Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

kimhamlin
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by kimhamlin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi all my west coast peeps, sorry I was out for so long before I even got to know most of you! And, I appreciate the follow ups that I received asking about me. You are the absolute sweetest! I've entered a few of the challenges and with doing that, and work, and family...you all know how it is I'm sure.

I have read the prayer requests, I will add them to mine, that's so cool that you all share this stuff with everyone. I'm going to add a few of my own, so I hope you won't mind the intrusion:

--I am definitely not making enough time in my schedule for our Lord. I have even went so far as to PROMISE more time, and I've failed. Thank Him that He's so merciful. Please pray that I persevere in this area. I know that the importance of this is paramount.

--My sister is a "recovering" drug addict who I finally kicked out of my home a couple months ago. I have had custody of her 10 (almost 11) yr old daughter for almost two years now. She is my only sister and although she lives in the same town as we do now, I haven't spoken to her since I kicked her out. I pray for God's will in our family's and in my niece's life in regard to this situation. It's extremely hard not to see her or talk to her, but I just can't allow her to continue to be there and then not be there for my niece, so I've finally realized I had to choose between them. And, my niece is much better off with her not being around and not having to worry about when she will leave again.

--My mother is a heart patient who lives me now. She and I have never been buddies, and her living with me and my husband, and my niece within 1100 sq. ft., has been peachy! Yes, my husband is a saint. I need more grace in this circumstance. It's really hard, but we are grateful since things could be so much worse than they are. I really do try to get along with my mother, but she is unfortunately, supremely negative and bitter. And, I must confess to being just a little resentful of her acting 80, when she's only 60, and the fact that I do blame her for a lot of my sister's current issues with dependence and hypochondria.

Ugh! I'm sick of hearing my words that I'm reading as I am typing them. So, that's enough of that. I do appreciate your prayers and I will continue to pray for all of you. You've got such a strong, great group here and I am so happy that you let me come visit.

Room sounds interesting Amy, but I'm afraid I might have nightmares if it's scary, I don't do well with scary things. I'm a huge baby.

I'm so caught up in the Vince Flynn novels right now, I don't know what to do with myself. The only time that I have to read is at night before bed or when I go to bed, so I've been staying up way too late reading those. Definitely page-turners if you like espionage and spy books. I've also recently read the The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo by Stieg Larson. Imagine my surprise at some of the more risque scenes, since my husband's elderly uncle recommended it to me. I got so embarrassed reading the first risque scene, just knowing he had read it! And, I was all alone when I read it. It's so funny. Anyway, in spite of the risque scenes, the book was hard for me to get into at first, but I'm so glad that I persevered! It was a great story and very different style of writing that what I've been used to reading lately. I recommend it. Well, I need to be writing, thanks for letting me vent!!

I will endeavor to be on more and get to know everyone better, thank you again!!

AnneRene'
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by AnneRene' » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi Guys....K...this is TOTALLY how I feel right now and so I'm taking a long relaxing breath to connect here at my little cozy-corner in this world....I'll share more later, but for now.....

HAMLET.....SO GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK! You cracked me up and scared me too.....EVERYTHING you said, sounds like my life, (or what used to be anyway)....It sounds like you're doing just fine with all of ewes decisions with your sister and niece (I've been in the exact same situation)...as for your Mom.....well....um.....hang in there....I can so relate to that too. Negative and bitter are catchy...dagnabit anyway!....So, keep your inner peace of allowing the Holy Spirit to love her for you when you feel like....um....going crazy. :heehee When this is all over, and it will be one day...you're gonna feel good about what you're doing. AND, yes...God Bless your loving hubby! I also, soooooo understand about stirring up all the yuckies when you talk about it....that's why, I hold back on sharing. I'm waiting until talking about it doesn't get me all stirred up again.

And, Amykins....follow your gut sweetie and don't partake in something for another human being. :)

Beakers Honeykins.....I'm so sorry for yet another "heavy" in your life. That's cool about the t-shirt and it sounds pretty!

Talk to y'all later.....Oh, and I'm just as behind in my Bible reading as the rest of you all...BUT, I will git caught up....I an do it, I can, I can!

BTW Shannikins....what's going on with your eyes....this is my second time asking so I'm sending you "the look!"

K...this heifer's outta here!

kahoosbt
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by kahoosbt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:45 pm

Awww... the little white Maltese looks like Mister Whiskers, the dog we got as a pup for my 10th birthday (although he totally turned out to be my dad's dog! :mrgreen: ) Whiskers lived until I was 27! :) He stayed with Mom and Dad when I left home.

I'm sorry for whatever's stressing / bothering you, Holly. If it makes you feel better to share at some point, fine. If not, that's fine, too. We don't need to know the details to pray! :wink:

I'm praying for the situations you mentioned too, Kim. And also for the situation Becky mentioned (the friends / family of the lady who lost her battle with cancer.)

I just took a short break here to take son to church for youth Bible study and to get a little dinner, then I'm back on my book. My writing's going pretty well, lately. Well, for my s-l-o-w perfectionistic writing style, anyway! :roll: :lol:

Oh--I'm way behind on the Bible reading, too. :( I had been doing well until I did my big push for the two Genesis entries. I don't have that "excuse" now, but I'm still not caught up. I'll keep pluggin' away at it, though!

Shelley

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 pm

kahoosbt wrote:Awww... the little white Maltese looks like Mister Whiskers, the dog we got as a pup for my 10th birthday (although he totally turned out to be my dad's dog! :mrgreen: ) Whiskers lived until I was 27! :) He stayed with Mom and Dad when I left home.

I'm sorry for whatever's stressing / bothering you, Holly. If it makes you feel better to share at some point, fine. If not, that's fine, too. We don't need to know the details to pray! :wink:

I'm praying for the situations you mentioned too, Kim. And also for the situation Becky mentioned (the friends / family of the lady who lost her battle with cancer.)

I just took a short break here to take son to church for youth Bible study and to get a little dinner, then I'm back on my book. My writing's going pretty well, lately. Well, for my s-l-o-w perfectionistic writing style, anyway! :roll: :lol:

Oh--I'm way behind on the Bible reading, too. :( I had been doing well until I did my big push for the two Genesis entries. I don't have that "excuse" now, but I'm still not caught up. I'll keep pluggin' away at it, though!

Shelley
Shelley-Bear....you are such a gentle breeze around here....planted....encouraging and in tune with everyone's witto heart! You're a Blessing through and through! Glad to hear about you working on you Books and staying plugged into the writer's call within you. I wanna be there but for now....one moment at a time....(taking a deeeep breath). Anyway, just wanted to tell you what I've always thought but didn't say.

K....gonna go watch some T.V. to relax...man that's sad, but that's what does it for me right now.

P.S....Hi Jazzy-Tazzy and SweetPea.

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:39 am

kimhamlin wrote:Shann, no worries I don't scare easily.
kimhamlin wrote:Room sounds interesting Amy, but I'm afraid I might have nightmares if it's scary, I don't do well with scary things. I'm a huge baby.
Guess it depends on what kind of things, huh? ;) I didn't find it too scary (though I don't scary that easily anymore--sure did when I was a kid though!). With that young of a kid as the "voice" things are more mellow.

My parents dealt with the addiction/taking care of nieces and nephews thing, too. Sad that it's so pervasive. My mom homeschooled her three kids and my five cousins for a while. Their dad (my Dad's brother-in-law) was abusive and on drugs.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:57 am

Just saw Hamlet is back... Hiya Kim.

Well my first day off was long but good. Got the kitchen and living-room done... except for the boxes... and even part of me bedroom done... Mainly my desk. :mrgreen: Tomorrow I have clothes to do finish the bedroom and make a batch of Marinara sauce. Will work on that in the evening, as it will take about 4-5 hours. I make it from scratch, and it is YUuummmmy.

Now I am actually tired and think I might really fall asleep. Maybe... ok one can dream right. :roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:12 am

Holly. The reason my eyes are blurry are because I've had an eye infection which makes it worse, plus every time I get an outbreak my vision gets worse because I've had the virus inmy eyes and on the optic. nerves. For about 2 years I've had green gunkm my eyes and the meds don't help. I just wanted to make sure you saw itbecause I answered you both times before. :D :coolsign

Shelley you are a sweet calming force!

Amy, just my opinion but I think your should pray of course about your cousin | and if if God isn't telling you No loud and clear go for it. The Relaxation Therapy is often called self-hypnosis and can sound scary but it's not any type of end medicine this might really help and massage isn't a bad.. There's definitely things about pressure pants that work. I know this may sound silly but sometimes I get nervous with new doctors or treatments because I hate to get my hopes up. It's so hard to be disappointed again.

Kim I'm so glad you're beak and I've add your concerns to the prayer list.

Becky. It sounds like you've got some stressfuldays ahead, but it's sweet that you're helpingthe dinner.

I just entered the challenge after a two week break.

Pup you can come clean my house tomorrow if you want but it'll be a lot of hard, hard, work. I'm thinking of just blowing it up when Lyd moves out and start aver with a nice new clean one. :oops: I hope my insurance company doesn't read this :book2 :sofa
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:39 am

THURSDAY~ March 10 Day 69

VERSE OF THE DAY:"And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you? He requires only that you fear the LORD your God, and live in a way that pleases him, and love him and serve him with all your heart and soul."
(Deuteronomy 10:12, NLT)

New Testament: Mark 12:1-27
Old Testament: Deuteronomy 10-12
http://bible.cbn.com/Default.aspx

1. SHELLYKINS *
2. BUTTONS
3. AMY *
4. SHANNIKINS *
5. KARA *
6. BEAKERS *
7. TIARA *
8. SEEMA *
9. PATTY *
10. BOO *
11. HOLLY *

PRAYER REQUESTS

Amy- Low blood pressure, thank you for appt going somewhat well, give doctors the answers she needs, pray it'll continue to go well,help family find a way to keep house and belongings, give them strength to endure waiting

Barb- Let work calm down, help her to realize how important she is , give her a good rest, stress from work, thank you for inspiring her to write again

Becky- Painful back and sore legs, joints, help her get her rest. Thank you for helping her get her permit, please bless her through next stages, Thank you for new laptop, pray for her friend

Holly - To heal hurt from divorce, stress of school and work, give her time for herself and her Lord, Help her figure out which window she should go out of and into something wonderful, bless her with the ability to deal with the stresses of her life.

Ivy - Decisions about school, to feel like she belongs, gets papers written and studies, help her help her friends without overwhelming and hurting Ivy

Kara- Stress with being a Christian Mom, give strength while moving Aidan to Big kid Class, confidence that she is in the right place at the right time.Thank you for keeping Aiden safe during fall

Kate- Enduring harsh winter, worries for Ian's heart if he needs to see a doctor give him the wisdom and strength to go. and her health,

Kim- Give her wisdom in dealing with her, patience with her Mom and Sister, help them with their health problems, give Kim time to spend with her Savior

Lauren-help her get through homework and tests, remind her we love and miss her

Leonie- Work, pressures of being a Christian mom missing her son, give her time and energy to pop in and see us, be with Shaun, help get needed money

Patty- Living situation, problems with children, let her realize how much we need her wisdom here, thank you for an email asking me to say hi for her.

Pup- To get proper sleep,work load be just right, get over bug\ no more dizzy spells, help him to know he is wonderful, give him the gift of seeing himself through ours eyes

Seema- Give her strength as her mother's health continues to decline, help Seema have a moment of peace- a time not filled with worries then give her strength to continue on, Thank you for encouraging friends)

Shann- Knee and joint pain, depression, insurance, remind Shann she is loved and worthy of others love, protect her from even thinking about hurting herself, Bless Chris as he comes to terms with his diabetes

Shelley- Thank you for her calming spirit, bless her as she works on her house and readies herself for her next stage in life, bless her as she writes has stories, give her wisdom to know what why will best serve you with her publishing questions

Tiara- Help her in job hunt, bless her and her parents, give her peace. review her faith and let her find a place of safety to be who she is, strength and wisdom for writing, bless her friend in Iraq as we pray for all in war

Tim- Stress at work, eyesight, good night sleep, remind him how much we need him here, help him to open up to more people

Last edited by Shann on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:08 am

Shann wrote:Holly. The reason my eyes are blurry are because I've had an eye infection which makes it worse, plus every time I get an outbreak my vision gets worse because I've had the virus inmy eyes and on the optic. nerves. For about 2 years I've had green gunkm my eyes and the meds don't help. I just wanted to make sure you saw itbecause I answered you both times before. :D :coolsign

Shelley you are a sweet calming force!

Amy, just my opinion but I think your should pray of course about your cousin | and if if God isn't telling you No loud and clear go for it. The Relaxation Therapy is often called self-hypnosis and can sound scary but it's not any type of end medicine this might really help and massage isn't a bad.. There's definitely things about pressure pants that work. I know this may sound silly but sometimes I get nervous with new doctors or treatments because I hate to get my hopes up. It's so hard to be disappointed again.

Kim I'm so glad you're beak and I've add your concerns to the prayer list.

Becky. It sounds like you've got some stressfuldays ahead, but it's sweet that you're helpingthe dinner.

I just entered the challenge after a two week break.

Pup you can come clean my house tomorrow if you want but it'll be a lot of hard, hard, work. I'm thinking of just blowing it up when Lyd moves out and start aver with a nice new clean one. :oops: I hope my insurance company doesn't read this :book2 :sofa
Well hot-diggity-darn and bless my ever-lovin britches if it ain't Queenie herself (ya like that one?) :heehee
Image (She's from farmville) :)
Me's sorry I missed your responses but ya can't blame a girl for carin! But, I'm so sorry you're suffering with that in your eyes. I can only imagine honey-bunnykins. Ya know....ewes really are one heck of a trooper!

Pup....sounds like you went and moved....did ya and me missed that too? As for the marinara sauce.....uuummmm....uuummmmm.....good! As for maybe sleeping....I SO PRAY you do buddy!

Ok....me's gonna go fight for position in my bed now....and the best part is that it's warm wherever my furry little critters were laying. :superhappy

Niteee-Nite Guys/Peeps/Munchkins! May our Lord Bless each and everyone of us tonight or day for some of ya with an extra special touch of comfort, peace and joy. Luv's Y'all

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:54 am

I found the website of the spa my cousin works at and it didn't give me the creeps at all. It seemed pretty straightforward and didn't have anything weird on it. I think I'll try to do it during Spring Break. Hard to believe it's already that time. Oh, I just realized I don't know the final exam schedule for one of my classes.... better find that out, since the last week is always all different.
Shann wrote:I'm thinking of just blowing it up when Lyd moves out and start aver with a nice new clean one. :oops: I hope my insurance company doesn't read this :book2 :sofa
My family jokes about just throwing everything in the office and our bedrooms out in the backyard for a bonfire and starting all over, too. :heehee My bedroom is really bad... I can barely walk in it and it drives me nuts, but I don't have enough energy to deal with it. It's not like it's full of garbage or anything, but lots of papers and books and clothes I don't use and stuff that doesn't have any home.

Once I get on disability I'd really love to get my own apartment someday. I get along great with my parents and some things are nice about living here, but it would be nice to have my own place, too. I worry about noise from the other apartments and road and stuff, though. My ears are so sensitive. And I'd have to hire someone to come in and do deap cleaning every week or so, too, and cooking would be tough. I can stand to chop things or stir much, but can sometimes manage a crock pot. Before I was so sick I cooked dinner for the family several times a week.... Anyway, lots of hurdles to figure out, but hopefully someday I'll get there. I don't really want to have a roommate because if someone else is going to live with me I might as well just stay here with the family.

My dad is still loving his voice recognition software. He's using it on FaceBook and instant messaging and everything he always used to avoid because he types so slowly.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 am

Mornin' Peeps...Just wanted to start my day and yours with a few uplifting pics!

Image :heehee

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:21 pm

I especially love the sunrise pic over the cragy mountains!

I'm gonna go hang out with my friend Holly and one of our Deaf friends before tonight's work. Then only one class Tuesday and I'll be off for a week and a half! Hope I can get a lot of rewriting done on Reaching Sky.
Amy Michelle Wiley

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm

A whole week and a half... what ever will you do..? OOooo I know, maybe try and REST. You know.... just for a change. :lol:

Got me sauce done, 8 quarts jarred up for later use, and me house is clean. Well I still have the box of boxes to take to the recycle, but that is going to be a real chore. A 7x4x3 foot box filled, and I do mean FILLED, with other boxes.. (cut down and packed in flat) I need to find someone with a truck to haul it across town for me. :roll:

Oh ya I forgot to say, last night I actually slept a whole 4 hours.. in one stretch even. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:23 am

mmm Pup the marinara sounds awesome. I always make my own sauce from scratch too but I like the idea of canning it :D

Ok so I have a bit of a writers question. When reading a novel the author, usually, uses lots of descriptive words in regard to attire and buildings/design. The way they are thrown around it would seem these are common words that everyone should know, but most of the time I haven't even heard of them before. But it seems that to be a good writer you have to have this knowledge. So I guess my question is, where do you learn all these random obscure descriptive words??
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Kalnozoli Kate
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Kalnozoli Kate » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 am

tonguethaid wrote:mmm Pup the marinara sounds awesome. I always make my own sauce from scratch too but I like the idea of canning it :D

Ok so I have a bit of a writers question. When reading a novel the author, usually, uses lots of descriptive words in regard to attire and buildings/design. The way they are thrown around it would seem these are common words that everyone should know, but most of the time I haven't even heard of them before. But it seems that to be a good writer you have to have this knowledge. So I guess my question is, where do you learn all these random obscure descriptive words??
I have been thinking about the same thing and have decided I will find them in the books I choose to read along with a good Thesaurus. Also it depends on who your chosen audience is. Thems my 2 sontimes worth of thinkings. :lol:
Blessings, Kathleen
"The only thing that can change us, the world, is this~~~all His love." Ann Voskamp

Blog: http://ergliangel45.wordpress.com

Return to “The Water Cooler”