Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

kahoosbt
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by kahoosbt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:47 am

I haven't been here in ages (sorry about that), but I had to stop in and see whether you got snow, too, Pup. I'm glad you did--even if it was short-lived. We have 4" here right now, but it's already starting to melt. Most likely will be gone by the end of the day, but it's sure pretty right now! :D

Hope everyone's doing well. I keep up a little better on FB than here (but not great there lately, either.)

Shelley

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Hey Shelley! Happy Dance to see you pop in! i miss the days when we all talked on a regular basis. Amy gave me her sore shoulder so I've been feeling really yucky lately. It's been a challenge to even get up and move about. It's super warm here too like in the high 60s. Perfect weather to get back into my walking. But it's been so hard to sit up for more than just a few minutes at a time.

I'm glad you guys got your snow for the day at least. However that probably means in a few days it will move east and my 60 degree weather will drop back to normal March weather.

Pup glad you are still having special time with your kitty. I say you follow Holly and be a rebel and sneak your kitty into your apartment. If your landlord says anything just shrug your shoulders and say Cat, what cat? I have a digital one on facebook. Technology these3 days make things seem so real! He's bound to let you keep it then.

Becky, I had a hard time with my 25 th bday too. Something about being a quarter of a century old really knocked my socks off. (Even though I rarely wear socks) But now I'm going to being facing my half a century bday in a few years! I think that will be tough but the toughest will be between 57-58. There is a long history in my family of people dying the year that they were due to turn 58 or shortly after they turned 58. Several great aunts, and grandparents, my grandfather, my mom and Mom's sister all died during the year of 58. When Mom died I kind of resigned myself that I would die then too but since then I've really worked on having a more positive attitude. I don't want to turn it into a self fulfilling prophecy. There are so many wonderful things on this earth to celebrate. After hearing about Lyd's mission trip I'm even more aware of the wonderful little things. The geese are honking and I got tingles the other day when I heard the first honk!

It makes me think of God feeling quite sad that we take the beauty of his creation for granted. This complex world was created with so much thought. Sure there are the big things like providing food, shelter, that we take for granted But I think when God decided to create geese and owls he had me in mind. He knew they would lift my spirit when I was at my darkest and lowest points. Geese bug my sister because their poop creates a mess in the parks and sidewalks and stuff, but too me I just see goose poop and think wow how cool!

Well I'm feeling weaker by the minute and should be using my energy for things like cleaning up or working on the newsletter. Hugs to all.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by Rebecky » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:10 pm

carpal tunnel sucks! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Dum Spiro Spero

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 pm

Yes it does, Becky :(

Yeah I notice that birthdays are becoming less exciting as I get older. I know if we all weren't spread out across the world we would seriously throw you an amazing surprise party, because you're life is definitely worth celebrating.

If you dont want to be around people you could have a "treat yourself" day. Have someone take you to the nearest mall and you can do things you enjoy, get yourself something special. We all need a day to enjoy what we like and spoil ourselves. Even if its just eating Cinnabon for lunch :wink:
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

srashmi

Post by srashmi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:10 am

Popping in to say hi. This has been a tough couple of weeks, and I know the next few weeks will be more of the same. The one year anniversary of Mom passing is coming up followed by her birthday. :cry: Been struggling a lot with my emotions. Not sleeping. The time change hasn't helped.

In the midst of this, I entered the challenge. Quite the achievement for me. Haven't entered in almost a year. :o

Please continue to keep Pastor Dave in your prayers. He is going to have the bone marrow stem cell transplant sometime in the next few weeks. Last weekend he spoke briefly at church (for the first time since his diagnosis in Nov.).

:grouphug2 and prayers for all of you.

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Hugs Seema!

I can understand. I've been thinking and missing my Poppop more and more recently. Not sure if it's because of my birthday coming up or something else.

I just miss him and still having a hard time coping with him being gone.
Dum Spiro Spero

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:14 pm

I found my cell phone! :thumbs

I know. It may not seem like such a big deal, I hardly use it.. at all.. and I was thinking of getting a new one anyway, but last week when I couldn't find it... I was going nutter. I thought for sure I was losing my brain. (Hush Becky, and quit giggling too. You too Shann.)

I had used it just last month.. (Last month. On my day off. While sitting here at home. Just after washing clothes.) to order a pizza, so I knew it was here.... somewhere. But look as I might, I couldn't find it nowheres. I was really worried.. (and no, not because I thought I was losing it.)

Then today... as it is raining, and there is NOTHING to do here when it is raining... I did laundry again. :?

I found it in my pants pocket, where I put it after ordering the pizza. :roll:

I guess I should do my clothes more often. Or at least check the pockets more. :lol:

Anything good happen to anyone else today? :D
Last edited by JesusPuppy on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:20 pm

:grouphug for Seema and Becky.

I actually have a question for you, if you don't mind answering. I just have a really hard time with knowing what to say after a person has lost someone they love, or are missing that person. What do you guys feel like are the things you would like people to say, or to not say when you are struggling with a loss?

When people are hurting I get so uncomfortable, and its mostly cause I dont know what to say or do, and I'm afraid that what I say or do will just make things worse. Any insight would be appreciated.
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:51 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLY! :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug2 :grouphug2 :grouphug2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :thumbs
Barb Culler

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 am

... :lol: Puppy

Kara, everyone is different so it's tough. For me personally, anything anyone said made it worse. I really don't know what else to suggest though. I guess worse comes to worse the best thing is to just say I'm sorry.

and

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLY!!!!!!!!
Dum Spiro Spero

srashmi

Post by srashmi » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:31 am

Happy birthday Holly! :birthday :party :music2 :birthday :grouphug :birthday

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:08 pm

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLY :superhappy :superhappy :clown :clown :party :party :party :party :birthday :birthday :shiney2 :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:20 pm

PUP How DID YOU KNOW i WAS GIGGLING?

Seema Big Hugs, it is a lot of emotion packed into a few days I am praying for you. Know I'm here if there is anything I can do.

Kara, I think different people grieve differently. Usually just an I'm sorry or I love you and then prayers seems to be the most helpful. Some people want to talk and remember happy times and others don't. There aren't any words to make the pain go away sometimes just a hug is enough. I can tell you what not to say.... Don't say At least she's not suffering, God needed her in Heaven, Well she had a long life In the case of a stillborn or a baby's death or a miscarriage I've actually heard people say You can always have another baby. That one just blows me away. When my grandfather died someone in the receiving line actually asked Grandma if she was going to get married again. And someone else said something like well you've gone through two husbands are you going to try a third? I know it's probably just ignorance but the truth is it does hurt and it hurts for a long time. Time doesn't heal all wounds, sometimes it changes us and our outlook but there are days when almost 19 years later my pain can be as fresh as it was when Mom first died.

The weather here is beautiful. It's been in the high 60s and my three geese are back! I was worried cuz last year I only saw one flying around by himself. I'm not sure if he found his old buddies or if he found new friends
Shann

Shann's Profile

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:07 pm

I don't even like the phrase "I'm sorry for...." Why I didn't cause their death. Maybe a hug and "If you need anything, I'm here for you."

Got me new nurse to fill-in for my Fri/Sat day nurse who is ill. The new gal is nice and is working out. Ugh, now they want one of my night nurses to do an evening Sat shift (2p - 10p) - pray for more nurses.

Mom checked out a dozen + dvds from the library. Started the sequel to the movie "Roots" - pretty good. Also saw the documentary about JFK - I didn't know he had colitis and a bad back.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:47 pm

please pray for my sister-in-law and her family.

First, her sister's kids have a lot of health problems and they just found out that their youngest daughter has Chiari. This makes 5 out of 7 of their children that have been diagnosed with it.

Also, my sister-in-law's moms cousin (not sure whose cousin and how distant- like third or second or what) died today or yesterday not sure when. His name was Sidney and he was 6 months old. He was premature only weighing a pound or so. He was doing really good and I thought I had heard that he was going to go home soon if not did already, but then he got an infection which took his life.
Dum Spiro Spero

Return to “The Water Cooler”