Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by violin4jesus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks, Laura, for the encouraging words. Like I said, we're well loved by the people in our small group, but it's just the older people who don't seem to reach out other than the "greeting" time during the service. Yet I would love to have older women mentors in my life other than the unsaved ones at work.

I am sorry to hear of your situation too. I have known many a woman to be in that position, and it is a challenge every day. I had one friend who became a Christian after marriage, and she waited a long time until her husband agreed to visit church with her until she started having babies. Her husband is open to her attending church, but sometimes he asks her to stay home from church, which is super hard for her to do. Thankfully her church body is very supportive and she receives a lot of encouragement. It's the church I used to go to when I lived in Tacoma; I still have a ton of friends there.

I got a lot of dishes and laundry done last night but it sure seems like once you start living, they just pile up so quickly! Tonight is my first night shift back, so I took some Benadryl this morning to get a little extra sleep in. I'm up early, but it can't be helped. After tonight I should sleep well tomorrow. I'll just get a nice warm Chai on the way to work to stay awake. I have some baking plans churning in my head which I may attempt if I finish the messy kitchen today. We'll see. I'll start with getting ready for the day and see what happens.

Hope y'all's Monday is starting well. I miss Holly and her fun pictures she used to post for Monday mornings.

JoyAnn
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by JoyAnn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:55 pm

Boooo! Writing an entry tomorrow...did lots of dibble dabble work and cleaning today so that is on the list tomorrow!!! And the idea that come to mind is from one of my books that I have yet to write. So it will be like a super cool super early sneak peak at Summer Violet. hehe love it, but hate these darn hiccups I have right now.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

[email protected]
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

JoyAnn

Post by JoyAnn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:23 am

Seema, I wish there was a like button underneath your "I am walking for brain tumor walk" so I can like it. lol
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

[email protected]
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:56 am

I agree that the churches need to work better at reaching out to others. My pastor works really hard to encourage people to do that, but I find it hard and I'm a way outgoing person. Maybe I have an excuse because it seems like during the greeting time I'm always coordinating interpreting stuff with the rest of the interpreting team or talking to the Deaf people or interpreting, but I think I could make a greater effort to reach out to strangers as often as I can.

My church has been doing formal mentoring programs, where they pair up an older and younger person. You might check into whether your church would be interested in doing something like that, Leah. We had a summer program where we were given study material and questions to prompt our discussion and then we had to meet at least three times during the summer. It was very doable even for busy schedules.

Lauralnm, is your first name Laura or Laural? That book you are working on writing sounds so valuable. I know several people who are in that type of relationship and it is so difficult. Blessings on it and your upcoming meeting time together.

Tiara, I love using parts of my novels for shorts in the challenge. It helps me work out details of the characters that is useful even if I never end up using that exact scene in my book.

Guess what??? I finally got Reaching Sky back from the editor! It's about six months behind the schedule I'd hoped for it. Every single step has been so full of delays. I'd really wanted a contract in hand when I sent in my proposals for Voices of the Dark to give me more credibility, but since I have to send them out this week, that's not going to happen. I'm trying to trust that God has some perfect timing worked out. Anyway, I'm going through the edits and suggested changes now and then hopefully tomorrow or Wed I will have it sent to the publisher who asked to see it. Mostly it's all minor changes I'm needing, like toning down too dramatic scenes or doing a little better showing, but there are a couple of places that I had to skip for now because they are harder. One place she said she felt was anti-climactic and I should expand, but I can't think of any way to expand on it. I said everything I had to say on that scene. :p Would love prayer as I'm working through that stuff and as I'm getting the other book's proposals out. I'm really wanting to land a three-book contract with a big-name publisher for Voices of the Dark and that series. :!:
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 am

Wow, Amy, sounds like you've got quite a lot accomplished on your novel! How exciting to be so close to publishing!

I had officially three deliveries on my first night back. Twins, with the first normal and the second C-section (yeah, really sucks for the poor mom), and another normal delivery later on in the night. It was busy but a good night - lots of helpful experience. My preceptor nurse had lots of tips for me that the day shift nurses never even mentioned which makes my job SERIOUSLY easier! I'm glad to be back on nights, too. I definitely feel a connection with the night shifters I never had on days. And I only got sleepy halfway on the drive home. Of course the night was busy anyway so I never had time to be tired. I went ahead and took Benadryl this morning so I wouldn't be kept up with thinking over the night.

Ryan and I are both off for the next couple days. He doesn't have a ton of homework at the moment but his writing teacher hadn't posted his next few assignments. He doesn't love writing like I do, but he has a decent style, though he definitely needs help with grammar. I just wanted him to take writing for his first college class so I wouldn't need to write all his papers; just edit them at the end. He's also taking psych, which is more interesting to him. Maybe if he's not too busy with homework we can visit the botanical gardens or hit the beach. Or both. :roll:

Okay, I am off to wind down and sleep the day away.

lauralnm
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by lauralnm » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:20 pm

If you go to the beach, Leah, wish I could be a little mouse (well, maybe a little creature of your choice) and wiggle myself into one of your bags and go with you. I absolute LOVE the beach. Am traveling the next few days up North almost to the Canadian border with a friend of mine. Should be great fun. Hope you are able to enjoy some special moments with hubby. blessings, laura

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Tiara I know what you mean about working on a story than getting distracted. I came out to write my story but decided to check emails then got involved in 2 other projects and don't have the energy to write anymore. But then I often tend to wait until the last minute.

Amy why do your proposals have to be in by next week? Is it the deadline of the place your submitting them?

Leah, I've always found a huge difference between day and night shifts. It seems like the night shifts accomplish a lot more because they don't have to deal with administrative junk.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Shann wrote:Amy why do your proposals have to be in by next week? Is it the deadline of the place your submitting them?
The proposals are going to agents and editors who will be at the Oregon Christian Writing conference I'm going to in August. The deadline to get them in is July 25th, but some of them have a limit of how many they will accept, so I need to get them in asap. I'm allowed to send in three, so I have to decide which people will be the best fit. Randy Ingermanson said he'd help me pick, so I'll bring the list to critique group tonight.

Leah, I love nights, too. I wish I got more interpreting work at night. Even though it's not as late, I like doing evening classes.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Yes, the wandering writer returns!

Leah, I'd love to hear any 'violin' stories you have.

Amy, praying for your publishing adventures.

Laura, your book sounds interesting!

Hi Shann, Becky, Tiara! Where's our Pup
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:36 am

We had to put Pup in the doghouse. Becky's keeping guard. :tongue Glad to see you return, did ya get sick of me beating you at word? teehee right if anyone believes that...
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

lauralnm
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by lauralnm » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:35 am

Now, if I can get my brain to thinking of what each one of you talked about. Leah, yes, it is in God's word that the older women mentor the young. It is a shame that the older women are not listening to what God has commanded them to do.

Amy, my name is Laura. lauralnm represents my first name and then the initials of my first, middle and last names. Thanks for asking.

See, now, I'm at a standstill because it is 10:30 p.m. here and my brain has shut down. I do want to thank each and every one of you for the well wishes for my book. The friend who is writing it with me also comes from an unequally yoked marriage. In my instance, ten years into my marriage I accepted Jesus as my Saviour, and as they say, the rest is history. For years, I've been looking for books for guidance in handling certain situations in my marriage. I was counseling with my pastor's wife one day and she said, "you should write a book." So I began jotting ideas down, etc. and then along came my friend and her circumstances are so similar that we decided to write the book together. I will keep you all posted. Again, thanks for the encouragement. blessings, laura

cdawson41
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by cdawson41 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:13 am

Just wanted to drop in and say hello and let you know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth.

There has been so much going on, car broke down and had to be repaired, mom wanted to go pick blackberries which resulted in coming home and making blackberry jelly. Then we were given what felt like a ton of food. 9 bags of carrots were shredded into 17 quart bags and put in the freezer, measured out to the exact number of cups needed to make carrot cake with during this next year. 11 cantaloupes were cut up into bite size pieces and filled two gallon bags. One bag will be for munching and the other bag will be turned into cantaloupe jelly. One huge flat of grapes, daughter pulled them off the stem, washed them and picked out the bad ones. Filled one large container and put in the frig and then filled about 5 smaller ones and put that in the freezer. If you have never had frozen grapes for a quick snack you must try it they are wonderful. 1 large watermelon was cut apart and put through the juicer and have started working on making watermelon jelly, oh how I love that! Still have two cases of zucchini to deal with.

Past that food we are of course still watering and keeping the raised garden beds going. Went to Wal Mart the other day and they had all their rose bushes on clearance so we came home with 6 large rose bushes for a dollar and a quarter each and four double knot knock out roses for just a bit under two dollars each. So that is great on the money side of it, but we haven't had rain here in so long that we have cracks in the yard that are about to make the grand canyon look like a mud hole LOL. Maybe not quite that bad but it seems like it. Finally got 5 of the roses planted tonight and 5 more to go tomorrow.

To top all of that off I'm behind on reading the boards, I'm not keeping up with emails well at all and my body hates me with a passion that you can't put into words. I've ended up having to do a little and take MEDs and lay down, then get up to do a little more and down again. It's quite irritating but I'm not being given much choice in the matter. It's only making getting all of this done take even longer than necessary.

Will try to get caught up on my reading and back in here on a regular basis soon.

Take care everyone.
Cynthia

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Profile Page FaithWriters
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=58736

My Web/Blog Page
http://cynthiad.weebly.com

JoyAnn

Post by JoyAnn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:41 am

So I have to write my entry tomorrow, because I totally spaced today. And I am so happy for you Amy that things are moving forward for you book(s) praying things go well and that you get published so that I can go buy your books!!! Speaking of buying your books I have been meaning to purchase you book you self published. I feel like it will help me so much! Oh, and hello everyone!
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

[email protected]
TiaraJoy's Profile

JoyAnn

Post by JoyAnn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:44 am

Sparrow wrote:
Tiara, I love using parts of my novels for shorts in the challenge. It helps me work out details of the characters that is useful even if I never end up using that exact scene in my book.
Yeah I plan on using it, but idk right now I am still trying to figure out just how these characters are going to be, and their personalities and flesh them out. So this will be good to help me with that, even though it will only deal with two of them and mention others. I think the probably will be getting it at only 700 word hehe.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

[email protected]
TiaraJoy's Profile

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:59 am

I see we're all pretty chatty today. :mrgreen:

Just got off the phone with the nurse advice line for my insurance. For some reason my hands and feet and face are super puffy right now, and my weight is up almost 5lbs. since Monday. It's been seriously warm here the last few days, and the heat is a moist warm thanks to the ocean. But I've never had swelling issues before. She suggested drinking more water and maybe that will flush out the extra fluid. Otherwise my health is good and there appears to be no reason to it. Maybe the busy first night shift was a kick to my kidneys or something...I was on my feet a lot Monday night. :? Weird.

We are taking tomorrow to maybe explore L.A. a little more, maybe check out Santa Monica and the pier and stuff. We're both off, and no obligations. Of course, I do need to fall asleep at a decent hour and not sleep the day away! :lol:

Cynthia, that sounds like so much work, but will be awesome when you get all those fruits and veggies prepped. I've considered getting a chest freezer so we could have more stuff prepped to just pop into the oven or crock. I hate the fact that I'm so dependent on frozen and canned meals, but with my busy schedule, cooking regularly just doesn't happen. I almost need to hire someone just to help me clean. I've done that before and it keeps my house much more organized and I feel like I have time for other things. I feel guilty writing or working out when my kitchen is a mess and there are dishes and disorganized messes everywhere else in the house.

Laura, our initials are switched - mine are LMN. I actually sign it that way at work because it's a little easier to me than LN.

Shann, I really love the night shift feel. I hate it when the doctors and administrators are all up in my business; it's much easier just managing my patients the way that works for them. I have a great success rate with my labor patients when I can do it the way I have found to work best. I believe the day shift is way too aggressive with Pitocin, and rushes into sections so much faster. The one I did last night was more of a crash, for good reason. I feel better about that, than the ones that are done as soon as office hours are over, or before they start. Then my second labor patient did just fine with just a little of Pit; no need to keep turning it up if she's progressing just fine on her own. The night shift nurses are more supportive of that; no one told me to bump up the Pit, not even once. They still pushed me to bathe the baby faster than I would have wanted, but once I'm on my own, I'll handle it the way I'm used to.

Jay, I'm afraid I don't have too many stories. I'll have been playing 22 years this year. I practiced really hardcore when I was 11-17, usually about 3-6 hours a day, depending on what rehearsals I was doing. I soloed with an orchestra twice, once with the Cascade Youth Symphony and once with my high school. The one I did with Cascade I got to play a $150,000 violin, though. That was pretty cool. The viola coach's husband owned a violin shop and she insisted I play on a better violin. It freaked my parents out. They were so paranoid I'd break it. :lol: After high school I moved to college and didn't have the pressure from my mom to practice 3 hours a day anymore, so I slacked off, and eventually gave it up classically. I still played with church and weddings, but didn't really pick it up seriously until I joined the Puget Sound Symphony Orchestra in 2008, a volunteer orchestra in Seattle. I'm hoping to find something similar here. It was way low key and actually enjoyable, not competitive. In high school I was fiercely competitive, and successful most of the time - first chair most of the time. Not so much anymore. I want to play for the pure enjoyment of it. My church people enjoy hearing me play along with the worship, but they don't really know the extent of my training. I'm no serious violinist, but I do play at a professional level when I'm practiced up. My fingers have callous burns from the few hours I practiced this weekend, lol. I'm quite a bit off from lack of practice over the last 13 years. Not so much a fan of Pachelbel's Canon in D, though; too many weddings I've had to play it. What's wrong with the wedding march anyway? :roll:

Ack, I'm gabby tonight too. We finished 24 Season 7 on Netflix tonight and started on Season 8. It's entertaining and a nice way to wind down with Ryan. We'll need a new series to watch in a couple weeks, lol. They have too many forensics shows (I am NOT interested in dead bodies), and Ryan refuses to start on MacGyver. Why not? It's good clean cheesy fun. And he's the only guy who can seriously pull off a mullet. :lol: Maybe the new seasons of Pawn Stars and Billy the Exterminator will be up by then. :wink: Of course the library has several DVDs and series we can check out too.

Yay! Benadryl kicking in. Now that I've shared my life story, you can skip on to the next post. :roll:

Hi, Tazzy!

Return to “The Water Cooler”