To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:27 pm

By the way, my vote constitutes 90 percent of the final tally but I can be bought if the price is right.

May I have your $$ bids for my vote now,
please? :rolling :violin :superhappy :party :orangeyes :music2

Just kidding!
I don't want to influence any of you who vote so I'll vote last. I want you all to be happy. It's the same ole porch, it's just been added on to and it looks purty good for the mild inconvenience it's cost us. It also gives more room for our pets and the extra porch swings and hammocks we've put up.
Last edited by BeachGrandma on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:33 pm

I like the extension myself. Same great people and pets. We're just sticking out a little farther into the yard. Besides, I just got my swing hung up again. I moved it out a couple of feet so I could converse better with y'all. Let's stay here.

And Mariane, I thought our agreement was that the last big payment I sent you was good for a lifetime.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:12 pm

You know, it may be easier to make a poll for this thread so you can all vote here. PLUS, that will save this porch from slipping off the world if everyone ends up back on the old one. I'll set one up now.

Love Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:28 pm

Okay fellow Southerners and Southerners at heart, there's a poll at the start of this thread. So pop back to the first page and cast your vote.

Love, Deb

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Oh thank you, Deb. You've done us all a big, big favor. Especially moi, who is so technology-challenged as to not even register on radar. :thankssign

Mariane Holbrook

Evensong

Postby Evensong » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Inkpen wrote:Rockyyyyy! Man . . . I can't believe you pooped on our new porch. :oops:

You guys watch where you step. Rocky has . . . Oh wait a minute . . . my mistake. It's just pea gravel. :shock:

Don, I was going through Colorado anyway. We found Rocky abandoned on the side of the road up in the Rocky Mountains. Hence the name Rocky.

When we stooped, the poor thing was so scared that he wouldn't come to us, I had to go pick him up. He seemed to be well cared for because there wasn't a flea on him anywhere.

We ran ads in the paper, in the lost and found, for over six months but no one responded. So ol' Rock got a new home. :P

<><

OK, George, listen carefully... When you adopt a pet (no matter what the sad story is :roll: ) YOU are responsible for his untoward behavior! :nono2 Read my lips..NO PEA GRAVEL (or anything else :shock: ) ON THE PORCH! Keep Rocky socially acceptable :roll: or to the gravel pit he goes! This is a respectable establishment around here, ya know! :star2
Blessings, Linda Owen
“...We have seen His glory....” John 1:14 (NIV)

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=8963

Evensong

Postby Evensong » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:47 pm

OK, Mariane! I voted! :typing2 And I got George and Rocky straightened out for ya! :mrgreen:

Oh, boy! Supper's ready! See ya later gators!! :mrgreen:
Blessings, Linda Owen

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Speaking of supper...

I oven cooked a nice turkey breast with mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy and vegges for dinner tonight - just for Carol and me. Topped it all off with a graham cracker crust pie made with French vanilla pudding, cherry pie filling and cool whip.

Lots of leftovers for turkey sandwiches too!

Yumm!

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Oh yum!!!! I wish you lot would all stop talking about food. I've just had a couple of boring rice cakes for lunch (you know, the dry things that taste like cardboard) because Steve and I are going to Sizzlers for dinner. (Want to save room.) So reading about your dinner, Don, is not helping while I wait.

(Shhhh, stomach!! They'll hear you.)

Love, Deb :wink:

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:09 pm

BreathFreshAir wrote:Oh yum!!!! I wish you lot would all stop talking about food. I've just had a couple of boring rice cakes for lunch (you know, the dry things that taste like cardboard) because Steve and I are going to Sizzlers for dinner. (Want to save room.) So reading about your dinner, Don, is not helping while I wait.

(Shhhh, stomach!! They'll hear you.)

Love, Deb :wink:

I've never tried or had the desire to eat cardboard, so I don't know about how that might taste. :mrgreen: Maybe your rice cakes are different than ours.

Actually, rice cakes ( the plain ones) aren't bad for a snack if you spread a nice layer of strawberry jam on them. I'm serious! :wink: Try it!

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:18 pm

You mean you're supposed to EAT rice cakes???? I use them to scrub my pots and pans. They'll last forever and they're cheaper than Brillo soap pads. What a great website. We learn something new here every day. Our rice cakes are stacked next to the soap powder in our grocery stores. I wonder if I should tell the manager they're edible, too. (Nah, he'd say I was making that up. I tend to do that from time to time :joker2

Mariane Holbrook

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:30 pm

LOL. Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong--actually eating them.

Don, I'll try them with jam next time. That may just help. We have corn ones as well, and they are a little nicer, but I'm trying to lose a couple of kilos I've gained over the last few months. One of the downsides of getting older and having a job where you spend a lot of time sitting.

Love, Deb

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Kilos are equal to how many pounds?

I'm making a list of diet facts and observations:

The average person gains 8 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years.

If you go to bed hungry, you'll lose 1 pound overnight. No kidding.

The less you eat, the less you'll want to eat. Definitely true.

(Any more truisms you want to add about gaining and losing weight? Feel free.)

'

Mariane Holbrook

Evensong

Postby Evensong » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:50 pm

Son and DIL fixed us a deee-licious supper of marinated pork chops, Asian mixed vegetables and rice, and topped it off with a (I have no idea how to spell this) caramel machiado (??? It's something you can order at Starbucks and it was um-um-good! Son Phil has an espresso machine.).

Rice cakes, Deb? Well, I like 'em with lots of nutella and blueberry jam. Great for the e-x-p-a-n-d-i-n-g waistline! I love elastic! :heehee

Maybe if I leave off a little of the 'extra' on my rice cakes, my sacro-silly-ac would feel better! :mrgreen: (Thanks for asking, Laurie. I'm getting better little by little. I won't be jumping over pet gates again though! :wink: )
Blessings, Linda Owen

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Kilos are equal to how many pounds?

Matt and I worked that out the other day. He was looking for weights to add to his ankles when he runs so that it's a harder workout (oh to be young again ... although I was never that crazy).

Let me check ...

Okay, there are 2.20462262 pounds in one kilo. So this morning I was 62.5 kilos, which is 137.5 pounds (LOL ... 130 more than my birth weight).

I'm comfortable (for me) at 60 kilos (130 pounds), so I need to lose about 7.5 pounds, which have crept up over the last year. It's not a major thing to look at me, but you know in yourself what you're comfortable with. For me, if I go over the 60 kilo mark, I start to feel it in my knees. According to my height, I'm actually still in the desirable weight range, but right on the edge of it, so I'd feel better moving back to 60, so I was right in the middle again.

Love, Deb

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler