Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

IvyKat
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by IvyKat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:51 pm

I gotta keep this short, but thanks, Amy, Becky, Holly, Barb and Pup. I'm feeling better now after talking to Hollypop for 40 minutes. I really appreciate your sweet words. Sorry for freaking out on you. :mrgreen: And just to clarify, it wasn't because someone hurt me. I was reading Romans 9 this morning and decided that if it was true, I would have to totally change the way I thought about God, and I don't want to follow that cruel, capricious God.

...Among other things.... :roll:
~ Ivy ~ Ivypie ~ Sweet Pea ~ Fred ~ Harvey ~ Irving ~ Irvs ~

That Penguin Girl (my blog)

I hear in my mind, all of these voices.
I hear in my mind, all of these words.
I hear in my mind, all of this music.
And it breaks my heart, it breaks my heart.
~Regina Spektor

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:54 pm

You're welcome, Ivy! Now I have to read Romans 9 and see what its about. :lol:
Dum Spiro Spero

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Rebecky wrote:You're welcome, Ivy! Now I have to read Romans 9 and see what its about. :lol:
Me too, and I'm hoping that one of us on here can shed some light on it so that our predestined salvation doesn't make a person feel hopeless about working out their salvation and relationship with God (if that makes sense)

So, hey guys, I just got back from running Bosco at the park and I forgot something 'pitiful' and funny that happened yesterday...at the park.

Okay, ya know the beat up 91 4 runner I mentioned that is my car right now? (I AM thankful I've got it) but seriously...it overheats and smells like there's an ELECTRICAL FIRE going on under the hood when I drive it and I'm always prepared to jump out of it if it and bale if catches fire at a stop light! :heehee ANYway.....the hood doesn't close tight (the latch is missing a big old bolt) and anyway, I could swear that every day it gets worse and is open just a little bit more every day....so anyway, I park, get out of the car and walk over to the curb side to let Bosco out, which I hadn't yet and this guy comes walking up to the front of my car from across the street (kinda fast too) and it scared me, but anyway he looks worried and across the hood from me says "what's your problem" and it was kinda sternish and so I says, "what'a ya mean, what's my problem? I don't have a problem." and he says, "well your hood is up" and I busted out laughing and he looked shocked and I explained it was just broken but I think he thought I was "out there" 'cuz of my laugh :roll:....and Ivy's heard it...she can testify that it's a belly-gut laugh! When he left, I just kept thinking..geesh Lord, you really gotta help me get a car. THAT was just too much.

Garfield...me too on the church. My heart goes out to you because that kind of pain really does leave scars. But Praise the Lord...you kept "pressing on". :) I just SO LOVE THAT SONG you introduced me to!

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:39 pm

OK well here is something I was thinking when I read it.

It says "Jacob I have loved but Esau I have hated."

That is NOT in anyway saying that God hated someone, what it refers to is the nations of Israel and Edom not the actual people/brothers.

hope that helps some. I'll let you know if I find anything else worth mentioning. :)
Dum Spiro Spero

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Ivy, I can really understand how you feel. Often I read the Bible, both the OT and the NT and feel like this isn't really the God I thought I knew. I still struggle with many doubts and just things that seem "unlikely".

I know this sounds like a bit of a cop-out but I really think there are things in this life we won't ever fully understand about God. Its like its says in Romans 9 how we are not capable of understanding.

At the same time, this is one of the main reasons people have a hard time swallowing the truth of Christianity- if God were truly all good and all loving and all merciful why then would he destine people to hell?

The problem is not our understanding of the answer, but really our understanding of the question. Do we really understand the mercy of God? Isn't his mercy so great, that even to save one from the fires of hell is more than any of us deserve?
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Weeeeell....this is what I've got after praying and researching and only "think" it might be right, at least it's what I've digested from what I've read.

1. I believe what Paul is saying is that man cannot 'do' anything to add or take away from God's mercy, He's the potter, we're the clay.

2. When it talks about God hardens whom he wants to harden...the scriptures are clear that man can choose to rebel against God but there is a danger of the man's heart becoming hardened out of his rebellion. I believe that is 'probably' what is meant when it talks about Pharaoh being raised up for God's power to be revealed...it "could" be that God allowed Pharaoh to be raised up in wealth and power, God knowing Pharaoh's heart was hardened and turned away from Him already, so God used him to be an example.

Now....I just want to clarify....I SO don't know anything for sure and am fearful of misrepresenting God's word, but just coming forth with what I "think". Also, we are not reading the original Greek and Hebrew scriptures and there's been a lot of translations, so keep in mind that how "we Americans" word things and therefore the way we "think" about context is probably very off from original texts, WHICH is where we need to walk in faith, trusting God that what our minuscule little minds cannot comprehend, we CAN comprehend that God sacrificed Jesus for us to have eternal life or hell if we reject Him which is very clear.

SweetPea....how does that sit with your soul? and ANYBODY....please don't hesitate to jump in QUICKLY and correct me if you know I am off on this. I truly do fear sharing what I am not certain of but it helps me to not question God in this area. Amen!

kimhamlin
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Thanks Amy

Post by kimhamlin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 pm

I was confused, and ignorant and sleep deprived when I wrote that, about the challenge, thank you for explaining that to me! ugh!

Ivy, Ivy, I know we don't each other, but my heart goes out to you sister in Christ. I don't know what your circumstances were/are, but I've been where you as far as Christianity is concerned. People would be lying if they said being one is easy, it's not. It's the hardest part of my life anyway. It's the every day walking toward something you've never seen before and that no one can tell you about. :)

Thank God you have friends here you can be transparent with, they are great people and it's obvious they love you. These are the ones we can rely on until we arrive kiddo. Try to talk to Jesus about your feelings if you haven't already. If you have, keep doin' it. I'm praying for you tonight, special prayers for your healing and guidance and peace.

If you all would be so kind, please pray for my friend, Linda. She undergoes brain surgery tomorrow and if the surgery is successful, she will have up to a year to live. If it is unsuccessful, her prognosis is just weeks. I am hopeful of her salvation, but am not 100%. That is most important to me of course, but she has a young nephew that loves her dearly that I am also concerned about. I appreciate it new friends.

Sleep deep and peaceful knowing the One that knows you best is holding you in His arms. Good night.

BusBoss

Post by BusBoss » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:25 pm

IvyKat wrote:Sorry for freaking out on you. :mrgreen: And just to clarify, it wasn't because someone hurt me.
I'm glad you clarified that because I was starting to feel really guilty for not coming up there and playing in the snow :roll:

I don't care whether the glass is half full or half empty. I want to know what's in the glass!

One of these days I will stop biting the bullet ... I will put it back in my gun and shoot

BusBoss

Re: Thanks Amy

Post by BusBoss » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:27 pm

kimhamlin wrote:I was confused, and ignorant and sleep deprived ,,,
Hey! That's my job!!

:lol: :wink: :lol:

I don't care whether the glass is half full or half empty. I want to know what's in the glass!

One of these days I will stop biting the bullet ... I will put it back in my gun and shoot

AnneRene'

Re: Thanks Amy

Post by AnneRene' » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:29 pm

kimhamlin wrote:I was confused, and ignorant and sleep deprived when I wrote that, about the challenge, thank you for explaining that to me! ugh!

Ivy, Ivy, I know we don't each other, but my heart goes out to you sister in Christ. I don't know what your circumstances were/are, but I've been where you as far as Christianity is concerned. People would be lying if they said being one is easy, it's not. It's the hardest part of my life anyway. It's the every day walking toward something you've never seen before and that no one can tell you about. :)

Thank God you have friends here you can be transparent with, they are great people and it's obvious they love you. These are the ones we can rely on until we arrive kiddo. Try to talk to Jesus about your feelings if you haven't already. If you have, keep doin' it. I'm praying for you tonight, special prayers for your healing and guidance and peace.

If you all would be so kind, please pray for my friend, Linda. She undergoes brain surgery tomorrow and if the surgery is successful, she will have up to a year to live. If it is unsuccessful, her prognosis is just weeks. I am hopeful of her salvation, but am not 100%. That is most important to me of course, but she has a young nephew that loves her dearly that I am also concerned about. I appreciate it new friends.

Sleep deep and peaceful knowing the One that knows you best is holding you in His arms. Good night.
Oh Hamlet....I am praying with a heavy heart for what Linda is going through and you and all those who love her. Yes, praying for her salvation first and foremost. Sweet Dreams Cutie! BTW....we's appreciates ewe too! :D

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 pm

Oh and hey and hi Butt-Bott! :mrgreen: And btw....I KNEW it was your fault, I juuuuuuuust knew it!

JoyAnn

Post by JoyAnn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:44 pm

Hello, just stopping in, My laptop has died on my, something with the input charger piece....it won't charge and the battery is gone, so I can't use it anymore...though I think my dad is going to talk with Chuck the computer guy, he had the same computer, so he might be able to fix it...we'll see for now I am useing the family computer....and the evil little sister is breathing over me, so maybe i'll get an entry done on here if she hurries and I can get it out before my parents come to claim their room at 9.....wish me luck.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

[email protected]
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:03 am

JoyAnn wrote:Hello, just stopping in, My laptop has died on my, something with the input charger piece....it won't charge and the battery is gone, so I can't use it anymore...though I think my dad is going to talk with Chuck the computer guy, he had the same computer, so he might be able to fix it...we'll see for now I am useing the family computer....and the evil little sister is breathing over me, so maybe i'll get an entry done on here if she hurries and I can get it out before my parents come to claim their room at 9.....wish me luck.
Jazzy Tazzy Terror...SO GOOD TO SEE YOU...have been wondering what ya been up to, how ya been doing and, and, and, well, just missing your "preciousness" around here! :heehee Okay, praying you'll make your 9 PM cut off time and that your computer gets fixed! Miss ya Cutie!!!!!!

kahoosbt
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by kahoosbt » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:04 am

I'm praying for you, too, Ivy! We all struggle with questions and doubts at different times, and I'm glad you shared with us about yours. As Kara said, our human minds are truly incapable of understanding God's ways, so it's easy to see how this can lead to questioning and doubt. He certainly knows and understands that! :)

I'm also praying for Linda. My heart is heavy for all that she is going through, and I pray for peace for her and for Kim and the others who care about her. And most of all I pray for the assurance of her salvation.

Well, if there's any hope of finishing my challenge entry I'd best get back to it. (I am such a perfectionist, getting a story to the point I feel comfortable to submit it takes forever. And, of course, even after all of that they're still never "perfect"!) :mrgreen:

Shelley

BusBoss

Post by BusBoss » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:19 am

JoyAnn wrote:Hello, just stopping in, My laptop has died on my, something ...
:shock:

Died on your what??

:roll: :wink: :lol:

Return to “The Water Cooler”