Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by Shann » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Congratulations to Cynthia for her HC win :superhappy :superhappy
http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=42978
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by Rebecky » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:27 pm

so now we've got a huge headache and stuff cause one of our neighbors called animal control on us for our dog barking. Apparently you have to have dog licenses for your dogs so we have to do all that and get their rabies shots up to date. blah blah.

The thing that stinks is that our dog wasn't outside all that long and we got reported for her excessively barking, yet the people across the street and the people on the other side of our neighbor have dogs outside 24/7 that bark ALL DAY. Then you have the people behind us that parties and plays loud music at night all the time.

None of them get reported but we do. Just doesn't seem fair.
Dum Spiro Spero

Kalnozoli Kate
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Kalnozoli Kate » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Sorry Becky, life isn''t fair. We did major work in our kitchen and in the process our cooker fell over and broke the glass from our outer door. Ian has been on line for hours trying to find a replacement door. We did this to get rid of our 20 year old oven which was costing a bomb to operate. Life isn't fair but God is good and has all our best interest at heart. We don't have dog licenses here in Latvia or required rabies shots but you can be certain that we will keep Lass's up to date. Most farm dogs are chained 24/7 not our Lass only when she wanders next door and then only for a time as discipline.
Sorry, you have had to go through this though. :sorry
Blessings, Kathleen
"The only thing that can change us, the world, is this~~~all His love." Ann Voskamp

Blog: http://ergliangel45.wordpress.com

cdawson41
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by cdawson41 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Shann

Thank you so much.

Just got home from a dr appt. Had to get injections under both knee caps. NOT FUN! So 'm going to lay down and rest a bit.

Cynthia

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Profile Page FaithWriters
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=58736

My Web/Blog Page
http://cynthiad.weebly.com

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:59 pm

Ouch Cynthia that sounds painful. Hopefully in the long run it will help though.

I think just about every town requires licenses for dogs. Mine doesn't even drive. :sorry (That sounded like a joke Pup would make! :mrgreen: But I know we are supposed to get our dogs licensed. I haven't though we have had Abbey for13 years :oops: The rabies shot are super important where we live which is why I had to push myself to get out on Wed and get the free ones the county offered. When you have 2 dogs and three cats and the shots are $30 each (if not more) It saves a lot of money.

Sometimes neighbors can be hard. We used to have an lol (lil ole lady) live next door but her family decided she couldn't stay anymore so her grandson came. His first gf was sweet but she died in the middle of the night 2 years ago. He is always nice. His dog got loose last year and almost killed Abbey. He got all bitten up too and I made him come in so I could clean the bites and everything.

I asked him if he minded if I walked around the perimeter of his yard on my walks and he was fine with it but then his new gf started staying here and she is NOT fine with it and made a snide comment about Phin getting loose one day. I always have him on a leash cuz he is still a puppy. But he darted out the door and I ran out after him.

When I tried to introduce myself she turned her back and said whatever. Then she had her bf talk to Chris about me walking around in my nightgown. (I mean I have matching underwear so I don't see the big deal) The night gowns are big and flow and what I wear all the time. There a lot like what you might throw over a bathing suit. She was offended by it and didn't want me to walk on their land anymore. I walk through the yards cuz I fall easily and don't want to fall in the road and get run over by a semi. There are 3 neighbors who all gave me permission to walk in the back yards. Now we live in the country so I'm walking well away from the house and the gowns I wear cover me more than her tank tops and shorts cover her.

When they first asked me (well told Chris to ask me) not to go out there my first reaction was well I don't want to share my driveway with you anymore. The driveway and about 2 yards on the other side is ours and we have an easement signed saying we allow them to use it and they have to help maintain it . I really wanted to say sorry I'm offended by your using my driveway.

I sobbed for a whole week over it. But eventually God has allowed me to come to grips. I need to work on respecting her opinion cuz I did just walk down to the mailbox in my gown. But to me it looks like it could be a sundress. It covers my top and shoulders and falls below my knee and isn't transparent. (It's purple too) but I have been trying to pull a pair of shorts on when I go out just because I don't want a feud with the neighbors even though the shorts rub on the part of my leg that is very painful. Not to mention when I put the shorts on I tuck in the gown so it looks like a shirt and then even more of me is exposed. But if I lowered myself to her level and said they weren't allowed to use the driveway I would never be able to reach out to them and possibly invite them to church or something. It's not easy but I believe God has plans.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Kate I guess the bright side is at least it didn't break in the winter. :brrr Sorry it's a pain though. I'm glad to see you pop in. It seems like people have been busy lately and the chatting has died down. So you quiet folks in the background should come out and play. :mrgreen: I miss you all :(
Shann

Shann's Profile

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:45 pm

We knew its important to keep the rabies shots up to date and what not but it is expensive. I think around $20 per shot. I had looked up rabies clinics but they've done all the spring ones.

I don't think we knew that we were to have dog licenses by law. At least that was a new one on me.
Dum Spiro Spero

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:05 pm

now MY dog runs out of the front door and almost gets hit by a car.
Dum Spiro Spero

Kalnozoli Kate
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Kalnozoli Kate » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:22 am

Years ago when my children were children, our collie, Mark (named for a TT rider) started foaming at the mouth, wouldn't eat or drink. The vet said bring him in. So I sat in the waiting area with this 80 lb collie, foaming at the mouth and shivering. Funny, all the other people waiting sat as far from us as the could. Vet puts him on the table opens his mouth and takes out a stick that was stuck to the roof of his mouth. Mark put his paws on the vet's shoulders and licked his face and we had a good laugh. I walked out through the waiting room saying "Rabies all gone now, good dog."

Becky, sorry the shots seem so expensive.

Shann, If I had the funds I would send you some Latvian house dresses, they look like gowns but are meant to wear around the house. Sleeves, or no sleeves bright colors and flowing. I am usually around but not posting because my health is tenuous at best, at times a bit depressed and totally without motivation to engage.
Blessings, Kathleen
"The only thing that can change us, the world, is this~~~all His love." Ann Voskamp

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Kate, the stick/ rabies story made me laugh out loud. So glad it was easily fixed. :lol:

Becky, glad your dog didn't get hit! Maybe the neighbors couldn't tell which house the barking was coming from and just saw your dog so assumed it was him? I know one of our neighbors plays horribly loud music but our lot backs up to like five different other lots, so I have no idea who.

I intended to get a licence for my cat when I moved to the city but I still haven't. :oops: But she does have all her shots.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:35 pm

I finished the book on creative writing! You can buy it now on Smashwords here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/172577 and download it in any format you want for you Nook or Kindle or to read on your computer. Or it'll be available to buy as a paperback in a couple days and will show up directly on Nook and Kindle in a couple days, too.

Bring Your Writing TO LIFE

Infuse your writing with emotion, excitement, and passion.

In this easy-to-use workbook, Amy Michelle Wiley shows you how to bring your writing to life. Instead of telling the simple facts of the story, you will learn how to immerse your reader in the action so they are experiencing the events and full range of emotions along with the character.

Amy teaches the technique commonly called “show, don’t tell” with lots of concrete examples so you know exactly what to do and what to avoid. She covers a range of topics, including the use of adjectives and adverbs, dialogue tags, point of view, and descriptive language. Each section ends with a short worksheet to practice the skills yourself.

This guide is perfect for writers who want to hone their skills, or for teachers to use in the classroom.
Attachments
Writing to Life.jpg
Writing to Life.jpg (7.61 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:06 pm

No we're pretty sure they knew who they were reporting and we're pretty sure it was the people right next door to us. They've done it before.

But today we got them all their shots and their dog licenses so we're all good now.
Dum Spiro Spero

Kalnozoli Kate
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Kalnozoli Kate » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:30 am

Amy the book looks great, well done. Glad you laughed at the rabies/stick story.
Becky congrats on all the i's dotted and t's crossed.
We are moving into haying season. So all hands to the pump or drivers to the Land Rover, in my case. This year we have an additional 3 hectors to cut, given to us free by our neighbors. We are hoping to share with our other neighbors across the road.Ah farm life.
Blessings, Kathleen

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:02 pm

I look forward to read Amy's new book, as soon as I get mom's credit card.

Oh, I finished listening to Hunger Games Book 1. It was pretty good. :thumbs

Yeah, I'm taking out year dates in my YA novel. Also, omiting a few of the "saids." I got some ideas from the novel Lonestar Angel I'm reading. Example: Clay scratched his head. "Who would do that?"
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:14 am

jaybird wrote:Example: Clay scratched his head. "Who would do that?"
Yup, that's perfect. That's one of the things I talk about in my book.

Becky, glad you got the animals taken care of. Did you get an additional fine, or just have to promise to register and medicate them?

Kate, hope the haying goes well. I have been around farms enough to have an idea of how much work it is.
Amy Michelle Wiley

Return to “The Water Cooler”