Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by deejay » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Getting Tripod's ashes in her new urn was easy. My backpack weighs more now, because it's slightly larger and heavier--rosewood vs. plastic--but I don't care. I put the old box into the new one.

Tried to go to the job fair for Samaritan's Purse; last night I thought there has got to be a better way to get there than taking three buses. So I checked, and lo and behold, I found I could walk to the Santa Ana train station, take the Metrolink to Fullerton, and tone bus from there. Unfortunately, when I got there, at the train station, the ticket vending machine wasn't working properly. So I figured God didn't want me to go there--hey, in my 47 years of following Christ, I have learned if something get roadblocked, it means God is saying "no" to that. So I went back, got my mail and went to the library.

Got a voicemail from SP; I'll have to call them back. My phone has been acting weird lately; there are times the screen will go black for no reason, then come back on. The other day I got a phone call from my pastor's mother-in-law and I think she wanted to hang out with me, but I couldn't hear what she was saying. Then we got cut off, and I dialed her back. I can't be sure what she said. Last time she offered to take me somewhere, she flaked out at the last minute.

Still, I'm kind of upset and disappointed I didn't get to ride the train....

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Maybe you didn't mean it this way, but what I'm reading is any obstacle is a clear "no" from God. So... God doesn't want you to work at a Christian organization, or even give some extra effort to try? What if you saw these obstacles as something to overcome because the enemy doesn't want you to work for a Christian organization? What if God wanted to show you something by overcoming that obstacle? If you had told me the ticket machine didn't work, so you went back to the bus station, and the first bus was late, then the second bus broke down, then the third bus missed your stop, so you got off at the next stop and walked back, but by then they weren't admitting anyone new to the job fair, then, maybe I'd say, "Okay, God. What now?" But don't let one small thing stop you! You are stronger than that, Deejay! Don't sell yourself short by saying, "Well, one thing went wrong, so I give up." God isn't always going to just drop a job in our laps and make everything easy. He wants us to grow, not only in trusting Him when it seems there are stumbling blocks, but He also wants us to grow in perseverance and endurance, in EVERY sense of the word. If this had been an actual job interview, would you have said the same thing, or would you have looked it as on opportunity to give an extremely relevant answer to an often asked interview about overcoming challenges? I've not lived your life, Deejay, and I'm not trying to say I know your life better than you, or that I know God's purposes better than you. But sometimes we need to look at things from more than one angle.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:46 pm

You may be right. They've left not one, but two, voicemails on my phone asking for a phone interview. At least I don't have to worry about what to wear! :lol:

Alright, I'll call them tomorrow while I'm at work. The fact they obviously are interested in me is a definate plus. Maybe by this means I can earn enough money to get out of the shelter.

Thanks for the word of encouragement! :thankssign :bow

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:16 am

First yay to Allison for saying what she said so succinctly. I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't able to put it into such a nice way like she did. And yay to you Deejay for listening. I think this sounds like a brilliant place for you. You could not only get a great job, apartment, aybe a pet, but you'd be able to empathize with these people in a way only someone who has been homeless can understand. So did you follow through with the phone interview?
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:01 pm

They called me! I have a face to face interview at 1 pm Monday! I haven't worked full time in years, even longer with consistent overtime. But I can educate people on homelessness, if necessary; something I do whenever I see an online news article about homelessness. It would shock you to see what some people post about the homeless--one person said they should put all the homeless on a ship, sail it out to the middle of the ocean, then sink it. Some people are--wisdom deficient! I'll put it that way!

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:26 am

Dear Jesus, I ask that you bless Deejay. Give her the confidence, strength, wisdom, and punctuality to show her best self in this interview. Bless the interviewer with wisdom, empathy, and a calm presence. Help Deejay figure out what she needs to do before interview and give her the access to find information about the company, remind her to breathe deeply and feel your presence, give her an opportunity to see how different interviews might be held today than last time she interviewed.Thank you for the help Alison has provided. Bless her with confidence, yet don't let her cross that line from confident to cocky. Thank you for granting her this opportunity. Let her gratitude for the opportunity shine through. Thank you for her case workers and many others who have helped her get to this point. Thank you for her relevant job and life experience and grant her the desire to help others. Thank you for keeping her healthy and bless her with strength and ability to do this job if she is offered it. Thank you for all who have encouraged, helped, and coached her this far. We put this in your hands and believe you have great plans for her. Amen.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:17 pm

NAILED IT!

Orientation date will be announced, I go for training the Wed./Fri. the week before Thanksgiving, and start the following week. When I did the phone interview, I had the job; this was just a formality. I already read their website. This was so easy! I wish all job interviews could be like this! I did everything right. Looking people in the eye has always been my weak point, but I did it, no stress! My hours will be from 8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., Mon.-Sat. .
I think it's a really good sign when they give you their personal work number so you can call if anything happens, or you have further questions.

Thanks for all the help! :thankssign :superhappy :thumbs :rockon

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:28 pm

YAY!!!! I'm so happy for you! :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :rockon :superhappy :party :superhappy :music2 :superhappy :handshake :superhappy :hugs2 :superhappy :grouphug :superhappy :loveyou (x1000)

K. I think that's enough... :D
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:21 pm

Yaaaaayyy Deejay! I'm so proud of you and happy for you. :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:42 pm

I was starting to get burned out on janitorial--so maybe this will help. I have to fill out a time off request form when I go to work Thursday. But I have a very cool boss, so no worries.

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Are you going to keep working at your church job? How long is the other job for?
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Since I have to take 3 buses, I can't work at my church job and Samaritan's Purse simultaneously. My shift would be from 8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., Monday through Saturday, with only Sunday off. That's why I would have to take a leave of absence from my church job. It's for about 8 weeks, starting in late November until before Christmas.

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Got a call from Samaritan's Purse yesterday. They pay $15/hour! I go in at 11 am Nov. 6th for orientation, training is Saturday the 23rd and Monday the 25th, and first day at work is the 26th. And I'll have Thanksgiving off. If we finish Dec. 21st, that will only make it 3 weeks, but hey, at $15 an hour, that helps!

At the shelter, they put in new paper towel dispensers, which have a crank. I haven't seen those since I was in high school (early 70s). But they're new, so I guess they're still making them. For 3 weeks there was no paper towels in them--we have hand blowers, but the last working one kicked the bucket. I came home Thursday, and finally there were paper towels in them! Now we just need soap. I found an open bottle of hand soap we no longer use while at work yesterday, but I was so tired I forgot to take it. I did speak to the janitor about getting soap this morning.

Wednesday night, I was sitting at a table doing puzzles when a staff member approached me, saying he heard I'd gotten written up,and my stuff had been rolled up. He asked if I'd just gotten my stuff back. I said that was news to me, my stuff was there when I left that morning and was there when I came home. This morning when I was getting signed in for the day, the staffer noticed that there was a "rolled up" note on the line with my name and asked about it. I told her what the other staffer had told me, and she called another staffer who said I wasn't on the shift log, and I was never any trouble, so obviously a mistake was made. In order to get written up and have your stuff rolled up, which generally also means you get temporarily exited, you have to do something very serious. And of course I had done nothing. Somebody goofed, so I'm in the clear. I wasn't worried, but more confused. But praise God it's all straightened out!

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:22 pm

They are still having to write my name on the sign in sheet at the shelter.

Orientation was about an hour, and as I was on my way there--bus/train/bus!--I realized that to get there on Saturdays would be a major hassle, and require taking the 3 buses. I spoke to the lady who interviewed me, and she said, "You know what? I already have plenty of people on Saturday. How about if I have you just come in Monday through Friday to work?" :superhappy
I do, however, have to come in on the first training day on Saturday, but after that---!

Yesterday I went to a computer store to try to get my iPad fixed because it wasn't charging, and found they had moved. So I wrote down the new address, and went to Barnes and Noble instead. I've used them before, and not only are they very reasonable in price, they do great work too! They even changed their business hours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mon.-Fri., to 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Mon.- Sat.. So I'll try again soon, before I have to report in for work at Samaritan's Purse. If Metrolink trains have wifi on board, I can keep up with my email and sites while traveling to and from work.

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:32 pm

No wifi on Metrolink; I was going to buy first a one week pass then a monthly pass, but realized it's cheaper to buy weekly passes. One week passes from Santa Ana to Fullerton round-trip are $35; a monthly pass is $140. Four one week passes are the same as a monthly pass, but I don't have to wait until the 25th of the month before to buy them.

So I had my training, then we got our first 3 days--with Thanksgiving off--of work! What I do is I go shopping--they have gaylords--huge boxes on pallets--full of various toys, and I have to fill baskets with a certain number of toys from each gaylord, then put the filled baskets--white plastic bins, BTW-- on a table then put more baskets on the cart and go around again, shopping. (Gaylord, I believe, was originally a brand name.) From time to time, people who are processing the shoe boxes find they have to remove an inappropriate item--food, candy/gum, liquid items or items containing liquids, medicines, vitamins, medications, seeds, etc.--and take a toy or toys from the baskets I and others working with me have filled, and put in a substitute, or round out a box that needs more items. When they run out of filler items, I get baskets that are full for them and take the empties. From time to time they will ask that I empty their trash buckets, or buckets of inappropriate items, or a box whose "Track Your Shoe Box" label didn't scan properly (we had a lot of those the first day, due to a glitch in the scanner program) and I take the inappropriates to the table of that name, trash is emptied into the trash can, and damaged boxes or those whose labels didn't scan are taken to the "Shoe Box Hospital" table and fixed. They were killing us the second day! But our facility--the largest of all the Samaritan's Purse facilities--ranked second after the one in North Carolina that day in number of boxes processed!

I discovered the pallets of donated boxes are checked by a sniffer dog and security officer before being processed. If they pass, the officer puts a green sticker on the box. I asked what happens if the dog were to go woof, woof, and was told that the suspect box would be pulled and carefully examined. But they also said it hasn't happened yet.
The people I work with are great, they understand that I usually am a few minutes late because the nearest the bus drops me off at is about a mile from the facility--and that bus only runs every hour and fifteen minutes all day--so it's all good. Riding the train is fun and relaxing. I like to ride in the observation level so I can see more. We had a very cold, very wet Thanksgiving. They had 5" to 8" of snow in the Antelope Valley, which is quite a bit for the high desert. Some places had over 2" of rain.
I was going to get a new iPad Air 3 at the computer store, but maybe I'll wait until after Christmas. I broke the charging cord they gave me for my old one, so I just went ahead and wiped it before it lost all power. Needless to say, I had over 200 emails in my box today. The rain kept me from going to church and using the wifi to pare the list down.

Return to “The Water Cooler”