To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BusBoss
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby BusBoss » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:43 pm

So since it's been like a year or something since I popped in here, I am not even going to try to catch up on all the old threads ... instead I will just say Hi.

"Hi"

:roll:

As seems to be usual for me, so many things are happening, changing and being just entirely too hectic and stressful. But I will do my best to pop in at least every three months or so to ... well, maybe ... Why do I come here again? :shock: :lol:
My blog Da Bus Stop

I don't care whether the glass is half full or half empty. I want to know what's in the glass!

One of these days I will stop biting the bullet ... I will put it back in my gun and shoot

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Hey Tim, did you see that the conference will be in our neck of the woods next year? Would be cool to meet you in person! Sorry things are still crazy for you. Thanks for dropping by.

Speaking of dropping by, where is everyone else?
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

tonguethaid

Postby tonguethaid » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:03 am

Busy busy!

Have you heard anything about Laura? Praying for her.

Good to see ya buttbott!

There doesnt seem to be enough hours in a day. Sigh. I am trying to figure how to juggle everything. Most families who live here hire house helpers to clean house and cook etc. I have never had the budget to do that, but its becoming more tempting! I will just have to find a way to make it all work.

Are you feeling any better Amy?
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:56 am

Sparrow wrote:Tiara? What was that? Did you get the fixed NaNo cover I made you and the banner? I can't decide whether to put my Voices of the Dark banner back up since that's the book I'm working on, but now that I have a publisher interested it seems weird to advertise it with a cover that won't be the actual cover.

Haha I did, and I hear you it would be weird I wouldn't, just because I knew that it would be the final cover. And...this is what it was...

So, first there was a road, was a brick road painted yellow looks the same but not as new
Skipping over chalk when we walk to find a way to keep themselves away from you
All the girls and the boys find a way here to play but the games all turn out to be tragedies
Looking for directions, keeping my intentions, knowing you're ok but not with me

Driving in your car going far feeling wind in my hair it's a mess but you just don't care
Testing for a vibe when you try to create some magic in this stale air
Meetings, feelings, greeting, every person who has felt that way
Searching for your place, for a name, in the waste of the city, lighting up this place

Ya ya ya ya ya
Everything's as usual
I'm where I've never been
I'm where I've never been

I had this song stuck in my head when I post this, if we had been in person it would have been a lot cooler because some would have been like what and then I would have busted out the song...
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

Terrorizer41192@hotmail.com
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:09 am

I'm here; just tired. All my deliveries lately have been C-sections, which is frustrating to me. Of course, one of them was an 11-pound baby, so that was for good reason, but the rest, well, just irritating. It's way more work and exhausting, plus I've been trying to keep on top of the budget and cooking and just, well, life. I hear you Kara. And I don't even have a kid on top of everything!

I missed the get-together with my friends today because they had it at 1pm and I couldn't even think about getting out of bed at that time. I just set my alarm and rolled over for a few more hours, but by the time I had gotten up and taken a shower, they were already ending the time and Ryan just came home. We tried a different restaurant tonight which ended up being pretty good, but I sure would have liked the fellowship. I haven't made it to church in weeks due partly to my schedule and partly to just not sleeping enough to get out of bed in time. Podcasts are okay but fellowship is ideal.

Might come up with something for the Challenge. I only have tonight. Work two more nights this week. :roll:

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:56 am

Sounds like you have been getting a lot of women who want a C-section so they don't have to do anything on their part to get the baby out and leave all the work to the medical staff.

My friend's sister had C-sections with both her sons but they were both over 10 pounds.
Dum Spiro Spero

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:21 am

Actually none of them wanted C-sections and I had to explain it to them as to why it had to happen. Most of them qualify for a VBAC if they want it and can find a doctor who will agree to let them try, because of the reason for the C-sections - for almost all of them either they didn't dilate despite being induced, or the baby would not tolerate the labor and the strip looked crappy. I would have tried longer last night but the doctor didn't feel comfortable watching the baby's reaction to labor, so off we went.

I do know there are plenty of women who don't want to do labor, but all of these patients had epidurals so they had zero pain and nothing to complain about. Except the mom of the 11-pounder. We suspected the baby was big, but had no idea how big. We had turned off the epidural so she could push more effectively, but after I had pushed with her for half hour I told her that if this was her second baby it should be at least budging but the head wasn't moving AT ALL. She was glad I was honest with her because she said she would have pushed for a couple hours because she didn't want a C-section.

C-sections are "easier" deliveries as far as not having to wait in labor and not having the pain of delivery, but the recovery is from major surgery and is a real drag. Especially if a woman has been an induction for over 24 hours and hasn't eaten anything - then they have to wait at least another 12 hours before they can even eat. The pain is ten times worse recovering from an incision vs. bottom pain (unless they have a major tear in the bottom, of course). So yeah, good reasons to not have a C-section.

Reasons to do it: alive and healthy baby. I've had a patient in the past who refused a C-section until it was too late. Sad day, and I still wish I knew then what I know now; maybe could have changed the outcome. But it gives me perspective when watching those strips; I have a healthy respect for the value of a C-section when it is necessary. Believe me, I push hard against doctors who just want to cut because of convenience for them.

When I have a baby, I will be okay if the baby delivers at home accidentally, but I won't be planning it. I'm okay with being 10 steps from the O.R. for an emergency, and emergencies in OB happen FAST. Kudos to those who brave planned home births, but I want both me and baby healthy even if it means serious medical intervention!

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby lauralnm » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:53 pm

I'm back after a few days from the Boards. Took a bad fall at our youth yard sale on Saturday. Landed very hard on my chest, had some breathing problems which have now dissipated, right hand tingling and fingers numb, but that should go away after about three weeks the ER doctor said. I wish to thank each and every one who prayed for my recovery. I am absolutely amazed that I didn't break something at my age (68), but God was looking after me. And I give Him all the glory and praise for doing so.

Have been busy today making curtains for our church school class room, taking grandchildren to school and picking them up and now I hope to get busy doing some writing. Today has been a good day... in fact, the best day since I fell. Just so you all know I do have a good sense of humor, I told the Youth Director in charge of the yard sale where I had my fall that if I thought I was the entertainment for the day, I would have stayed home. There is always something to smile or laugh about.

Hope all is well with everyone here. Haven't really looked too closely as to how everyone else's life is going, but I will. Then there will be no shutting me up! Thanks again for your prayers.

blessings in Christ, laura

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:37 am

Laura, so glad you are okay and your breathing is better. Hope your pain and numbness improves quickly. Have you thought of going to a chiropractor or massage therapist or anything? I can recommend a couple great ones in the area if you need. I have a therapist who does a mix of physical therapy, massage, myofacial release... pretty much any technique you need. He and his wife work together and help me and my sister a lot, and they are Christians, which is cool. (oh and I emailed you back. Hopefully it'll get there this time :) )

Kara, that would be cool if you could afford some cleaning and cooking help. If Mom keeps getting shingles (hope not!) then I think we'll have to figure out a way to do that. Finally someone at church offered to bring us some meals, so that's helpful. Really need someone to scrub out my shower--I'm scared it'll flare my shoulder too badly, but now it's gross enough that even I'm a little embarrassed to ask anyone to do it.... :roll:

I think my fatigue is starting to lessen a little, thanks for asking. But for some reason my pain has been flaring the last few days. I went into the myotherapist today and he said my muscles were even more messed up than usual. Pain is a little easier to write through than fatigue, so hopefully I can get some writing done tomorrow.

Tiara, everything makes me think of a song, too! :P
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby lauralnm » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:15 am

Sparrow wrote:Laura, so glad you are okay and your breathing is better. Hope your pain and numbness improves quickly. Have you thought of going to a chiropractor or massage therapist or anything? I can recommend a couple great ones in the area if you need. I have a therapist who does a mix of physical therapy, massage, myofacial release... pretty much any technique you need. He and his wife work together and help me and my sister a lot, and they are Christians, which is cool. (oh and I emailed you back. Hopefully it'll get there this time :) )

Kara, that would be cool if you could afford some cleaning and cooking help. If Mom keeps getting shingles (hope not!) then I think we'll have to figure out a way to do that. Finally someone at church offered to bring us some meals, so that's helpful. Really need someone to scrub out my shower--I'm scared it'll flare my shoulder too badly, but now it's gross enough that even I'm a little embarrassed to ask anyone to do it.... :roll:

I think my fatigue is starting to lessen a little, thanks for asking. But for some reason my pain has been flaring the last few days. I went into the myotherapist today and he said my muscles were even more messed up than usual. Pain is a little easier to write through than fatigue, so hopefully I can get some writing done tomorrow.

Tiara, everything makes me think of a song, too! :P

Thanks, Amy, for your well wishes. I had a bad experience with a chiropractor once and since then I have been hesitant to go to a chiropractor, physical therapist or the like. But should I see the need, I certainly will contact you. I haven't looked in my email yet today, but am anxious to see what you have to say.

I'm also glad to see that your fatigue is apparently lessened some. That is happening to me as well. Not just sure why for weeks I'll have no energy and then boom... I have a burst that may last a week, a month or even several months. I am chronically anemic. Kidney disease which I have, goes hand in hand with anemia so that doesn't help my situation any.

Kara, that would be so cool if you could get the cleaning and cooking help that appears to be needed. I had a high school student come in once a week when I was in the work force and even that helped considerably. Of course, being the particular person that I am, I had to go over very carefully exactly how I wanted the house cleaned. She did a wonderful job. I usually had her come over on Fridays and then I could enjoy my nice clean house over the weekend.

Well, going to go have a look see at your email, Amy. I have a ton of stuff to do today. I've already done some writing, but do hope I can get back to it some time today. You all have a wonderful day. blessings in Christ, laura

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Oh! turns out I had Laura and Joanna mixed up. It's Joanna who lives in the same town as I do. I had to check back and figure it out when Laura told me in her email that she isn't here after all. Glad I'm not completely making things up! :P I had this memory of a conversation about critique group, and it did happen, just with a different person.

My sister and her girls stopped by for a half hour today on the way home from school. She and I have both been flaring so badly (she has the same condition I do) that we haven't seen each other for a while. It was good to see them and though it was short, that's kinda nice in a way cuz it doesn't wear us out.
Amy Michelle Wiley

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi all! Glad I guilted Tim to stop by. If he's going to whomp me in word the least he can do is pop in every so often!

Laura so sorry that you hurt yourself and we were praying and thinking about you. Glad things are better. Three weeks is a long time to have numbness. Have you had a neurologist check it out?

Leah, I know a lot of mothers are terrified of C-sections. Most of the time though, it is the best thing, at least for the docs I worked for. It's funny cuz once the only OB docs in the hospital got a letter reprimanding them for having the highest c-section rate in the hospital. It was quite funny since they were the only docs who could do a c-section. I had M vaginally with a 4th degree episiotomy and 4th degree tears. Q and Lyd were scheduled c-sects because of my viral illness. And my bottom was way sorer than my belly but it still took longer to recover. Remind me to tell you about the time I held a baby's head off a prolapsed cord, probably too graphic for her but quite the story!

Hey everyone else and those missing! Hugs to ya!

I just submitted my junk food story. I was number 32. I'm glad the quarter is almost over. I'm tired of the same kind of stories each week!

We got the wedding invitation in the mail today. Sniff <3 Lyd is doing much better and even joined a writing group! :shock: And Q is loving divinity school!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:32 am

BooYah!
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:34 am

I take my BooYah back...just realized that I have pretty much run out of time to get an entry together. Gahhh
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

TiaraJoy's Profile

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby lauralnm » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:21 am

Just got my entry in and it is 11:19 p.m. Wednesday evening. I was number 42, Shann! Thanks for the prayers. I'm off to bed. blessings to all, laura

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler