To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Fri May 30, 2014 4:54 pm

BettyDee wrote:

Verna and Mariane, can you tell me a little bit more about the publishing process you have used, or are going to use? If you aren't going through an agent, is it self publishing with a publisher? I hope that made sense. Any info either of you want to share would be great. I am not sure what I am going to do with future books after I complete my trilogy. I'm working on book 3 at the moment, and will put it on Amazon as an ebook. Beyond that, I might want to do something different.

I would like to know those things as well. My book I self published is on Amazon in both paperback and Kindle version, but is not selling there. Because of the zillion books on Amazon, it is not being found in spite of my keywords/search words. After almost two months, the ONLY BOOKS PURCHASED were from friends and family who told me they ordered a copy.

People won't find it if my book is at the bottom of 299 search pages on Amazon. People will only search a few pages before they buy.

I am now convinced books need to be visible on the shelf in a brick and mortar store to be sold. How is that done?

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri May 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Don, is your book enrolled in KDP? If not, it is something you might want to consider. I am not getting rich off my books, in fact, most of the time, it's a tiny trickle, but I have made some spending money.

I don't know how you feel about giving your book away, but I have found that helpful as a promotional tool. KDP only allows you to have five free days in a 90 day period, so it's not as if your book is always free, and you will make nothing. I have found after I do a free promotion, I do get a bump in sales. Admittedly, it doesn't last long, sometimes only a day or two, but at least I am selling something. Without these promos, as you said, I don't think anyone would ever find my books. I'm a firm believer in the free promos, although some people think an author should never give anything away.

Just a few days ago I had a free day for the second book in my series. The following day, it reached number one in spiritual and inspirational fiction for Kindle books. I had to slap myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming, but no, it was right there on Amazon's sight with a number one best seller ribbon on it. I'm convinced the only way anyone found my book was because of the free offer. As people download it, your rank goes up, and your book becomes more visible.There are sites that will advertise your free book, too, at no charge. Something to think about.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Fri May 30, 2014 5:39 pm

HEY!!!

Random stranger lurking here!

I feel like a stranger, I never get any notices, and somehow I keep forgetting to check on my own. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not much going on here. Can't remember when I was last on the porch, but I know it's been awhile.

Did I mention last time I was here about my family FaceBook page? Im really into gen and family history, mainly because I know so little about my family! So I've taken to writing blog type stories on the family page, telling of the stories I've found about family members. It's been fun, but not generating the interest I was hoping among all the cousins. I really want to create a virtual family reunion. Some of us have never met. Especially the younger generation.

But I've gotten a few fun responses. I always knew my paternal granddad was a slack wire walker in the circus, but I never knew until a couple weeks ago that that is where he met Grandma. She was a bareback rider!!

-----------------------------------------------

Thought I'd share my first family history story. It may not make a lot of sense, not knowing any of the names, but.....

Ok, so I’ve set up a family page, so what now? Let’s start with who we are. My paternal line goes back to Harry Lee Pope, Sr. So far I haven’t been able to get any information on his parents. There is a suggestion, thru a page from Aunt Louise’s bible that his father’s name was Frank. Uncle Dick also listed his father as Frank, but also mentioned an older brother named Frank. I can’t find any paper trails to back this up, but I tend believe it because they should know what their granddad’s name is. I also have his mom’s name, Louise, or Lulu/Lula, from a 1900 census report. This report shows that Louise was married to a John Jones, with children being Harry L Pope, aged 16, Charlie B Jones, aged 9, Eddie C Jones, aged 7, and Tibbie Jones, aged 2.

Nobody knows what happened to Harry’s dad or why Louise married Jones. Oh, his name wasn’t actually John H Jones, it was Tiberius Gracchus Jones (Jr). So why the name John? Maybe the census taker didn’t feel like trying to spell Tiberius Gracchus? We don’t know, that’s another family mystery. But we do know his name was Tiberius thru other records. In the 1910 census he is listed as T G Jones.

The Jones family rumor has it that Tiberius was disowned by his VERY famous dad for marrying Louise, which suggests there was a problem with her eligibility to marry, possibly because she was divorced? Here is the senior Tiberius bio:

Tiberius Gracchus Jones born in Powhatan county, Virginia, in 1819, son of Wood Jones, of Nottoway county, Virginia, and his wife, Elizabeth Trent (Archer) Jones, the former named a kinsman of John Winston Jones, speaker of the house of representatives, and the latter a member of the well-known Virginia family of Archer. After completing his preparatory education, he entered Richmond College, and in 1842 matriculated at the University of Virginia, where he remained for one session, then became a student at William and Mary College, where he received the honor, which he had also received at the University of Virginia, of being the valedictory orator of the literary society. He held many positions of responsibility and was regarded as a strong preacher, a learned writer and a sound thinker. He was elected president of Wake Forest College, North Carolina, and of Mercer College, Georgia, which positions he declined, and he was also elected president of Richmond College. Among his well known works are: "The Duties of Pastors to Churches," and the "Great Misnomer, the Lord's Supper Called the Communion." At the time of his death he was a resident of Nashville, Tennessee.

Dr. Jones was vice president of the Southern Baptist Convention for several sessions (1874, 1877, and 1878) and Vice-President of the Board of Trustees of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He was the preacher of the introductory sermon before the Virginia General Association on three occasions. In 1873 he preached the introductory sermon before the Southern Baptist Convention.

When Richmond College was reorganized after the Civil War, Dr. Jones became the second President of the College, being elected to that office on August 24, 1866. Along with the Presidency he held the Chair of Moral Science, and also taught English for two years. He was an excellent teacher – remembered by his students for his brilliant lectures and his striking presentation. He guided the College successfully through a critical period.
His heart, however, was really in the pulpit, as he was, above all else, a preacher. During his third year as president, he received a call to return to the Freemason Church in Norfolk, where he was pastor when he accepted the position at Richmond College. He accepted the call on August 29, 1869. Dr. Jones was also a Trustee of Richmond College; was elected to the Board while he was President of the College, and continued to serve as a Trustee until he moved to Tennessee in 1871.

In 1919, Mr. Archer G. Jones established at the University of Richmond “The Tiberius Gracchus Jones Memorial Scholarship” in honor of his father.

He was married on November 7, 1848, to Miss Jane Chandler Reins of Richmond. He married as his second wife Miss Martha Ridley of Norfolk, Virginia. He died June 27, 1895, in Richmond at the home of his son-in-law, Mr. John B. Jeffress. Funeral services were held at the residence. He is buried in Hollywood Cemetery.
- Excerpted from Hackley, Woodford B., Faces on the Wall - Brief Sketches of the MEN and WOMEN whose PORTRAITS and BUSTS were on the campus of the University of Richmond in 1955, Virginia Baptist Historical Society, 1972.
One little not so PC tidbit, but remember, they lived in Virginia, the Gracchus family were slave owners.

So, you can see that divorce was probably NOT acceptable, but we may never know the real reason for disowning his son. I’m not sure of Louise’s parent’s either. The names and dates I’ve been given for them say they died before she was born. Maybe they are her grandparents? No paper trails there, either.

So, we begin with Harry Lee, born Jan 1, 1884, in Indianapolis, IN. I spent several hours in the Indianapolis Archives Library a few years ago and couldn’t find any trace of them. Harry married Edna Florence Hancock, born Aug 6, 1892, in Princeton, Kentucky. I have LOTS of family info on Edna, in fact, I can trace her family back to the Revolutionary War. My intention is to take my paperwork and go the local DAR and get it verified. When I do so, that means all the gals in Edna’s line will qualify for membership. Doesn’t mean a whole lot, unless you’re into history, but they do give college scholarships.
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri May 30, 2014 7:00 pm

That is impressive work, Carole! It sure helps to have parents and grandparents who told us family stories and peaked our interest to pursue more. I don't know that we have anyone famous enough to be written up in any historical context, such as you have. But, every discovery is such fun, shedding light on lives remote from today's world and our own lives.

Keep up the good work! Someday your cousins will appreciate your findings, I'm sure.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri May 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Hello, random porch visitor Carole. Nice to see you. I adore genealogy and have spent literally years studying my family and ancestors. It is so much fun reading about their lives and researching what life was like in their time. I have also done my DNA and found out an interesting thing or two.

Do you belong to ancestry.com? Helpful site and totally worth the price.

Thanks for sharing your family story. I have many connections in colonial Virginia. Maybe we're related. Who know?

Edy, did you feed Ole Blue? I wasn't sure, so I fed him. He acted hungry. If you did, he got an extra meal today. :lol:

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri May 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Sorry, Betty, I haven't seen Old Blue in a coon's age. I'm glad you fed him, as I think he may have found hospitality in another neighborhood, where the visitors are more regular than us Porch Pals. :shock: Poor pooch. I hope nobody gets charged with neglect. Uff da!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Sat May 31, 2014 2:00 pm

Nah, don't worry, Edy. He belongs to all of us. There's always somebody who will feed him. :wink:

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Sat May 31, 2014 7:34 pm

Yes, I do belong to Ancestry, spend a lot of time there, :superhappy :superhappy
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:47 am

I"m not into geneology, but I'm impressed by those who are. I love the name I was told was one of my great, great, (maybe one more great :D ) grandmothers--America Snodgrass. Welcome back Carole.

Don, you can join Goodreads and give away a couple of print books there. That's good advertising. I know you don't like Facebook, but that's also a good place to get the word out that you have a book on Amazon. I must admit that for both of my books sales have fallen off the cliff dramatically! There is a site called "Fussy Librarian" that has a place for inspirational books.

I'd appreciate prayer by my porch friends for this Wednesday, when I have a hip replacement. I'm hopeful after this that I won't walk with pain in every step. It's especially bad now because I've had to go off Celebrex. For the record, I'm not quite so young as those prayed for on the porch this past year. :D

And a special Good Morning to my dear friend, Mariane!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:01 pm

Verna wrote:I'd appreciate prayer by my porch friends for this Wednesday, when I have a hip replacement. I'm hopeful after this that I won't walk with pain in every step. It's especially bad now because I've had to go off Celebrex. For the record, I'm not quite so young as those prayed for on the porch this past year. :D

And a special Good Morning to my dear friend, Mariane!

Thanks for letting us know, Verna. I will add you to our congregation's prayer warriors' watch list. Rest in the joy of knowing the Great Physician is on the case and will be guiding the hands of the health team! :grouphug3 :grouphug3
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Allison

Postby Allison » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:40 pm

OH, most definitely praying for you, Verna! Praying that your recovery is as quick and easy as possible, with no complications or setbacks.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Verna, My daughter had a hip replacement done 14 months ago. She told me just yesterday it was one of the best things she ever did.

Yes, I'll be praying for a quick recovery for you.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Dear Friends, I appreciate your prayers.

Betty, I'm sorry I missed your question. I've been a little rattled lately. I don't know if that is for just now or all the time!

I proof fora good friend, Lorraine, who has an editing business, MagnificoManuscripts.com. She edits for me. (Actually, we often trade work.) It's always necessary to have a second pair of eyes to check behind you, even if you're a good proofer yourself. Then I hire graphic designers for the formatting and preparing the cover. For my first two books, I hired my granddaughters and was very pleased with their work. They sent the work to Createspace at Amazon, where the books were published. My granddaughters are too busy with their jobs, plus their babies now, to do graphic design work, so the in the future, I'll probably use graphic designers Lorraine works with. I could probably do more for myself if I were more technological savvy.

I did have my books reviewed on several blogs and did some giveaways on Good Reads, and of course I promoted it on my FB page and FB author page. I would never make a salesman because I hate to bother people! I had createspace prepare my first Kindle--which is much better than the second which I prepared. Both of my books are in a serious lull! I think next week, I'll try the KDP giveaway. (I gave away way too many of both books!) If you did not do your book with createspace, there is a great deal of information about it to check out.

I have just completed a chapbook with poems of my childhood and entered it in a contest. It probably won't win, so then I'll see about publishing it. (How's that for confidence?) Also I have a third book of variety of poems nearly completed.
Verna

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:43 am

Verna, don't feel bad, I am just now getting back here and seeing your prayer request. Of course I will pray!

I am signed up with Create Space and at some point will probably do hard copies of my books. Before I do, I may need to change my book covers. I am not really satisfied them, although they have been changed once already. Like you, I need to hire a graphic designer. I do have my books edited and/or proofread. Invariably, I miss mistakes.

Thanks for answering my question.

Hope all my porch pals are having a great late spring. It feels like the middle of summer here with temps over 100. This time of year, I just tighten my seat belt and hang on, because I know it's going to get VERY hot.

Out to tend to my watering chores. Y'all behave.

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:46 am

Thank you for your prayers. Surgery went well. Hope to heal fast. Hugs to all.
Verna

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler