Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by Shann » Thu May 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Congratulations Rich on ranking 8th in level 1. If you guys haven't read it yet, check it out. It was good.
http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=51085
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Fri May 29, 2015 12:17 am

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been gone so long. I do miss you all. Looks like some new people have joined the group. I'm glad.

I'm still really struggling with my health. I had a few good weeks last month and was tolerating outings a little better but then had a few too many doctor appointments and family gatherings and it started causing inflammation so I ended up with pleurisy. Thankfully the meds helped quickly since level ten pain each breath isn't very fun. ;-)

I've been mostly crocheting lately. Shann found me a pattern to make some owls for her and I loved them so have been finding other toy patterns. I have a batch of owls made up for a friend to take to a rehabilitation care home, and I'm making dark skinned dolls to send to my uncle's school in Indonesia as they have trouble finding dark dolls for the girls to play with.

I'm trying to get a post written to change my website and blog from a writing and interpreting focus to the crocheting and coloring that I'm able to do now. But it's hard to find the mental energy to write that kind of thing so I haven't finished it yet.

My oldest niece Alicia joined FW today! She's 14 and a half but opted to join the main site instead of the kids' site. She just posted this poem. http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=177645
rtodd5011 wrote:I'm not sure what my step grands will call me since their dad is in the picture. I may as well get used to the idea that they will call me Richard.
I call my step-grandfather "grandpa." I called my biological grandfather "Grandpa White," though he wasn't very involved in my life. But if you are able to be involved in your step-grandkid's lives, I'll bet they will call you a grandfatherly name. My mom calls her step-dad by his first name but all of us kids call him grandpa.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by JesusPuppy » Fri May 29, 2015 11:47 pm

Oh Look, a Sparrow. :heehee

Glad to see you are still with us, you know how I worry. I think... I say think.. I remember seeing your niece once. The time Chrissy was here, or was it the time before that...? :roll:

We were playing that fruity game, Apples or Bananas something like that. She came over and was playing, over my shoulder. I thought it was funny and asked is she was a plant, as I wasn't very good at playing, until she helped. :lol:

Glad to hear she is at the site, have her come by and say hello. I promise to be good. :mrgreen:
Shann wrote:It would take a special nut to perform such a feat. :mrgreen:
A VERY special nut. :tongue
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat May 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Rich, my grandmother remarried when I was 12. My siblings called him by his first name, but my Mom decided to call him Poppa. I referred to him by that name, but avoided ever using it or his name when directly talking to him as much as possible. I doubt I yelled Hey you! (Though, I can't be sure, I think I just would avoid it.) I was working at the hospital when he was brought in in full cardiac arrest. It was such a difficult time for me. We had a special connection. Though I had dozens of cousins, somehow he and I really clicked. I have only a few memories of my actual grandfather (not super pleasant ones either), so it was a no-brainer when I wanted to name my son after someone important to me. His middle name is Poppa's first name, Martin.

Glad to see you pop in Amy. Alicia's poem is awesome. If you guys haven't read it, I'd urge you to do so. It's powerful and one of the best I've read.

Poor Lyd just spent over $1,000 on her "new" car. She called me last night crying. My car's on fire what should I do?
After screaming, Get out! I calmed her down and determined it was smoking really bad. There seems to be an electrical short. We disconnected the battery and are glad she's safe, but she is so upset. Please pray she can fix it fairly inexpensively. She needs to do a few other things too. It's so frustrating.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat May 30, 2015 9:14 pm

It is why I went back to riding a tricycle. :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat May 30, 2015 10:00 pm

I tried to talk her into a moped, but she muttered about snow and ice and sub zero temperatures. Wimp
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:08 pm

:rolling

JesusPuppy Profile

wheelygirl58
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by wheelygirl58 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi everyone!! Yesterday, I got out of seeing Jesus and being with Him forever. I'll explain-- I use a manual wheel-chair to get around, and the Phoenix, (AZ) bus system. I was headed home, after church, I was about to cross the street, I had the right-of-way, I had the pedestrian signal to go ahead, and roll/walk forward. The next thing I see is SUV-styled truck coming right at me! He was making a left turn, a wide turn. I pulled myself back, if I didn't, I don't believe I'd be home telling my pals here in FaithWriters. com!! :D :D
Unfortunately, the guy paid no attention to what he did, in he was looking away from me, as he was finishing his turn.
Once I calmed down, I began praising & thanking our Lord for His protection!!
Sadly, I didn't think to getting his license plate! :roll:
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 This is,another of my life verses!!

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Oh my Thank you Jesus for your protection! That must be super scary.

So Q did his sermon yesterday and sent me the audio tape of it. Not that I'm biased or anything, but he is good. I can hear the passion in his voice. So many ministers seem to have lost that passion. He shared that I was a master inin punishment, though our recollections aren't exactly the same. He was moaning about doing chores when he was 9 or 10 and yelled It's not fair.. Not one of my favorite sayings. I made him yell it out loud (he said for five minutes, I don't think it was that long). He definitely learned his lesson and never forgot it or said it again. At first he thought how cool, I get to scream at the top of my lungs... It wasn't cool for long. :mrgreen:

His sermon was about how God disciplines us when we need it because he loves us and how we become totally his once he "adopts" us. He doesn't treat us differently and wants what is best for us. It was cool to hear him. I think he's going to be a great minister.
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:08 pm

Latest funny.

I was called the other day by a young lady who had read my handyman ad, rather squeeky voice, to see if I could fix a jewelry box that the hinges had broken on. I told her I would need to see the box and the type of hinge to be sure but I could probably do it.

"One second," silence on the line a moment. "Do you know where the coffee shop is down town?" What a silly question, it is my home away from home.

I get down there and a girl about 10 maybe 11, with her mom, has one of those little boxes you can get at the Dollar Store, the board where the screws hold the hinge on was broken so the lid no longer stayed on. I told her it would be cheaper to just buy a new one, but she wanted that one fixed. :roll:

Well, I had some scrap boards at home and not only fixed that little box, but made her a slightly bigger one as well. Her mom was willing to pay me for it, but seeing that little girl get so excited over that box... well worth a little time and glue. And the hug was nice too.

I know, I am softy.

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:04 pm

Ahh Pup, what a sweet thing to do. I'll bet she'll cherish it forever.

Congratulations Jay on placing 3rd in level 3 and 20th overall! Check out his great story.
http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=51157
Shann

Shann's Profile

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:01 pm

wheelygirl58 wrote:
Once I calmed down, I began praising & thanking our Lord for His protection!!
Sadly, I didn't think to getting his license plate! :roll:
I'm glad you're alright.
Shann wrote:Ahh Pup, what a sweet thing to do. I'll bet she'll cherish it forever.

Congratulations Jay on placing 3rd in level 3 and 20th overall! Check out his great story.
http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=51157
Thanks, Shann! And thanks for your comment. I was rather surprised placing 3rd in the advanced.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:06 am

I think the overall ranking is cool too Jay. You placed 20th among all entries including those in Masters. Your story ranked higher than about half of those people in level 4 and there are some amazing entries in that level.
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:27 pm

It is way too windy for painting with a sprayer. BUT... This week past now I have gotten three places painted, and a porch finished out with new railings. Haven't gotten much by way of edit though........ :oops:

Did take time to watch a really cool sunset. :mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:34 pm

When M was little, we saw a beautiful sunset on my birthday. I said that it was God's birthday present to me. Several weeks later, we saw another beautiful sunset and M, shouted, Look Mommy, it must be someone's birthday! So now every time we see a pretty sunset, we say, It must be someone's birthday!

Hey, Pup, Look it must be someone's birthday!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Return to “The Water Cooler”