To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:30 pm

Edy wrote:That might have been the dinner theater (my memory isn't certain, since it was the only time I went to a dinner theater in that area) where a bunch of us military nurses went to see Johnny Cash. We even got to go back stage and meet him and June, and I got a kiss on the cheek from Johnny when he heard I was in Vietnam and enjoyed sharing my desk as a stage for the couple to perform for the troops on our ward ("We got married in a fever!" and more).

That kiss has to be over 30 years ago. Uff da! I have washed my face since then, however. :lol:

Edy, More than likely you attended Cash's show at the old Carlton Celebrity Room in Bloomington. They brought in big-name people to perform. It's gone now, but was once located south of 494 - not too far from the old Met Stadium.

I saw Johnny Cash at the old Prom Ballroom in St. Paul in about 1961 or 1962.

I don't believe the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre ever did those kind of shows, but I'm not certain about that. Maybe they did in their early days. They mostly do Broadway shows and musicals.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:58 pm

Ah, Carlton, not Chanhassen. That sounds like the name I couldn't recall. Thank you, Don! Even though I've lived through so much history, all the changes over time sometimes leave me with blanks where the memory storage should be. :roll:

Maybe I need a new filing cabinet! 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:06 pm

I imagine we've all received these phishing emails, but this one has a funny twist...received by email from a delightful friend:
Born lucky!
Hi, All,
I won a Kenyan lottery according to an email from a Nigerian prince.
He holds the sum of ONE MILLION DOLLARS in my name and he wants to send it to me FREE!

All I have to do is give him my bank account numbers and send him $500.00 US dollars first, to show my good faith so he can transfer the money to my account fer the money!
And then I got ANOTHER email.

It's from a KENYAN prince who wants to give me FREE healthcare for life!
All I have to do is give him
MY BANK ACCOUNT NUMBERS,
MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
and MY CONFIDENTIAL HEALTH INFORMATION
so he can make it happen!

Am I lucky or what?

Of course, my response is -- Yikes! & if you don't give him the info he wants, he'll just tap your phone lines & computers & TAKE what he wants. :shock:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:42 pm

There are a lot of gullible people out there who fall victim to such scams.

A few years ago a friend of mine received a very emotional letter from a "Christian" in Nigeria. The person claimed to run an orphanage in Nigeria, and the kids there were starving for lack of money to supply food.

The letter was chock full of Christian terms and expressions, but most were poorly worded, misspelled, and out-of-context. It was a desperate attempt to convince my friend of its sincerity. The letter passionately asked for a substantial sum of money to be deposited (I don't remember where) so it could be accessible to them.

My friend was ready to do it, but called me to see what I thought about it. She also wanted me to contribute money to the Nigerian orphanage along with her. It took a while, but I was able to convince my friend the letter was a scam directed toward gullible Christians.

I checked with the post office, too, and they confirmed my evaluation.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

deejay

Postby deejay » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:39 pm

My solution is to hit delete for those things. And where applicable, delete and block, or block sender.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:05 am

deejay wrote:My solution is to hit delete for those things. And where applicable, delete and block, or block sender.

That works if the letter received arrives via email, but the Nigerian letter my friend received was delivered via USPS using a hand-written address. It's kinda hard to delete that one.

It gets a bit un-nerving when they put your name and the address of your home on the envelope. Someone over there did some serious research.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:12 pm

In that case, there's a trash can for that.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Don, how did you enjoy the performance last night? It may have escaped the attention of everyone but mine but I noticed you said "tickets" as in plural. Sooooooo, how did you enjoy the performance? LOL

Did I tell you all about my friend on Facebook who fell for the scam you are all talking about and sent $2500.00 to someone in Dubai? I just couldn't believe she fell for that after all the warnings and scams that are sent to all of us.

My grands are back for 5 days. They had a friend over last night for a sleep-over and so nobody got any sleep! But that's ok. They had so much fun even though all the tents and the forts in the living room will take a bulldozer to clean out all their stuff. The joys of grandparenting are great except when it comes to picking popcorn kernels out of the carpet.

:superhappy :superhappy :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:26 pm

I hate those stupid scams. I wish the perps could be caught and jailed, because some people still do fall for them. I got an email once from Sister somebody, claiming to be a Christian, too. She said she singled me out because she believed me to be a kind, Christian woman with a good heart, or something like that, and knew I would contribute to her cause. Can't even remember now what it was. Of course, she wanted my bank account number and a bunch of personal stuff. The message had three or four places to fill in blanks, so I sent it back asking for exactly the same info from "her" - wondering if the person was even a female - because I would need her info to turn into the police. Of course, I never heard back from him or her again.

We are getting a little rain, something we desperately need, but we haven't got much. We really need a good soaking. Prayers appreciated!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:10 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:
Don, how did you enjoy the performance last night? It may have escaped the attention of everyone but mine but I noticed you said "tickets" as in plural. Sooooooo, how did you enjoy the performance? LOL

:superhappy :superhappy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, all of the evening was enjoyed.

The "HELLO DOLLY" performance at the dinner theatre was outstanding, and the dinner was very good as well. The house was packed for the opening night performance.

Oh, my!!! Did I say "tickets" in my previous post? Of course, those who know me would have immediately thought it was a typo. I'll have to be more careful. :?

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:44 pm

ready2go wrote:
Oh, my!!! Did I say "tickets" in my previous post? Of course, those who know me would have immediately thought it was a typo. I'll have to be more careful. :?

Don [/b][/color]

I guess I assumed either Shelley was in town or your son and daughter-in-law were going with you. 8)

I went to the Chanhassen Dinner Theater once. Don't remember what we say. It was before kids, so it was a while ago.

Greg is home from college this weekend. I kinda bribed him. I sent him a text telling him he had a paycheck at Mr Pig Stuff and I could pick him up last night so he could deposit the check in the credit union this morning. It is good to have him home, even if he spent the entire day doing homework while I spent it rearranging furniture. I am moving both boys into the larger bedroom and taking the medium sized room so that the small room, which is almost big enough to use as a bedroom, can be my computer/craft/sewing room instead. I just have one more dresser to move and to set Greg's bed back up. Then of course to organize the craft room, but that will not be today.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Joanney wrote:
ready2go wrote:

Don

I guess I assumed either Shelley was in town or your son and daughter-in-law were going with you. 8)

No, they didn't go with me and I didn't ask them. They didn't even know I was going there. And, no.....I didn't go alone.

Daughter Shelley was working a booth at a huge firefighting convention in Iowa. Son David and dil were busy being part-time "foster parents" for a couple of new rescue dogs/cats they took in for the purpose of prepping them for adoption. They work magic with abandoned/abused animals, and do it quite often.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:16 pm

ready2go wrote:
Joanney wrote:
ready2go wrote:

Don

No, they didn't go with me and I didn't ask them. They didn't even know I was going there. And, no.....I didn't go alone.

Don

Well..................Don. Do we have to pull it out of you? Was it a sister? brother? friend? other? Inquiring minds want to know.... you know! :thankssign
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:25 am

Edy wrote:
Well..................Don. Do we have to pull it out of you? Was it a sister? brother? friend? other? Inquiring minds want to know.... you know! :thankssign

What??? The threat to "pull it out of you" sounds much like serious, heavy-handed interrogation tactics. And, why? Is it only because you "want to know"? That's all? You simply "want to know"??? If that's the case, then just "forget-about-it".

There is no mention of "need to know", or "must know"...just a "want to know" to satisfy inquiring minds. There is a big difference.

Of course, a "must know" requires a "get-inside-my-head" search warrant. If that's the case, then, "bring-it-on". My legal counsel will be waiting expectantly to examine said search warrant.

Oh, by the way...I have no brother. And, my sister hasn't gone anywhere with me for many decades. My dog is A good friend, but probably wouldn't have enjoyed the "HELLO DOLLY" performance.

I rest my case....

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolling :rolling :rolling

You have presented quite a legal challenge, Don. Very legal sounding, anyway, but also pretty funny.

I'm sure you've heard the quote: "Methinks thou dost protest too much." :lol: Right?

So, are we to conclude that if we charge you with having a "date" that you might sue for invasion of privacy? :P
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler