To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 pm

No more snow on top of the hedge-high drifts, Verna. We're just soaking up more sub-zero weather to tide us over any summer heat waves we may have heading our way...hopefully! :brrr :roll: :P
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

rtodd5011
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby rtodd5011 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Verna wrote:Rich, I believe you've moved to the other coast and stayed. Honest, we're glad you stopped in, and you're welcome to visit often.

Verna, I believe I bit off more than I can chew trying to live on both coasts. :oops: HA. I do like both places and plan to visit often. Blessing to you all, Rich
God Bless,
Rtodd (Rich)

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Rich, there are some great people on that other coast, too. I still claim Pup as my friend-though he long ago moved away to his own area. He's a special guy, and Shann is pure gold. So no hard feelings here. We welcome you whenever you stop by.

Betty, did I tell you I just started a diet. If I'm heading someday (far off, I hope!) for a hip replacement , there needs to be less of me. I gained five pounds reading you recipes!

Edy, I know you'll welcome spring very warmly this year! I did put a little reminder in verse on my author page at FB -- Verna Cole Mitchell.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:13 pm

I will have to seek out your page on FB, Verna. Thanks for thinking of us chilly Minnesotans!

Here's some beautiful photos from Siberia...I mean, northern Minnesota. :P

http://paulsundbergphotography.smugmug. ... /i-QXftCKQ
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:29 pm

Don, you are a strong Christian man. I'm sorry I wasn't on the porch when your beautiful wife passed, but because you know where she is, you seem to be handling it well.

Deejay, I remember your posts about your mom. Mothers are so precious. I know you miss yours as much as I miss mine.

Verna, thank you for ordering the book. It's just something I wanted to do, but I probably will never do anything else non-fiction again. I had a lot of requests from people at church on how to make some of the desserts I bring to pot lucks. Honestly, some of them are so simple, I was almost embarrassed to share. I thought if they wanted the recipes, though, maybe someone else might. I love baking from scratch, but sometimes it's fun and perfectly okay to take some help from a boxed mix or roll of cookie dough.

Our weather is completely wacky - 82 on Saturday, and yesterday's high was 31. It's not much warmer today, but thank goodness at least the cold does not last long here.

I am supposed to be writing, but can't seem to find my motivation. Does anyone have some they want to share? I better at least go try. Y'all behave.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am

RiversidePeace wrote:
Verna wrote:
Can't wait to see our great grands soon! One will be a year old Monday and the other, next month. They have brought such joy.

Our youngest grandchild turned one 2 weeks ago and tomorrow she'll be dedicated to the Lord. Norm, her dear Pa, will be doing the ceremony. It will be a special day for both her mother's family and ours. Just prayer the rain eases a little because the chapel won't fit us all in.

Take care everyone and have a wonderful weekend.

Chrissy

Verna wrote:
Happy Birthday, Chrissy--Hope it's a great one. We attended our "greats', dedications on Mother's Day.

Sorry. I'm lost. Tis not my birthday until next week.

Not sure if I made sense in previous post. Maybe I was just tired.

Chrissy

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:45 am

RiversidePeace wrote:Sorry. I'm lost. Tis not my birthday until next week.

Chrissy

Well, that's what your Facebook page said. I wished you Happy birthday over there on our yesterday.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:41 pm

I'm having the best time painting Easter eggs! I never concentrated much on them before now but almost every day I get an order or two online from either Etsy or Ebay. What I especially like is that some women are buying one, then when they receive them in the mail, they immediately order another one or even two, one for each of their children with their names printed on them.

I wrestled with painting Easter eggs because it's the holiest of our holidays, the cornerstone of our faith. But because it's so holy and reverential, there isn't much I can put on a wooden egg for Easter except a lovely cross or something similar, with a Scripture verse attached. I didn't want to trivialize the meaning of Easter so finally decided that no harm would be done by painting Easter eggs with the bunnies and baby chicks, etc. Children love these Easter eggs and so do their parents. I hope I'm not doing the wrong thing by painting and selling them, so if you have any opinion one way or another and want to share it, I'd like to hear it. It's no secret that I also paint Santa Clauses at Christmas on wooden eggs and people love them. I guess I figure God looks on the heart and He knows I'm grateful beyond words for the meaning of the cross, just as I am thrilled with the nativity.

It is cold, cold, cold here. John brought me home a box of Russell Stover chocolate covered pecans and I hugged his neck. What a sweetie! I've been craving them.

Back to my paint brush..... Love you guys and gals!
(singing):
"Cover me, Lord, with Your presence,
Cover me, Lord, with Your righteousness,
Cover me, Lord, with Your holiness,
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:05 pm

BeachGrandma, I'm so glad you're able to do something you enjoy so much in spite of your vision problems. I wouldn't even consider what you paint to be a potential problem, if you hadn't asked the question.

Perhaps chicks and bunnies became associated with our celebration of Jesus' resurrection because they represent new life. Thus, most appropriate, I think. I haven't researched how the "Easter Bunny" became tied to Easter, except for the connection with eggs (which we all enjoyed coloring at this time of year when we were children).

And, St. Nicholas was a real person with a compassionate heart, so it makes sense to me to include his story, too, especially when he is seen as an example of how Jesus came to make us His disciples, loving one another.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:47 pm

RedBaron wrote:
RiversidePeace wrote:Sorry. I'm lost. Tis not my birthday until next week.

Chrissy

Well, that's what your Facebook page said. I wished you Happy birthday over there on our yesterday.

Let me go check. It suppose to show up the week coming into your birthday. Thanks for letting me know.

Chrissy

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Ah…Thanks for the many birthday greetings. I reset the birth date to the 14th. Must have been a glitch.

I'll be flying to Hobart with Norm on the 14th, which is my birthday, as a birthday treat. We'll fly back on the 18th. I'll take the birthday greetings this week though. LOL! I may not be on line while we're away.

Love you all.

Chrissy

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:43 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:

It is cold, cold, cold here. John brought me home a box of Russell Stover chocolate covered pecans and I hugged his neck. What a sweetie! I've been craving them.

Back to my paint brush..... Love you guys and gals!

Russell Stover chocolate, caramel pecan candy!!!

My neighbor brought over a 12 ct. box of those delicious things for me on Valentine's Day. That mixture of goodies packed into a piece of candy is one of my favorite food groups!

I've been doling them out to myself at the rate of one piece every 2-3 days. I think I only have 3 pieces left.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:43 pm

Good for you, Don. What self control you have! I wouldn't dare have such a wonderful treat here!

Mariane, I see no harm whatsoever in painting little chicks or whatever for children for Easter. Little ones will get great pleasure from them without destroying the meaning of Easter.

It's been a busy day. The challenge topic due in the morning is "End Times." I had an idea, and got another idea to go with it, but it made me sad to think about it--so I decided I would skip this week, but when I woke up this morning, it was so strong on my mind, my conscience (or the Spirit within me) made me feel that I should write that very idea--so I got it in this afternoon, but I wept as I wrote it.
May God reach some heart who needs to hear those words.

There's a chill in the air, but I'm more than willing to let anyone who wants it to keep the snow and ice!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Mariane, I agree with Verna. I see absolutely nothing wrong with bunnies and chicks for Easter, or Santas for Christmas, for that matter. Teaching children the true meaning of Easter and Christmas is important, but these things are harmless. I think frowning on children having fun during these holidays (and if you forbid them to be a part of what other kids are doing,then you are frowning on them having fun) is just a by product of our gone crazy PC world. If you want to paint bunnies and chicks on eggs, then paint bunnies and chicks on eggs. You aren't forcing anyone to buy them. Wow, now aren't you sorry you rattled my cage? :lol:

Today is my husband's birthday. He is getting a massage this afternoon, compliments of me, then we are going to Odessa to eat at one of our favorite restaurants.

Anybody else ready for spring? It's off to a rocky start here, but I am ready!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Speaking of Spring...the sun is out and we are promised to reach a degree above freezing. So, perhaps we'll be able to pull down the ice dam over our front porch (which drips on our heads trying to enter or exit the house - thoughtless architectural design!)

And, if we haven't soaked up enough cold to see us through summertime without some AC, check this out!

...one never knows when we need to go off grid, or at least reduce our power use.
Rednecks can teach us something. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BzOq8NLAqQ
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler