Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Rebecky
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by Rebecky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:36 pm

I still have a headache... laying down didn't do much. I'm enjoying a cup of tea right now. I bet I will get a nice bruise on my hand.. I was putting something away in a drawer and my palm got in the way and got pinched in the drawer. It hurt really bad and even left a mark.

Sparrow wrote: Becky, I'm always tired, too. I know it's a bummer. When is your jury duty suppose to start?
February unless it gets postponed to a later month.
Dum Spiro Spero

IvyKat

Post by IvyKat » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:02 pm

AnneRene' wrote:
JesusPuppy wrote:
JesusPuppy wrote:A nick-name for Kim.. hummmmm.. Have to think on this one. As we don't know her too well yet, don't want to scare her off, you know. :roll:
Hamlet... ok ok I will keep thinking on it.
As for meself...I LOVE "Hamlet"....how about you Kim-Kim?
And Ivykins....you DO have an appt with the Dr?...right? And your 99.9 effective picture was adorable and NOT inappropriate....so there! As for feeling whacked out....it's just hormones. :heehee
Hamlet is perfect. What do you think, Kim-Kim? Yea? Nay? :lol:

Yes, I went to the doctor this morning. He says I seem to be healthy and I might be dehydrated. I need to drink more water and eat more salt and we'll see if that helps. They did a blood test and an EKG so we'll see if I'm dying probably by tomorrow.

My pepper spray is leaking, so I've spent the last 15 minutes soaking my eye in milk. That's fun. Now I need to sleep some before I get my room clean.

Shenanninkins, no, never had a concussion, although anemia is possible. We'll see. And I'm so sorry about the insurance and not being able to go to the doctor. Hope you feel better. :hugs2
~ Ivy ~ Ivypie ~ Sweet Pea ~ Fred ~ Harvey ~ Irving ~ Irvs ~

That Penguin Girl (my blog)

I hear in my mind, all of these voices.
I hear in my mind, all of these words.
I hear in my mind, all of this music.
And it breaks my heart, it breaks my heart.
~Regina Spektor

kahoosbt
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by kahoosbt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Praying for Shann, Ivy, Barb, Tiara, and Becky (I think I missed someone :( ) Anyway, I hope all of you get to feeling better soon!

I read the passages for yesterday and today. Ugh. Today's OT reading is some of my least favorite sections (Lot offering his daughters to the men who wanted the angels, then later, the daughters becoming pregnant by their father) :( Those are some of the parts of the Bible that I don't think I'll ever "understand" until seen from Heaven's perspective! :) )

I got pictures of the kitchen / dining addition and remodel.

It's hard to believe it's really finished!!! We are so pleased with how it all came out. A "high end" result at ~1/3 to 1/2 of the price it would have been if we had paid someone to just do everything. We did the design, plans, permits, most of the demo, "popcorn" ceiling removal, all of the tiling (and its design), painting, (some of the) finishing, bought all of the materials (shopped for great deals on everything) and acted as our own general contractor (hired subcontractors for what we didn't do ourselves).

Anyway, here is the end result:

This one is looking from the hallway / dining room toward the kitchen.

This one looks the other way...from the kitchen toward the dining room. (I finally got to get out the china--most of which I inherited when John's mom passed away--which has been packed away for 12 years, 'cause we never had a place for it until now! :))

In this one the wood stove / microwave cabinet are to my right and the refrigerator to my left...looking toward the sink, window, tv cabinet etc...

And this one was John's (great!) idea. Across from where the fridge now is we used to have a built in gun cabinet that was built when the house was that we didn't use. So John suggested we remove it and have them build another kitchen / microwave cabinet in its place.

Shelley

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Shelley, That is so beautiful-it books like something one would see in a magazine or Extreme Home Makeover. I can't imagine living in such a beautiful place.

Ivy glad you went to the doctor. Dehydration can definitely raise havoc with your body and it's surprising how easy it 'is to get dehydrated.

So is everyone one going to enter the challenge this week? I'm determined to get us all to enter and then get everyone to comment.

Barb. glad you made it through the work week. First we catch colds from one another now we're throwing out our backs together. Now that's sympathy pains! I believe it's because we are one big mostly happy family.

Becky hope you were able to rest some. It's cool you live close enough to help your Grandma. My grandma was so special to me growing up. I wish my kids had more grandparents. but Chris' parents are great to them.

I need to catch up on the Bible readings I'm a tad behind. I've been playing writs my computer. I need to getup and out of bed. I did make. dinner two nights in a row. My kids don't like pork so I try to get creative. Last night I breaded them with rye crackers. Then I baked them for 40 min and then put fresh sliced tomatoes and Swiss Cheese and put it back in the even for 10 more minutes. It was really good. Q tried them and said it was okay. Lyd wouldn't try them but Chris sard it was really good. Tonight I put a roast in the crock pot with celery and potatoes.

Well, I'm off to think of an idea for my story. I hope Tiara does one this week, with the NaNo, I've missed your entries. This will be Barb's first week in level 2!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Mom and I are home from the grocery store now. I still have a pretty mean headache. Mom is putting groceries away and as soon as she's done I'm going to make dinner. :)

Thanks whoever it was that said they hope I'm feeling better. I never do though lol, just a part of life. I just have to do what Shann's doctor tells her... tough it out. BTW- shann, that isn't right what your Dr. said... I think you need a new doctor. :|
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Actually I really have -a great doctor. It's because I take the pills but they don't work As well As the IVs do but they should. Plus he thinks it's dangerous to poke me so many times (it usually takes 10-15 pokes to get IV in, has taken 30 before) to be better for only 3 months. He's a really good guy and never used to make me come into the office, but most doctors wouldn't do that and I think he's protecting himself by making me come in. I should have gone today. Once he saw me he probably would have admitted me, but I let my panic attack get the better of me. It's really my fault. Most doctors would have dumped me by now but he'd been with me for 12 years. It's hard because he feels like it isn't worth the risk but he's very empathetic.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:21 pm

are doctors allowed to dump patients? :shock:
Dum Spiro Spero

kahoosbt
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by kahoosbt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Shann wrote:Shelley, That is so beautiful-it books like something one would see in a magazine or Extreme Home Makeover. I can't imagine living in such a beautiful place.
We can't believe it, either! We keep going in there to gaze in awe! :lol: (We really do! :mrgreen:) I should dig through and try to find some "before" pictures. The difference is pretty unbelievable. We are so very thankful for how it all turned out.
Ivy glad you went to the doctor. Dehydration can definitely raise havoc with your body and it's surprising how easy it 'is to get dehydrated.
Very true. I went though the dizzy thing a few weeks ago and self diagnosed dehydration. When I started drinking more the dizziness resolved. (I still get a little woozy when I stand up fast, but I've always been that way. My bp tends to be low.)
So is everyone one going to enter the challenge this week? I'm determined to get us all to enter and then get everyone to comment.
I'm a thinkin'... :mrgreen: I hope to get one in, but will try really hard to read / comment on Rest Stop pal's entries whether I get something submitted or not.

Shelley

kahoosbt
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by kahoosbt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 pm

I got this in a email from a friend. I hope no one thinks it's disrespectful...I thought it was funny! :lol:
Dear God: For 2011, all I ask for is a big fat bank account and a slim body.
Please do not mix up the two like you did last year.

Amen
:mrgreen:

Shelley

Iam4Him
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Iam4Him » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:16 am

Holy nightmare! My computer crashed and I just got it (sort of) working again. The Avast anti-virus auto updated and the whole system went ker-plop.

I'll bet you guys didn't even notice I was gone. I'll never get caught up with all these pages, but it sounds like everyone's sick here. I'll say prayers for you guys if you pray for my PC. hehhehheh.

Does anyone remember what the Bible readings were all this week? I know Jan. 1st started with Genesis, but I don't know how far to read and whether any NT stuff is part of the readings.

I gotta try to catch up with FW and the Bible readings-I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...wasn't it a train that said that?

Blessings,
Patty

PS I don't have virus protection, so don't cough in my emails.
They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:00 am

Iam4Him wrote:I'll bet you guys didn't even notice I was gone.
Honestly, I was just thinking as I was headed to look at this thread that we hadn't heard from you or Shelley lately and hoped you were both okay. And look, here you both are! :mrgreen: Good to see you.

For the Bible readings, it's averaging about three chapters in Genesis and one or a half a one in Matthew everyday. I just got caught up, too. We should be done with Genesis 19 and Matthew 6:18 by the end of today.

I agree with whoever said that this part of the story is a little disturbing. But did you notice that God never says Lot and his family were righteous? It seems like he saved them only because they were family of Abram's, and it would have made him sad if they'd been killed.

We have to remember that just because something happened and is mentioned in the Bible, doesn't mean God aproved of it.

My favorite part of the section is "I will be your God". That one phrase means everything.

For the divorce passage in Matthew, it's interesting that the only exception mentioned is cheating on your spouse. Seems to me that physical or substance abuse is just as much or even more dangerous to a family.

The passage about turning the other cheek is hard for me. I was taught not to let people walk all over me, and that it's okay to stand up for myself. And I think it is, but it's hard to know where the line is of times when it's okay to politely but firmly stand up for yourself and when we need to just repay meanness with kindness....

Ivy, glad the doctor said things looked good. Would be nice if your issues could be fixed as easily as a glass of water, huh?

Shelley, so beautiful!!!

Becky, whatcha cook for dinner? Mom's making lamb steaks.

Shann, hugs. Wish the meds worked better. I probably won't enter the challenge this week. I need to work on some PeP stuff if I have energy to write.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:04 am

Wondered what happened to you, Perky. Last time my comp messed up it was an update that did it to mine as well.

Shelley... looking good, so now which room is getting done next?

Praying for all the sickos... me included. Wierd, I feel fine, just seem to have that gunk in the back of my throat.... maybe a bottle brush will help. :roll:

Off for work, see you all at lunch time. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

kimhamlin
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Hamlet will work

Post by kimhamlin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:35 am

Hi Ivy and everyone! Hope everyone is feeling some better.

Hamlet works for me, very cute...and also a great literary namesake, very proud of it, i am!

I've entered the writing challenge for the first time! woohoo! You all better get busy!

Sparrow

Re: Hamlet will work

Post by Sparrow » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:03 am

kimhamlin wrote:I've entered the writing challenge for the first time! woohoo! You all better get busy!
Yay! Fun, isn't it? Wait until you get those golden boxes rolling in (comments). Can be very addicting. Have you had hinting and brick throwing explained to you?

Pup, sounds like it could be allergies.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 am

YAY Kim for entering. It is now a long wait before you find out how you did :(

This was my first week in Intermediate- after an entire year in beginners!!! I don't think the story was that much on topic, but it was an expansion from a little characterization assignment from my Writer's group and was fun to write.

Wonder if the judges read these posts? Hope I was vague enough.
Barb Culler

Return to “The Water Cooler”