To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby jaybird » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:45 pm

From one pumpkin to another!!!!!!!

A woman was asked by a coworker, "What is it like to be a Christian?"

The coworker replied, "It is like being a pumpkin." God picks you from the patch, brings you in, and washes all the dirt off of you. Then He cuts off the top and scoops out all the yucky stuff.

He removes the seeds of doubt, hate, and greed. Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside of you to shine for all the world to see."

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby JesusPuppy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:38 am

RachelM wrote:...and started hanging out with these nuts. :D

Hey now... I resemble that accusation. I mean.. umm.. :heehee

Another night has passed away and I am ready for some videos and nap time.

And Bubbles.. don't think you are too safe, her and Kiddo been threatening to come out here and get me, (for some strange reason :roll: ) and if they do, I am gonna come down there and see you.

Love ya Shann. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Howdy Peeps!

First off....Jaybird, would you be soooooo kind as to send me your bio again....I have it backed up to a disc..."somewhere".....which I did when I got me my new laptop. :roll: In fact, mes tried finding it a few weeks ago with no success. :( Mes sorry. BTW...loved the pumpkin analogy of our rotten innards. :lol: Soooo true!

And Pupperoni.....I'm already shaking in me flip-flops (don't do boots- :lol: ) You and Shannikins on one to one would be a trifle bit...um...um....challenging, but together....OH MY GOSH! We're talking "Dr. WHO" crazy!!! Oh yeah, I forgot to tell ya...get it now and my roommate is like super and TOTALLY addicted. I watch bits and pieces and must admit....what a clever writer who created this guy.

BTW Beakers....I thought I may have seen you in that cosmic reality thingy while watching a tidbit of Dr. Who. :mrgreen:

OK....outta her and off to work....Adios / Chow and sees y'all later.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Sorry I haven't been around. Busy going to my grandparents and i am doing NaNo and failing miserably.

I joined my church yesterday.

Other than all that- been okay since last time i came around.
Dum Spiro Spero

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:58 am

Hey Rebecky, I'm doing NaNoWriMo too. I have some catching up to do in the word count and I feel like I'm plowing through right now. I don't really know the characters yet, so I'm finding it hard to write authentically, but I keep thinking about the advice I heard about writing the first draft, "Go ahead and write crappy!" I'm trying to keep my internal editor at bay right now and just get those words down on the screen. Have you joined the challenge before? Is anyone else here doing NaNo? This is my first year.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:54 am

RachelM wrote:Hey Rebecky, I'm doing NaNoWriMo too. I have some catching up to do in the word count and I feel like I'm plowing through right now. I don't really know the characters yet, so I'm finding it hard to write authentically, but I keep thinking about the advice I heard about writing the first draft, "Go ahead and write crappy!" I'm trying to keep my internal editor at bay right now and just get those words down on the screen. Have you joined the challenge before? Is anyone else here doing NaNo? This is my first year.

Hello there fellow NaNoer. :)

Yes this is my fifth or so year doing NaNo. I've never actually won before. :/

I'll never forget the year my computer died and I lost my novel. That was the closest I ever got to winning and then I lost it.
Dum Spiro Spero

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Ouch! How sad that you lost your novel! I bet this will be the year that you win. :)

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm

ReKiddoBecky wrote:and then I lost it.

You lost it waaaaaay before then. :tongue

Yeah Rachel, there are a few in here that do the NaNo thingy, I have yet to even try to think about doing it myself, but others have. Little Bird (Amy), Leah, Chrissy has I think... and I can't remember if Jay did it last year. And yes, as I heard it, all you need is to have it written, not edited. SO get to it.

Meself.. it would take me a month just to think up an idea, another to decide how to start it right, and that is two months after I decided I wanted to write it down in the first place. I am such a procrastinator lately. :roll:

Doctor Who note... Did you know they were going to switch to another :shock: actor as the Doctor coming up this Christmas???
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:57 pm

RachelM wrote:Ouch! How sad that you lost your novel! I bet this will be the year that you win. :)

Hmm well considering I'm having a horrible time with it, I don't think so. :(
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 am

Oh it's nice to see the board being busy! It's been so long since I've had to read a few pages to catch up. How wonderful! I'm doing my Happy Dance! I loved your spider web picture. Spiders are my friends I even talk to them.

Hey what made you all think Rachel was talking about me? I mean really everyone matches their undies to their clothes! It could be a hundred million people! TAH! Did I tell you that once I woke Chris up in the middle of the night to remake the bed because the sheets were wrinkled and I couldn't sleep on them? (Hmm I wonder if that's why he sleeps on the couch.)

Jay I love the pumpkin story. It's awesome. Glad to hear you've made progress with your story too.

Becky, I didn't know you were doing NaNo again. I think it's awesome. Don't get discouraged too early on. You never know what inspiration might hit you at the last minute. Keep plugging away. It's never really been my thing.

Rachel I'm so happy to see you back. Man that person you were illustrating for sounds like something else (other than she has matching undies--that's way cool) Boy I bet you've been totally stressed out working with such a tyrant! :mrgreen:

Hey Pup I think you should try writing for NaNO. Hey wasn't there supposed to be a story or a poem or something that you were going to let me read?

Oh and Rachel, AnneRenee is really Holly but Pup calls her Bubbles after Michael Jackson's monkey. They used to have wacky nicknames for everyone (except me!) but they kind of stopped doing that. So what kind of story is your NaNo? Another YA? I'm eager to finish reading the rest of the one.

Allison hasn't been around. I meant to post a congrats for ranking in the top 20 of the last challenge, but I've been in some pretty severe pain. It gets so bad at times, that I have to scream. I have so much stuff to do. I want to paint the bathroom so Chris can finish the flooring and put the sink back in. We haven't had a BR sink since August. I also want to reclaim the master bedroom before Lyd gets home. M's room was in the basement but it flooded down there so about 10 years ago or so we moved the girls into our room, Q into Lyd's and me into the other room. But I've been saving for a new bed. I really want a Select Comfort one because I hope it will help with the pain, plus I'm hoping Chris will sleep in the same bed with me again if I get one that he can adjust and one I can adjust. I like it super super soft but he needs it fairly firm because of his back. I've been promised for years that the bathroom will get done and I'll be able to get my bedroom back, but don't know if it will happen.

I did get another editing assignment again today. I was getting worried because it had been a while since I heard from her. They are looking for more people who can do formatting, layout, cover design and editing. If anyone is interested let me know. Oh they also want people to do marketing too. It doesn't pay a lot of money, but every bit helps.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Allison

Postby Allison » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:14 am

*waves* I'm still here. Just been crazy busy with the Christmas musical at my church.... THis is what my week looks like from now until, oh... Dec. 15th or so, with a few exceptions.

Monday: Work, then immediately to church for musical practice. Leave house: 7:15 AM. Return: 9:15 PM
Tuesday: Work, then immediately to church for musical practice. Leave house: 7:15 AM. Return: 8:30 PM
Wednesday: Work, then home for a "normal" night, but I'm usually working on my challenge entry.
Thursday: Work, home for a normal night. The one night where I don't have anything planned on a regular basis.
Friday: Work, then out to eat with my brother. Start of the weekend!! :superhappy
Saturday: Musical practice, 9 AM to Noon. Perhaps helping with the Christmas lights display at church (separate from the musical) or set building for the musical after
Sunday: Church, and I have to be there early for choir.

Then in December, I have practices on Dec. 2, 3, 7-10, then performances Dec. 11-15, with two on Sunday the 15th.

So... yeah. it's getting a bit crazy.

I'd love some prayers for the musical. We're five weeks out, and it's at that point where we're all wondering how it will come together and freaking out just a bit. Also, we're playing with fire, so to speak, just a bit. We have no understudies. :shock: We'd especially love prayers for health and safety for the main actors/actresses. (No, I do not have a main part)

So all that to say I'm not ignoring you. I'm just a bit busy these days, so I only respond when I have time and there's something specific I have to say. :lol:
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:41 am

Yay, Shann! Glad to see you here. :D

Shann wrote:Rachel I'm so happy to see you back. Man that person you were illustrating for sounds like something else (other than she has matching undies--that's way cool) Boy I bet you've been totally stressed out working with such a tyrant!

Hey, watch what your saying. I love that tyrant! :tongue

Shann wrote:So what kind of story is your NaNo? Another YA?

No, I decided on a novel about a woman who loses her husband and sons in a boating accident and decides to foster drug dependant babies. She develops a very close relationship with Sophie--a little girl that's been in her care for 5 years, when her birth mother decides that she wants Sophie back. Lilian must trust Sophie to God as she experiences another great loss.
I'm finding out that 1667 words is a lot of words to write each day! (duh!) I don't know if I'm going to make it, but I'm going to give it a good effort anyway.

Allison, what a crazy stretch you have ahead. I'm praying that God will give you strength and for health for all those involved.

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:33 am

Wow Allison that sounds crazy but a good crazy. My kids used to work on the plays in school Q did lights and Lyd was in chorus (couldn't get M interested) and they used to get crazy busy plus they had swim practice on top of everything else. They'd leave the house at 6 am and I wouldn't see them until 11. (But it was only for a couple of weeks that it was that intense)

I loved acting but can't carry a tune to save my life. I originally was a drama major and even auditioned for a school in NYC, but didn't get called back cuz I had to sing. I warned them that I couldn't sing, hoping I'd get in on my drama skills (bet no one would guess I could be dramatic?) :roll:

Is this all through your church? I can't imagine such a huge production in a church, but then when one lives in a little podunk town in the middle of nowhere it's hard to picture what them city folks do...but I know how to milk a cow! Let's see the city folk do that! I will be praying. I had meant to tease you and suggest you had gone into hiding cuz your team lost the Series, but being a Cubs fan I know how it feels when your team loses so...nah I just got distracted and didn't say anything! :tongue

Rachel your book sounds exciting. I could probably write 1700 words a day if I put my mind to it because I don't have much of a life, but writing a novel has never intrigued me much. Of course, I could work on my Wrigley story...I was going to try to post the Wrigley picture that you drew, but couldn't figure it out.

I have mentioned that computers hate me right? Plus I didn't try super hard because the pics are your property and wasn't sure if you;d want me to put one on here. I am trying to figure out how to do the layout. Once Amy shows me how to get rid of headers and footers I don't think it'll be a problem, but right now it cuts off part of the picture because of the margin on the left side. I fiddled with it, but am not terribly patient when it comes to computer stuff.

So Becky what's your story about? I'm going to have to nag Amy to pop in more often. I did talk to Patty and she said she might come back. Now if Holly keeps coming back it would be cool. It's really sad that Rachel was gone like 2 months and only had to read 10 pages to catch up. Not too long ago she would have had to read 100 pages to catch up the two months. I really miss Kara too and can't contact her because she couldn't txt anymore. Doesn't she usually come to the states around this time. Ivy and Tiara have been gone forever too :( Even Shelley who may not have posted much but lurked in background with Seema and Barb hasn't been around. Ahhh why do people have to go and get busy with their real lives :( Oh welll it was wonderful while it lasted. :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:30 am

Good morning, family!

I'm sitting with my Grandpa today. My Aunt and Grandmother are going to Bellefonte today to meet my/her cousin. He's my great Aunt's child. Anyway I guess they want to meet about his mom who was just put into an assisted living facility.

So i'm sitting here- after making breakfast for grandpa and putting dishes in the dishwasher and sorting and filing the mail and and and my hands smell like dirty sponges... AH. I neeeeeeeed hand sanitizer...

*runs away*

*pitter patters back with runny sanitizing goodness all over her hands*

:mrgreen:

That's better. I have all these tiny bottles of hand sanitizer from Bath & Body works and I just got a little key chain that holds it and it's an elephant with a heart shaped balloon that lights up.

Ahh. Anyway- I digress.

Oh, so my story. well... that is a good question. Originally I had this great one but it just wasn't working for me. So now I have another story I'm kinda playing with about a teen couple who fall in love and the girl ends up being diagnosed with an illness- not sure what yet, cancer or something. Because my idea was to actually show them "grow" up together into their adult life and I was going to have her get better but eventually get sick again. The thing is I feel like this story has been done before- it's safe. Cliche. Old.

But my original story- that on the other hand I feel probably is more original and less safe. That one was going to be a humor/comedy type novel about a young woman who becomes a successful Author with her first book- which is based off of her life and her crazy nutty family. The thing is, she uses a Pseudonym and tells no one what she's accomplished because her book- despite names being changed- would be glaringly obvious to her friends and family that her family is who she's written about and could potentially make them angry with her. So she has to go through life for a little while listening to her friends and other people and even news talking about her book and how hilarious and great it is... Until- one day, it gets out and the whole world finds out who she really is.

*cue dramatic music*

DUN DUN DUUUuuuuun.

:lol:

Anyway- so there you go.

I must now go walk my grandmother's dog.
Dum Spiro Spero

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:14 pm

OH MY GOODNESS....me's has so much comment on but here's the kicker....don't know if I can remember it all without going back and reading EACH post again and then I wouldn't get this post done and be off to work like mes suppose to.

Here goes....Jaybird....I forgot to tell you about the "ewok-walking". I came up with that when I took a good look at how my roommate and I walk around the house when it gets cold and good 'ole Arthur attacks us. (Arthritis for those of you who haven't met him yet). Anyway, outside of the pain an grunts...I have to admit we look pretty gol darn funny doing the ewok-walk from side to side. Oh wait, or was that cousin "IT?" No matter, ewoks are cute!

AND Beakers....mes don't think I've EVER,EVER seen you so chatty. Does me heart good! And I love ewes sense of humor....I mean, I know the sarcastic-snitty side of you....but you actually made me LOL about the dirty sponge and your stash of hand sanitizers. I could really and truly see you in that kitchen with dripping "disinfected" hands, going for the computer after you fixed grandpa some breakfast. God Love Ya!

And Shortstuff.....Hi Ya! Have thought about you while helping a lady who just had the hip replacement thingy and hoping she does as good as you did. As for the busy weeks...I totally get it and admire all of ewes who can keep up with 'em...As for me, when it gets hecka crazy around here, all I look forward to at the end of the day is super, getting into me jammies and laying on the couch to catch up on recorded shows and even then, I'm doing good if I finish one without totally crashing into la-la land.

As for the NaNo thingy....don't get discouraged peeps...I have never attempted it, but get excited right along with those of you who do try. Like for real!

AND last but certainly NOT LEAST....my Shannikins....I was wondering how long it would take for you to return. Your detailed posts....neva - eva leave me without a smile. I too, want one of those beds. I had he same problem with my ex...he needed really firm and I need super soft. That's probably why I fall asleep so fast on my couch and am W I D E awake when I git on into bed. :shock: It bites! However, the could doesn't give me enough room to thrash me legs around, so that's why I can't sleep on it all night.

K....gittin late, gotta go....farewell and ado for now guys.

Oooops, oh yeah Pup....glad about the new duktor who around Christmas time....I saw the one before this current guy and liked him, but not so much with this guy.

Beakers...does moving thingys still bug you? I think about it every time I go post pics. I hope not....this one seems mellow tho.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler