To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Was that on Facebook or did you post it somewhere else, too? My, my the atheists can't stand the truth, can they? I'm glad you liked my elephant and flea. Grin.

Oh, ok. I figured it out. You followed the link and commented on it there, There are some real wackos posting there now. I suppose yours will have to wait a little while to appear. I'll keep checking.

:-)
Last edited by BeachGrandma on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:34 am

I don't know what to do about my sleepless nights. I mean totally sleepless nights. Then the next day I drag and am worthless. If we can put a man on the moon with such ease, why can't "they" put sleep in my eyes in the dark of night when it's quiet, dark, soft mattress, perfect A/C temp and everything conducive to sleep at my disposal? :book2 :book2 :eyes :sleep
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:04 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:
I don't know what to do about my sleepless nights. I mean totally sleepless nights. Then the next day I drag and am worthless. If we can put a man on the moon with such ease, why can't "they" put sleep in my eyes in the dark of night when it's quiet, dark, soft mattress, perfect A/C temp and everything conducive to sleep at my disposal? :book2 :book2 :eyes :sleep

Here's what helped me, Mariane. The first couple years after I got married, I didn't get a decent night's sleep (I wasn't used to sharing a bed!). Then I discovered calcium-magnesium citrate supplements. I took a couple of those at bedtime, and I found myself sleeping soundly. I hope it works for you, too. :thumbs
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Next time someone says there is no God, try asking them if that's so, how did the word God/god get into our language? There are places on earth where snow and ice have never been, and not surprisingly, the natives of those places don't have words in their language for snow and ice. Think about it--what common words do we have that didn't exist a hundred or more years ago, simply because the object they identify didn't exist until the word was created? Look at modern Hebrew--in order to accomodate modern articles, such as computers and baseball, they have to use several words to describe them.
When the Bible was being translated into the Aleutian languages, when they needed to translate the word for camel, they had to go with "this which looks like a young moose calf"; as for sheep, they just went with "sheepi". Anyone who knows a missionary who has had to learn a foreign language can attest to this. There's a story I read somewhere, a missionary was in Africa, translating the Bible into the local dialect. One day he discovered there was no word that translated to "trust". He was puzzling over how to solve this problem when a native walked into the local clinic where the missionary had his office, and sank wearily into a chair. The native said in the local dialect, "Oh, how good it feels to lean my whole weight upon this chair." The missionary heard this and shouted, "That's it!" So he used the local word for "To lean one's whole weight on" for the word "trust".

You should see the comments on Yahoo articles. Some people like to get really offensive, just because they feel they can.

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:25 pm

That's a terrific idea, DeeJay! I've come up with a couple thought prompters, too:
1. Why do we die?
2. Where did the seven-day week come from?

I betcha others have ideas to add to the list, too.

A couple other posters at the youtube link have made some excellent comments in a very thoughtful way, I think, for the atheist audience. They actually, by contrast, show how empty the atheist arguments are.

I've learned to find reactions, like the fellow that called my post "arrogant," actually amusing. It indicates their only arsenal is to attack the messenger and try to intimidate any response that might challenge or educate the lurker on the fence observing the debate. I enjoy taking them on!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:06 am

A couple of these made me cry.

The following stories have wonderful shades of emotions. These are based on true incidences both wonderful and inspirational. These stories will remove some wrong misconceptions that we have about the people and life in general.

1. Today, when I slipped on the wet tile floor a boy in a wheelchair caught me before I slammed my head on the ground. He said, “Believe it or not, that's almost exactly how I injured my back 3 years ago.”

2. Today, my father told me, “Just go for it and give it a try! You don't have to be a professional to build a successful product. Amateurs started Google and Apple. Professionals built the Titanic.”

3. Today, I asked my mentor – a very successful business man in his 70's– what his top 3 tips are for success. He smiled and said, “Read something no one else is reading, think something no one else is thinking, and do something no one else is doing.”

4. Today, I interviewed my grandmother for part of a research paper I'm working on for my Psychology class. When I asked her to define success in her own words, she said, “Success is when you look back at your life and the memories make you smile.”

5. I am blind by birth. When I was 8 years old, I wanted to play baseball. I asked my father- "Dad, can I play baseball?" He said "You'll never know until you try." When I was a teenager, I asked him, - "Dad can I become a surgeon?” He replied "Son, you'll never know until you try." Today after my own successful sight restoration surgery, I am a surgeon, just because I tried!

6. Today, after a 72 hour shift at the fire station, a woman ran up to me at the grocery store and gave me a hug. When I tensed up, she realized I didn't recognize her. She let go with tears of joy in her eyes and the most sincere smile and said, “On 9-11-2001, you carried me out of the World Trade Center.”

7. Today, after I watched my dog get run over by a car, I sat on the side of the road holding him and crying. And just before he died, he licked the tears off my face.

8. Today at 7AM, I woke up feeling ill, but decided I needed the money, so I went into work. At 3PM I got laid off. On my drive home I got a flat tire. When I went into the trunk for the spare, it was flat too. A man in a BMW pulled over, gave me a ride, we chatted, and then he offered me a job. I start tomorrow.

9. Today, as my father, three brothers, and two sisters stood around my mother's hospital bed, my mother uttered her last coherent words before she died. She simply said, “I feel so loved right now. We should have gotten together like this more often.”

10. Today, I kissed my dad on the forehead as he passed away in a small hospital bed. About 5 seconds after he passed, I realized it was the first time I had given him a kiss since I was a little boy.

11. Today, in the cutest voice, my 8-year-old daughter asked me to start recycling. I chuckled and asked, “Why?” She replied, “So you can help me save the planet.” I chuckled again and asked, “And why do you want to save the planet?” “Because that's where I keep all my stuff,” she said.

12. Today, when I witnessed a 27-year-old breast cancer patient laughing hysterically at her 2-year-old daughter's antics, I suddenly realized that I need to stop complaining about my life and start celebrating it again.

13. Today, a boy in a wheelchair saw me desperately struggling on crutches with my broken leg and offered to carry my backpack and books for me. He helped me all the way across campus to my class and as he was leaving he said, “I hope you feel better soon.”

14. Today, I was traveling in Kenya and I met a refugee from Zimbabwe. He said he hadn't eaten anything in over 3 days and looked extremely skinny and unhealthy. Then my friend offered him the rest of the sandwich he was eating. The first thing the man said was, “We can share it.”
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:36 am

Aw, Mariane! I bet I know which ones made you cry, because a couple of them had a similar effect on me, especially #7. :loveyou :hugs2 :loveyou
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:38 am

Sweetie, you're right about #7. After the UPS truck ran over my beautiful golden retriever's back and he dragged his broken body to the front lawn, I ran from the kitchen where I heard him screaming like a baby. It was the worst day of my life. I sat with his head on my lap stroking his head, sobbing, so broken-hearted. I had begged our neighbor to take him to the Vet but he said my beautiful dog was too far gone. It took about 10 or 15 minutes for Murphy to die but he kept looking up at me like he was saying, "Do something. Anything." Those eyes haunted me for years afterward. John and our son Johnny sat up all night with me because I was so traumatized and because I loved Murphy so much. The next afternoon, as usual, I took a walk all around the lake where Murphy and I walked every day. I carried his leash and favorite chew toy. That was my goodbye walk. Oddly, my oldest sister died the same day up in New York State and I had cried so much over Murphy that when I got the call, I couldn't even cry. There were no tears left. I'd used them all up, even the ones in storage....
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:33 am

:( :cry: :( I know what it feels like, Mariane. You probably remember my "Pale Green Sedan" story about our dog Toni, especially.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:32 am

:!: :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Wow, I don't know where to start. Y'all have been chatty.

Verna, I hope your pain has improved by now, or better yet, gone.

Mariane, I looked at the link.I knew Ron Reagan was a liberal, but didn't know he was an atheist. I tried to read some of the comments, but most of them were pretty trollish and/or stupid. I only read a couple that were thoughtful for either side, so I just stopped.

Hope the weather is treating all of you nicely.We have been having some serious hail storms around us, with golf ball and base ball sized hail. So far, our town has escaped them, but we've had them in the past, and they sure can do a lot of damage in a hurry. We do have a chance of storms tonight. We need the rain, just not storms. Please pray if we get anything, it's only rain.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:34 pm

Praying for "just rain" tonight for you all, Betty. I am a little better each day, and I'm so thankful that my hip could be fixed and should be worth the pain. God has been my helper and encourager. For any who have had a hip replacement, you know what a special gift it was for my husband to install a tall commode.--And that's not bathroom humor, but a gift of love!

I loved your long list, I think it was Mariane--so true of so many of those.

So thankful that I know the Savior, and He loves even me.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:49 pm

If you look at the line of kings in the OT, you realize that after Solomon, righteous kings were usually followed by unrighteous sons; sometimes unrighteous kings were followed by righteous sons. Like Solomon said, there is nothing new under the sun. You go back in history for any country that has a family succession in leadership, you will find this same pattern. As for the U.S., we've had good presidents following bad ones, and vice versa.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:13 pm

There are days when I would like to string up my (adult) kids.

Today is one of those days.

'Nuff said...

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:33 pm

ready2go wrote:There are days when I would like to string up my (adult) kids.

Today is one of those days.

'Nuff said...

Don

So, that's why we haven't seen you around these parts for a few days, Don. You've been out with the posse gettin' after those kids. :P Maybe you can just string 'em up by their toes and give them something to think about for awhile. Sorry you're having one of those days! I imagine most parents do, from time to time (although I must admit my kids are perfect - but, I can't claim they take after me, because I did nothing to produce them; I just get to enjoy them) :lol: .
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler