To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:14 pm

While I'm looking, here's some fun. Especially if anyone else has been following Downton Abbey on PBS. I don't know how our selections, many of which do not include one's top choice, define something about us, or even how it decides between male and female characters.

But see what you find.
http://www.zimbio.com/quiz/WLF_ky-a_03/ ... 3wcwEOIJow

This link might show the character the quiz identifies with me, but you'll find a button to "retake" the quiz for your own results.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:21 pm

Here you go:

http://www.boredpanda.com/modern-art-vs-toddler-art/

Although I already failed miserably when I took the quiz, before, I only remember a couple that surprised me no end. So I'm going to see if I can do any better on a retake!

Parents of some of these toddlers should start now to build a college fund selling their baby's art!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Breezing through the posts to see if everyone is okay today. Have not yet looked at links, but I will. Dying to see what toddler art is. I agree that there all kinds of art. Some think only art that looks very realistic, like a photograph is art. Some like every little brush stroke to show, and want the paintings much simpler. I used to paint, but never was that good at it. I'll share a picture or two here soon. I always think of Grandma Moses who started her career so late in life. She had a lot of talent, but yet, did not paint fine art. It was folk art with a lot of personality. Personally, I love her work.

I have a mess in the kitchen. Made cookies and have not cleaned up yet. Guess I better do that before the health department shows up at our door and condemns my kitchen!

Before I go, yes, new great grandson will be only 30 miles away. :superhappy
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Let's see how this works - the medium is called "Graffiti" and I found it on facebook. One has to compose a "painting" using one's mouse. You select the color you want and the size of the dot for your "paintbrush." It does take some practice and several false attempts! But, I can while away hours having fun. I like that it can appear to be done in oil pastels, my favorite medium, though pastels are a lot of messy! And Graffiti is neat as a pin. 8)

I call this one "Sweet Mystery."

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Here's perhaps my earliest Graffiti effort. That round dot paintbrush works great for doing nice round moons! :)

The title of this one is Moon Over Gitchie Goomie.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Edy wrote:Good history lesson, Deejay! I remember those separate Presidential holidays, too. But, I have no idea who the elite planners were, who had to change things. Memorial Day is no longer celebrated at the end of May, as it used to be, since somebody in his/her superior wisdom created all those three-day weekends regardless of the actual day to be observed.

I think they even wanted to include Veterans' Day, but somebody put a foot down on that idea, since it was a reminder of the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the original Armistice Day at the end of WW1.

And, while we're at it, where did "daylight savings time" originate, anyway? Another superior planner controlling the marionettes behind the screen?
:x

President Nixon signed the Monday Holiday Bill into law, making Memorial Day the last Monday of May, as well as putting other holidays on Mondays--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, President's Day, for example--on Monday to give people a three-day weekend.

Daylight Savings Time was originally proposed by Benjamin Franklin, who observed shopkeepers beginning work before dawn and working until after dusk. This used up a lot of expensive wax candles, and he wanted to curb that. But Daylight Savings Time as we know it came about, if I remember correctly, during WWII, when it was called War Time. Afterwards, it became DST. Originally it was the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October, but now they have it at the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November. I think April to October makes more sense. Changes like that are due to acts of Congress.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Edy, I LOVE both of those. I don't have the faintest idea how to do digital art but there's no doubt you can do some great work with it. Do you also paint with oils or do watercolors or what else? I've seen some of your art and was always impressed with the ethereal nature of it, sort of wispy, if you know what I mean. There never seemed to be any hard lines, just a lovely softness to your work. Have you framed any of it to hang in your house?

I gave up trying to sell clothing on Ebay. What a lot of work for so little in return! I think Ebay is like yard sales; they're great to buy things at a yard sale but terrible if you try to sell anything at your own yard sale. You're lucky to get a penny on the dollar, not to mention all the work in preparation for the sale, standing outside for several hours, then the agonizing clean-up. John is going to pack up all this stuff I didn't sell on Ebay and take it to Goodwill. I hope I've learned my lesson.

I smell something good coming from the kitchen. Dear John has been cooking and I can't wait!

Love you all. Have a blessed Sunday!
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:14 pm

DeeJay, you're handy to have around! Are you a history teacher, by any chance? It's fun to discover how we got "stuck" in some traditions that might seem baffling to us, today.

I don't see a lot of sense in bothering with DST, unless it is year round - set the clock ahead and leave it there forever! :P When I worked full time, in the winter it was always dark out, going to work and coming home.

BeachGrandma, I'm delighted that you like my art. I took a wonderful art class in high school that introduced us to art media I had never considered. I think the favorite thing I took from that class was learning to do block prints. That is fun! And, a person can do so much with them, duplicating them until it turns out just right.

Then in college I took an oil painting class. The regular professor taught us the Old Masters method (thin washes of color, building up so they glowed from within, like the blush on a child's cheek). The other teacher, an "artist in residence" fellow, I found mostly disappointing. He slapped gobs of paint on the canvas with a palate knife, which to a "starving artist" seemed terribly wasteful.

What I did learn from him, however, was that a tiny bit of such painting could be useful to add special highlights to an Old Masters-style painting, as a finishing touch.

Oil pastels are my favorite medium, but it leaves a lot of messy dust. I'm not much good at water color, because I have to overwork my stuff, too much. That is a no-no for water color. You have to know what you want and what you're doing before you put brush to paper. Not my style, I'm afraid.

So, that's my story. I probably got started as a toddler because we lived for awhile in a small trailer house. My play was sitting in the little breakfast nook with paper and crayons, making pictures. My mom claimed, later on when we lived in a parsonage, that she cut out a piece of wallpaper to save, where I had drawn a child walking, showing the bottom of the shoe. She didn't want to be like parents of famous artists she'd heard about who had discouraged their child from pursuing an art career. Bless her bumpity heart!

"Car 54: where are you?" Anybody remember that funny tv program? Well, I haven't seen much of Don around here, lately. I hope he and Betsy didn't get plowed over in one of the huge snow piles. Tomorrow morning we start on winter parking restrictions, at the end of this latest snow emergency. Everyone will have to park only on the odd-numbered side of the street, because the snow is piled so high everywhere that emergency vehicles cannot get through if both sides of the street are parked. I told Howard, since he's nearly a foot taller than I that he can throw the snow higher than I can. How discouraging to have it roll right back down the mountain! :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:01 pm

At one time (many moons ago) I did a lot of pencil art that turned out pretty good. To some degree I still use some of that talent to create and draw the pictures for my relief wood carvings.

I never did any painting other than the paint-by-the-number kits I did as a kid. Hey! I even stayed inside the lines!

Yeah, I've been sorta quiet lately. About 11-12 days ago I got hit with the worst head cold, chest congestion, and bronchitis that I can ever remember. I coughed until I thought I would pass out...constant sneezing, nose running, and head ache...body aches...sweating...weakness...and exhaustion. I finally turned the corner toward recovery a couple of days ago, but still have a long ways to go. My med prescription runs out tomorrow.

I have been so careful to stay away from the bugs with lots of hand-washing, avoiding contact with people, flu shot, eating healthy, etc. The bugs have been kept at bay for 5-6 years, but one slipped through my defenses this year.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Sorry you've been so sick, Don, but good to hear you're on the mend. Is Betsy staying well, so she can look after you? :wink:

Howard finished 10 days of antibiotics, today. He came home from church council retreat a couple weeks ago, feeling chilled and went to bed early. I suggested perhaps he should stay in on Sunday, but he didn't think so. But, when Sunday morning arrived, he was not able to go anywhere. He slept the entire day; I think he only woke long enough to drink a single cup of water.

Monday, we noticed how red his lower leg was, the one they took the vessel from for his coronary bypass surgery in 2012, that has bothered him ever since. I was pretty sure it looked and felt like cellulitis (red, hot and swollen) and so I sent him out to the VA clinic. They sent him to urgent care, there, where the doctor/nurse practitioner? told him it was good he came in and hadn't waited another day.

Meanwhile, I did some online research and discovered the long sleep and chills (no fever other than the localized hot lower leg) goes along with cellulitis. So, now we know. He's pretty much back to normal, now.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:08 am

Betsy is well, but there's not much she could do about it if I were not well and needed help.

Because I have lived alone for almost a full year, it is important that others know of my well-being on a daily basis. At my age accidents can happen without warning and serious illness can strike quickly leaving me unable to communicate...or worse. I carry a cell phone with me at all times, but might not be able to use it.

Several months ago I set up an early morning alert system with a contact group of six family members and friends. Each morning before 8:00am I send out a simple "I'm okay" email to the group. If the email is not received, then, they begin to call my house phone and cell phone. They will call each other if my phones are not answered. If contact with me is not made, or if no one is aware of my whereabouts, then, an immediate visit to my house is in order. They are all key-holders.

I just didn't want to be found dead in my house after laying there for several days. Also, there are concerns about Betsy's needs during those days.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:48 pm

In my backyard about 30' away from my deck is a large tree that is well over 2' in diameter. There is a big knot hole in the tree trunk about 20' from the ground, that is clearly visible from my patio door.

Late last fall I noticed squirrels going through the knot hole into what must obviously be a large internal cavity in the tree trunk. They were busy for a while hauling leaves and other debris into the cavity. Apparently, they were preparing a soft, warm winter home for themselves.

Today I discovered it was much more than that. It was also a nursery!

This afternoon I saw a baby squirrel peeking out through the knot hole. It seemed to be enjoying warm sunshine on its head while surveying the world outside.

Even with my binoculars I couldn't see if there was more than one "kid" in there, but I'll be watching for them.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi Friends,
Just checking in--been busy--and I see you all have, too.
Don, I hope you're better today, and I think your telephone check-in wisdom is very wise.
Edy and Mariane, Before I was born, I think the Lord said, "I don't think this girl is going to need any artistic talent to draw or paint, and so I didn't get any!
Last week--almost a foot of snow--this week 75 degrees--let's see what next week will bring.
I am thankful for every blessing, porch friends included!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:20 pm

Have you all heard this quartet sing "Amazing Grace?" I listened to it with my eyes closed and the harmony is just breathtaking. I had read somewhere that "Amazing Grace" is one of the world's 5 most famous and most loved hymn. The others are: "It Is Well with My Soul," "Silent Night," "How Great Thou Art" and "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."

http://www.morningstarmissionsblog.org/ ... 1481237582
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:42 pm

No, I'm not a history teacher; all my life I've enjoyed picking up bits and pieces of knowledge, whatever strikes my fancy. When I was a kid, Dad would go out and buy the Ripley's Believe It Or Not! paperbacks, and I would devour them. My parents also bought me several of the old Why and How Library of kid's books, plus we had encyclopedias, etc.--lots of great, kid-friendly books. Of course by now they're terribly old-fashioned, but still.....

I remember the old "Car 54, Where Are You?" series. Love the theme song, even though it's really out of date--Idyllwild airport is now Kennedy, and of course Kruschev (sp?) has been gone for quite some time. But I read somewhere that it mentions all five of New York City's boroughs, even if they're just features.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler