To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby deejay » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:42 pm

And life just keeps getting interesting out here in the OC. Yesterday was my day to do my laundry and housework, after which I ran a couple of errands and had lunch out. I was sitting in front of the TV watching the news, when the power went out. Southern California Edison told my roommate Diane, who went out to ask the lineman parked nearby, when the power would be back on. He said "half an hour." This was around 12:30 p.m. . The power didn't come back on until a quarter to midnight, over 11 hours later. A transformer up the street had blown. We were grateful we had a gas range and water heater, so we could use the stove, though we had to use matches to light the pilot (electric ignition). I managed to take my shower before it got dark. I ran up the street to get a couple cans of soup and a soda--didn't want to open the fridge. We had a couple of flashlights, plus plenty of candles.
Then my roommate Becky--4'11", at least 300 lbs.--slipped and fell in her room, and I was the only one who could lift. Fortunately, Becky managed to get up mostly by herself. But she needs to make some decisions about her lifestyle and diet--she eats very large portions, and very high fat foods. She claims to have a certain medical condition, but I once looked up medical conditions with obesity as a symptom, and not only were they all accompanied by a galaxy of other very obvious symptoms, one of the most common symptoms was mental retardation, and Becky isn't by a long shot. She's just food addicted.
By the way, I'm not skinny, either--5' 7" and near 200 lbs., and I like to eat too. The other day I was so hungry I ate a shepherd's pie from Fresh 'N' Easy, a soda, and a pint of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia. Yes, I paid for it the next day. And the shepherd's pie was meant to be shared. I was going to get something at Quizno's, but the one that was nearby where I catch the bus home from the library was closed, everything taken out. So I didn't have any other choice--nothing I had at home was defrosted.

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Doing a little catch up reading and enjoying hearing everyone's childhood stories and what is going on in their lives.

When I was a little girl, I was at my sister's farm. I was playing on one of the tractors, which I wasn't supposed to be doing, and somehow got my shorts stuck on something. I tugged and pulled, but they were really stuck. I figured if I started to climb down, they would just come loose. Nope, that didn't happen. When I tried to get down, the shorts stayed stuck and as I took a step down, they flipped me upside down. There I was, hanging upside down on the tractor, yelling for help. My brother-in-law came and got me down. He couldn't help but snicker. I wasn't hurt, but even at about 7, I was embarrassed. That was the last time I climbed on the tractors without an adult to help.

I should be working on my book, but just wanted to pop in and say hi. Y'all behave.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:42 pm

Even as a kid I was mechanically inclined and inventive. With the tools available on the farm, I built several unique and useful things.

When I was about 12-14 years old I bought two old bicycles for a dollar each. I cut the bicycles in half and used the two back halves and one front half to build a three-wheeled motor bike. I found several metal pieces in a junk yard to make the rest of the frame.

I welded everything together to form a sturdy framework. Yes, my grandfather taught me how to weld. (By the way, I once won first place in a South Dakota FFA welding contest for high school students)

I "borrowed" a gas engine from my grandfather's grain elevator that I mounted between the two rear wheels. Then I devised a brake system using the bicycle brake, and a drive system using the bicycle chain drive and a "borrowed" V belt to form a clutch.

My "invention" worked quite well. It would go about 40mph, and never gave me any trouble. After I left home at age 18, my dad sold it.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:04 pm

I was not so daring as Don and Mariane, but when I was a little girl, a friend who lived on a farm would invite me to her house for a week every summer. Mama would say when summer started, I believe Verna Jean is getting farm fever. We played hard all day and had such fun. My older brother was one who helped with some other fellows. One night they had a big contest on who could eat the most spaghetti. I beat them all!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Without a doubt, my absolute favorite memories of my childhood are the summers I spent at Grandma's farm in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania. Either one of my sisters was with me or my cousin Merle, a curly-haired monkey who joined me in making Grandma and Grandpa crazy.

Of all the hundreds of poems I've written over my entire lifetime, the most well-received was one I wrote about Grandma's farm. It's been published in several magazines and seems to stir up wonderful childhood memories in everyone who reads it.

GRANDMA’S FARM
by Mariane Holbrook

If I could go back to my childhood again
And recapture a bit of its charm,
I’d pack all my memories in a valise
And head back to my grandmother’s farm.

I’d look for the boulder that stood by the road
Where we’d play by the hour in the sun.
The “Grit” magazine was spread out on that rock
Til the “Wishing Well” puzzle was done.

We’d walk up the road which curves back of the house,
Gath’ring peaches from trees on the lawn.
The wild flowers blooming along the old fence
Closed nightly but opened at dawn.

Grandma’s porch was unpainted and needed repair.
For a step, Grandpa’d placed an old rock.
I remember the doors of that weathered old house
Grandma never would bother to lock.

The kitchen smelled often of freshly-baked bread.
Grandma cooked all the things that I love.
Oil cloth was spread on the old table top
And a fly paper hung up above.

The water pail rested upon a low bench;
The dipper hung down from a nail.
Some kindling was stacked by the back kitchen door
With a few pieces stuck in a pail.

The pantry led down to the cellar below
Where apples were stored with great care.
The aroma was pungent and mellow and sweet;
Grandpa grew the best fruit anywhere!

In the bedrooms upstairs were the large feather beds
Where the children were tucked in to sleep.
Heavy quilts were spread over to keep us all warm;
In the mornings, thrown off in a heap.

Outside the back door were the washboard and tubs;
Hanging near were the old broom and mop.
When Grandma’d need water, we’d go to the well
And crank buckets full to the top.

In Grandpa’s large orchard, gnarled apple trees stood;
He grew the red-striped apples, too.
Grandpa took SO MUCH pride in his orchard back then
In a way that Most men seldom do.

We’d hunt for fresh eggs hidden out in the barn
And chase the old hens from their nests.
We’d pet the new calves in the sun-filtered stalls
And clasp baby chicks to our breasts.

I’ve stood on the hills there behind Grandma’s house
And surveyed the lush meadows below.
If Heaven surpasses the view from this spot,
Believe me, I’m anxious to go !
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:14 pm

I also remember spending a couple of weeks each summer at the farm belonging to my other grandparents. I wrote about it a few years ago, and it has been well received.

Don

PANSY GRANDMA

When I was of grade school age in the 1940’s, I would spend 2-3 weeks each year during the summer on my grandparent’s farm. I have many memories of those visits.

There was no electricity and no plumbing. Horses were used for pulling all of the farm equipment, hay wagons, etc. There was a tractor on the farm, but it was rarely used because of the difficult time starting the engine using a hand crank. The cows were milked twice a day by hand, then, buckets of milk were carried to the hand operated milk/cream separator. Of course, the barn cats were always nearby at milking time, noisily anticipating a quick handout. Everything done on the farm was done manually, for that was all that was known back then.

Grandma would re-fill the lanterns each day with fresh fuel. She would gather baskets of eggs from the chicken house twice a day. The laundry washing machine had a gasoline engine that grandma would operate, then, she would hang the clothes outside to dry. She would carry pails of fresh water to the house each day from the windmill pump down by the barn. The black iron cook stove in the kitchen burned dry corncobs she would collect from the hog feed lot. The stove also provided hot water from its built-in tank for cooking and personal use. A fresh baked loaf of bread and cookies were always there to enjoy.

In those days there were no vacuum cleaners, no refrigerators, and no kitchen appliances. Open windows provided all the air conditioning needed. Saturday night baths were done in a metal tub on the kitchen floor, each of us taking our turn. Life was hard and the work was difficult, but grandma did it without complaining – and actually seemed to enjoy it. I remember her allowing me to “help out” with many of those chores.

However, the things she enjoyed the most were growing flowers and tending her garden. She grew flowers and vegetables from seeds she carefully collected and saved from the previous year’s blooms and fruit. Although she had many varieties, her favorite flower was the pansy. Grandma grew them in small pots in the house, in window boxes outside, and some were grown in flowerbeds – pansies of all colors and sizes. I recall laughing with her as we looked at the different pansy “faces” on the flowers – each having its own personality.

She always said she was my “pansy grandma” – and that’s what I called her. Those memories have stuck with me for more than 60 years. I don’t have any grandchildren and probably never will, but if you have them, spend quality time with them and fill their precious little heads with memories they will remember long after we’re gone
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:51 pm

Beautiful writing, Don!

Here's something you all will enjoy. It's hard to decide but I think #1 and #4 are my favs.

http://www.jrsbible.info/Birds/Birds.htm

Mariane Holbrook

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Thu May 01, 2014 9:28 am

Love reading the offerings of my talented friends.

Speaking of talented friends, here is the egg Mariane painted for my great grandson. I just love it! And if you're on Facebook, please don't mention it there yet as I want to surprise my granddaughter with it this weekend. :sofa

Front:

Back:
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri May 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures, Betty. I loved doing them for you and your great grandbaby.

Speaking of babies, you will love this about babies:

http://www.godvine.com/These-Baby-Boys- ... -3896.html

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri May 02, 2014 3:17 pm

What an entertaining bunch of posts! And, I don't know why my alerts aren't reaching me anymore! So, that's why I haven't been on the Porch. I thought everybody must be sleeping or on vacation.

DeeJay's post struck my funny bone - my hubby asked me if I were crying, I was laughing so hard. Sorry, your struggles were most likely not funny at the time, but the way you wrote about it definitely was, for me, anyway.

I loved your poem, BeachGrandma. You paint so many pictures with your selection of words.

For Verna, maybe if you provide something like this for your squirrels, they will leave the bird feeder alone. But, no guarantees! :lol:

Monday's workout at the dentist still leaves me feeling a bit like I was punched in the chin. Where he put in the novocaine needle, along the bottom of my front teeth, is still so sore (like canker sores) it hurts to eat. Baking soda in warm water swishes helps, but ringing ears or not, I may break down again today for some analgesic med.

"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri May 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Mariane, your poem is delightful, and Don, you've presented your memories specially as well.

I smiled at Deejay's problems, too. I have a 90 year-old friend who calls me sometimes. She tells such entertaining stories about falling and calling the police in her little town. Such grit she has!

The other night when the detection light kept coming on after midnight, Leon and I got up and checked out the window. There were three young deer in our little patio area eating the blossoms on the new azalea plants Leon put out last week, as well as several large one just under our window. One of the three moved out to the yard and stretched out to watch the others. While we didn't want them to eat our flowers, neither did we want to frighten them to the highway not too far away. Today we fixed our summer flower baskets and then we went to the store to get some "Liquid Fence" to repel deer and rabbits. I saw a hummingbird stop by to get some nectar--so we put out our hummingbird feeder. I wonder if that liquid fence would repel the pesky squirrels? We might live in the city, but we do have a lovely little version of our own Eden in back of our townhouse.

Hope you all have a blessed weekend.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri May 02, 2014 7:14 pm

Giving squirrels a private dining table and chair with a whole ear of corn for dinner is a cute idea, but that won't keep the hungry little critters away from bird feeders. They will clean out the bird feeder as an appetizer, then, the squirrels will seat themselves at their own table for the main course.

In spite of the pain they can inflict, dentists are no problem...in my opinion. In fact, I would rather go to the dentist for 5 root canals than spend 15 minutes in a doctor's office. I have a huge dislike for anyone with MD attached to their name. I suffer from a serious case of White Coat Syndrome.

I got my bicycle down from my bike rack today. I bought it new about 6+ years ago, and didn't put more than 3 miles on it. I'm thinking I might start riding again...after I put some air in the tires tomorrow.

I remember getting my first bicycle when I was about 6 years old. It was loaded...horn, head and tail lights, basket, white-wall balloon tires, passenger seat, and was fire-engine red. It was a 26" bike and I had trouble reaching the pedals. The brand was "Hawthorn" (unheard of today), and was purchased at Montgomery Ward. Forty years later my dad rode that same bike around his retirement park in AZ. 8)

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat May 03, 2014 2:01 pm

Becky, who normally keeps to herself when it comes to her health, has been opening up lately. Her meds for high blood pressure make her bleed easily, so she bruises horribly when she falls. She says she has dropsy--and she keeps dropping her water bottle and I had to pick it up for her three times last night. But what worries me is she isn't moving around as much as she used to. You should see the swelling of her feet--it looks like she has early stages of gangrene, almost. She told me last night her doctor told her, not very nicely, that it's her nerves that make her drop things. I don't know what meds exactly she takes, but dropsy, aka edema, I'm going to look up. There has to be something we can do for her.
There's a queen-size bed in our Life Center at church; we have to come up with a way of taking away her old bed--a twin or double--and getting the new bed to her. Maybe then she won't fall out of bed quite so often. She says she acts out her dreams, but it could be seizures, too. But seriously, nobody deserves to live like that.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat May 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Well, I got the tires pumped up on my bike today. I needed to lower the seat a bit 'cause my height has been shrinking in recent years. Note: I was once 6'1" tall, but am now a little over 5'10". Yikes!!! Where did 3" go???

Anyhow, I took the bike out for a little spin....around the driveway. I quickly found out my biking skills can be best described as shaky, uncertain, wobbly....and require a wide path.

(Makes note to self: Must avoid traffic at all cost....even parked cars!)

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon May 05, 2014 12:28 am

Don, I agree with you about dentists and doctors. After hearing Paul Harvey report that going to the dentist was in the top three of a list of things people dread most, I shared that news with more than one dentist. I told them I'd much rather go to the dentist than a doctor: You don't have to take off your clothes and you don't have to get on a scale. They were all amused, but it is true for me. I'm blessed with two brothers who are family practice physicians. When I have a problem I can't deal with, I phone one of them with my list of symptoms and get them to call in a prescription for me.

Otherwise, I am under the care of the Great Physician. I've had my "three score and ten," so every day is on borrowed time, anyway, and He has all my days numbered.

DeeJay, Becky has a good friend in you. Can she elevate her legs to relieve the swelling (edema)? Or, does that make it hard for her to breathe? I'm glad a doctor is involved in her care and would look for a medical cause (besides her weight) that could be a contributing factor.

Something I discovered, taking an oil painting class in college, when a person finds something she loves to do, it can so capture a person's attention that food is forgotten for hours at a time. It works especially well if the hands are kept messy (paint, garden soil, etc.). Dieting never worked well for me. It focuses one's attention on food, precisely what you don't want to be thinking about! Walking and working has always been my way to stay in shape, and it doesn't hurt that my appetite has decreased with age. A lot of stuff no longer appeals to me. :shock:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler