To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Verna
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Verna » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Mariane--praying for the hurricane to miss you completely!

The doctor was exceedingly pleased this week with my progress. I asked him if I could take a tub bath now instead of a shower. When he said, "No," I asked him when I could, and he said, "Never." He siad to bury the tub and hang a wreath over it. When I told him how very much I enjoyed a good soak in the tub and how very careful I always was getting out, he said, "Go ahead--we'll be here waiting for you." So I guess I'll have to give that pleasure up!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:16 pm

Verna, I love tub baths, too. But I'm currently stuck with a shower. I would pray and ask the Great Physician about this, and go with that. There have been many times doctors have said such and such is impossible, but God proved them wrong.

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Did the doctor suggest an alternative, like one of those walk-in tubs I see ads for quite frequently? I have no idea how expensive they might be, but you wouldn't have to worry about falling while trying to step over the side of a tub. If you haven't seen the ads, I can go looking for a link, if you're interested.

I am so glad that you are doing well and feeling good, Verna!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 pm

I had to give up baths in a tub several years ago and oh, how I've missed them! When arthritis is flaring up, there's nothing like a warm bath to soothe those aching joints. But your doctor is right in being insistent, dear friend. A fall is something you definitely don't need and could very easily happen when you step into a tub, as slick as it is. We have one of those little chairs that fit in a shower so I can sit there for as long as I like with the warm water hitting my back and shoulders.

I guess we're going to get some rain tomorrow and some high winds but not the hurricane strength that we might have gotten. It's a chore to bring in all the porch furniture and everything else that's outside. But if we're spared a hurricane full-strength, that's not much to complain about.

Love you guys.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:02 pm

They have all kinds of bath mats out there now--I saw one at Rite Aid yesterday that's like a loofah pad; they say it won't slip in your tub or shower. There are also removable grab bars for tubs that fit over the sides. Perhaps you should Google "handicap bathing aids" and see what comes up. If you're a member of AARP, maybe you should join the forums there if you haven't already, and ask members what they've found to be useful.

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Curiosity got the best of me, and I had to go take a look. These certainly are not cheap, American Standard runs from five to ten thousand! Uff da.
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/walk ... aths-6222/

But, Lowes seems to have more reasonable prices ($2000 plus and up), if the quality matches:
http://www.lowes.com/Search=walk+in+bat ... +bathtubs#!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Someday--maybe--I'll think about a walk-in one, but for right now, I'm good with a shower. I am one to follow doctor's orders. ; )
Verna

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Mariane, I came here specifically to see that you were okay. Have been seeing reports of people being evacuated in N.C. Glad everything seems to be okay with you, and hope it stays that way.

Verna, so nice to hear you are making such wonderful progress after your hip surgery. I would not want to give up tub baths, but I know it's necessary for some people. Don had both knees replaced, and he is doing great. It's been over a year since he had the last one done now, and he says he would do it all over again.

Wishing you all a great 4th of July. Don't eat too many hot dogs!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:17 pm

I just finished typing something here and just seconds before I posted it, our power went off and I lost it all.

All I was saying was that the hurricane appears to be passing us by, except for heavy rains and wind which we're used to. The Outer Banks of NC (a group of islands about 150 miles north of us which are just offshore) will likely be hammered tonight. They stick out just enough to be a target for hurricanes. I can't even imagine how much their homeowners, flood insurance and hurricane insurance premiums are but they can't afford not to have them. I heard on the news today that there are about 35,000 permanent residents on the Outer Banks but in the summer the population there soars to over 200,000. I love going there. It's like visiting an island in the South Pacific or something. Very unspoiled and not over-developed, mainly because in some parts the island is so narrow it's barely wide enough for a road. Still, that's where the best fishing is in N. Carolina and our son, Johnny, keeps a boat docked there so he can scoot over from Raleigh where he lives to do some serious fishing whenever he can.

Anyway, I thank God for sparing us but I pray for those at Wrightsville Beach, Morehead City and the Outer Banks who will probably sustain some serious damage tonight.

Betty, I just saw your post. Thanks for inquiring.

Love you all.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:05 pm

May everyone have a safe 4th of July.

I know I will....'cause I was never much into blowin' up stuff. :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:42 pm

As usual, Don, you make me smile--I'm not into blowing up stuff either!

Betty, I'm glad Don's knees did so well. As I understand it, that's even less a picnic than hip replacements!

May the storms of life roll past you all!
Verna

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:26 pm

It's mid afternoon, July 4th, and my dog and I are just sittin' home doin' nuthin' with no plans to partake of any of the holiday festivities offered in my town.

Minutes ago I heard a window rattling roar outside. A squadron of WW2 era war planes had practically scraped the roof of my house. I thought they were gonna land up there, and seriously thought about diving for cover. :shock:

Then, I realized they were circling around about to scare the daylights out of everyone watching the big parade in my city - a perfect set-up for a low altitude bombing run. Hmmm...I hope the pilots were the "good guys". :?

This evening I'll heat up the grill and cook a nice dinner for myself. Let's see here...I'll do a juicy steak and a veggie kabab. My poor dog will have to endure a bowl of her boring, dry dog food.

Unless I get a phone call from someone inviting me to join them for the fireworks display, I'll just stay home to avoid the crowd and traffic.

Over and out...

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

We made it to a pot-luck with church friends and family for dinner, today, even though I woke up aching like the flu. We had some lovely visits. But, now I feel like it should be bedtime, I'm so wiped out.

If we see some fireworks, it will be via tv. Somebody else can serve as the mosquitoes' smorgasbord. I don't like coming home from sitting out under the stars getting all chewed to pieces. 8)

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:22 pm

My church had a block party in our parking lot last night--after work I ran over to Vons and got a couple packs of Tony Roma's ribs and a 2 liter bottle of Diet Pepsi. I wanted to get more, like graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate bars so the kids could have s'mores, but I heard God telling me, "No! Just go!" Man, was He urgent! So the ribs and soda was all I got. There was plenty to eat--it was potluck--and I ate a reasonable amount--one hotdog, a couple of my ribs, a hamburger, a few cookies, soda, flan, and a couple of turnovers--one cheese which looked empty, actually, and one mushroom. Oh, and some potato and macaroni salads. I'd never had flan before, and it was good--just the right amount of vanilla flavor.
We shot off fireworks, too. The younger kids had to continually be told to get back, and one teen held a Roman candle while it was going off. He was given a warning not to do that again. My only regret was I didn't have enough room for chicken, which I've been craving lately, as well as a few other dishes that were brought. When I was younger, I could've sampled everything there. Growing old stinks! And I helped clean up afterwards. Pastor jokingly asked if this was overtime, and I said I don't think so, since I'm on salary.

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:30 pm

All that food sounds so good, DeeJay! I'm glad you had such a great evening.

By contrast, my niece reports her poor dog hasn't eaten for three days, he's so anxious over all the neighborhood fireworks sounds. She's tried everything, creating a haven for him in the basement with other sounds to try and drown out the noise, even caging the cat so it can't eat the dog's food and add to the stress! Poor pets.

Somebody else posted on facebook that the fireworks sounds are stressing for combat veterans, too. I can believe it. The sound of helicopters overhead, day or night, put me back in Vietnam at the 93rd Evac Hospital, where I worked.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler