Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by deejay » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:23 pm

Shann, remember that the devil seeks to steal, kill and destroy. If you are really living for Jesus, the enemy will do his utmost to wreck your life. It's a given. But remember also, through Christ we have the V-I-C-T-O-R-Y! He will never leave you nor forsake you. He's on your side, and is always at your side. Hang in there and give that stupid ol' devil a good butt-whippin'! :D

This morning our roommate Shirley decided to wait until now to tell C.J. she had a doctor's appointment today, so the meeting was a scrub. Most of what C.J. wanted to bring up concerned her. But I digress. Yesterday I had to go out in the rain to do my laundry. Monday I managed to finally spray my backpack and waist purse with Scotchgard to waterproof them. Didn't work. Man, I can remember when if you put Scotchgard on something and took it out in the rain, the water would just bead up and run off. Coleman used to be a great brand, too; but last year or the year before I bought a rain suit by Coleman, and the first time I wore it, the pants tore along the inner seams. What is happening to American brands? :x

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:52 pm

Thank you Pup and DeeJay for your wonderful words of encouragement. I can't tell you how much it means to me. I cried when I was done with your prayer Pup. I don't deserve such awesome friends, but am so grateful to have you all in my corner. You're amazing! I love ya all (even the oddballs, which is pretty much everyone here, which is why I love ya so! :tongue )
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:22 pm

:eyes
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:33 pm

Hiya Becky!!!!! Nice seeing your eyes... :mrgreen: (Sorry, I tried I'm just not in a witty mood, but I'll work on it for the next time. :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Oops. Just wrote out a post, and then closed the page off instead of submitting. :oops:

Just a quick note saying I been busy the past few days, and will be out of town next week. Just small remodels mostly, but at least they are paying good.

So glad to see Re-Kiddo-Becky is still listed as one of us "Oddballs" as Shann so lovingly put it. :mrgreen: Hang in there every body, the world isn't going to end for a couple more weeks. :wink:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:08 am

So Pup are you working at the story at all anymore? If not does that mean you don't get to see your little rugrat friend as much?
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Thursday at work, I managed to get a little ahead on Friday's chores before I had to teach Bible study. Friday, I finished at a quarter past three, and went to the office to type up and print out my next Bible study before serving as a food runner for our Volunteer Appreciation Dinner. The menu included spaghetti, eggplant parmesan, Italian bread, sparkling cider, salad, cheesecake and triple chocolate torte. After serving everyone, we--me, Pastor Brian, Danielle and my friends Selina and Narrah ate in the kitchen. Oh, there were cookies too--most of those, as well as a bag of chocolates that were overlooked--ended up in the office as staff snacks. :mrgreen: I had some milk, too--two gallons had been bought for Thanksgiving baskets, but somehow ended up not being given out. One was being used in the café, but started to turn, so I threw it out. The other was okay, and I was allowed to take it home last night, along with some leftovers. YAY! Milk I can drink, use for pudding and Ovaltine! :superhappy Best of all, I didn't get a stomach ache--I haven't eaten eggplant parmagiana (sp?)/parmesan in forever--and am praising God for a good digestion!

There was only one little mishap--Pastor Brian was trying to hand off a tray of fried eggplant so Danielle could sprinkle it with cheese before baking it, and the tray spilled onto the stove, a couple pieces hit the floor and were discarded, and some of the ones that fell onto the stove started to catch fire. No danger, though--they were quickly retrieved, and the burning was more like a candle rather than a need to call 911. Quite a few fell into the pan of cooking oil, so got a bit more cooked. But everything was fine. We had a potential slip and fall hazard--a new tenant in our church brought a couple of their own fridges, and our freezer and I think their fridge started leaking water on the floor, so we had to get that cleaned up. Plus as Selina and I were washing dishes and glasses prior to serving, there was quite a bit of water splashed on the floor, so we had to keep that cleaned up as well. As I washed and dried the glass stemware for water, I was thankful I didn't take after my father's side of the family, as they have essential tremor. Can you imagine me washing and drying, not to mention carrying a tray, of glassware if my hands shook? :shocked
Anyway, the dinner went off smoothly, the menu was well appreciated, and a couple of guests wondered why I was not among the honorees. Narrah told them it's because I'm paid staff. Well, there are a few things I do that aren't paid--like sweeping and vacuuming the sanctuary and foyer before first service, picking up the trash out front, and lighting the candles before first and second services. Plus occasionally being asked to pray before service and run the Powerpoint in the sound booth. And before the dinner, I had to move--with only a little help--over 100 chairs from the sanctuary--I'd stacked them the day before--into the prayer room and another small room off the sanctuary, as well as help set up for the dinner. Yes, I was ready to drop last night! I had to get a soda from the office minifridge to keep me going. But it was all worth it.

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Shann wrote:So Pup are you working at the story at all anymore? If not does that mean you don't get to see your little rugrat friend as much?
What story? :tongue

As for the girls, I saw them yesterday. It was only for a few minutes but we did play a quick game of tag running around in the laundromat. and I need to drop off a few things with their dad later this afternoon. I can see them when I want, I mean really... they only live about a half mile from me.

JesusPuppy Profile

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:25 am

Hi Guys! Not going MIA again, juuuust busy, busy, busy. Been thinking 'bout y'all and praying that all of ewes are saturated in the peace of Jesus and the warmth and joy of this Holy time of year.

Wheelygirl (did I spell that right?), you and Jaybird are such blessings as living testimonies of faith in the one who delivers us from the emotional turmoil of dealing with daily trials. All of you encourage me but since I don't have any major physical disabilities, I am in awe of how gracefully and lovingly you reach out to help others "press on".

Pup....I too was deeply touched and blessed from your encouraging words.

And Deejay...you are a riot! Love how candid and humble you are.

k....must get about my Fathers business and go to work. Have a new client with dementia and she too is a blessing to me with her humble heart to take deep breaths and turn to the loving arms of Jesus when she gets unraveled with remembering she can't remember so many things. Was that an oxymoron? :)

Adios for now. Cyber hugs!

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:09 am

Hi all, I suppose I should update on how my life is going.

I'm still going to my grandparents house but not as often as I was. They have some very nice ladies coming over to help with my grandfather and my grandfather also has hospice now. He's not in the end stage of Parkinson's yet but we think he's not too far off from the last stage. His pain has to be managed with stronger meds now.

Also, my best friend's grandmother has hospice too. She was diagnosed with bone cancer four years ago, the same month this friend and I had gotten into the car accident and the same year this same grandmother lost her husband to cancer. She had been fighting it very bravely with chemo and radiation but the cancer has progressed way too much and they've discontinued chemo. She's now at home and being kept comfortable, she has gone downhill very fast in the last 3 weeks, the family honestly doesn't think she'll make it to see Christmas. My best friend is very torn up and sad- her grandmother is like her best friend and she was hoping she would get to see her walk down the aisle next year.

As some of you may remember, it was this time 3 years ago when my (other) grandfather was sick. Friday will be 3 years since his death. I've been thinking about him a lot over the last few weeks.

My mom keeps asking me if it feels like Christmas yet- I just tell her i'll get back to her next year.

I got to see my 8 year old niece perform in the Nutcracker in Washington D.C. on Monday with the Maryland Ballet Company. She auditioned for a part in the Bon Bon dance and got that roll. However, you can't miss more than 2 practices and she missed her third practice the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Originally she would have been kicked out of the ballet altogether but since it was so close to production they decided to just take her out of the dance she tried out for. She was in the opening party scene and she was also a toy soldier. She did a really great job and all is exhausted. She had 7 shows in 5 days. The seventh show being a local show with her local teacher/class and its not the full blown Nutcracker but what they called "A Nutcracker in a Nutshell".

Well, I suppose that's all for now. Ta-Ta!
Dum Spiro Spero

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:55 am

:hugs2 Praying for you Kiddo. One day it will be like Christmas every day.

JesusPuppy Profile

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:50 am

Ditto Beakers....what pup said...which is so cool pup...one day it WILL be like Christmas eeeeevery day. :superhappy But until then...sending heartfelt prayer for you and your loved ones. :grouphug

Family, Friends and Critters :)

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Hello all!

Becky, praying for you and your loved ones. Yes, I concur with Pup,One day it will be like Christmas every day.

Listening to Christmas carols is my favorite thing to do, along with family time. Winter has kept me from Christmas church services, which are usually the Sunday before. I remember a couple I did attend: the little kids doing a nativity play and a drama with the song "Mary did you know" and I recited a poem I wrote in 2000.

This is great! An unlikely duet with Bing Crosby and David Bowie. The Little Drummer Boy, my favorite Christmas carol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiXjbI3kRus
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:08 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:
Shann wrote:So Pup are you working at the story at all anymore? If not does that mean you don't get to see your little rugrat friend as much?
What story? :tongue

As for the girls, I saw them yesterday. It was only for a few minutes but we did play a quick game of tag running around in the laundromat. and I need to drop off a few things with their dad later this afternoon. I can see them when I want, I mean really... they only live about a half mile from me.
I meant store. Sorry. Story is good too. Are you working on one?
Shann

Shann's Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Sorry, I haven't been around much. I think of you all so much. I even texted Barb and Seema to see if my west coast friends were affected by the storm. I won't complain about our snowstorms. Man I'd rather have that than mus slides and floods. I hope and pray you're all safe. Amy said she mainly had winds and some tress were damaged. How did the rest of you fare?

We've had more snow this winter...but I even went out in the big storm Wed night to go to the Christmas party at church. Lyd came with me. It was a nice night even though my anxiety was super high all day.

Dad is back at a different nursing home. That has been so hard to deal with, but a huge blessing, even with all the incredible stress (I'm working on editing and organizing things for testimony book, rewriting another book for a client, trying to keep up with other smaller editing jobs, dealing with huge family issues on both sides of family, worrying about M being so sick with her pregnancy and trying not to say the wrong things because she knows the sex and is keeping it a surprise for now (grr) I want to know if I'm right!!!) and the normal stress of the holiday, I have not had any major outbreaks since October! Normally just the stress of the holiday season and changing weather would put me in the hospital! God is so good.

Becky, I'm so sorry that this time is hard for you. I do understand and I;m praying for you. I remember I wanted to cancel Christmas the year Mom died, but I had little ones and put on a brave face. It turned out to be the hardest Christmas and the best. Mom had bought gifts for everyone and labelled them in her handwriting. Dad included the sticky notes with the gifts. Although she would shop early, for her to have something for everyone by the time she died in August was phenomenal. I realized how much she loved me and how much more God loved me. Then 5 days later, Lydia was born. A perfect blessing to end a very difficult year. As Mom always said Keep your chin up and your eyes on the Lord.

Love ya all and am thinking of you even when I can't pop in much!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Return to “The Water Cooler”