To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Verna
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Verna » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Don, I love your analogies.

Carole, It's nice to have you drop by. I have a slew of first cousins I do not know on one side of the family. It was interesting to go to a funeral and meet a bunch of people that looked a bit like my daddy. Somehow though, the genealogy bug has never bitten me.

For anyone who would love to read a beautiful poem and be inspired that spring IS coming, you can check out my FB page or Mariane's for a gorgeous poem by our very own Mariane!

There's not too much to get out of my name spelled backwards, but you can find some "time" in there and a "Rev." For the kids I taught who usually left one "L" off my last name, I told them to just remember the opposite of heaven.

Edy, thanks for the cold remedy suggestions. I must admit my own very favorite is Afrin, but I quit using it after three days because it is addictive--or so I've read. Anyway, I surely felt better when I used it!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:08 pm

I finally got around to gargling with warm salt water this morning. Seems to help with the postnasal drip.

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm

deejay wrote:I finally got around to gargling with warm salt water this morning. Seems to help with the postnasal drip.

Oh dear. I had to read this 3 times. At first I thought you wrote "postnatal" drip and couldn't figure out what you were on about. LOL

Oh…I'm getting befuddled.

Chrissy

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Giggling at all of Don's jokes and Mariane's piano "skills".

Verna, I know how you feel. I have a whole bunch of cousins on my dad's side I don't know. He came from a very large family, and he was the baby. Some of his siblings had moved out and had their own families by the time he came along. He lost touch with several of his nieces and nephews. However, I LOVE genealogy. I've done it off and on almost all my adult years. I made it my business to find some of my cousins and had fun calling some of them. Looking forward to finding some more.

I could go on for hours about things I have found out, but won't tonight. Actually, if y'all don't mind, I do have a story or two I would like to share that I will post soon. To me, that's the fun of genealogy - not the "begats" so much, but the personal stories you find out about.

Both Don and I are getting over a very nasty stomach virus. He got it first and very kindly shared it with me. I wasn't online much at all over the weekend, and we even missed church, which we rarely do. I practically bathed in bleach, determined not to get sick, but did anyway.

Time to turn in. I've been extra tired since this bug hit. Y'all behave.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:26 pm

:grouphug3 Nurses aren't supposed to get sick, are they, Betty! Do feel much better soon. I sure sympathize. :grouphug3
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:42 am

Betty, while I might not be big on genealogy, I am big on stories, and you tell interesting ones.

My cold is better today, and my husband thanks me for the way I so generously share everything with him! :) I did, however, at one point in the night sit up and say, "I can't breathe!"

I saw a mockingbird yesterday and sent a note to my children to tell them that it reminded me of a song I sang to them when they were babies--Hush Little Baby, Don't You Cry. I found it sung on youtunes on Google and sent a link. Unfortunately when I was a young mother, there was no Google, so I just sang the first few stanzas over and over. :D My son e-mailed me back that he remembered. What a precious memory to share! Of course, I sang to them through all their childhoods--just not that one!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:28 pm

:hugs2 :loveyou Oh, Verna, teachers aren't supposed to get sick, either! I hope you have some Watkins chicken broth in the cupboard so you can get better fast, too. You do have to keep on breathing! Uff da! :loveyou :hugs2
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Betty, tell me how does one "bathe in bleach?" Do you dilute it, say half and half, or just buy several gallons of Clorox or a drum of the bleach from any store? Don't you have a problem with discoloring of your skin or worse, losing some of it down the drain? And what of the smell? Have you noticed people shying away from you in a grocery store line or giving you an entire pew all to yourself at church? And have you researched the long-term effects of bathing in bleach, especially if you wash your hair in it? Perhaps this is a new way of streaking your hair? Is this a family thingy or are you the only one who has a cleanliness OCD?

Caring people need to know..... :shocked :hugs2
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Well, Mariane, I hadn't considered bathing in bleach might allow me to have my own pew at church, but now that you mention it... :lol:

Verna, I hope you are feeling better. Nothing worse than not feeling up to par, especially if you have things you would like to do.

You are right, Edy. Nurses and teachers are NOT supposed to get sick!

Anyone having spring weather yet? Our weather is so schizophrenic. We were well on our way to spring, and then we had a cold (for us) snap. Things are looking good for the rest of the week and weekend, though. I can't wait to get my hands in the dirt. I have some caladium bulbs that are sprouting and I need to get them in the ground.

Time to get ready for church. It's business meeting night. Not a lot of fun, but necessary. Y'all behave.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:53 am

As one who enjoys cooking and good food, I am amused when I see the names often applied to various food items. Quickly thumb through any cooking or food magazine and you will see what I mean.

Why do they feel the need to attach a specific meal time or event to the food name in recipes or on the product label? :?

For example...
Breakfast cereal
Breakfast sausage
Breakfast pastry
Breakfast potatoes
Breakfast rolls
Lunchtime sandwich
Dinner rolls
Dinner salad
Dinnertime dessert
Super Bowl chicken wings
Party pizza
Holiday snacks
Christmas ham
Father's Day brunch
Weeknight dinner
Summertime drinks

How dumb is that? Why do they need to tell us when certain things should be consumed when they are no different than eating them at any other time? If I am hungry for something, then, I'll prepare it and eat it no matter what the time of day or event. :roll:

It's almost as if a person should not eat pizza unless a party is involved. Is there any difference between a dinner roll and a breakfast roll? And, what's wrong with eating a salad for a snack, or having a nice bowl of oatmeal for dinner? :?

Hmmm...It's still winter around here, but I sure could go for a tasty, summertime, Dairy Queen sundae or nice bowl of ice cream.

:lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:24 am

Have you been reading a recipe book for entertainment, lately, Don? :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:00 pm

Edy wrote:Have you been reading a recipe book for entertainment, lately, Don? :lol:

Oh! That's an idea! :book2

There are probably a lot more laughs to be found in them. How about "101 Ways To Fix Lutefisk"? That would be good humor right there!
(Don looks around for gag icon)

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Don, I think we'd have to ask my brother for his "Lutefisk Smoothie" recipe. :thumbs I doubt you'd find it in any recipe book, even in Norway, itself. :rolling But, somehow, I don't think you really want it, given you're looking for the :drool icon. :mrgreen:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 pm

(from Bill Wundgram's column):

ON TUESDAY, I called Norway, Ill., an unincorporated little town that isn't easy to find on maps.

It is a two-hour drive from the Quad-Cities, near Ottawa, if you want to find the real lutefisk.

"Oh, yeah, do we ever have lutefisk," said Charlie Borchsenius, with an exclaiming voice. He runs Norway Store and said, "We have lutefisk by the barrel. It is a fine year for lutefisk."

Asked if he stored it dried, like cordwood in front of his store, he broke out in a chortle that must have shaken the Norwegian kringles off the shelf.

"No, not like they used to. Dogs used to piddle on the lutefisk stacks. Old-timers said it gave flavor."
:superhappy :clap
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:15 pm

At least lutefisk is cooked. I used to like pickled herring, but my hubby spoiled it for me. He explained that pickled precludes cooking. The herring is RAW. :seeingstars :cry2
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler