Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by deejay » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:41 pm

There was a 4.5 last night at 11:23 p.m., another one at 9:33 a.m., a 3.4 when I was walking to the library that I didn't feel, and we just had another shaker a minute ago. They're coming from a fault line near Yorba Linda. Check it out at www.usgs.gov .

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:56 am

Rebecky wrote:I think it's funny that children get the chicken pox vaccine now but did you know that the vaccine is only 50% chance it will work? I've heard of a lot of kids getting the vaccine but still getting chicken pox.
Like any vaccine, it is not suppose to cure you of it, only increase the number of antibodys your body has to fight it off if you do get it. Like having the "Flu Shot" and still getting the flu anyway.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:25 am

Yeah but I guess when we think of a vaccine we think of it preventing us from getting it all together.
Dum Spiro Spero

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 am

WAY TO GO AMY AND SHAN FOR THE EC!!! :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy
Barb Culler

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks Barb. I can't believe my lightning bug story earned an EC. And to think I was this close to not writing it! I guess my 2 am sleepless nights when I take my walks are good for something. It started out as a musing about if it is lightning out then how come there are no lightning bugs out and about. After a mile or so, I did see a couple frolicking in the bush so I named them Bea and Del (get it Beadel or beetle cuz they aren't flies but beetles!) Being a tad wacky pays off! Speaking of Tad Wacky I miss Cynthia and her MC Tad Wacky!

Also CONGRATULATIONS AMY FOR YOUR EC!!!! :superhappy :superhappy :clap :clap :superhappy :superhappy :party :party :party :party :shiney2 :star2
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

srashmi

Post by srashmi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Yay to Shann and Amy for their challenge ECs :!: :!: :bow :bow :thumbs :thumbs :coolsign :coolsign

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Rebecky wrote:sorry for mentioning it amy & shann. didn't mean to embarrass you. I need to learn to shut up and not speak.
Becky are u talking about mentioning the 111 instead of 1111? I totally thought it was hysterical. I laughed out loud seriously! My favorite number and I type it wrong! That's pretty funny then to have Amy do the same I'd beyond funny.

I often worry like you do and say things like that and people would puzzle about why I thought. I messed up by saying something. I promise you that I didn't even remotely feel embarrassed or offend. It gave me a great laugh had u not said anything I never would have gotten that laugh.

My teasing Amy and you is just my special way of saying I love you, you silly, beautiful, thoughtful goon! ;)
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:30 pm

I can really emphasize with Amy's mom. That is why I'm in the hospital so much. For over 23 years I've suffered with shingles and have literally had them on every inch of my body, even the lining around my brain. I have to take like 5xs the amount of medicine that they usually treat it with. The 5xs the amount is just the prophalaxis When I get the sores which have been as large as a baseball I often have to go to hosp. It took docs months to diagnosis me cuz it's practically unheard of a 23 yo to get shingles let alone for the virus to go systemic. I've never gone more than 3 months without a outbreak.

I don't think you have to be a certain age to get vaccine but insurance may not pay for it. If Amy's mom had gotten it a month ago I would have blamed myself for giving it to her. Though other than Lyd having chicken pox three times and what we think was shingles when she was a baby no one in my family has ever gotten it.

It is one of the worst pains ever. I not only still get outbreaks but I suffer from post-herpetic neuralgia which is caused by nerve damage and the sores go away but the pain stays. I have spots where if the wind blows or someone barely touches me I fall from the pain and do everything I can to not scream.

Sorry to hear about earthquakes. I think I'm glad we get blizzards more than earthquakes!
Shann

Shann's Profile

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Sparrow wrote: Kara, I don't make a lot of phone calls cuz they tend to wear me out and put a crook in my neck, but I text a lot. I'll send you my #. Do you keep your phone off when you're sleeping, or do I need to pay attention to time zones? Mine is always on silent when I'm sleeping, so you can text any time without fear of waking me.
Oh no, I don't talk on the phone. Texting would be great- and no need to worry about waking me up. I don't usually turn my phone on silent but will probably start getting in the habit of it. As for now I am close enough to your schedule for it to not matter so much :D

Prayers for your Mom!

And congrats to Amy and Shann- maybe I will get around to reading your awesome work :D
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:29 am

Thanks for the congrats! :) I told Shann hers was extra-great this week. :D Glad she didn't get 11th cuz then I'd feel bad for knocking her out. That's like the worst possible spot to get, I think. I got 9th once back when only 8 ECs were handed out and then just a few weeks later they upped it to 10 so then it really wasn't fair. :lol: But Deb published that one in the FW magazine, so it got published after all.

My Mom does have shingles. :( She's not allowed to have the vaccine because it's a live virus in it. Because her immune system is kept suppressed so she doesn't reject her kidney transplant, her body would just get sick from the live ones. She was in so much pain she was almost screaming and couldn't breathe if she had to walk, but today she's getting around with just severe pain instead of complete agony, so that's good. They caught it soon enough that the meds should work faster than otherwise (thanks to the chiropractor--See, God uses even thrown out backs for good!).

Becky, you didn't embarrass me at all! It's almost impossible to embarrass me, actually. I was like 25 before I had a "most embarrassing story." I'll tell it to you sometime, but better get to bed now. I have to take my sis to an appt in the morn since Mom can't drive yet.

Oh, and pray for me... I was a little stressed anyway with trying to get my proposals and novel ready for the conference next week and then last night I found out I'm going to have to put a ton more hours in on the book job I thought was completed. I'll be working lots of hours on it all weekend, looks like, and it's mostly on stuff that I don't think needs fixed anyway. That's life with a job, I guess. I leave for the conference Monday morning.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:31 am

Not even when you got lost in the hallway of a hotel and couldn't find your room. How long did you wander around before you saw someone that knew where you were going......? :wink:

JesusPuppy Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:41 am

Was just looking over the Challenge, past entries as well as present, and was wondering, are we suppose to use the date thingy as part of our piece...? It does read that way...

The CURRENT topic is "Banquet - deadline 8-16-12 10 am NY time ".

:roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:52 am

:shock:

Oh, pup... lol
Dum Spiro Spero

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:15 am

Kara, I could text you too but i'd have to be more careful about it cause I only have 500 texts a month for those who don't have verizon. Oh and I leave my phone on silence ... all the time, lol

I'm weird, if I have the sound up on it or even on vibrate and then someone calls or texts and it rings or vibrates it scares me. The sound makes me jump, so I don't turn the sound on.

Oh yeah so I didn't tell you guys, on July 28th was my niece's birthday party. She turned 6 years old. So anyway, I drove my parents to their house. Well... that was my plan anyway, so we leave here and when you go down our road you make a left turn and then go straight and you go over a bridge, so right after I get over the bridge I randomly hear police sirens. They were so loud it freaked me out and I started shaking. I quickly pulled over and stopped and they went right by me and kept going. Well after that I was so upset and shaking that I wanted to not drive anymore and just walk home. My dad kept telling me I did good and that I react good to "emergencies" or something. Well, despite what I wanted to do I kept driving. Well after a while we go over a bridge again, so after I get over that bridge a little ways down a black cat runs across the road and I had to stop really fast to not hit it. Thankfully I didn't hit it! So my parents and I started laughing about the "tests" God is giving me driving to their house. Well then I laughed again and said, "well, Ironically today is the 2 year anniversary of the car accident too." :shock: :lol:
Dum Spiro Spero

Kalnozoli Kate
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Kalnozoli Kate » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:38 am

[

Oh yeah so I didn't tell you guys, on July 28th was my niece's birthday party. She turned 6 years old. So anyway, I drove my parents to their house. Well... that was my plan anyway, so we leave here and when you go down our road you make a left turn and then go straight and you go over a bridge, so right after I get over the bridge I randomly hear police sirens. They were so loud it freaked me out and I started shaking. I quickly pulled over and stopped and they went right by me and kept going. Well after that I was so upset and shaking that I wanted to not drive anymore and just walk home. My dad kept telling me I did good and that I react good to "emergencies" or something. Well, despite what I wanted to do I kept driving. Well after a while we go over a bridge again, so after I get over that bridge a little ways down a black cat runs across the road and I had to stop really fast to not hit it. Thankfully I didn't hit it! So my parents and I started laughing about the "tests" God is giving me driving to their house. Well then I laughed again and said, "well, Ironically today is the 2 year anniversary of the car accident too." :shock: :lol:[/quote]

Becky,that is the most wonderful I have read in a very long time. So great that you kept driving even with those tests being 'thrown' at you. Yeah Dad. :superhappy
Blessings, Kathleen
"The only thing that can change us, the world, is this~~~all His love." Ann Voskamp

Blog: http://ergliangel45.wordpress.com

Return to “The Water Cooler”