To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

violin4jesus
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby violin4jesus » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:29 am

Yay for you, Rachel! I can't wait to hear about your experiences. (Obviously) it's one of my favorite subjects. :mrgreen: I think once I get settled in my new job, I can start looking into the doula thing. One of our travelers was talking to me about it; she runs a group of doulas who were mostly labor nurses. It wouldn't take me long to get the certification. I'd like to get the lactation training first, though. Usually it's a 2-day course for labor nurses.

I sat on the couch playing a mindless iPhone game tonight and came up with some new plots to add to my story collection. I've been so tired lately that I haven't had time to THINK and be creative. So that was nice. I just popped some granola bars in the oven, and I have to do the budget, but after that if I have time I'll start writing.

I'm going to try to hit more of the Challenges this time around, too. If I can place first, maybe next year I could be in the running for the prize. :D

Hope all y'all Americans had a nice 4th. I slept all day and then we went to dinner; then we drove around and ended up kind of double parking on a street overlooking Redondo Beach behind a bunch of other double parked cars, all of which kept their vehicles on so we could zoom out of there as soon as the fireworks show ended. It was simple and fun and non-stressful.

Back to work tonight...I think it must have slowed down because they haven't called me the last two nights after a week of constant calls. We almost ran out of rooms, and had several precipitous deliveries.

Have a good Sunday, everyone.

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:50 am

Leah, I'm taking an online lactation course right now for my DONA certification. I'm kind of double certifying right now. I originally took the Childbirth International Doula course because I could do it at home, but then there was a DONA (more widely recognized) workshop near here, so I took that too. Now I'm working towards getting my certifying births for both organizations.

It would probably take a while to build up clientele, but the women I know who are doing doula work "full-time" are taking on 4-6 clients per month. Average fee here is about $500 per birth.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about certifying with either DONA or CBI if you want to PM me.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 pm

I'd like to do the doula stuff too, but there isn't much in my area and I live in one of the poorest counties in the state. I was a breastfeeding coordinator before and loved doing that.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby jaybird » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Pup, are you hearing all this?
What does a breastfeeder coordinator do? :?: :shock:
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Jay, would you believe that I got groups of mothers and gets them to breastfeed in public, like a flash mob? :lol:
I worked for WIC and encouraged mom's to breastfeed and answered any questions they had. Some babies aren't naturals and it takes some time and patience to get them to nurse.

Keep Lyd in your prayers. She's working at a camp at UCLA and is having a hard time. She wants to come home desperately and they aren't giving her the time off like they are supposed to. Six people have quit already and it's only a couple of weeks in. She has been offered a job here in NY but they probably would stiff her on her pay plus the ticket exchange would be expensive.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:42 am

Does she just need a friend, or to get away for a day, Shann? I'm not far from UCLA; I could take her out to walk in the botanical gardens or see a movie or something. :(

I had my interview, and it went well, and that's all I'm going to say on a public forum. I'm not counting my chickens, but it would be nice to get off nights, and there's potential for a change.

Hung out with my best friend last night, and my writer friend tonight. It was super refreshing. Also got the kitchen mostly clean, so I feel like I can breathe a little. Ryan's play for the ministry group runs this weekend and next, though I won't be off work and able to see it until next Friday. There are two casts so he's only on three of the nights. It's a reader's theatre about Ruth Bell Graham and includes a lot of her poetry; they are doing it different by memorizing it and including movement and action. I've helped him with his lines; it will be good to see the whole thing on stage.

Saturday is the full moon night and will be my first night back since Monday. Hopefully we'll be better staffed than the last weekend I worked. It's been very busy and I've been very tired at work. Also it's been hot; we've had to turn on the AC during the day and the HOA just chopped a ton of branches off the maple tree in front of our balcony, so WAY more sun is coming in. They did it in July last year too (pruning should always be done in spring - it's bizarre) so we naively thought they weren't going to since the tree had far fewer leaves and branches this year. Ryan sent them an angry email because we basically just lost all of our shade and privacy in the height of summer. Grrr. I didn't want to ever move again but it really ruins the atmosphere of our place and drives away the wildlife because now the birdies have no place to perch. :cry:

Anyways, it's been a busy week even with days off; hope y'all are doing alright.

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:44 am

Oh Leah thank you so much. I will ask her. My guess is she'll say it would be weird going with a stranger, but maybe she will let me give you her phone number just in case. She had her day off yesterday so not sure when the next one is.

She sent me a text last night. I guess she bought some candy that had like a fortune cookie message in it and it said, You're exactly where you should be! How awesome is that!

You should get some bird feeders. Last winter, when it was neg 10 out, the birds would hover around my bedroom window draw to the ceiling light, and I love birds but have never had success with feeders because we have cats who could get to them, but when I switched the room around, the window is right by the bed and so Chris surprised me and hung a feeder right next to the window, I totally love it and it's one of the most romantic things he's done.

Now don't think that's a sad romantic gesture because he had listened how much I enjoyed the birds at his mom's house and he didn't just buy it like he did before but aCTUALLY MOUNTED IT FOR ME.

Yesterday, there were 9 goldfinches trying to get to the feeder. it was like watchng a symphony. It was amazing. I have one little dude I call Elvis because he has a black cap that looks like a pomadour and he is a bit aggressive in thinking he should have center stage. Another bird had been trying to get in but he wouldn't have it and kept chasing him all around the feeder. Finally the bird perched on the hook right above his head and I'm like cheering the bird on. "Poop on his head! poop on his head; you're in the perfect position and that;ll teach him!" I don't know if the bird couldn't hear me or just didn't have to go right then. :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:50 am

I thought last night was the full moon. Last month it was on Friday the 13 and there won't be another moon then until 2049 or something like that. It was beautiful last night and looked full (but my eyes are blurry enough that a crescent moon might look full). I was worried about Lyd and Phin wanted to walk (speaking of Phin that name was number 4 on the most common baby names so far this year. how cool is it that people are naming their boys after my dog? I think it might be spelled Finn though) but we were walking and the moon was out and wisps of lavender streaked the last bit of the sunset and the fireflies were lighting up all over. A cool breeze refreshed my soul and I gave my worries about Lyd to Jesus and shortly after, I received that text. it was so awesome.
Shann

Shann's Profile

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:18 am

We may have some amazingly beautiful nature things out here in the West, but someday I'd like to see fireflies. Even when I visited Michigan it's one thing I never saw. I should visit you just to see them. :mrgreen:

Yes, please feel free to give her my number, too. My free days are few and far between, but I can certainly make an effort to take her out for some fun.

We have a hummingbird feeder, and with the branches gone, the other hummers can see it better, so OT has his hands full chasing them off now (or rather, his wings). He tries to be lazy and just chirp at them, but if they persist in coming near HIS feeder, he'll chase them. But if they gang up on him, he can't keep them all away. It's hilarious to watch.

Here's his morning song:

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:21 am

Our tree does NOT look like that anymore, either. That was taken a day before they cut everything down.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:34 pm

jaybird wrote:Pup, are you hearing all this?
What does a breastfeeder coordinator do? :?: :shock:

I don't hear a thing. Then too I turn the sound off :wink: when ever they start in with, ummmm... stuff.. like that.

Shann wrote:there won't be another moon then until 2049

There won't? Mannnn and I like looking at the moon when I take my breaks, bummer deal. :(

Been a rough week for me, and with inventory last night... I am seriously thinking of quiting that job. next week I have to do all the freight work by myself, the guy I work with is off for a week of summer camp stuff. :roll:

I already told the new manager if we get a big load like we have the last few times I they don't help me on days with part of it. I am going to walk, I just can't handle it anymore. :(
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:10 pm

When I was back East, the fireflies were flying around in the summer; I loved watching them. Unfortunately, fireflies can't be introduced where they are not native. I once had a little book on insects that had a map showing where fireflies lived, and it showed nearly the whole U.S.. But there's none here in California; the smog and pollution must've killed them all, or the publisher was wrong.

Pup, 2049 is the next time a full moon occurs on a Friday the 13th. So don't worry.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:24 pm

There aren't any in Washington either (fireflies not moons) I think that must be extremely sad. I had told Amy I was going to send her some, so I'm glad to know that they wouldn't survive there. I feel bad enough when I walk at night and my sandals scoop the larvae and slugs and such under my feet then I smoosh them. It's gross it have bug guts as toe jam.

Thanks for the laugh Pup. I laughed so loud I had to explain it to my husband. Usually I just yell at him. :mrgreen:

I wish you could find a better job Pup. What were some of the things you did when you were on your mission trips? Anything that would be cool to do and get paid for it? Hugs
Shann

Shann's Profile

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby jaybird » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Wow, we're getting chatty of late so I'll add something worth wile. Thanks for your explanation, Shann about feeding babies, etc. So what's Phin short for? Phinegan?

I started an audio book from the library, a true story titled "Captive in Iran" by Marjam Rostampour and Marziyeh Amirzadeh. It's about two Iranian Christian women who get imprisoned. In Iran it isn't against the law being a Christian but only when you advertise Christianity (at least when this took place, mid 2000's). It's pretty good; an eye-opener.

Pup, I forget, did you get an email from me with my song attached?
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:09 pm

When I got the dog, Chris and Lyd were against it, but Lyd agree provided she could name it. (I needed them to be okay with taking care of him when I was in the hospital) She had been saying a Pomeranian should be named Pomegranate. I thought that was cute and I'd call him Pomeranian or Grant (I wasn't sure if I was going to get a female or male. I wanted a girl, but when we got there Phin was the only one left.) Then Lyd decided he looked like a Phineas like in Phineas and Ferb. I hated the name and he quickly became just Phin. Lyd was working at Camp Findley so sometimes I call him Findley call him Sir Phinagan too, but mainly just Phin.

Some of us are chatty, but I miss people who used to check in regularly. Becky has been quiet. I think Barb and Seema might check in but aren't chatty. I asked Seema if she would go give Lyd a hug for me. She recommended a great ice cream place. Ice Cream fixes homesickness, I hope. I haven't heard from Rachel or Toni lately.

I told her about your invite Leah, but she hasn't answered yet.

so is anyone entering the challenge? I have some ideas for day and night, but think it's too common. I have challenged my FIL to enter, so if you see another Lochmann Van Bennekom about, you can be pretty sure it's someone in my family. It bothered them at first that I kept my maiden name. Emily didn't want to be the only Hall so I kept it until Chris adopted her then I decided to hyphenate it. What's 4 more letters eh?
I have so much editing I should be doing but it's so hot and humid it hurts to move.
Shann

Shann's Profile

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler