To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:49 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Now to get Deb to drop by!

If I was in the neighborhood, you can be sure I would. :D

Actually, we are getting a new toilet (not the room, just the actual "thing") on the 24th. It was a special offer through Sydney Water (our water supplier), and Steve thought it was too good to pass up as our old one is starting to have a few problems.

He is teasing me that it's my birthday present....

At least, I think he's joking. :shock: :| :cry:

Love, Deb :mrgreen:
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:50 pm

LOL ... just thinking about that last post, Linda, was that worthless enough for the extension?

SisJ
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby SisJ » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi, y'all. Good to be here. Let's see, keep my message worthless. :lol: Well, BettyDee said the same thing about jam and jelly that I was going to say...

Don, I see your message that you must have posted just now, because it wasn't on the page when I hit "post". Nice reminder. I've been feeling thankful we live just far enough from a river that our house isn't in danger of flooding. We do have extra water standing in the hayfield, but nothing significant. How are you and Carol?

Edy, thank you for leaving the lutefisk at home. Now you'll have to tell us what julekaga is. :D

Mariane, you're lucky to have grown out of acne in high school! Well, actually, that seems standard, but.... I and still have zits. Not as many, now, and it clears up for a few weeks at a time, but still. I'm thinking of asking for a perscription for some hexachlorophine facewash; maybe that would help.

Pecan pie is a little too sweet for me. I brought some ice cream, though; that'll go really well with the pie. Chocolate sauce for those of us that aren't having pecan pie or for those that want to try the pie with chocolate. :D

BettyDee, your avatar pictures are always such fun.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." ~ John 1: 1, 14

Evensong

Postby Evensong » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 am

Deb,....I'm feeling a little flushed.

:helpwobble
Blessings, Linda Owen
“...We have seen His glory....” John 1:14 (NIV)

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=8963

kahoosbt

Postby kahoosbt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:07 am

Hey! Can a gal from southern Oregon step up on the porch? How 'bout her dog? Midgie (with me in my avatar) will play with Blue. If he can keep up with her. Bull Terriers have a lot of energy. But she also loves to snuggle in someone's lap. You don't mind a 50 lb. lap dog, do you? :mrgreen:

I dropped in to the other porch to read quite a bit, but hadn't ever posted. So figured with this new one and all it was time to speak up!

Shelley (& Midgie)
ImageImage
NEW! A Different Perpsective on Amazon, B&N, Smashwords
My blogs: Soul Searching Suspense - Indi-e Quality
ACFW Genesis Finalist 2011 (Suspense / Thriller) AND 2010 (Speculative)
2009 FaithWriters Page Turner Contest Runner Up

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:18 am

BreathFreshAir wrote:
Actually, we are getting a new toilet (not the room, just the actual "thing") on the 24th. It was a special offer through Sydney Water (our water supplier), and Steve thought it was too good to pass up as our old one is starting to have a few problems.

He is teasing me that it's my birthday present....

At least, I think he's joking. :shock: :| :cry:

Love, Deb :mrgreen:

When I was a kid back in the days of the out-houses on the farm, we just needed to dig a new hole in the ground and then slide the little old building over it. 8)

No plumbing and no flushing! :mrgreen:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:54 am

ready2go wrote:When I was a kid back in the days of the out-houses on the farm, we just needed to dig a new hole in the ground and then slide the little old building over it. 8)

And I bet everything grew well over what was the old hole. :wink:

Love, Deb

Inkpen

Postby Inkpen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:46 am

BreathFreshAir wrote:
ready2go wrote:When I was a kid back in the days of the out-houses on the farm, we just needed to dig a new hole in the ground and then slide the little old building over it. 8)

And I bet everything grew well over what was the old hole. :wink:

Love, Deb

You betcha, there's lil' pepper plants sproutin' up everywhere. :rolling

:shock: :shock:

uh . . . I'll just go sit over there. :oops:

<><
George

Read My Rubbish

"Nothing torments the mind of a writer more than silence." ~ Me

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:33 am

I don't know what it is about Inkpen's posts, but he makes me literally laugh out loud, or cry real tears!

I gotta take issue with this "worthless" idea somebody had. You're all such treasures that I can't stand to lose anything you buddies write, and I've got my juno account to prove it. I haven't checked lately how many thousand emails I have in my "sent" box, but I'm around 75% full of my 2 giga-byte storage limit. (And, that's the truth!)

Perhaps we can just continue in overflow mode, here, with someone assigned to regularly plant a post at the old porch, when it's fixed, so it doesn't disappear :shock: like another thread did once upon a time.

As for Julekaga, I think I posted a recipe at the old porch. Check it out later when the work crew lets us back in. In the meantime, the violin melody on the end of this link is, to me, the most heavenly ever written---by that great Norwegian violinist Ole Bull (that's Oleee, not just "Ol" like Old Blue). Something definitely not "worthless!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anaQ_cVh ... re=related
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:12 am

Actually, Edy, that's not a bad idea. The larger a thread gets, the harder it is to navigate. If the old porch gets fixed, then it would be easy enough to keep it from falling off the edge. It would just mean adding a poll to the original post. Posts with open ended polls last forever. I could add that, so if it survives the surver meltdown, we can do that so the original porch will be safe ... at least as safe as it can be in a cyber world.

Love, Deb

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:20 am

Thank you, Deb. I'm glad you have such good ideas. I didn't know we could add a poll after the fact. Are you still awake, Mariane?

Which reminds me, did you know writers are nightowls? I even heard something about it on the news. I told hubby, when the phone wouldn't quit ringing, today: "Now you see why I stay up at night---I don't have any interruptions!" 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:24 am

Edy, we would normally be able to, but with the old porch in a bit of a bad way, it's not possible yet. We'll see what happens if it's fixable.

Love, Deb

dub

Postby dub » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:39 am

Real problem with cyber termites on the Southern thread. Keep the wood chips away from the foundation, and get an annual treatment from a bug company.

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:50 am

I was happy to see so many of our Faithwriter family visiting on the porch, especially glad to see our "cousin" Deb from Australia. I hope none of you had to trudge through too much snow to get to our warm, friendly spot. For all newcomers, be advised that Mariane is prone to having our guests stay on permanently and become "porch pals." As we say in the South: Y'all come...don't be a stranger..."set" a spell with us.

Mariane, I'd love to take one of those cute puppies home, but they need a place to run and play, and since we've moved into a townhouse...well...

Deb, you have not truly lived till you've had pecan pie--with or without chocolate. Just beware of our dear Edy's lutefisk.

Don, you bring back memories of the "little house in back of the house" that are best forgotten and make me more thankful than ever for indoor plumbing. Your humor and your spiritual insights make you always welcome.

Betty, you always bring a smile when you step up on our porch.

We need to pray for George, who is to sing at the funeral of a dear friend this week, and there is a request on the prayer thread for prayer for Dee's father. I so appreciate all the prayers from Faithwriter friends and for God's abundant answers when I had back surgery last year.

Linda, I'm glad we could both get back on the porch. I always love to sit in a rocking chair next to you.

Sis J, you know we love you and have missed your visits.

Dub, You call the termite man.

And to all, including each most welcome visitor (pet included), here's a warm southern hug and an invitation; Y'all come back.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

raineysangel
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby raineysangel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:23 am

Just stopping by for a second this morning before starting my chore list at home.

Ms. Verna, If I'm correct and you're the sweet woman who has been such an encouragement to me through your comments on some of my writing lately. . . Thank You.

When I was little, my granny's front porch was always the place to be. My cousins and I would sit on the swing and pretend we were flying over all sorts of fun imaginary places. . . and when they got an inside toilet, that was such a celebration!
Teresa
HerWhitewashedHeart
At My Table

"But kids like us grow up and need our own relationship with God, forged in the heart through time and experience, not draped around us by the church we attend. We need to know God for ourselves, not secondhand." Frank Peretti from his introduction in The Visitation.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler