To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby JesusPuppy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Adding M-2 to prayer list.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks Puppers. It means a lot to me.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:29 pm

No problem. Just remember that Ed (not Edward) means Witness in the old Hebrew, and it is a good name for a male child. :mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:28 pm

I will tell them, but my gut says it's a girl, although maybe I can get her to name her Pup....
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:55 pm

:mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:31 pm

We are positively roasting out here in SoCal. It's actually hotter in the inland valleys than in the deserts! We're getting into the triple digits, and it's only in the 80s in the deserts, both low and high deserts! Early next week, it will start getting more seasonal. Right now we're breaking temperture records all over the place.
The other night, I didn't sleep too well because of the heat. I slept better last night, and everything was okay until somebody started yelling at 4 a.m. and was told to be quiet. This morning, I was told a guy from the street jumped the fence by the smoking area--the whole way across the terminal from the women's area--and when the cops tried to get him, he cut himself with a knife on his neck and stabbed himself in the abdomen. But the cops tased him and he was taken away in an ambulance. This was at 2 a.m., and I totally slept through it. I must point out something like that is extremely rare. We have had people jump over the fence, but they were trying to get in after the gate was closed.

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Finally cooled down. We've been having problems with homeless people who live in the channel near our church using our parking lot as their trash can for their food wrappers, used condoms, needles, and more recent, as a bathroom.
I've picked up bottles of pee before--with a broom and dustpan-- but last week Pastor Terry asked me to take a shovel and collect human waste in a part of the parking lot by an electrical box. I did, putting it into a separate trash bag, and disposing of it immediately--just as the garbage truck came by to collect. Yesterday Pastor Brian gave me a $50 gift card for "going above and beyond the call of duty"!
But what can you do? Most jobs out here are part-time, and our minimum wage of $10.50 an hour doesn't cut it in an incredibly tight housing market.
Our vacancy rate mirrors that in the Bay Area--4%, with most new construction being priced out of most people's budgets. The number one cause of homelessness is poverty and number two is lack of affordable housing. And from what I've seen, what passes for affordable housing are old houses and apartments in bad neighborhoods with major repair and habitability issues. The mayor is said to be buying up all the vacant lots around so they can't be used for affordable housing.
On top of that, businesses are not letting people use their bathrooms, or forcing them to buy something, or some other dodge. Where do they expect us to go? This is crazy, as well as non-productive. Where does it end?

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:33 pm

So we found out we are having another granddaughter! So happy and can't wait to meet her. :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Cool! Congratulations! I bet you're the best grandma ever! :)

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Ahh thanks. I try. I wish driving wasn't so hard for me. They live an hour away and I try to get there when I can, but usually pay for a few days after. (of course part of the soreness could be just from keeping up with a 2 yo!)
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:42 am

I need a new computer. Having to hook my netbook to the network line just to get on. Praying everyone is well, and will try getting on as soon as I can.

JesusPuppy Profile

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:31 pm

This afternoon at 2:30, I have an appointment with City Net. They help homeless people who are considered to be chronically homeless--one year or more--get affordable housing. I hope I can get a new place in time for the holidays.
Yesterday after church I bought a new pillow and pillow cover. It has gotten so cold lately at night. I was using three of my four blankets folded to make a pillow, and realized I needed to get a pillow so I can use all 4 blankets for warmth. I was so toasty warm last night, and the pillow was comfy! I got the kind that is best for back and side sleepers. It works great!

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:05 pm

The meeting with the City Net intern went well. But today she tried to get ahold of me by phone--and there's been another Amber Alert, and my phone is getting these alerts like every 5 minutes! I tried to call her back, but for some reason I got an "Emergency calls only" notification on my phone. That's never happened before. Then I had almost no bars, so finally I emailed them explaining my problem. The message left said the intern would leave a list of resources for me, so hopefully I can get that tonight.

Pray they get the father and child who are at the center of this Amber Alert--there was a history of drug abuse in the family, and when CPS told the family to hand over their 15 month old son, they refused, and when agents came to the door, the father had already taken off on foot with the child, and may be assisted by friends. I'm really getting tired of these Amber Alerts blowing up my phone, especially when I need to use it!

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:05 pm

That story is so sad. This week on the news, there was a 10 day old newborn who was drowned in the bathtub by her mother. The neighbor had called the cops last week when she threatened to kill the baby. She had a 7 yo removed from custody last year for similar threats but she was returned recently. I can't imagine what that poor little girl is going through. It's so sad. So many people would have gladly taken that little baby. I wish I were healthy enough to foster parent.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Previous

Return to The Water Cooler