To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:53 pm

One idea pops into my head, Betty. Since my crockpot is my favorite kitchen appliance, I would plug it in outside and slow cook whatever meat you need for including in or alongside a salad, or add veggies in with the meat for a hot meal.

Lately, since I don't feel like cooking when it's hot, either, we've been enjoying Wendy's "strawberry fields" (I think it's called) limited edition grilled chicken and strawberries salad for a supper meal. Yummy!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Let's see here...no cooking, but must contain meat?

How about a canned-Spam sandwich?

Wait!!! Is Spam meat? I don't think anyone knows.

(Note: I wouldn't eat that horrible 'made-in-Minnesota' stuff!)

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 pm

We prefer canned corned beef, Don, but that was a good suggestion! :P
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Edy, one of my favorites is a corned beef and sliced Vidalia onion sandwich. When John fixes corned beef and cabbage, along with corn bread, he saves a couple of slices of the corned beef for a sandwich for me. I'm hungry just sitting here thinking about it. :thumbs :thumbs
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:24 pm

You can't go wrong with a Greek pasta salad, Betty. We make a big one and it lasts for 2 or 3 days in the fridge. The last one we made had cherry tomatoes, green onions, cucumber, chick peas, black olives, feta cheese, crisp bacon, cauliflower. broccoli, shredded carrots, various spices and an Italian dressing. We' like it just as well with a creamy dressing, After it chills for 2 or 3 hours, it's a great meal with a couple of Hawaiian rolls.

Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:21 am

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Happy to see you, Joanney! I continue to be amazed at your thirst for knowledge, especially of things spiritual, as well as your selfless devotion to your boys.

Betty, Too hot is a perfect excuse to eat out! Works for me!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Something happened today that has never happened to me before. I have heard of such a thing, but never experienced it.

I went shopping this morning and since it was close to lunch time, I drove to a drive-up restaurant (Culvers). I placed my order, then drove up to the cashier's window.

The cashier handed a bag of food to me and said, "You're all set to go. Your food order has been paid."

I responded, "What??? Who did that?"

The cashier told me people in the car ahead of me had paid for my order.

Surprised, I said, "But, they just drove away. I'm not able to thank them. Besides, I must pay for my sandwich."

In my rear view mirror I noticed a car behind me. Then, I handed the cashier a ten dollar bill and told her it was to pay toward the lunch bill for the couple in that car. I told the cashier if their bill was less, she could keep the difference.

The act of kindness by the person in front of me was contagious.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 pm

What a wonderful story, Don. I've heard about that happening, but it's never happened to me. Bless you for paying it forward.

Thanks for the no - cooking suggestions, everyone. Don, my Don actually likes Spam. I do, too, if I'm honest, but I like it fried to death.

Edy, I really should use my slow cooker more too, when it's hot out. I use it a lot on Sundays so our dinner is ready when we come home from church. Never thought about putting it outside, though.

Mariane, your salad sounds delicious. Sometimes I make chopped salad for myself, but Don usually eats something else with it, so what's the point? LOL! He's such a meat and potatoes guy.

Our dog had to have a tumor removed today. Vet isn't sure what it is, but we sure hope it's not malignant. We won't know till the lab report comes back. If you're so inclined to pray for non-humans, please say a prayer for her. She's a part of our family.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:21 am

Poor doggy!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:03 am

Oh I will pray. God loves dogs. He made so many of them. They become such family members that it's almost strange but what a provision of the Lord pets are for the elderly, the infirmed, the lonely.

When I was visiting my mother in a nursing home years ago, a new arrival was being brought into the lobby where we were sitting. He was an elderly man who had just lost his wife and was grieving. But what struck me was that he kept saying, "I need my dog. Please, I beg you, let me bring my dog here with me. I can't make it without my dog. We're inseparable and I know he misses me and wonders where I am." He sobbed and sobbed and mopped his face with a big handkerchief. Mother and I were crying, as were the others in the nursing home lobby.

As he was being wheeled down the hall, a staff member came over to us and said, "We have a new kennel here where people may bring their dogs. Although the dog can't live with this man in his room, he'll be able to go out as often as he wishes and is able, to walk his dog, sit with him on the veranda or take the dog into the community room to let the dog sit on his lap for as long as he wants. I suspect the nurse's aide is telling him that now." I was so relieved that nursing homes are finally realizing the health benefits, the emotional benefits there are in keeping a pet near its owner, especially when the owner is so recently grieving over the death of a spouse and having to give up his/her home.
:love2 :grouphug3 :hugs2

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:54 pm

That's so wonderful, Mariane. I'm so glad the man didn't have to be totally bereaved at such a time.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Enjoying just rocking on the porch and nodding in response--but shaking my head about the spam--no, thank you. For my senior year in high school I attended Central Wesleyan Academy--part of Central College at that time. We were instructed to dress up for a special dinner on Friday night. When we entered the candle-lit dining hall, we burst out laughing as Spam was the meat on the table. We had that regularly, and most of us didn't care for it. Needless to say, that was the end of dress-up Friday.

Don, I loved your "play it forward." Our regular waitress at the IHOP we go to twice a week told us this morning that she found $200 stuffed behind the cushion when she was cleaning up last week. She had no idea who had left it or when She told the manager, and he said if nobody claimed it in a week, it would be hers. We were happy she got to keep it, but even happier she chose to do the right thing and report it.

I pray your dog gets a good report, Betty.

Mariane, I have friends who take their dogs to nursing homes for the residents to pet. The dogs are
always welcomed warmly.

Edy, thinking of you and hope you're doing well!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Verna wrote:
Don, I loved your "play it forward." Our regular waitress at the IHOP we go to twice a week told us this morning that she found $200 stuffed behind the cushion when she was cleaning up last week. She had no idea who had left it or when She told the manager, and he said if nobody claimed it in a week, it would be hers. We were happy she got to keep it, but even happier she chose to do the right thing and report it.

Several years ago we went out to breakfast with another couple. The food was great, as was the service. "Bob" and I got the idea we should leave a LARGE tip for the waitress. We left a fifty dollar bill on the table for her.

She came rushing up to us before we could get out of the door and said, "There must be a mistake. You must have thought it was a five dollar bill."

We told her, "It wasn't a mistake. It was hers to keep. We just wanted to do something nice for someone that morning."

The waitress was speechless!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:33 pm

What a great tipper, Don. I can imagine your waitress WAS speechless...and ready to welcome you back again! 8)

Back in the good old days, when I was a teenager, working at the Home Style Café in Hannaford, North Dakota (my friend Pat says she just loves it when I repeat that phrase), I once got a fifty-cent tip for a nickel cup of coffee. That was memorable, too, as fifty cents was my hourly wage!

Verna, you're so sweet to be thinking of me. Actually, it is such a delight to be on the receiving end of people's intercessory prayer that I don't mind one bit if you just make me a permanent resident on your prayer list. I love you all to pieces. Thank you, I think I'm doing pretty well for this age bracket! :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler