To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Verna wrote:Come on, Don, don't leave us salivating here--what's the sauce and how did you make it?

Here ya go....

My Hawaiian Grilled "Huli Huli" Chicken.

* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 3/4 cup ketchup
* 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
* 1/3 cup chicken broth
* 2 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
* 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
* Juice from 1 can pineapple slices - set pineapple slices aside for grilling

(Note: Recipe called for above measurements, but I decreased all by half)

* In small bowl, mix the seven ingredients. Reserve 1/2 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate.

* Pour remaining marinade into re-sealable plastic bag. Cut 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts in half; add to marinade bag; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

* Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Coat grill rack with oil or non-stick spray.

* Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Baste occasionally with reserved marinade during last 5 minutes.

* If desired, grill pineapple slices on foil tray coated with non-stick spray.

(Note: If grill is too hot, marinade coated chicken will stick and burn)

Enjoy!

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Sounds wonderful--it's in my recipe folder now--thanks Don!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Don, that chicken sounds delicious.

Well, I now am officially the mother of a college student. We moved Greg into his college dorm at the University of Northwestern, St Paul yesterday. Kinda scary and exciting at the same time.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Both of my kids went to Mankato State University, so I remember moving them in and out of the Gage Towers dorm. It was lots of work!

I always had to rent a large trailer to haul all of their "stuff" to Mankato. There were bed lofts, couches, chairs, desks, and more, that somehow had to all be carried up six flights of stairs to upper floors of the building. The elevator was always either out-of-service, or jammed with people and furniture. :(

I don't think I have mentioned this before. There were always some trouble-makers in the large group of kids, and my son was probably one of them. One evening the guys were tossing a football in an upper floor hallway. The ball knocked a sprinkler system head off the ceiling. Of course, large amounts of water came pouring out and cascaded down six stairways to the bottom floor. I was told the multi-level water-falls looked kinda neat.

Then, the cops and fire department showed up. :shock:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 am

Sounds like something my son would do at N.C. State, Don. LOL
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:58 am

I sometimes got in some trouble too, so my son came by it honestly.

One time a classmate and I were shoving each other around on a stairway. Well, we accidently knocked a large canister-type fire extinguisher off of its wall mount brackets.

Needless to say....thick foam sprayed everywhere as the big canister tumbled down the stair steps. Uff da!!!

(There were no witnesses, so we high-tailed it out of there)

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 am

Now, if boys all came with an identical twin...like my baby brothers... Paul claims he got punished more than once for something his brother did. "Petie did it!" "No, Paul did it!" "Petie" was the stinker and the charmer with his smile and mischievous brown eyes. So, the teachers always believed him. Poor Paul. His bashful expression made him look guilty, even though he wasn't, and the added fear factor all contributed to his unwarranted suffering.

The "stinker" even tells on himself that when he once wet the bed, he got up, changed his clothes, rolled his brother over onto the wet side and crawled into the dry place! :lol:

I think he still tries to get by with stuff, 'cause he's always been just so cute. And Paul is still the "good twin" who lends a hand to help everyone in the family, if he's able. He's my special buddy.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:15 am

I have an idea the administration at Nyack College was tickled to death when my DH, John,
graduated and got out of Dodge. I'm not sure if he was part of the small group of guys who stayed at the college over Christmas one year so they could work but I wouldn't put it past him. One of the students had a new VW Beetle and left it on campus while he flew home for Christmas. As soon as he left, the boys started dismantling the car, carrying it piece by piece up 3 flights of stairs to reassemble it in the guy's room. They had almost 3 weeks to complete it but they did and when the kid came back to his room after Christmas, he walked into his room and was so dumbfounded he couldn't even speak. Of course, no one was going to take responsibility for it and risk being expelled from college, so the kid had to hire a bunch of guys to take the Beetle apart in his room, carry it piece by piece down 3 flights of stairs (there were no elevators in that dorm) and reassemble it. It was pretty funny, I admit.

I think it was overkill, though, when the boy left for a weekend (taking his car with him for safekeeping) and came back to find that someone had poured honey all over his underwear and socks in his dresser. Now, that was a MESS.

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:44 am

Ohhh...I've got stories that could be told.

Just wondering here....what is the statute of limitations for past "escapades"?

The word "prosecution" bothers me. :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:01 pm

Not prosecution...but persecution comes to mind! That poor student must have felt bereft of friends, to have to endure such costly-to-him pranks. :cry: I hope he had real friends that came to his aid so he didn't feel like a total outcast (and why didn't the administration call out the boys who relocated the VW to undo their "work?"). I wonder why the other students decided to pick on him in the first place; was he a jerk they thought "deserved" to be taken down a peg? or just an available target? The honey just added insult to injury IMO. Now, I spoiled the fun, didn't I. Sorry, but I rather hope he got even, somehow. 8)

My mom sent us off to first grade admonishing us to look out for anyone being picked on and stick up for him/her. I think that was genius advice which has stuck with me all my life. Funny thing, we were so alert to others' distress that it didn't dawn on me until I was much older that I never even considered that I could be the one picked on!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:40 pm

Yesterday, one of my roommates let me read two issues of Reminesce (sp?) and Good Old Days magazines. They were quite interesting. And there were a few "youthful experiences" in them. The magazines were from the 2003-2007 era, so I had to restrain myself from trying to answer some of the Wanted ads in the back. The editors tell you it can take nearly a year to get your Wanted ad in the magazine, and since these were old, I have no idea how many of the original posters are still alive.

But your "youthful experiences" could be published in those magazines; I know Reiman Publishing is the parent company of Reminesce, and possibly Good Old Days. Might want to check them and see if you can be paid for your memories.

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Oh--those college days. My sweetie and his friends used to play gentle tricks on a blind fellow, who was a little older than the others. He was such a great guy and had an extraordinary sense of hearing. He knew us all by our footsteps and told Leon and me soon after we started going together he could detect love in our steps--and he was right.

Congratulations, Joanney on having one out of the nest and beginning his college career. It's a new era for you!
Verna

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:59 pm

While standing on my deck this morning, I was watching a Great Blue Heron strolling slowly around the shallow water near my shoreline hoping to catch a fishy snack. Suddenly it stopped, and headed toward the beach.

Apparently, a small dead fish had washed ashore recently. Even though herons prefer to eat live fish, the heron picked it up anyway (fishing must have been slow). It began to flip the dead fish around in its beak to orient the fish so it could be swallowed head first. Herons always do that so the fish's fins won't stick in its throat.

The fish must have begun to dry out and was probably a bit crusty from lying in the sun for a while. The heron couldn't swallow it. The fish wouldn't slide down the hatch. At that point in time, the heron dipped the fish in the water a couple of times to provide some lubricating juice. That didn't seem to help. The fish was "baptized" a couple more times, then, it finally started to slip down the heron's throat.

The bad news was that the fish got stuck halfway down. You might know that herons have a skinny neck over a foot long that enlarges - allowing slippery fish to pass through. Well, it stretched, but the fish didn't move any farther. I could see a large lump about halfway down its neck where the fish was lodged.

The heron's neck looked like it had a huge Adam's apple that didn't belong there.

I think the some panic began to set in. Further attempts to swallow the fish were unsuccessful, and it couldn't be coughed up. The heron scooped several beaks-full of water to try washing it down. That didn't work. Bobbing its head up and down, and from side to side didn't help either. A toilet plunger might have worked, but the heron didn't have one handy.

Eventually, the heron gave up and slowly walked away. Of course, it wouldn't be able to eat anything because its plumbing was plugged up. I would think that breathing would be difficult too. The poor thing will probably die unless the fish "softens" soon. When or if it does finally slide down the pipe, the heron will likely be more selective about its meal choices in the future.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:16 pm

What a window on the world you have, Don, and what a story!
Verna

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Don, that happened to a pelican on our community fishing pier here at the beach. The fish must have been huge lodged in his throat, but the fishermen on the pier tried to help the pelican by restraining it, and some brave soul tried to get it out. The pelican was obviously old and the fight was too hard because finally the pelican gave up and died. We all felt TERRIBLE, standing around helpless.

Edy, I understand your concerns about the VW, and the honey poured over the guy's clothes in the drawers. To explain further, none of the boys ever confessed to dismantling the VW so the administration couldn't discipline them. There must have been a strict code of silence among the boys because you couldn't drag it out of them who all was responsible. And since it was Christmas vacation, there were very, very few people left on campus to observe anything.

The other thing was, the guy who had this done to him was indeed a nerd. He was always reporting other students to the Dean of Men for the tiniest violation of rules and loved seeing them get campused or worse. He was arrogant and argumentative and annoyed everyone, even the faculty. The fact that he seemed to have plenty of available cash on hand and plenty of free time didn't set well with 80 percent of the students who had to work their way thru college, some working all night in the steaming hot Gair Box Factory where there was no air conditioning and where they couldn't open any windows because the wind would blow paper everywhere inside the cavernous building. The summer before John and I were married, we worked at that box factory and I fainted dead away from the heat. Macaroni boxes coming down the assembly line were unattended with me on the floor unconscious :-) and were piling up rapidly all over the floor, over me and everywhere. A dear, sweet woman who was built like a sturdy Mac truck tossed me over her shoulder and took me to a storage room that was a little cooler and laid me down on a pile of bags filled with I don't know what (but at least they were soft). When I came to, she was trying to get some water in me and finally said, "Honey, you're too little for this kind of hard work. I'm going to have to let you go even though I know you need this job to stay in college." I only weighed 95 lbs, skinny, and had been living on snack food all summer to save money. So I had to go home to my folks' house 200 miles away where, after a few days rest, I got a job at Burney's farm picking produce in the field all day. But with my folks' help, I had enough to return to college in September!

Now, what all this has to do with Bruce, the guy who had his Beetle disassembled and had honey poured on his underwear and socks, I have no idea. You can sort it out and "Unread" everything that isn't pertinent to the story. ROFL
:superhappy :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling

Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler