To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Joanney
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Joanney » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:26 pm

ready2go wrote:Let's see here...no cooking, but must contain meat?

How about a canned-Spam sandwich?

Wait!!! Is Spam meat? I don't think anyone knows.

(Note: I wouldn't eat that horrible 'made-in-Minnesota' stuff!)

Don

My boys like SPAM. I do not. I tell it stands for Something Posing As Meat, but it is actually meat posing as something, though we are not sure what. It actually stands for SPiced hAM. If you go to the SPAM museum in Austin, MN they hand out SPAMples.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Joanney wrote:
ready2go wrote:Let's see here...no cooking, but must contain meat?

How about a canned-Spam sandwich?

Wait!!! Is Spam meat? I don't think anyone knows.

(Note: I wouldn't eat that horrible 'made-in-Minnesota' stuff!)

Don

My boys like SPAM. I do not. I tell it stands for Something Posing As Meat, but it is actually meat posing as something, though we are not sure what. It actually stands for SPiced hAM. If you go to the SPAM museum in Austin, MN they hand out SPAMples.

A SPAM museum? Are you serious??? Museums are for old stuff. Doesn't SPAM have a "use before date" stamped on the can? (Maybe use before year 2197)

Wait!!! Some actually call it food, but nobody knows for sure. "It" probably never gets moldy or rotten, and maggots won't go near it.

One time a friend of mine tried to fry it, and said it smelled worse than sweaty gym socks after a basketball game.

Maybe SPAM is considered a delicacy in some cultures. Supposedly, Hawaiians eat it when they don't have a pig (imu) to roast in their below-ground pits.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Hormel actually tried to discontinue SPAM after WWII but the vets requested that they continue. Guess they got used to it as part of the K-rations. I've known people that lived through WWII that would not eat it because that was the only meat they could afford during the war.

The name was conceived during a Hormel Christmas party when an employee suggested the abbreviated form of spiced ham. I think the main thing I don't like about it is that it tastes a lot like the canned ham my parents bought when I was a kid. That slimy stuff was the only ham they could afford.

Yes, I took my boys to the SPAM museum when they were in elementary.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Yeah, I remember the slimy canned ham when I was a kid. My grandparents sometimes used it in sandwiches.

Speaking of slimy food items...

Has anyone here ever eaten raw oysters? My grandfather loved 'em. He would buy a fresh pint of those things packed/submerged in their own slimy juice, and slurp 'em down with a spoon. They didn't need to be chewed...they just slid down his throat. He would consume them while I stood watching with wide-eyed amazement.

One time he offered to pay me 50 cents if I ate one. Well, finally I agreed. (Fifty cents was big money to a 1940's kid, ya know)

That slimy, slippery, rubbery thing was awful, but I swallowed it. To this day I won't eat oysters in any form...in soup, smoked, stuffed, baked...nothing!

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:56 pm

And here I wondered why I was following apart! It's because Edy loves me to pieces! And I love you right back the same way, dear Edy. Age bracket--now that's an interesting phenomenon! :)

Don, I'm with you and oysters--served in any way. Years ago we had some friends we were visiting who insisted that we stay for dinner. They had oyster stew. Since trying to eat my way around any oysters, I've always checked the menu before staying for dinner!

I put together a little chapbook of unrhymed poetry about my childhood for a poetry chapbook contest. I enjoyed delving into my memories. I was delighted to be one of the quarter finalists this week. That looks good on my FB author page (Verna Cole Mitchell). But being very practical, that's probably as far as I'll go! It was narrowed from 500 entries to 206 quarter finalists. At the end of August they're narrow it to 30 entries for semi finalists before they pick a finalist. Since my anticipations aren't high, I'm working to make it a little longer and put it on Createspace (with the help of a good friend) and sell it on Amazon. Hope you all are having as much fun as I am working on that!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:02 pm

I think that's wonderful, Verna. I can't wait to hear when (not if) you win first place! Your poetry is exquisite, no kidding.

I remember Spam very well from World War 2 when I was a little girl. Mother tried every way in the world to make it palatable but it never seemed to work. Once she ground it up, with some sweet pickles, added some mayonnaise and called it "ham salad." We ate it because we knew how hard things were just coming out of the Great Depression but none of us ever ate it again. (shiver)

Another product we had during those times was Postum. And another was a thin pudding called Junket. Still another was Ovaltine.

Ah, the memories of another time, another place....
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:56 pm

When we were kidlets out on the prairie, the men's brotherhood would put on an oyster stew supper at church, every year. The soup part smelled so good, that we had to try it (maybe THIS year we'll keep it down!). And, every time we did we spent the night throwing up. We finally figured out that oysters and the preacher's kids just didn't get along!

Verna, we'll just have to hug your pieces back together again! Although, when I look back on the past ten years or so just in my original family, I have to admit we are now the older generation when we can expect things to start "falling apart!" Uff da!

I hope you all had as lovely a Sunday, including sermon, as we did!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:02 pm

No wonder I haven't received any notices! Nobody's home! :cry: Boo hoo!

Well, here's something to bring chuckles to anyone wandering along the path to the Porch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZmV_3Lm_A#t=40
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:39 am

It was not by accident that Israel, as small a country as she is, produced some of the finest, most brilliant minds in about every field (except maybe sports. LOL) In medicine, music, literature, architecture, finance, art, law....they are superior in every way. They are indeed God's chosen people. Now this!

CAN YOU IMAGINE ???
If anyone (and Israel), can 'hang on' long enough ... Israel can 'fix it' .

I hope this becomes available in all countries and medical centers in my lifetime!
If you haven't seen this before it is well worth your time to see what is happening in new methods of surgery. New surgery in Israel -- How exciting. This is quite remarkable. The future of medicine from Israel.

http://www.insightec.com/
http://www.safeshare.tv/w/DTAINyElxY

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :bow :bow :bow
Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Mariane, I remember all those "delicacies"! smile

Edy, as my kids say, "Who you callin' old?"

Our son and wife are coming Saturday to take us to lunch for Leon's birthday this past Monday. Hmm Edy, we are OLD!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Speaking of "old"......

When John's mother was in her mid-70s she was doing some babysitting for a few doctors in the city we lived in about 20 years ago, High Point, NC. She was in demand because she was a devout Christian and thoroughly dependable and the children all loved her.

One day she was sitting on the couch in the living room of one of the families reading to their very small boy. He kept stealing glances at her while she was reading and finally he looked up at her and said with concern, "Mrs. Holbrook, you're getting old. I'll say!"

She smiled down at him and said, "Oh, I don't think I'm getting old."

He reached over and wiggled some hanging flesh under her upper arm and said, "Have you looked at this ???"

She laughed so hard and hugged him. She was very thin but the loose flesh was just part of the aging process.

The next day she called me and said she was at the hospital ER with a broken arm. I asked if she was ok and asked how it happened.

She said, "Oh, I was playing football with Billy on the front lawn and he tackled me."

She was the funniest thing! When she told the ER doctor about it, he roared with laughter. He was one of the doctors she babysat for and loved the story.

She died in 1999. I've really missed her. We were very, very close.
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:38 pm

You write the cutest human interest stories, BeachGrandma. Your MIL sounds delightful. Thanks for the links, too. My, but we can learn a lot on the internet!

Did Don go on vacation? He's been playing hooky for quite some time, I think. :nono2
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 am

Edy wrote:

Did Don go on vacation? He's been playing hooky for quite some time, I think. :nono2

Me? On vacation? Nope...no time for such things. There's been no hooky-playing for me, either!

I just move around so quickly and quietly that no one can catch a glimpse of me - in stealth mode, I am.

Been kinda busy lately...
* I hired a contractor to do some work on the outside of my house.

* I hired an electrician to replace my (7) outside light fixtures.

* I went with the church's senior group for two all-day tours.

* I might wander around our County Fair today and take a spin on the Ferris wheel. Maybe I'll even pet a goat and a chicken. But then, maybe not...goats have fleas and chickens bite! :lol:

* I finally got my beach and yard cleaned up after the high-water flood.

* I got a new water softener installed.

* I invited someone to go out to dinner with me tonight at Axel's restaurant (a very good place!).

There's more, but I don't remember what they were/are - - serious mental slippage. :?

Of course, there's laundry and grocery shopping...plus afternoon naps. My writing has taken a serious hit lately, too.

**yawn**

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Just glad to know you're doing well and having a great summertime, Don. Sounds like you've been pretty busy!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:29 pm

Good for you, Don! Especially the "invited someone out to dinner" part.

I read the article below and was able to hold back the tears until I finished. Then I bawled like a baby sheep.

http://www.lifenews.com/2014/08/07/abor ... ach-other/
Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler