To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BettyDee
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BettyDee » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:33 pm

I think they just liked the name Kai. Andrew is after his grandpa. His name is pronounced Kye, in case anyone is wondering. Actually, it's one of those names that is gaining popularity now and being used more often. in fact, my nephew's middle name is Kye (spelled that way), and his new baby's middle name is also Kye. I've heard it several times recently, usually spelled Kai.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Well, I sold my boat yesterday...along with water skis, two tubes, tow ropes and related equipment, and a almost-new 12 speed bicycle. I hated to part with my nice combination fish/ski boat, but ya do whatcha gotta do.

All I did was put the word out to a few people, and everything was sold in just three hours. Amazing!

The skis and tubes would never be used by me or my kids again (not been used in 10 years), and my increasing unstable legs would not allow me to boat safely alone on rough water anymore.

A friend of mine will keep his boat on my boat lift, and I'll go fishing with him once in a while.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 am

With three days left in the month, April is already on record as the 5th wettest one ever in the Twin Cities. It’s raining now and rain is forecast for the next several days.

With that in mind, I wrote this limerick. (I'll betcha y'all didn't know I could write limericks....)

Plenty of raindrops are a splashin' down,

They're soakin' everything on the ground.

Oh...for heaven's sake, just look at the lake,

Even the fish are gonna drown!

Not bad, eh? :lol:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Cute, Don! Here's something else that will make you laugh.

http://www.vfwpost2461.com/humor/Images ... cbags.html

I just made some chocolate chip cookies and so help me this is the 3rd time in a row that my brand new Whirlpool oven burns them on the bottom while the top is still raw dough.
John insists it has to do with the position the trays are in in the oven, so following Whirlpool's manual, I put the cookie sheets in the middle position. Then I tried the 2nd position from the top for the second batch. Both had the same results, burned on bottom and doughy on the top of the cookies. I don't think the top heating unit is working but John, whose skills as an oven repairman are only slightly more developed than his skills as a Radio City Music Hall Rockette, insists that the top oven heating unit isn't supposed to be on when I bake cookies. Tell me, how does my oven know whether I'm baking cookies or baking a liver and onion soufflé? It just doesn't make any sense to me. I dread for the boys to come home from school. They'll be so disappointed that my once famous choc chip cookies turned out badly again.

Woe Is me...................
:sofa :sofa :sofa :cry2 :( :( :(
(singing):
"Cover me, Lord, with Your presence,
Cover me, Lord, with Your righteousness,
Cover me, Lord, with Your holiness,
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:02 pm

A RIDDLE FOR SMART PEOPLE
Only 5% of Stanford University graduates
Figured it out!

Can you answer all seven of the following questions
With the same word?

1. The word has seven letters....
2. Preceded God...
3. Greater than God...
4. More Evil than the devil...
5. All poor people have it...
6. Wealthy people need it....
7. If you eat it, you will eventually die.

Did you figure it out?

Try hard before looking at the answers

Did you get it yet?

Give up?

Brace yourself for the answer....

I'll post the answer tonight. hehe
(singing):
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:07 pm

You're gonna LOVE these! I guarantee you will.

http://www.vfwpost2461.com/humor/Images ... cbags.html

:superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy
(singing):
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Okay Mariane, here are my thoughts about the oven problem. First of all, I have double GE electric ovens. In the oven, the bottom cal rod is there for baking, and the top cal rod is used for broiling as well as for the cleaning cycle.

If the bottom of the cookies are burning (even on the center rack), then, there is obviously enough heat present to bake the cookie. However, if the bottom rod is way too hot too fast, the cookie bottom might be burning quickly before the top side is cooked.

That would suggest to me that the heat controller is set up wrong, installed wrong, or backward - telling the oven to heat at 550 degrees when it should be only 350. Your dial or visual display reading might be 350, but the oven could be producing 550 or more. Do you have a oven thermometer you can set in there to check the temp?

You say the oven is new. Have you tried to cook anything else other than the cookies? There should be a problem with other things too.

It's not too soon to call for the oven repair guy.

Other solutions: :lol:
* After a few minutes when the cookie bottoms is cooked, but not burned, flip them over as if you were frying eggs or making pancakes.

* Learn to enjoy burned-bottom cookies - crunchy on the bottom, and gooey on the top. Yumm!!!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:02 pm

I like chocolate chip cookies--even burnt ones!

Congratulations on the race, Allison.

Betty, that is the most beautiful baby. I want to hold him and sing lullabies to him.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Some people are crazy. I witnessed one of the crazy ones a few minutes ago.

My son called me a short while ago and said a friend was collecting donations for a cancer charity. The friend had commitments from others if he would put on a swimming suit and jump into our cold lake water.

Since my dock was in the lake, my son asked me if his friend could use my dock and the lake. Photos would be taken before his jump, during his jump, and after his jump. I agreed to let him do it here on my property.

The lake ice has only been gone a week. The water must be well under 40 degrees. The air temperature is 38 degrees, and a strong wind is blowing. That's not-so-good swimming conditions. :shock:

Well, he did it with pics to prove it.

From my deck I said to him, "How's the water? He said, "Fine!"

Like I said...some people are crazy. :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:30 am

Oh dear, I don't know why FW seems to have lost me. I checked, and it appears I'm still "subscribed" to the Porch (didn't it used to read something clearer, like "following this forum" or something?). Anyway, I wonder what "Bookmark" means (in addition to "subscribe"), anyway. I'm scared to check it out.

I notice I forgot to tell you all "thank you" for celebrating my birthday with me. And, thanks for Betty's special gift, sharing her wedding anniversary with my birthday, and then a new baby for my 2nd Day of Birthday! :wink: I'm so glad everyone liked my special birthday cake, even if it was only in your imaginations. :sorry

Let's see what else I missed: BeachGrandma, the answer to your riddle is ...nothing...at all! When my baking does that, I turn down the oven and bake longer at lower temp so top and bottom come out even. And, I liked the link to those shopping bag images...and I also have some of your keepsake eggs for myself and gifts I've given to others. Real genuine keepsakes.

Don, since I've finally learned to ask myself "who is going to want this stuff" that I've hung onto for years, the getting rid of has become much easier. Once the emotional attachment is broken, now all I need is the stamina to pack it up and haul it out. :lol:

Your run, Allison (congratulations!), reminds me of our Palm Sunday march that I may have mentioned here. Anyway, whether I did or not (I'm too tired to look back and check), one of our octogenarian little ladies completed the march, dead last and way behind, except for our outreach pastor who stayed behind to keep her company and make sure she made it okay. He was so delighted at her determination to finish the "race," that he mentioned her in a sermon.

Don't we all have fun! :superhappy Some days more than others, of course. Today, I gave my dentist and his assistant such a workout over my mouth that I felt like I could barely stand when I got out of the chair. I am starting to feel more normal by now.

Sweet dreams, all!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:42 am

Your answer is right, Edy. It is "Nothing."

Here's something I thought was funny:

You can say what you want about Florida, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North. These are actual ads seen in ''The Villages'' Florida newspaper. (Who says Seniors don't have a sense of humor?)

FOXY LADY:
Sexy, fashion-conscious blue-haired beauty, 80's, slim, 5'4' (used to be 5'6'), searching for Sharp-looking, sharp-dressing companion. Matching white shoes and belt a plus.

LONG-TERM COMMITMENT:
Recent widow who has just buried fourth husband, Looking for someone to round out a six-unit plot. Dizziness, Fainting, shortness of breath not a problem.

SERENITY NOW:
I am into solitude, long walks, sunrises, the ocean, yoga and Meditation. If you are the silent type, let's get together, Take our hearing aids out and enjoy quiet times.

WINNING SMILE:
Active grandmother with original teeth seeking a dedicated flossier. To share rare steaks, corn on the cob and caramel candy.

BEATLES OR STONES?
I still like to rock, still like to cruise in my Camaro on Saturday nights and still like to play the guitar. If you were a groovy chick, or are now a groovy hen,
let's get together and listen to my eight-track tapes.

MEMORIES:
I can usually remember Monday through Thursday. If you can remember Friday, Saturday and Sunday, let's put our two heads together.

MINT CONDITION:
Male, 1932 model, high mileage, good condition, some hair. Many new parts including hip, knee, cornea, valves. Isn't in running condition, but walks well.
(singing):
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:03 am

On Easter I received a phone call from our older son, Johnny, and this is the gist of what he said. It was so precious I could hardly keep the tears back.

"Mom, Susan (his wife) and I both have copies of the devotional book we sent you. We had hoped to read them together but I get up very, very early in the mornings (sometimes 4 or 5 a.m.) to direct one of my Washington, DC trips for students. Susan is still fast asleep then so we weren't able to have morning devotions together. I was wondering if you and I could read the devotional for each day since you get up so early, too. Just knowing you were reading the same one as I am would mean a lot to me. Then, if something in the devotional was especially meaningful, we could dash off a quick Email to each other sharing the "nugget" that came to us while reading. I wish we lived closer together (he lives about 3 hours away from us) but this would be second best. What do you think?"

The thing is, Johnny is very shy about things like this. He loves the Lord but keeps things to himself whereas Tim is very vocal about everything. Knowing this about Johnny, his phone call Easter Sunday meant even more to me. I love that Johnny thought of reading the daily devotional with me rather than me suggesting it. My sons are so precious to me!
:loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :hugs3 :hugs2 :hugs3 :hugs2 :handshake
(singing):
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:22 am

Mariane, Having our children share "God time" with us is a wonderful blessing, and having your "quieter" son do this must be an even greater one. One of my sons-in-law posted on FB a video of himself singing a little quiet praise song along with a CD beside his year-old son taking his bottle and called it a nightly ritual. I commented that it thrilled me to see my family following the Word: Deuteronomy 6:7. I enjoyed your senior funnies. I get a great number of funny e-mails about seniors, and I can't imagine why!

Don, I see you're writing limericks and doing all kinds of other stuff--ever the busy man!

Edy, I hate to go to the dentist AND the eye doctor--two of life's necessities. When we moved to a townhouse ten years ago, we had a yard sale, and people wanted to pay five cents for my "treasures."--Never again. I'll give them to Goodwill.

We have tried EVERYTHING, but we can't keep one fat squirrel off the bird feeder. He sits on the squirrel baffle and stares at us. I do love to see the birds on there, but this fellow gets on my last nerve!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:33 am

A true story from the past....

One day when I was a teenager on the farm, I thought it would be fun to harass the Hereford cattle in the feed lot. I got in there with them and began to taunt them.

Most just looked at me as if I was an idiot, but one of them did not take my presence lightly. A Hereford bull snorted, he pawed the ground, and then, charged toward me. By the way, they can run really fast when they want to.

I turned and quickly headed for the closest fence. Without any track and field training, I managed to do a nice barrel roll over the top board of the 5' fence. The bull skidded to a stop, and the game was over.

I must have left my brain in the house that day. :roll:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:24 am

Don, we both must have parked our brains in the "No Loading" space when we hung out in the pasture of our youth. At Grandma's farm in Pennsylvania where I spent the most idyllic summers a girl could ever have, my sister and I were sitting on the wooden gate that opened up next to the outdoor feeding lot in the pasture one day. I was about 8 and she was 11. She bet me a quarter that I couldn't sit on the cow's back for one minute. I swung my skinny legs over the gate right onto the back of a cantankerous cow who wasn't used to riders. The cow bolted across the feeding lot and raced down the hill with me screaming and pulling her ears, hair and anything else I could grab hold of. My sister was hooting and hollering for the cow to win, unconcerned that I was facing certain death. At the bottom of the short hill, the cow kicked up her back legs and threw me into the creek. I dragged my soaking wet self back up the hill, trying to ignore my sister who was still draped over the gate laughing like the idiot that she was.
My very stern grandpa came out of the barn to see what was going on. He looked at my wet dress, covered with mud and grass and asked me what happened. I knew he would not be pleased if I told him I had ridden his cow down the hill so I decided not to tell him. But that didn't stop my sister from telling every last detail, adding all kinds of embellishments to her story. He marched me back to the farmhouse and insisted that I not move while he poured buckets of cold water from the well all over me, starting at the top of my head.

My sister loves this story. She tells it with relish every time we had a family reunion. And she still hasn't paid me the quarter she owes me.
:fingerwag :x :cry: :pirate2 :pirate2
(singing):
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler