To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:26 pm

Some of these Little-Known Facts are pretty interesting!

Subject: Little known facts

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

There are more chickens than people in the world.

The longest one-syllable word in the English language is screeched.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.

Dreamt is the only English word that ends in the letters mt.

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies room during a dance.

Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.

There are only four words in the English language which end in dous - tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

Los Angeles' full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina delos Angeles de Porciuncula and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size: L.A.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

In most advertisements, including newspapers, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.

Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

When the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers play football at home, the stadium becomes the state's third largest city.

A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours.

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.

In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Dear Mariane, my first suspicion something was going on with your Facebook account is when Don got a strange message from "you." I immediately told him it wasn't you. The message was just about FB's owner handing out money - kind of harmless as long as the receiver doesn't follow up.

We both changed our passwords; something it's a good idea to do. I know you are aware of this and were helping others change their passwords. Don't worry, Mariane, your reputation won't be harmed. Those that know you understand you are a Godly woman.

As far as FB, I use it to keep up with my family I rarely get to see, and recently, to market my writing. And frankly, for me, its fun. If someone really wants your information bad enough, they can get it from anywhere, even this site. FB is just an easy target because there are so many users.

I can understand those that just don't want to join FB, and certainly, for you, Mariane, why you would deactivate your account. I probably would have done the same thing.

Having said that, I'm not going to let a fear of using any site stop me. I'm a bit of a risk taker, but life is a risk, so there you have it. LOL!

I am truly sorry you had to deal with this, and I hope at some point you might be able to go back to FB. Maybe you could set up a whole new account.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm so sorry, Mariane. I will miss your posts on FB. :sorry :(

Anybody that knows you will know better than to believe you would post garbage.
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:47 am

My dear Mariane, even though your FB account might remain the same, the thief has stolen your identity and your feeling of security, and with his/her evil machination, violated your name. I am praying for peace for you, with the knowledge that God has you in His care in every situation. Love you, dear Friend.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:26 pm

AN URGENT MESSAGE FROM ANNE GRAHAM LOTZ

June 20, 2014

Dear Friend:

As you may know, my husband is in declining health. I am no longer traveling and speaking as much as I have for the last 26 years since I am staying home to care for him. As a result, I have had time to be quiet and listen more to the whispers of the Spirit. He has revealed things to me in the stillness that I'm not sure I would have heard in my former busyness.

One of the things He has impressed on me is that we are living at the end of human history as we know it. In light of this, He has given me some practical assignments. One was to be the Honorary Chair for the National Day of Prayer 2014 this past May. He gave me the message I was to deliver, which was from Joel 1...the Day of the Lord is at hand. It was a message warning that judgment is coming.

Just recently, He has given me another assignment, which is to call His people in our nation to prayer. This assignment came indirectly from a Syrian pastor through a National Day of Prayer attendee. In obedience, I am blowing the trumpet...sounding the alarm...issuing a national prayer initiative entitled 777: An Urgent Call to Prayer. The Call is for God's people to pray for each of the first seven days in the seventh month ­ July 1-7. Then on the 7th day, July 7, we are to pray and fast for 7 hours. The purpose is...

For God the Father to restrain, protect, and deliver His people from the evil that has come into our world.

For God the Son to be exalted, magnified, and glorified in His church, in our nation, and in our lives.

For God the Holy Spirit to fall on us in a fresh way, compelling the church to repent of sin and our nation to return to faith in the living God, resulting in a great national spiritual awakening. 

I'm asking you to partner with me, and send out the word to everyone on your email address list, or who follows you on facebook or twitter. I will be sending out an eBlast this week and next, which you can access at http://www.annegrahamlotz.com/events/ur ... -to-prayer

I will provide a prayer I have written for each of the 7 days to help unite us in one spirit and one voice as we cry out to God. Those who receive the eBlast are invited to sign up for the daily email prayers. Please be assured there is no other agenda in this initiative. This is not about promoting anything or anyone. This is all about calling God's people together to pray, before it's too late, and judgment falls on our nation. 

Please let me hear back from you as soon as possible. Time is short.

Urgently,

Anne Graham Lotz

"Blow the trumpet...sound the alarm…for the day of the Lord is coming. It is close at hand—Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God..." Joel 2:1, 13

Pray! in the 7th month, July
Pray! on each of the first 7 days of July
Pray! and fast on July 7th for 7 hours (of your choosing)

Commit to pray 777: http://www.annegrahamlotz.com/events/ur ... to-prayer/

Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:12 am

Hi y'all !! :superhappy After someone sneaked into my FB account and contacted 2 of my friends, trying to bilk them out of money (very similar to the Nigeria scams which inform people that they've come into $500,000 if only they'll pay taxes on that money to the tune of $15,000). Anyway, I changed my FB name to "Kure Beach Mariane", unfriended my entire friends' list, deleted dozens of posts by friends on my timeline page, and changed my FB password several times. I'll continue to change my password frequently. I feel my account is as secure as it can be. If you want to send me a personal invitation to be your friend, I'll be happy to confirm it. If you'd rather wait a little longer before deciding, I will understand. If you want to mention to any of your FB friends that I'm up and running again with a new name, I'd very much appreciate it. (Hugs)

Mariane Holbrook

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Marianne, I just sent you a friend request!

:superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Thank you, Carole. I'm so glad you did ! :hugs2

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:11 pm

I'm glad we're friends, again, BeachGrandma! 8)

Greetings from Carol GreenLeaves. She sent me an email and asked me to give you all her love. She has been in an "uninspired" writer's slump, lately.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Glad you came back to Facebook, Mariane. I missed you!

Nice that Carol is in touch with you, Verna.

I am supposed to be writing today, but have been jumping around to different sites and playing, instead. Guess I better get busy!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Carol sends me an Email every few days and I keep hoping she can get her FaithWriters problems worked out. She carries a lot of prayer requests for family members who depend on her a great deal. She's known throughout her extended family as a serious and dependable prayer warrior, which is such a great ministry. She continues to have health problems but doesn't let them get in her way. BTW, have any of you heard from Debby. I hope we haven't lost permanent contact with her. I wish I could find the name of her blog to see how she's doing. If any of you still have it, will you post it so perhaps we can contact her?

I hope you all have had a good Lord's Day. Love you much

:grouphug :grouphug3 :grouphug :grouphug2 :loveyou :handshake

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:25 am

Happy Monday to all. I hope your day is going well, and your July 4th week will be even better.

Mariane, thanks for updating us on Carol, and I don't know that anyone has heard from Debby. I hope she's okay.

We had a visit Saturday from our little great granddaughter, who is now 16 months old and a live wire, for sure! She did all the things little girls do--pouted, cried, whined--then turned sunny and smiled and laughed and pranced all through the house--petting the porcelain cat on the hearth and bringing joy to the house.

And here's my praise report. Either my new hip is adjusting well to me or vice versa. I am walking well without a walker, and I got to go to church yesterday! Wednesday it will be four weeks since surgery, and tomorrow I'll see the surgeon. I hope he will be as pleased as I am. I appreciate the prayers you prayed for me. Thank you.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks for the good report, Verna. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Your little great granddaughter sounds so adorable, and seeing photos of her on facebook can see her precious smiley face, too. She still looks so much like a mini-Verna that it makes me chuckle.

We haven't had rain for a couple days, but I have a little trickle on my basement floor from the driest corner that usually stays dry. Either moisture is still oozing up from under the basement, or the humidity in the air (in spite of the dehumidifier) makes the concrete floor work up a sweat. I am now looking forward to an early frost (to kill the swarms of insects around the yard and hopefully give the land time to dry) and a very long Indian Summer for getting chores done in peace and pleasant weather. 8) I know, dream on!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:25 am

Verna, that's such good news. I hope you'll post what the doctor told you on your visit this week.
I know it's a relief to know that from a surgeon's POV, everything is going as planned. God does still answer prayer.

Speaking of rain, if you hear on the news that the hurricane will make landfall near Wilmington, NC please remember that we live at Kure Beach, which is about 15 miles closer to the ocean than Wilmington. We haven't had a hurricane in a long time and we're way overdue for one, but I hope that record goes on for many more years. We live across the street from the beach and since our house was built about 10 years ago, the safety codes in construction were observed and even exceeded them in many cases. Besides, God can throw a safety net over our house and this entire island so my faith in Him is greater than in any building code.
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:56 am

Thanks for alerting us to be on guard duty, BeachGrandma!

I wonder how Don is doing - maybe canoeing around his rainy yard checking up on his favorite critters?
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler