Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by jaybird » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Shann, what story are you suggesting everyone writes? I'm now past the dateline :) I think you beat me a couple time at word.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Well jay I gave you at least 10 hours warning -- no excuse! I think Leah, Tiara, and I all entered. But we can all rally for in the kitchen! I already have an idea, I just need to stop getting distracted every time I sit down at the pc!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by JesusPuppy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:53 pm

I just need to stop getting distracted every time I sit down at the pc!
Like coming to the Board?????? :heehee
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:19 pm

yep that would be the main one!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:55 pm

And playing words is also a distraction, huh, Shann? I enjoyed your bird adventures. I love birds, easpecially eagles and hummers--songbirds. Hmm..I didn't have a story idea...I'm pretty focused on my novel revision.

Pup, I missed ya!
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:11 am

I was only missing for a few days. :roll:

Not like some.. who will not be mentioned.. that disappear for 6 whole months and come back to say, "Quack." And then leave again a few more days.

I will not say who this was.. but she is civilized, she said so. :mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

cdawson41
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by cdawson41 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Hope everyone is well. I will try to catch up on the boards soon. I'm elbow deep in Zuchinni, Mint Jelly, Cantelope Jam, Watermelon Jelly and now it looks like a lot of Tomatoes are ready so need to start salsa and ketchup. By the time I get it done for the day I'm trashed. This time of year nearly puts me under but we save so much and the food is better for us than store bought. Not sure if I'll have time to write for In The Kitchen sense I'm spending my time either there or sleeping.
Cynthia

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Profile Page FaithWriters
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=58736

My Web/Blog Page
http://cynthiad.weebly.com

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:40 pm

You know CD.... with 50 more words added to that post you would have your "In The Kitchen" piece. You could make it a warning that any who enter will be put to work. :wink:

I am one for talking I haven't even tried to write anything for the challenge in months. :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

JoyAnn

Post by JoyAnn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Shann wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Qqnl3_ ... re=related

When this old world starts getting me down
And people are just too much for me to face
At night the stars put on a show for free
And, darling, you can share it all with me
I keep a-tellin' you
Right smack dab in the middle of town
I've found a paradise that's trouble proof (up on the roof)
And if this world starts getting you down
There's room enough for two
Up on the roof (up on the roof)
Everything is all right (up on the roof)

That version of the song depresses me! Lauren Alaina and Scotty McCreery sang it better and put some stinking life into the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zV_uoEFFBw
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

[email protected]
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

JoyAnn

Post by JoyAnn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:52 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:I was only missing for a few days. :roll:

Not like some.. who will not be mentioned.. that disappear for 6 whole months and come back to say, "Quack." And then leave again a few more days.

I will not say who this was.. but she is civilized, she said so. :mrgreen:
Pup! :fingerwag
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

[email protected]
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Hey all. We are currently in South Dakota visiting my hubby's hometown. It is ridiculously small- as in 200 people small. The nearest Starbucks is an hour away. I grew up in a small town but the city has ruined me.

Pup, I think we could have a really awesome conversation over coffee about Doctor Who and Douglas Adams, not too sure if we would have anything to talk about :roll:

I miss spending time on here, miss lots of you. I have just been going constantly (in a good way but never ceasing) Starting to dread when we have to leave :cry: Leaving is the worst.
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

lauralnm
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by lauralnm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm back! Just got back from my four day, three night mini-vacation with my friend. The research, etc. on our book went well and we will be working on our first chapter. Am so glad to be home. blessings, laura

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:34 pm

I had a busy two nights of work. First night the mama wanted everything natural, no meds, no IV, no intervention or monitoring, everything peaceful and quiet, etc. Second night the mama wanted her epidural, the TV on, and toward the end when the medicine was wearing off she was hollering like crazy. Guess who had the C-section? Both babies ended up being sunny-side-up (the worst way to deliver) but the mama WITHOUT the birth plan was the one who pushed her baby out. Three hours of pushing for both. Lots of charting. It's so crazy to me that two women could have such different expectations and completely opposite outcomes. No birth plan mom - okay with C-section but doesn't need it. Birth plan mom - C-section is the worst thing on earth but needs it. CRAZY.

I'm glad I have a night to rest.

Oh, Shann, I'm sorry someone took offense to your comment. It's happened to me before too. Some people are just really defensive about their writing and can't believe others would have corrections for words that came DIRECTLY FROM GOD since they're a Christian and obviously inspired. :wink: One time in the Critique Circle I had been specifically asked by the writer to critique the first few chapters of a work and the introduction read so arrogantly I gently suggested the writer not toot their own horn but let others praise their work. The response was a scathing critique of my character in one of my short story pieces. I had to laugh, though. The writer was obviously offended that I didn't see the wondrous value of their writing which their family had adored. Seriously, though, in the past we have had horrific comments by some people who eventually left, I think - just horribly negative reviews, sometimes private but sometimes public right there on the article. Your reviews are so the opposite and desperately needed for some of these budding writers. I suggest writing to the author and apologizing but explaining that if they enter the Challenge they *may* receive critiques and if they don't want it they should reconsider entering at all. I don't ask for critiques all the time but I will take them if they are given. Faithwriters is not just a website but a community, and we are here to spur one another on.
:hugs2 Love you girl.

Miss you too, Kara. Hope your visit is fun.

To practice or not to practice? It's been several days since I've picked up my instrument. :violin Better do it. Won't have time tomorrow.

Night night all! Well, until Ryan goes to bed and I get back on.... :roll:

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi everyone, you've been talkative! :) I've been busy working on my proposals. I've had several friends, including Shann, who have been great about giving me prompt feedback, so they've both had a couple of revisions. You remember JC? She's not on the boards anymore but Pup will remember her cuz she was in the very first PeP project, the chat-a-book. Anyway, she just published her book, finally, and it's awesome. But she gave me a critique on Voices of the Dark's proposal that was very deep and very helpful. I did a bunch of rewriting and then sent it to Hanne Moon, who is also good about tearing things apart, and she didn't find hardly anything.

So I'm feeling confident that they are both pretty ready to be looked at by a publisher. As soon as I'm done writing this I'm gonna fix the few grammar things they found and then print them off and have them ready to mail tomorrow. Thanks for all the support and prayers, everyone!

One of my writing friends from church marvels at how confident I am that a big publisher will pick me up someday. I'm not sure if that's a really big ego or if it's a calling from God. I guess we'll find out. But I've been pretty sure for as long as I can remember that someday I'd be, maybe not a best seller, but at least published by a big-name company and have a lot of books out.

CD, that's a lot of food! Amazing your body is holding up even as well as it is. I hope you can rest for a long time after it's put up and recover a bit. I've never heard of melon jelly.

Laura, glad your trip went well!

Kara! Great to see you!

Tiara, glad you got your challenge story in. I had a really fun dream last night that could be made to fit the kitchen challenge, but not sure if I can make time to write it. Once the proposals are done I'll have to catch up on my editing jobs and write my JoE devo and such. It was due on the 10th but they are giving me an extension.

Becky, that sounds like a fun weekend with your friend! :)

Leah, glad you had a nice weekend with hubby, too, and that you've stopped swelling. I enjoy hearing all the baby stories, too.

Pup, glad to see you back. Sorry things have been tough. I know God uses you in a lot of ways, probably more than you realize.

Oh, and speaking of JC and the chat-a-book and all that, Dust is a daddy! He and his wife just got pregnant. He's the one who originally started writing Reaching Sky with me, too.

Shann, hugs. Hard to see you having such a hard time the last few days, but seems like things are a little better today.

Did I miss anyone who posted lately?
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Popping in to say HI! Thinking about entering a challenge soon. I just don't have the inspirations anymore, but hate to let any remote possibility that I can write disappear!

My niece and her family, who currently live in Colorado Springs, are moving to North Carolina in the next few months. At first I was not happy about it, but now accepting that they will be even further away. (It's a job transfer/promotion.)

I'm open to eventually moving there to live, but there are so many logistics to work out. Right now, my mom needs me here. I believe that if it's God's Will for me to live near family, instead of becoming a lonely old woman, then it will work out. :)
Barb Culler

Return to “The Water Cooler”