To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby JesusPuppy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:50 pm

jaybird wrote:I have no clue where I heard 200 years. :roll:

Must have been in a Sci-fi book.

Well me time off is over, kids going back to school. (they both cried when I left yesterday) :(

So, I watched the sunset on the marsh and rode me bike back in the dark. It was cool except for one thing, sitting there for a couple hours to watch as the sun goes down you have to look right into the sun, and it was actually bright. It was relaxing though, to sit there watching the bats eat bugs. True it took me a few minutes to figure out what those wheeling black blurs were, but it was a good evening. I took a few pictures, but they are still on me camera, I will share them as soon as I download them to me comp.

OOO one of the "Days with the kids".... I went to their house, before I had lunch, thinking to take them to DQ. They had just finished lunch when I got there, but MOM said they could have an ice cream cone. I had me a burger and large box of fries, they each had a sundae. Half way into my lunch and the little ones are stealing my fries. To which MOM tells them, "You two have to finish you ice cream first." Parents sat there for a second looking at each other then started laughing. It was kind of funny at the time. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 am

jaybird wrote:Little Bird is relaxing in Oregon. We were talking about birds and how long they live. From the recesses of my factoid brain I heard that eagles lived 200 years. We both searched online. No such record. Eagles live 20-50 years. I have no clue where I heard 200 years. :roll:

perhaps you're thinking of sea turtles?

JesusPuppy wrote:
Rebecky wrote:Oo! I agree with Alison! Pup is so nutty he's bananas!

Shann wrote:Pup is a nutty banana! :tongue

That's it... :tongue to all three of you.

You know you love us Pup!! :D
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:32 am

Hey wheeliegirl so glad to see you pop in. You're more than welcome to join in on anything. Don't let the oddball scare you off, after all I come here often and am perfectly normal and sane! :tongue

We are a great group who like to tease, support, and pray for one another and the more the merrier. We've lost quite a few regulars over the years and it's nice to replenish the group.

Hmm sea turtles and Eagles. I don't even have a good comeback.

Can someone please tell me how it got to be September already? Yesterday it was just 1983 and I was graduation gift from high school and now all the little ones are heading off to school again. Do you think if we didn't have school, time would slow down? :mrgreen:

The leaves are changing already here in Western NY. Some trees are even pretty bare already and I'm still waiting for my garden to grow. I picked a few green beans and some celery and tomatoes, but the rest is still growing, especially the cabbages and cukes.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:02 pm

Saturday I forgot the Orange library was closed for the Orange International Street Fair, but I wasn't the only one. So I wasn't online then. Today, because it's Labor Day and the library's closed, I'm at church using their computer. Shortly after I started, the power went out and I heard an alarm bell ringing. I knew it wasn't the intrusion alarm because I had turned it off, and the offices aren't covered by the system. I checked, and it was the fire protection panel. So I went through the building, but saw nothing of concern.
I knew pastor doesn't answer phone calls, text messages, or emails on Mondays, so I tried calling our experience lead--my supervisor--and left a voicemail. Tried to call our administrator, but her phone is either out of service or disconnected. Tried my pastor's father-in-law, left a voicemail. Finally got a text from my super, who said our maintenence guy would be here within the hour. Anyway, eventually the power came back on, I was able to finish fixing a bug on my computer as well as get to work on my email, etc.. The maintenance guy came with my super's husband, I told them about the problem, but by that time the power had come back on. They took a sofa that had been held for them and left. I just checked the panel and it's okay. Whew!

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Shann wrote:Can someone please tell me how it got to be September already? Yesterday it was just 1983 and I was graduation gift from high school and now all the little ones are heading off to school again. Do you think if we didn't have school, time would slow down? :mrgreen:

Hmmm, I think in 1983 I was making mud pies and drawing on walls, but my memory is hazy.
I'm sure it is school that makes the summers seem so short! We had our first day of school yesterday and it felt good to be back into the routine. :)
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:43 pm

You really made me feel old Rachel, I was starting college in 83
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:47 am

I'm sorry, Shann!!! You'll never be old, friend. :D

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:42 pm

I'm home after my first overnight stay at the research center for the blood pressure study I'm in. They put a port in my arm for blood draws, and at first everything was fine, but then there were a couple problems in getting blood--about midday yesterday. Early this morning, at the midnight blood draw, the nurse finally took the port out, and used another vein in the same arm. I have good veins, but I'm sure they're good for only so long. My last blood draw was at 6:30 a.m. today. I go back again next Friday, and there are three more overnights before the study ends in mid-November.

They feed you pretty well there. Yesterday's breakfast nearly burst me. I'm used to eating a bowl of cereal and milk and drinking a cup of coffee, but they gave us oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins, a bagel with cream cheese, a fruit cup with cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and pineapple, cranberry juice, and a big cup of decaf. Then one guy gave me his bagel and cream cheese, another gave me his fruit cup and cranberry juice. I was still full when mid-day snack, Fig Newtons and milk, were served. Still full when lunch came. Lunch was a delicious warm sandwich of turkey (I think), strawberries, cranberry juice (I think my bladder will be just fine for a while!) :mrgreen: , salad with dressing, and an oatmeal cookie with walnuts and cranberries. I'm generally not a fan of oatmeal or oatmeal cookies, but this was pretty good. Dinner was chicken with mashed potatoes--my only complaint: the potatoes could have been smoother--a different salad with dressing, and a fruit cup of pineapple and red seedless grapes, plus water, and a vanilla cookie, plus cornbread. Midnight snack was celery and carrot strips with dip, and apple juice. I had breakfast at home.

They had a secure Wi-Fi connection, which I definitely made use of. The hospital style beds were comfortable. Though there was a shower available, I didn't use it because I was concerned about getting my port wet. They offered washcloths and towels, but I heard nothing about soap being available. I had packed lightly. Everyone was cool. I have to get a shower tonight, especially to get the tape residue off my arm. Next overnight will be at the end of September, when I'll have to miss church. Last night I missed our monthly Friday night meeting. As for work, I did some on Labor Day, when I was at church using their computer; did more work on Wednesday, after having had to wear an ambulatory blood pressure monitor for 30 hours and turning it in; and finished on Thursday, with plenty of time before I had to teach Bible study. WHEW!!!!

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby jaybird » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Rebecky wrote:
jaybird wrote:. No such record. Eagles live 20-50 years. I have no clue where I heard 200 years. :roll:

perhaps you're thinking of sea turtles?

You know you love us Pup!! :D

It could've been a sea turtle or a ninja eagle turtle. :lol:
Yup, we love ya, Pup!
I thought Shann was still 29. Well September does come after August. :wink:
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:27 am

But I'm back in April... 1983 :?
I decided to make a detailed to do list on my window and was wiping off previous list (though most could have stayed cuz I haven't done them) and the glass broke. Thank you God that I didn't slice my hand open. I don't know how I didn't even get cut. God is good.

I applied for my dream job. You know when someone asks you what you want to be when you grow up? For the last 25 years I've said librarian. I m not sure why no one suggested that to me while I was changing majors almost as often as I changed my clothes. I think it started as drama then pre-tax, psychology, x-ray tech, nursing, psychology again, nurse practices, midwife.

Then I even thought about going back to school for library science. I've applied for 2 library clerk jobs in the past. I even interviewed for one which happens to be at the same library that has the opening now. It's 18 hours a week, which I think I can handle, especially since I've been doing work at home jobs for 2 years now. Of course the freelance editing can be done at 4 am when I can't sleep. I don't think the library will let me come in in the middle of the night.

I want this soooo much. :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:38 am

The study sounds cool Deejay. You can shower with a PIC line (I'm assuming it is that rather than the mediport that goes in the clavicle area. (I ve had 3 of those because I have horrible veins and a PIC line isn't even a consideration. They have had to put IVs in my feel before. The port was wonderful. They each lasted between 2-3 years. Last time I had a nasty infection though that could have gone to my heart So they don't want to risk another port. I'm doing better about not needing the acyclovir as often. That stuff is wicked on the veins. I'm glad it's all working for you.

Becky, did you ever get well enough to go away with your friends? I'm sure a mini vacation would have been great for you. Have you started working at daycare again yet?

There is a newbie looking for a online writing support partner or group. Anyone interested? It doesn't appear to be challenge related. Speaking of that... I'm still waiting for my Purple real miniature horse/pony. Are you, Rachel and Toni, still working together? I haven't seen you on lately.

What about you Jay and Richard?
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:55 am

I am here... in case anyone missed me. Been having troubles with IE not letting me on the site. Strange it works fine on all my other online goofing off, just not here for some reason. Oh well.

Shann... I thought it was Re-Kiddo-Becky's friend that was sick, not her. Then too I have been gone a few days so I could be wrong. :roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:16 am

That study does sound pretty cool, deejay. You made me hungry describing all the food. :D I know a lot of people can't stand hospital food, but I think it is indescribably awesome for someone to prepare food for me and bring it to me on a platter.

I'm praying that you get the job, Shann!

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Shann, I'm totally interested in a writing support partner.

I've been deciding what to write and I've been working on my 3rd sci-fi. I also have the Christian violinist novel.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Well, Shann, actually they referred to it as a needle, even though there really isn't one; you can bend your elbow with it in, which is exactly where they put it.

Rachel, they served the food to us in paper bags, with a label with the name of the study, day of week, meal and city where the research center is on it. The food inside the bag was held in plastic lidded containers of various sizes/shapes, depending on the food, with bagels and cookies in little sleeve-type bags. Drinks--except for coffee and water--came in little plastic bottles. The water and coffee of course were drawn from a coffee maker or a pitcher and into a cup. We weren't allowed to take food out of the dining room and eat it.

One guy there apparently was a Hindu, though he wore American-style clothes. He had a problem with the food, especially meat dishes. I don't know what he did for the first two meals, but at dinner they did manage to come up with a Gardenburger for him.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler