To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby Shann » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:31 am

Ahh did you forget who you were talking to? I have no idea how to upload a picture. :mrgreen: I was basically trying a couple of original patterns. I like it because it makes the toe part thicker and it has a regular heel. I made a pair for Q. He said he'd probably never wear them, and I figured it, but I thought they turned out pretty good. I can't knit with needles because my hand shakes so, plus I can't keep count. I forget it immediately so I use looms or pegboard and love it. I made a small blanket for Amy, a hat and scarf for her sister, a headband or ear warmer for her mom and a hat for her dad. I also have made a couple of other hats, a bag and a pen bag to go with other bag which would be great for a Bible or even a beach bag.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:24 am

Well haven't you all been chatty?

Hi Rich. I'm Chrissy from Sydney Australia and most of these faithwriters I have met on my visits to the USA. The rest well, I feel I know them well enough to believe that they are goofy but nice. lol I pop in between caring for my Dad, spending time with hubby, kids and grandkids and finishing of renovating our home of 8 months. As for writing…this is as much as I do these days BUT let's see what happens after this stage of my life.

We'll be out to night at the Pastor's house for a meal with the Sunday 8.30am congregation. I hope we all fit inside because it's been a very wet first day of Autumn.

Later...

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby JesusPuppy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:22 am

You know Shortstuff that has been one of my argument points for years. The Bible talks about aliens but people think I am nuts for doing so. :roll:

rtodd5011 wrote:I did like to watch Lost in Space reruns as a youngster in the 70's and black and white horror movies.. I know, kinda weird huh?

No. Watching them as a kid is not weird at all. Weird would be going back and collecting all those old shows again now to watch over and over again on video files... Lost in Space, The Munsters, Addams Family, not to mention 50 years of Doctor Who. :wink:

And yes actually I have copies of all those. Hmmmm. maybe Sssssshann was right, I am strange.

Cool. :mrgreen:

OOOO and Sssssh-ann, I know just what you can do with that one sock. You know how you always loose a sock in the wash, well, take it to a laudromat and leave it with a note.. "Lost sock found." Then sit back a watch to see who claims it. :lol:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:29 am

:hide

*tiptoes into the Rest-Stop to see what's up*

Hi!

I'm back. Been awhile. My face was buried in textbooks, articles, and academic writing for about 6 months. Done now. I've decided to postpone the Master's for awhile and gain my sanity back. I'm so tired I can hardly do anything but sit back and recover for a week or two.

I miss all y'all, and writing for fun. I signed up for the Orange County Christian Writers' Conference in April (Deejay, Seema, Barb - wanna come?) and I'm hoping to start on my novel again and really finish it. And get back into the Challenge. And actually hang out here again.

And in general get my life back! It's ridiculous trying to keep up with my baby Kombuchas and making granola bars and dinners for us while working full-time and keeping up with my graduate classes. On a positive note, I got an A and an A- for the two classes, and only that second grade because I was too exhausted to write the last paper. :roll:

Anyways, I'll try to read back over the months I've lost, but yeah, I'm here now. Moving on.

Glad to be back. <3

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:54 am

Shann & Rachel,
I laughed out loud at your comments about Doctor Who. You just don't know what you're missing. :wink:

Welcome, Rich, and Hi, Toni! I've been out of FW for most of six months trying to fit graduate nursing classes into my full time night shift work schedule, and it just sucked all the time out of me. Well, that and the fact that I'm a perfectionist, so I was putting way too much time into my homework, which was stressing me out. Ryan pretty much told me he wanted me to stop for both of us. :lol:

I'm a labor & delivery nurse in the South Bay area of Los Angeles, with a husband who's pursuing a degree in nutrition and minor local acting roles on the side. Now that I have free time again, I'm going to pick up where I left off with my writing. Also I've been thinking about going down the doula route. I'd like to get certified in lactation, and maybe even certified in labor & delivery, and then open my own doula practice on an on-call basis for people looking for someone with a solid background in hospital birth. Around here I could make a decent extra income, and do what I love without dealing with all the hospital politics and hours upon hours of charting. :roll:

My best friend moved in with us in early January to get settled down in the Huntington Beach area. She's got a job, but no housing options have opened up quite yet, so she's been borrowing one of our cars for the 45-60 minute commute. :| Praying that something opens up soon, but it has been a blessing to have her here. She's cleaned and organized our apartment, and makes dinner on a regular basis along with some sweet baking experiments. And she and I went out on the town last night (Friday) which was really fun and relaxing after months of stress.

I'm kind of hoping Ryan has a break in his busy school schedule for us to get away, too, maybe just for one night away next weekend. I have been waiting to celebrate the end of my classes, and we may not be able to get to the mountains quite yet for a few days, but even just an overnight getaway will help me wind down and start building up for the next phase of my life. :)

I get wordy.

Night, all! Hope everyone is doing well.

rtodd5011
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby rtodd5011 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:00 pm

jaybird wrote:Yes, baseball :lol:
Ok, what does Rich play on the keyboard? I can't play an instrument, but wrote 2 and 1 unfinished songs. I know enough theory and my friend helps me.
Rich, are you on IM? PM me if you do.

Hey Jaybird, I sent you a pm. I really like any contemporary Christian worship music. I can read sheet music. I learned that in high school many moons ago...HA, but playing it is a different story. I did teach myself how to play chords.
God Bless,
Rtodd (Rich)

rtodd5011
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby rtodd5011 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:18 pm

RachelM wrote:Hi Rich!

I'm the crazy lady in Northern, B.C (Canada) with 6 kids. :)

We haven't had any cable or satellite TV for 12 years. I occasionally watch movies and we have Netflix now, but limited data. These nuts were praising Dr. Who so much that I gave it a try. I'm still a little disturbed by the experience, and that was several months ago. ;) I've never seen American Idol.

Shann, please upload a picture of the socks you made. I'm having trouble imagining this. :D

Good to meet you Rachel! wow 6 kids! I probably could live without TV but like my wife likes to watch so i watch it with her. We are supposed to be getting some type of gadget so we can watch Netflix on our TV. My wife was telling me about it. MY stepdaughter uses it on her iphone and it does use a lot of data. I had to laugh out loud that you are still trying to get over your experience with watching Dr. Who. We were supposed to go out of town today for a funeral but the wife decided against it. It was her aunt...There are a lot of mixed emotions there towards some family members, so i understood how tht goes. HOpe you all are having a great day! Rich
God Bless,
Rtodd (Rich)

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi Rich, I'm deejay, though it's okay to write it DeeJay or Deejay. I'm a janitor at my church, and yesterday when it rained we got to discover where all the building leaks were! :mrgreen: I have two poems on here in my siggy, I'm more of a prose person, though. I'm working on getting a copy of the Snowflake Method download so maybe I can get cracking on my proposed 7 volume speculative novels . Right now I'm organizing my stuff at home. I've been on here awhile and enjoyed many friendships. I've seen you on here, and from what you've posted, you seem to be someone who would make a great friend. You really fit in here.

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby jaybird » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:15 pm

deejay wrote: I'm working on getting a copy of the Snowflake Method download so maybe I can get cracking on my proposed 7 volume speculative novels . Right now I'm organizing my stuff at home. I've been on here awhile and enjoyed many friendships. I've seen you on here, and from what you've posted, you seem to be someone who would make a great friend. You really fit in here.

Ahh, yes, Snowflake Method! I feel saying that in a Chinese accent like saying "grasshopper" - the first person who knows what show quotes wins a bow :bow . I have heard about or read :book2 something about this method and thought to get it.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:52 pm

Leah! I was going to text you if you didn't show up soon!

Ya all have been chatty.

Yesterday was Barb' birthday and I feel soooo bad that I missed it. I thought today was the 28th How'd it get to be March already?
Happy Day after your Birthday day Barb! :birthday :birthday :party :party :shiney2 I hope you are feeling better. I love you!

I have so much work to do! Groan probably should get to it.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:10 pm

Leah, welcome back sis. Shann.. was worried about you not coming by. :wink: Too bad about the ckasses being cut short, maybe one of these days.

Well I am off for work, fighting a bug at the moment and should stay home, but you all know me, I am one that likes to share. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:23 pm

jaybird wrote:
deejay wrote: I'm working on getting a copy of the Snowflake Method download so maybe I can get cracking on my proposed 7 volume speculative novels . Right now I'm organizing my stuff at home. I've been on here awhile and enjoyed many friendships. I've seen you on here, and from what you've posted, you seem to be someone who would make a great friend. You really fit in here.

Ahh, yes, Snowflake Method! I feel saying that in a Chinese accent like saying "grasshopper" - the first person who knows what show quotes wins a bow :bow . I have heard about or read :book2 something about this method and thought to get it.

I wanna win a bow! Will it be purple it has to be purple! But I don't know what show quotes means. Is that what I need to figure out in order to win Bow? Or is it the snowflake method? Oh and is it that I win a bow like ribbon or a bow like bending over? I want the ribbon one and did I mention purple? Oh you could dress in purple and bow for me, but I'd rather have the ribbon.

Do you all know how I got my avatar? I was whining because I lost my pretty pink pesto bismal pencil because I was a bitty chatty back in the day. Many didn't like the pink pencil but I thought it was way better than the horrible school bus yellow (which started a huge argument about if it was yellow or orange. I settled the feud by calling it school bus ugly. It was a horrible fight people left FW all because of the color of the pencils) Barb knew how sad I was that they didn't have purple pencils and I'd be stuck forever with the school bus pencil (though Mom was a school bus driver so that helped some. Plus created a bond between me and BusBoss or has Becky nicknamed BusBoss (I think it was Becky but it might have been Tiara (I miss all of them btw) So anyhoo, Barb made me my very own purple pencil. Of course that was before I became a moderator, green is better than school bus ugly, but nowhere near purple perfect pencil. :tongue :sorry :clown :rolling :helpwobble :helpwobble :helpwobble

Hmm I totally forgot what I'm supposed to me doing.

Pup, whatever you do, DON'T go to the doctor. They might report you for beating up poor innocent little bugs. Was it a ladybug or a dude bug? If you used boxing gloves and say it was self defense or like a sport they might go easy on you, but I'm not so sure. I know dogfights are part of some cultures, but here in the US, it's a serious crime. I don't want you to go to jail. Oh we have to do something.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Did I scare anyone off?
Shann

Shann's Profile

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi all! Don't worry about being late for my birthday-it's no big deal! Now, next year, it will be a big deal as I will be turning 60 :shock: That just can't be right. I'm too young to be so old. :)

Welcome, Rich! I'm an old timer (not old) here who pops in once in a while. I live in Southern California, which has been rainy the last 3 days!

It's now 13 days post hip replacement and I'm doing okay. I'm enjoying being lazy and just sitting around reading and sleeping. I know I should get more active but this is just so nice right now. My church has been bringing in meals since the 19th, during the week. Still have 4 more days of this awesome service!

Not yet cleared to drive, and still on coumadin and those horrid TED hose.

My mom has been staying with me, though I really don't need her help now. She left for couple days earlier this week, but came back on my birthday. I'm not sure how long she plans to stay, but it's okay- I can keep my eye on her and not be worried that I can't keep watch over her when she's alone at her own home.
Barb Culler

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I've been reading but not posting a lot. After the kids and I got sick, then Frank, we've been playing catch up on everything. Frank's still fighting the cough that settled in his chest. He broke down and went to the doctor Thursday to get something to help. It was awful. Still not great, but getting there.

Got a small paid project that started up recently (not writing, more editing, but not really lol).

The weather has been INSANE. We're supposed to get bad weather today/tomorrow, but so far, not so bad.

Jolynn (our 3 yo for the new folks) actually took a nap today for the first time in ages. She was having a really rough day and passing it on to Josh (9) and Eileen (12). She and I may stay home from church tonight.

And newest thing - I broke down and added texting to our phone plan. Turns out I had a bad sim card, causing my phone to randomly drop signal and other problems. When I went to the local AT&T store to have it replaced (after the 3rd tech person finally suggested that, after sending a replacement phone, since it was still under warranty didn't fix the problem). The guy was like, "Did anybody mention we have a new unlimted talk/text plan that's only a penny more than you're paying now?"
"Nope. Nobody had."
It also has limited internet access, up to 300 mb a month. Don't expect to use nearly that much, as Frank can't do that kind of stuff at work without getting in trouble (really not even supposed to make phone calls, but they can if they are slow), and I'm home most of the time with the kids/working. But, it'll be nice to have, especially for those times I get directions mixed up - I can access the directions/GPS lol.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler