To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

jostrick
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby jostrick » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:34 pm

JoyAnn wrote:Yeah I think I might change the jam making from winter to fall and then have the candle making as a winter thing. But I don't know what to do for spring. I don't want them planting anything or doing anything that has to do with a green thump and garden because the mother is a florist and she is always plating and caring for flowers and the kids often get involved so I want these special days to be something different, I was also wanting it to be something outside considering the jam and candle making are inside things.

I live in Washington now so the growing season is different from my days in missouri, but I am still picking blackberries from my siblings bushes even though most shops/roadstands have ended the blackberry season. Pears are really in right now, as well as apples. Picking berries is a unique experience with lots of outdoor adventure...bees, scrapes, ladders falling, branches grasping...if your setting is Missouri, I recall picking wild grapes for jam when I was a kid...and there are some nasty 4 inch thornes in Missouri woods (as my poor foot still bears the scar--it pierced through thick tennis shoes and broke off deep within...took 3 months to get it out! No exaggeration.) Sorry, hope no squemishness (sp?) Planning a trip soon down the Columbia gorge to apple orchards. One thing I did while in Missouri (idea for spring) was bike the Katy trail with friends...course for any season, I loved the antique shopping and little shops for coffee/tea/soup/sandwiches...wish we had more of those out here. So that's it, my two cents...now I really miss Missouri... :-)
Joanna Stricker

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby JesusPuppy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Now now, Bomber.. you know that "Kansas" covers Oklahoma, Nebraska and parts of both the Dakotas. I even saw it on a map once. :wink:

And Shann.. I aint afraid of no LOOK. Having met miss Allison in person I can honestly say her "Heart" is twice as tall as she is, and I love her greatly for it.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:22 am

jostrick wrote:
JoyAnn wrote:Yeah I think I might change the jam making from winter to fall and then have the candle making as a winter thing. But I don't know what to do for spring. I don't want them planting anything or doing anything that has to do with a green thump and garden because the mother is a florist and she is always plating and caring for flowers and the kids often get involved so I want these special days to be something different, I was also wanting it to be something outside considering the jam and candle making are inside things.

I live in Washington now so the growing season is different from my days in missouri, but I am still picking blackberries from my siblings bushes even though most shops/roadstands have ended the blackberry season. Pears are really in right now, as well as apples. Picking berries is a unique experience with lots of outdoor adventure...bees, scrapes, ladders falling, branches grasping...if your setting is Missouri, I recall picking wild grapes for jam when I was a kid...and there are some nasty 4 inch thornes in Missouri woods (as my poor foot still bears the scar--it pierced through thick tennis shoes and broke off deep within...took 3 months to get it out! No exaggeration.) Sorry, hope no squemishness (sp?) Planning a trip soon down the Columbia gorge to apple orchards. One thing I did while in Missouri (idea for spring) was bike the Katy trail with friends...course for any season, I loved the antique shopping and little shops for coffee/tea/soup/sandwiches...wish we had more of those out here. So that's it, my two cents...now I really miss Missouri... :-)

It is set in California. Because according to one of my research book it is the state with the highest sales in flowers and the mother is a florist so it was important to me that it was a place with high numbers in the florist business. Also I have had a previous book set there so I had already looked into the area and what it was like. My brother is in Springfield Missouri attending Central Bible College though so that is cool that you're originally from there and now live in Washington like me.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

Terrorizer41192@hotmail.com
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Shopping, maybe? Here in California, the big emphasis is either gardening or shopping in spring. Maybe the MC's mom takes her on a trip to purchase a new flower variety that just became available; during the drive--a longish one--they could talk. When they get to the place where this flower variety is sold, it turns out to be a special event the mom had been planning all along--a tea party, perhaps. The MC not only enjoys the pleasant surprise, but learns something about her mom she never knew before--perhaps there's some connection between the mom and the flower?

I posted this in the Prayer Request thread, under Traveling Mercies, but over the last weekend I was at the Foursquare Southwestern District Women's Conference. In a couple of weeks, the audio of the sessions will be available, as will the photos taken--I'm likely to be in a few shots. So to access these sessions--they're free--go to www.foursquare.org, and look for "Women in Ministry", "Unlocking the Gifts in You", and "The Fierceness of Your Feet". Or check out www.essentialconference.com . You're going to love them, especially the last one, which helped me alot.

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:24 am

deejay wrote:Shopping, maybe? Here in California, the big emphasis is either gardening or shopping in spring. Maybe the MC's mom takes her on a trip to purchase a new flower variety that just became available; during the drive--a longish one--they could talk. When they get to the place where this flower variety is sold, it turns out to be a special event the mom had been planning all along--a tea party, perhaps. The MC not only enjoys the pleasant surprise, but learns something about her mom she never knew before--perhaps there's some connection between the mom and the flower?

That is definitely something to think about.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

tonguethaid

Postby tonguethaid » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:33 am

Shann wrote:Pup harbors aliens in his basement. I'm a secret alien myself, Kara got hooked on Dr Who because Pup suggested it to her so they have conversations that many can't follow.

The individualist in me squirmed a bit at this. I actually had been watching Doctor Who before, I just found out that Pup also was a huge fan and it was nice to talk about it with someone. (and the individualist in me wouldn't let that go...how silly)
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:03 am

I passed the national interpreter certification! :superhappy Thanks for your support and prayers! Funny timing hearing the results today because I'm having some trouble with one of the classes I'm interpreting right now. Would love prayer for that.

Part of being certified now is a tad scary because now I'll have to be going to workshops all the time to keep up my continuing education credits. Of course I love to keep learning but the weekend long workshops are very expensive and take a lot out of my physically, taking a long time to recover from.

But positives are that I'll get a pay raise at the college and will be qualified to do more types of interpreting work now. I'd like to start interpreting for counselling sessions and volunteer at a Christian crisis pregnancy center. I might do some medical interpreting, too.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

srashmi

Postby srashmi » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:10 am

Congrats Amy :!: :party :music2 :thumbs :bow :rockon :clap

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:45 am

YAY for AMY!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :party :party :party :rockon :rockon :rockon :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy
Barb Culler

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 am

I briefly got to meet up with Leah and her hubby last night at the fair.

It was a working trip for me. Due to certain circumstances, I had to take one of my clients to the fair, along with one staff. I was already tired when I got there about 4:30 pm after working since about 7:45 am. My hips and legs were complaining and I was just about done in, so did not last much longer. Pushing his wheelchair helped me to walk a little longer!

Sorry Leah. :( I promise we will do something together another time- let me know what's available. October is mostly booked for week-ends now, but may be able to get week-day off.
Barb Culler

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:34 pm

tonguethaid wrote:
Shann wrote:Pup harbors aliens in his basement. I'm a secret alien myself, Kara got hooked on Dr Who because Pup suggested it to her so they have conversations that many can't follow.

The individualist in me squirmed a bit at this. I actually had been watching Doctor Who before, I just found out that Pup also was a huge fan and it was nice to talk about it with someone. (and the individualist in me wouldn't let that go...how silly)

I am so sorry, I never meant to suggest you weren't an individualist. I had thought you were asking about good shows to watch and Pup suggested Dr. Who so I apologize and come to you on bended knee and ask for your forgiveness :sorry :oops: :sorry :loveyou
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:42 pm

I add my kudos to the mix for Amy but I knew she was going to pass way back when she took the test! I do wonder if your employer might not pay for the training weekends, I know a lot of places do that. If not maybe if you volunteer at one of the places you mentioned, then maybe they would be willing to help cover the costs. But I am doing a Happy Dance!

Hey Barb, so cool you got to see Leah even if just for a bit. Isn't Tim in your neck of the woods too (though from what I understand So Ca has a very long neck so it may not be feasible) but maybe ya all could get together. Sorry to hear about tour pain. Wishing I were there to make it all better though not sure what I could do, you've probably outgrown the let mommy kiss it stage huh? Plus kissing your hips and legs doesn't quite sound right so instead I'll pray cuz I can do that here or there why I can pray everywhere! (((HUGS)))

Howdy to all of you missing links out there and come back in and see us soon!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Okay, so I need the mind of a writer. I am still trying to plot out the series that I am going to be working on in this NaNo and the next few years, because it is a four book series that all run on each other I have to plan it all out as a whole so that I know that is going on in each book when I break it down to plan the books. In the first book the eldest daughter the MC in the first book sees a mystery man at the funeral for her mother. She becomes obsessed with find out with who this man is and it causes troubles in her marriage. When she finds out who he is there is resolution with her husband and she lets this man go. However, I am not sure which idea I have I should go with, I have four options all with their own set of issues and problems and would bring a different resolution for not only the MC but her marriage and even other people. I also want to kind of surprise the readers and the MC at the end when they find out who he is, and I don't want to be cliched or predictable.

Option one: the man is her father, who left her mother when she got pregnant at 17 with Autumn (MC) Autumn has always wanted to meet her father, and has felt very bitter and angry that her father had never wanted her and had never had the chance to meet him.

Option two: the man is her Grandfather, whom he and his wife had kicked their 17 year old daughter when she was pregnant with Autumn and had never spoken to since. And he has regretted it for years.

Option three: the man is guy that had once known Alani her mother in high school and loved her, but never got a his chance and hadn't seen her since graduating. (And I was thinking that their would be a story about something nice that she had done for him, because was picked on in high school)

Option four: the man is a reporter covering the story in the paper and was trying to get with her so much so that he almost always showing up and meddling in her life.

I am leaning more toward one and two, but I think that the firs is cliche and predictable, because a theme that will be running through is her anger and her dad not being there and her jealous that her sister Winter's father has come back and she won't so much as let the man say two words to her. So I think that it being her grandfather might be a little more surprising. Though I think option that has the biggest healing and resolution for the character is it being her father.

And I had planned to have each book be written solely in the MC's POV but now I am wondering if I will be able to do that--I have never written anything this long in one person's POV before--and if there might be more benefits from showing the other sister's mindsets throughout the first year after their mothers passing. rather than the few months that is spent on each in their own books.

Which option do you think is best for the character or the least expected?
Just the MC's person's POV or show all four sister in all four books?
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

TiaraJoy's Profile

b24bomb

Postby b24bomb » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:Now now, Bomber.. you know that "Kansas" covers Oklahoma, Nebraska and parts of both the Dakotas. I even saw it on a map once. :wink:

It sure did...back in the day. :roll:

Lots and lots and lots and LOTS of days ago.....

JoyAnn wrote: Which option do you think is best for the character or the least expected?
Just the MC's person's POV or show all four sister in all four books?

Ok, here's what I think: Option 4 (the reporter) would have to be really planned out to give the reoporter motivation for pursuing her. Is he going to stalk her? Why? Does she know something (or he thinks she does) that could further his career? Or is he just sick in the head?

Option 3 is a nice thought, but again, what is the motivation for continuing the relationship past the funeral? And where would he fit in after it was all said and done.

You're right that Option 1is cliché, but clichés are clichés for a reason - they worked at one point. You could work the resentment piece because that means conflict, and it's resolving conflict that moves the story forward. It just means stretching your imagination a bit.

However, I like Option 2 with the grandfather myself. BUT here's a thought - why not make him her father's father instead of her mother's father? It could open up that door so that you could still work that piece in about her father and the resentment, but this grandfather would be the reason. Perhaps her father is too ashamed...or what if he's dead and her grandfather just found out about her? Or something like that. That could change her perspective on him a bit, right?

But it's your story and those are just my opinions. :wink: I couldn't help answering because it's been a long time since I've written anything and I feel excited just thinking about it now.

JoyAnn wrote:And I had planned to have each book be written solely in the MC's POV but now I am wondering if I will be able to do that--I have never written anything this long in one person's POV before--and if there might be more benefits from showing the other sister's mindsets throughout the first year after their mothers passing. rather than the few months that is spent on each in their own books.

And I think you can do it from each MC's POV. It would go a long way to making sure it was each her story and make it easler to keep in her head as you write it. And all four sisters will still be in the stories that way because they all impact each other's lives one way or another, right? And personally, I love first-person POV's.

Lauren Bombardier

I always thought I was strange until I discovered FW. Now I know its just cause I'm a writer. ~ Julie Ruspoli

"Why do books have to have so many pictures? It's annoying!" ~ Sierra, age 9

srashmi

Postby srashmi » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Happy birthday, Lauren :!:

:birthday :party :music2 :grouphug2 :grouphug :grouphug3

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler