongue

I went to M's this weekend to help her do some housework to get ready for the baby. Her due date is only 3 weeks away. I can't believe that most likely by this time next month, I'll be Grammy Shann or maybe Gram Shann or GramS (I'm still working on names). Since they won't tell me the baby's name, why should I tell them my grandmother name? They did tell their dog, but he won't tell me. I tried this weekend, he started to tell me, but they looked at him and he chickened out.
Shann

Shann's Profile

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:36 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:DJ.. is it a big house? With a basement? It could be.... need I say it... ALIENS. :shock:

JAY! Looks like it is going to take toooo long for me to get to your story. Seems every time I get a day to work on it something comes up. So far I have only got to him getting the "Message" from Kansas. :(

Now I have to finish my old cottage by the end of the month. And the landlord still hasn't had the plumber in yet. He did schedual a different one to come by...... on the 14th. :roll:
That's alright, Pup, whenever you get a my book is fine. I'm patient.

Actually, Shann, I entered 1 challenge like 3 weeks ago. I'm considering submitting more.

I finished proofing my YA novel with Mom's assistance and suggestions. I did some research on the dreaded "ly" words so now I'm going back to eliminate them. Also, I reviewed dialogue tag usage. Something about "ing" words in tags.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Ahhhh Jay, I'm doing my happy dance! I'm so sorry I missed it. I'm gonna try and find it now.

I can't do a complete edit for you Jay, but if you'd like, I can look at a few pages and give some suggestions.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Here is Jay's story. I hope you all will read it. It is really good and out of the box.
http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=50435
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:36 am

Shann wrote:I agree with Pup. Always do, always have, except when he bashes himself, that I blame on the aliens! :tongue
Oh ya, well.... :tongue back at ya.

Busy week this. :(

Almost died from cleaning my place for veiwing. And yes they want to move in next month. The good news about that.... I will be moved BACK into my old cottage. :mrgreen:

He had a hard time getting the plumbing reset but finally got the old claw foot tub back in place today. I should be able to start moving in next week sometime.

Hummmm.. Busy week next too it seems. :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:44 am

I'm jealous... Claw foot tub! I hope it all works out for you. Sometimes busy is good. Amy and I are trying to encourage each other with schedules and walking together. Only a couple more weeks until baby comes!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Return to “The Water Cooler”