Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by deejay » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:11 pm

I came to work on Thursday, and after turning on my phone, I got a text message from pastor, saying not to be alarmed, but someone broke in and stole the TV in the fireside room, again--they did that last year, too. Later, after Pastor came in, he showed me pictures on his phone that the wiring in the parking lot lights had been torn out. Not for copper, but sheer vandalism.
When the TV was stolen, the alarm didn't go off; I'm thankful they didn't break a window to get in--unsecure kitchen door this time--like last time. So Thursday and Friday we had reps from our alarm company come by to assess our need for a system upgrade. Turns out the sensor in the fireside room was improperly installed. We're going to get a better set-up, including cameras, and our renting churches will be helping out.
I noticed an unsecure gate in the west patio area, and told pastor about it. He got a chain and padlock and locked it up. I always do a security check before leaving after work, but that's only and Thursday and Friday; that leaves the rest of the week for others to check. And normally nobody's at church on Monday.
Well, you know you're doing damage to Satan's kingdom when he starts sending vandals and burglars, etc., to your church or church family.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:23 pm

I think Phil must be accurate 100% of the time because he has two chouces--6 more weeks of winter or 6 weeks until spring. It's the same thing which is what makes it so brilliant.

The crash was horrible. It was just out of NYC, a few towns upstate. I don't know anyone from that area, but I'm sure there are members in that region.

I'm feeling a bit better. I wish the weather would let up. We are supposed to get more snow today and tomorrow The storm you mentioned Pup is hitting us now. Can I blame you for it?) . Becky would love playing in my driveway. There's an 8 foot mountain of snow behind my car. The snowplow kid came yesterday and I expressed my displeasure at his brilliance. He couldn't totally fix it, but after Chris shoveled, it's able to get move a bit.

Now I'm planning for baby shower which is fun. The theme is BookQwl. I have things in owls cuz M loves them. The baby will probably be terrified of them. I've bought like 10-15 owl outfits along with hangers, owl shaped chalkboard, owl basket, owl night light and picture frame. Plus we are doing things with books. I'm making food related to storybooks. One of the games will be to try to figure out which book the food represents.

Can you guys guess?

A Fruit plate (shaped like an owl for fun, not for book)
Meatballs
Pigs in blankets
Colored goldfish crackers
Cookies
Banana bread muffins shaped like owls using nutter-butter cookies
Devil eggs with ham (eggs are colored)

Anybody have any other ideas. I need to balance menu
I was thinking coconut something for Chicca Boom Boom

Glad to see you pop back in Wheelie Girl. I see Holly is MIA again. I miss people not popping in. I know FW has a page on FB but I like it here better.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Praise report! Sissy got her truck back! God gave her turn by turn directions to find it, and of course the stereo and speakers were missing, the steering column was cracked, but she got to witness to lots of people, including the Muslim tow truck driver!
The wires were torn out of our parking lot lights because the person thought they needed to be sure they wouldn't come on; which is ironic because they don't work anyway--need new bulbs. Pastor says we get cars dumped in our parking lot from time to time; some were stolen, brought to church and completely stripped, others were parked in our lot by people from a fourplex community next door, and they get broken into. Because we are a non-profit, by law we can't let people use our parking spaces if they don't have business with us, but they do it anyway. We've tried explaining this to them, but they never listen.

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:03 pm

Would it be wrong to suggest fried chicken??? :mrgreen:

Storming here. Blowing like crazy, light flickering and already went out twice so far. Our last storm of the year, I hope, and it seems a biggy. Too bad we don't get much lightning, I would love a good thunder storm. :mrgreen:

Oh well, I am getting work out it, IF it would only stop raining. Three fencing jobs and one porch rebuild. I am surprized no roofs have blown off this year.

DJ.... not again. They need a better alarm system for that place. True, it is a blessing nothing more was done. I'm willing to bet it was the same guys again (probably from the complex next door). The one they took last year died on them and they needed a new one. :roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:11 pm

Yeah, I think it was someone from next door too. Last year, they hauled the TV away with the handtruck/cart I used to use to haul trash to the dumpster. There's an elementary school on our north side, across the street on the west is a middle-class apartment complex, across another street on our south is an upper class apartment complex, and kittycorner between west and south there's an exclusive apartment complex. The fourplexes are on our east side, and there are second story units where someone could see all our comings and goings, etc.. So I think it was them. Trying to haul a big screen TV across the street on a handtruck/cart could damage it, plus make it obvious that they were up to no good. So across the parking lot, along the sidewalk to the fourplex, bingo, home safe. I think it's possible someone stole it because they needed drug money.

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:03 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:Would it be wrong to suggest fried chicken??? :mrgreen:

Storming here. Blowing like crazy, light flickering and already went out twice so far. Our last storm of the year, I hope, and it seems a biggy. Too bad we don't get much lightning, I would love a good thunder storm. :mrgreen:
:

For which book? Chicken Little? Hey I have Pigs in Blanket for Geraldine (who is a pig and carries her blanket everywhere!)

DeeJay, you make me appreciate that I live where there are more cows than people. How many times do you see a cow lifting a stereo? Even the 8ft snowbank that the brilliant plow dude put behind my car is better than a cow breaking in...wait what's wrong there?

So Pup, I know I asked before, but don't think you understood my question (or you were just ignoring me in an effort to make me pound head against wall! Are you toyally done working at the store? What happened or don't you want to talk about it? Is it nicer to work in the daylight with the normal people? :tongue

Becky, you must be really down. You didn't even pop in to talk about your team winning that big sport thingie everyone was talking about.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:03 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:Would it be wrong to suggest fried chicken??? :mrgreen:

:

For which book? Chicken Little? Hey I have Pigs in Blanket for Geraldine (who is a pig and carries her blanket everywhere!)

DeeJay, you make me appreciate that I live where there are more cows than people. How many times do you see a cow lifting a stereo? Even the 8ft snowbank that the brilliant plow dude put behind my car is better than a cow breaking in...wait what's wrong there?

So Pup, I know I asked before, but don't think you understood my question (or you were just ignoring me in an effort to make me pound head against wall! Are you toyally done working at the store? What happened or don't you want to talk about it? Is it nicer to work in the daylight with the normal people? :tongue

Becky, you must be really down. You didn't even pop in to talk about your team winning that big sport thingie everyone was talking about.
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Shann, you made a double post.

I would love to live in a rural area--way less noise, traffic, bothersome neighbors, no JWs coming around, no dealing with trick-or-treaters, etc..
Speaking of bothersome neighbors, there's a family across the street from us who have a Maltese mix. He's a total lovebug, but they don't treat him right. My roomies C.J. and Diane have seen their little kids smack the dog in the face, the adults kick him around, let him run in the street, and he keeps coming over to our house because he knows we'll love on him, plus he's made friends with Brandon. This morning he came over with a bleeding ear--must've cut it a bit trying to get out of his yard. I asked C.J. if she wanted me to contact the rescue that helped us with Camaro, a cat who ended up being put down because he had cancer, and she said no, she was going to make some calls. We have witnesses to how these people treat this lovable dog, and C.J. texted me at lunch saying that if the people across the street ask about their dog--his name's Toby, by the way--I am to say I know nothing. These people once left a threatening note, in broken English, in our mailbox. Toby knows where he can find the love he seeks, and he obviously doesn't care for his owners. Otherwise, he's clean and well-fed.

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:13 pm

Shann for got me! A man without a Rest-Stop! Woe is me.
Hey, I found sandwiches made into owls (better than saying owl sandwiches) whoo knew!
http://allaboutowlets.blogspot.com/2012 ... iches.html
deejay's church needs guard dogs or at least beware of dogs signs.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:24 pm

Guard dogs can be bribed, and shot, etc.. W e prefer guard angels; maybe we should re-anoint the church? As I said, all four of our congregations are going to chip in the use our talents and gifts--and money--to upgrade our 12-15 year old security system.

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:15 pm

Yeah then you have to feed dogs and then you have to scoop poop. :lol:
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Jay I'd never forget you. I was thinking of doing banana bread with cream cheese and nutter butters in the shape of owls. I believe there is even a book about peanut butter and bananas, but can't think of it. I'll check out the sandwiches Jay.
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:32 pm

OOOOoh I thought you were looking for OWL theme foods for the baby shower. :wink:

As for the job..? YES I quit. And I did tell you. I think.

Check this out. Dixie Wailin'.. You will love it, it is a funeral dirge. :heehee
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm doing Book Owl instead of bookworm. Now deep-fried owl would work...

I think you posted something about it during a spell when I wasn't following the site as often because I was overwhelmed with Dad junk. Are you happier at what you're doing now Pup?

I posted a picture on FB of the snow and Leah posted a picture of LA (I think it was some place that looked warm) stating it was sunny and in the 70s. Even though I don't mind the snow usually, this winter has been tough.
jaybird wrote:Yeah then you have to feed dogs and then you have to scoop poop. :lol:
You're supposed to fed them AND scoop poop? Man, I knew I was doing something wrong. :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:20 pm

The Super Bowl? My team wasn't in it.
Dum Spiro Spero

Return to “The Water Cooler”