Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

wheelygirl58
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by wheelygirl58 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:39 pm

Since Jesus' birthday IS close at hand, I thought you all like to know what our Lord is doing "in my neck of the desert" (I live in central Arizona --' I'm dreaming of a sand brown Christmas. . '). Well, we are expecting to get some rainfall from the West Coast storm, and our usual mild temps. We are typically the "envy" of the USA. NOT so in the middle of our summers--110+ degrees:ugh!!
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 This is,another of my life verses!!

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by deejay » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:14 pm

As it does every time we have significant rainfall, our church roof leaks. It's a 42 year old building, and it really shows when it rains. We took in a ministry that was taken advantage of by the owner of their previous facility, and let them be with us for 3 months rent-free. They wanted to bless us, and asked Pastor Brian the best way to do that. He said we have a long list, pick what you want. They chose to replace the carpeting. But I know that sooner or later, someone else will bless us with a new roof. That's what I've seen--if you accept a lesser blessing, the big one you need/want will follow.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:18 pm

God is good!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:11 am

Hey guys! I've been out of loop here for a while. I did NaNoWriMo this year and I won! It took its toll on me, though. I'm recovering from a bit of burnout. I had to push myself hard to finish those 50,000 words on top of my other duties of running a home and homeschooling six kids.

I'm happy with the book I wrote. I got the idea for it after I wrote my last challenge entry and turned it into a novel. It's futuristic and pretty heavy, but I like to read those kind of books. :D I'm going to start editing it in January.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:17 am

Awesome! Happy Dance! Whatever happened to that other book I was going to help you to edit? It was good, I want to read the rest.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:04 am

The other book is still gathering dust. :roll: This is the third novel that I've written, and they're all still in rough draft. I didn't know where to go with the rewriting process. That's why I came to FW in the first place.

The writing challenges have helped me immensely, and I took two writing courses as well. I feel like I'm ready to tackle some self-editing now. I'm going to work on this most recent book, because it's what I'm excited about right now. I have my work cut out for me with three novels to edit, and I plan on writing a new novel every year for NaNoWriMo. :shock:

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:40 pm

Write, read, re-write, edit, re-read, PRO-edit, re-write again when the PRO finds something you missed while reading it three times...... :wink:

Good for you at getting things done Rachel, but be sure not to get over done. :lol:

Take your first one as far as you can, even if you don't publish it. Use the second to refine that process. The third one... written in a month, edited and ready to send out in a year. Getting the book written in a month is great, but if you can't get it edited in that next year, or close to finished, you might want to hold off on starting another.

That was my problem until I pretty much gave up on it. I had several books started, a lot of ideas for new ones, and even a few first drafts completed, but little in the way of edit being done. And now, hundreds of stories, re-read for the umpteenth time, I am still finding mistakes, and that just makes me feel I am not so good as a writer after all. The Pro-edit only confirmed that fact. :(

I am just saying..... don't bite off more than you can chew.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Big surprise Pup, but I'm going to heartily disagree with you. Your one book is one of the best I've ever read. You made me smile, cry, and thank God for all of my hurts making me who I am. All part of what God can do. I have a horrible self-esteem, yet your story made me look at me with fresh eyes. I could only dream of impacting someone like that with my words. The only reason I haven't published your poetry book is because things have been crazy busy (plus I'm afraid my poetry editing skills won't do it justice). I am hoping to work more on it this year though.

Everything you've ever written has touched my heart. Sure you need help with grammar and spelling, and maybe some tweaking and tightening get, but... That's why God made editors. You should have more faith in yourself. You're one of my favorite people in the world. Things have been really rough for me, yet you guys are the ones who help me see a tiny bit of worth in myself. God knew what he was doing 5 years ago when I first found my way here. You have done some amazing things.

Rachel, he did give you some good advice. Go with the one you're excited about, but don't forget the others. That one I worked on was amazing. I am honored and blessed to see how you have blossomed in the last year or so. Last year ago at this time, we were releasing the picture book. I'm so happy you found FW!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:16 pm

I remember three years ago after poppop died it was hard for me it was hardest at New years. It was hard at Christmas, he'd only passed 13 days before and our presents had his name signed too. Kind of sad but yet cool in a weird way.

My best friends grandmother has gotten worse still. In a matter of 3 days she went from walking and joking around to bed ridden or wheel chair bound and not talking as well as barely knowing who anyone is.
Dum Spiro Spero

RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:15 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:Write, read, re-write, edit, re-read, PRO-edit, re-write again when the PRO finds something you missed while reading it three times...... :wink:

Good for you at getting things done Rachel, but be sure not to get over done. :lol:

Take your first one as far as you can, even if you don't publish it. Use the second to refine that process. The third one... written in a month, edited and ready to send out in a year. Getting the book written in a month is great, but if you can't get it edited in that next year, or close to finished, you might want to hold off on starting another.

That was my problem until I pretty much gave up on it. I had several books started, a lot of ideas for new ones, and even a few first drafts completed, but little in the way of edit being done. And now, hundreds of stories, re-read for the umpteenth time, I am still finding mistakes, and that just makes me feel I am not so good as a writer after all. The Pro-edit only confirmed that fact. :(

I am just saying..... don't bite off more than you can chew.
Thank you for your advice, Pup! I thought I was a pretty good writer when I joined FW, but it didn't take me long to realize that I had a mountain load of stuff to learn! Still do. Now I have the belief that I can become a good writer if I work hard at it. I'll be getting a lot of professional feedback and editing along the way.

Realistically, my goal is to write a novel every November that I can and edit over the following year. On the years I'm not able to write another novel, I'll go back and work on my first novels.
Shann wrote: Rachel, he did give you some good advice. Go with the one you're excited about, but don't forget the others. That one I worked on was amazing. I am honored and blessed to see how you have blossomed in the last year or so. Last year ago at this time, we were releasing the picture book. I'm so happy you found FW!
I'm so happy that I found FW too! Thank you for your encouragement, Shann!
Rebecky wrote:I remember three years ago after poppop died it was hard for me it was hardest at New years. It was hard at Christmas, he'd only passed 13 days before and our presents had his name signed too. Kind of sad but yet cool in a weird way.

My best friends grandmother has gotten worse still. In a matter of 3 days she went from walking and joking around to bed ridden or wheel chair bound and not talking as well as barely knowing who anyone is.
That must make the Christmas season hard! I'm sorry to hear about your friend's grandmother!

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Congratulations winning NaNo, Rachel! Did you win anything? I couldn't do that, I type too slow. :lol:

Well, I had finished re-writing my YA novels earlier this year and waiting for my mom to proof it so I can republish it. I thought about publishing ebooks, but maybe a publisher would like. I'm not sure if I want to search for an agent. I haven't been inspired to finish a half-baked novel. I finished my Mr. Tinker short story. Maybe Pup or Becky (I know Shann is extra busy) wants to read it?

So, I did secret santa for the first time with AllTheBeautifulPeople website (people from HealKick website which was taken down). Shann knows this person I sent the secret gift to.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:21 pm

ok I finally have a photo of my grandmother's puppy to show you all...

Dum Spiro Spero

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:12 am

Awwww poor puppy. At least its eyes aren't glowing. :lol:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:19 am

My best friend called me this morning, she was with her grandmother last night and Hospice said she's nearing the end. They said she could pass away within the next couple days.
Dum Spiro Spero

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:51 am

She passed this morning.
Dum Spiro Spero

Return to “The Water Cooler”