To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Here ya go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghid6QKrhrA
"Too Fat Polka" - which I couldn't find by Whoopee John, but close.

And, if you like polka music to charge your batteries for spring cleaning, here he is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bihgfy47DDc

My dad played the tuba in high school band, so he took great delight in the "ump-pa-pa" sound. When it turned up on the radio, he'd kick up his heels (even though we didn't dance!), briefly, until Mom squelched it with her, "Oh, Alex!"
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:36 pm

Oh I remember that song, Edy. "I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me...." I'm so glad your dad left it on the tape. What a kind, loving father he was. We were both so fortunate that God gave us the dads that he did. I know I would have loved your dad just as you would have loved mine.

Laurie Glass posted a picture of herself on Facebook which I wish you could see (those of you who do not belong to Facebook.) She's had a terrific haircut and so help me, I didn't know who she was. She was pretty before but in this picture she is quite beautiful ! Maybe someone who knows how can post it here. Laurie has an ongoing ministry on Facebook helping those with eating disorders and from the looks of it, she's gaining quite a following. God bless her.
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:23 am

Do you think she'd mind, BeachGrandma? I can do it, if you'll ask her permission (or perhaps she'd like to check in, here, herself -- Hi Laurie!).
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:52 am

I don't remember if I had mentioned this before or not.

On Thursday evening, March 27th, the Gaither Vocal Band and others from the Gaither Homecoming group will be in concert at my church. Yes, I have my ticket to hear them!

Then, on Sunday March 30th, Joni Eareckson Tada will be speaking at both of our church services. I'll be there to hear her too!

:superhappy

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 am

I'm not sure what to do about Laurie's picture. I'm hoping she'll see the post and show us. What an attractive woman, for sure!

Don, you must go to a very active church. I'm so happy you can take advantage of these concerts because nothing that I know of lifts the soul like music. I don't even know who's in the Gaither Vocal Band anymore. They change so frequently. And all of them blend so well. Please tell us all about it and about Joni after the concerts, will you? We'll enjoy them vicariously through you.

The spring tours for junior and senior high school students has begun and all 3 of my men are out with buses. How I pray they stay safe. God has been so good to prevent accidents on these tours for nearly 40 years now. This year they have reservations for more than 20,000 students from schools all over North Carolina to visit sites from Charleston to Washington, DC.

Keep looking up! Jesus is coming soon!
Mariane Holbrook

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:32 pm

I thought I would pop in, read a few messages, and write a simple little reply, but you people have been busy! Lots of entertaining stories here. Love reading about what everyone did as kids.

I do remember the first "viewing" I ever went to; I must have been about four. Evidently they tend to leave a big impression on little kids. This viewing was for the father of my oldest sister's boyfriend. Before we left, my dad cautioned me that he would just look like he was asleep, and I was not to ask too many questions until we got home. Also,I was not to run around "like a wild Indian." Well, I was quite proud of myself for being quiet and behaving, but as soon as we got home, I told my parents he didn't look like he was asleep; he looked like he was dead. I KNOW how horrible that sounds now, but we know how brutally honest kids can be.

Mariane, I don't see a problem with your loving and displaying your Amish crafts and items. Many of you may not know it, but I live in an area with a large Mennonite community, and there are many different sects and "orders" of Mennonites. These sects hold different beliefs and ideas. Some are very modern, drive cars, and dress just like anyone else. I also agree with Verna. Their talents are God given. Enjoy them if you like them.

I need to be writing, but I am really stuck. I just can't get past a scene in my book. I have re-written it several times. I may need to scrap it altogether, but even if I did, I still don't know what to put in its place. Sigh...

Have a blessed Friday night and y'all behave!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:03 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:

Don, you must go to a very active church. I'm so happy you can take advantage of these concerts because nothing that I know of lifts the soul like music. I don't even know who's in the Gaither Vocal Band anymore. They change so frequently. And all of them blend so well. Please tell us all about it and about Joni after the concerts, will you? We'll enjoy them vicariously through you.

Yeah, my church is very active with so many things going on I can't keep track.

The Gaither Vocal Band does seem to change faces often. Currently the band's singers are Bill Gaither, Wes Hampton, David Phelps, and Adam Crabb.

Performing with them at my church will be Charlotte Richie, Gene McDonald, Kevin Williams, and others from the Homecoming group.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:37 pm

BettyDee wrote:I thought I would pop in, read a few messages, and write a simple little reply, but you people have been busy! Lots of entertaining stories here. Love reading about what everyone did as kids.

I do remember the first "viewing" I ever went to; I must have been about four. Evidently they tend to leave a big impression on little kids. This viewing was for the father of my oldest sister's boyfriend. Before we left, my dad cautioned me that he would just look like he was asleep, and I was not to ask too many questions until we got home. Also,I was not to run around "like a wild Indian." Well, I was quite proud of myself for being quiet and behaving, but as soon as we got home, I told my parents he didn't look like he was asleep; he looked like he was dead. I KNOW how horrible that sounds now, but we know how brutally honest kids can be.

Mariane, I don't see a problem with your loving and displaying your Amish crafts and items. Many of you may not know it, but I live in an area with a large Mennonite community, and there are many different sects and "orders" of Mennonites. These sects hold different beliefs and ideas. Some are very modern, drive cars, and dress just like anyone else. I also agree with Verna. Their talents are God given. Enjoy them if you like them.

I need to be writing, but I am really stuck. I just can't get past a scene in my book. I have re-written it several times. I may need to scrap it altogether, but even if I did, I still don't know what to put in its place. Sigh...

Have a blessed Friday night and y'all behave!

Dear Betty, I didn't think it sounded horrible at all. For a four-year-old, you made me laugh. :oops:

As for your writing, how can we help? Perhaps if we know what has you stuck we can shine lights on the problem from different perspectives and help illuminate what you're looking to find.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Thank you , Edy, but honestly I don't know how anyone could help. I've got my MC in a place where she needs to DO something, but I just don't know which direction to take her. Usually she tells me, but for some reason, she is being pretty quiet the past week or two. Maybe she's resting up for the big reveal. :wink:

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:11 pm

I imagine murder and bank robbery are out of the question. :shock: Maybe she could pull an Agatha Christi and disappear for awhile, leaving behind suspicious clues, implicating her worst enemy guilty for the "crime?"

Just brainstorming, here! :P
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 am

Maybe... Actually, she does have a flat tire, but it's being fixed by an old friend. A minor detail, but she needs to get started somewhere. :lol:

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:32 am

Is there anything suspicious...or peculiar...in her car trunk, Betty?

Oh, but I love a good mystery! :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:30 am

With the latest hot news reports in mind, how about a mysterious hijacking, kidnapping or terrorism event involving the MC?

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:36 am

Betty, I think that's why I'm not good at fiction. My characters don't talk to me!
Don, that sounds like a great concert.
Hope you all have a blessed weekend!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:43 am

ready2go wrote:With the latest hot news reports in mind, how about a mysterious hijacking, kidnapping or terrorism event involving the MC?

Don

I'm definitely thinking there was human intervention now, as the reports are saying. My dad was a plane mechanic in the Air Force, and worked for McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for years, though by that time he was in policy and procedures, not working on planes. Anyway, he still has a lot of knowledge of planes, and when he said that the transponder has to be turned off by a person, and they figured it may have flown for HOURS after the last radar contact, I just don't think there's another logical explanation. Had it been a catastrophic failure, I think they would have found SOME wreckage by now, near where it dropped off radar. I could be wrong, of course, but I'm definitely leaning towards human intervention. And it's crazy that they haven't found anything yet. I've been fascinated by this story ever since it broke.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler